What's new

Thrips removal

Buddha1

Veteran
I stand corrected...:woohoo:.

You can't get "Monterey Garden Insect Spray" shipped to Canada.

But, you can get "Captain Jacks Deadbug" shipped to Canada through Amazon.ca, 16 oz. for $16.39 plus shipping.
Link to "Captain Jacks Deadbug": http://www.amazon.com/Bonide-252-Captain-Jacks-Concentrate/dp/B001VJBYMC

Captain Jack has the same claim as Monterey, and has the "Spinosad" as one of its main ingredients too...Almost exactly the same.

Here's a link to PDF for Captain Jacks: http://www.bonide.com/lbonide/backlabels/l252.pdf

I'm ordering it now...I'll let you all how it worked out in 7-12 business days.

Peace...B

Buddha1

Veteran
Since "Spinosad" is a relatively new pesticide, I thought it would be wise to be as informed as possible about products that use it. Here are the MSDS(Material Safety Data Sheet) sheets on both "Monterey Garden Insect Spray" and "Captain Jack's Deadbug".

Link to MSDS sheets for "MONTEREY GARDEN INSECT SPRAY":
http://www.biconet.com/botanicals/infosheets/MontereySprayMSDS.pdf

Link to MSDS sheets for "Bonide Captain Jack’s DeadBug Brew Concentrate":
http://www.biconet.com/crawlers/infosheets/captainJacksConcMSDS.pdf

I couldn't find any differences between the two products. They are both toxic to "Bee's" and "Marine Mollusks(snails and slugs etc.)"...DO NOT dump down drains or any place that can contaminate water sources(streams, lakes, etc.)...Be responsible!!

Peace...B

Up Date: I've been searching the interweb Last night and Today and I found a couple more points of useful information on "Spinosad".

1)Harm to Bee's...After Spinosad has dried for 3 hours there is low to minimal toxicity to Bumble Bee's and Honey Bee's.

2)Shelf life...The shelf life of Spinosad is 3 years, write the date on the bottle for calculating the age at each use.

Last edited:

Limeygreen

Veteran
Spinosad has been around at least 8 years in Canada if not longer. If wet sprayed it can harm beneficial mites, have never seen it hurt bumblebees though, systemically it doesn't appear harm beneficial mites or bees in my experience, this is hectares of commercial vegetable crops some with bees some without and some with beneficial mites. What it does in cannabis and what are the safe levels that should be used on this plant are what are not known, how long is the half life for it to be safe to smoke, what else can happen if used systemically on cannabis and for how for long and what affects can you expect, is 1 month safe is 3 days safe, is 6 months safe? Then I would ask how safe is it really when you smoke the product, eating it and you can wash it off like a fruit or vegetable? This does not just apply to spinosad in whatever form, if you use the brand name entrust which is the same as success (spinosad for commercial agriculture) but the organic forumlation, bugs build a resistance to this more quickly and cannot be used very often or you are in trouble.

This is one chemical naturally derived or not, what about the other chemicals people use or would like to use? How safe are they and what time period makes them safe and by what standard? These questions need to be answered and I doubt they will be answered any time soon as this is a new crop where there are not many chemicals registered for use yet and more have to be studied first. Health wise and environmental, predatory insects and preventative measures are going to be your best option to deal with these things and while you pay more, it's better in the long run, but that is my opinion.

HiFiGanja

Owning a hydro shop I cringe when I hear on how 50% of people out there use pesticides carelessly. Luckily there's enough of them that smoke their own weed that don't use green house pesticides or use them responsibly.

I might hate the MMPR but at least there is testing done on the weed having said that I'd take my chance with the law and grown my own than support those parasites.

Since "Spinosad" is a relatively new pesticide, I thought it would be wise to be as informed as possible about products that use it. Here are the MSDS(Material Safety Data Sheet) sheets on both "Monterey Garden Insect Spray" and "Captain Jack's Deadbug".

Link to MSDS sheets for "MONTEREY GARDEN INSECT SPRAY":
http://www.biconet.com/botanicals/infosheets/MontereySprayMSDS.pdf

Link to MSDS sheets for "Bonide Captain Jack’s DeadBug Brew Concentrate":
http://www.biconet.com/crawlers/infosheets/captainJacksConcMSDS.pdf

I couldn't find any differences between the two products. They are both toxic to "Bee's" and "Marine Mollusks(snails and slugs etc.)"...DO NOT dump down drains or any place that can contaminate water sources(streams, lakes, etc.)...Be responsible!!

Peace...B

Buddha1

Veteran
i got 2 500ml bottles of Montery Spinosad garden spray from a place called tree help or something like that

they have a store in Canada & the USA... so I dunno what happened but the 2 bottles came within a week. No problems, no customs.

A personal import notice came with it.. seemed to be shipped from within Canada. Although the site said not available in Canada. hmmm. lol

i got em for $18 each

It may be as simple as asking at your usual "Hydro" shop...

I was at a buddy's regular hydro shop last Wednesday afternoon, we were talking about "Spinosad"...the owner over heard us, he had it behind the counter for the regulars. $40 for a bottle of concentrate(mix...1.5ml per litre...Fingers crossed, people DON'T over use and create Superbugs"), it would make 64 litres of spray. He's going to check and see if it can be used as a dip for baby's/clones and get back to us.

Remember, If we use common sense we will not hurt ourselves or anyone else!!!...Never adjust the strength of the mixing instructions and always use the standard PPE(Goggles or glasses, head wrap, long sleeve shirt, respirator(Full face is best), and rubber gloves...Wash cloths and shower ASAP!, when finished applying), when using any and all pesticides. Give the application 24 hours to dry before entering the room again.

Peace...B

Last edited:

HiFiGanja

I was at a buddy's regular hydro shop last Wednesday afternoon, we were talking about "Spinosad"...the owner over heard us, he had it behind the counter for the regulars. $40 for a bottle of concentrate(mix...1.5ml per litre...Fingers crossed, people DON'T over use and create Superbugs"), it would make 64 litres of spray. He's going to check and see if it can be used as a dip for baby's/clones and get back to us.

Remember, If we use common sense we will not hurt ourselves or anyone else!!!...Never adjust the strength of the mixing instructions and always use the standard PPE(Goggles or glasses, head wrap, long sleeve shirt, respirator(Full face is best), and rubber gloves...Wash cloths and shower ASAP!, when finished applying), when using any and all pesticides. Give the application 24 hours to dry before entering the room again.

Peace...B

It should be 1.3-1.5 ml per gallon. 364ml/1000L/ha No more than 3 applications per year.

Buddha1

Veteran

Peace...B

It should be 1.3-1.5 ml per gallon. 364ml/1000L/ha No more than 3 applications per year.

Mixing instructions depend on the concentration/strength of available product.

The "Spinosad" that you can get must be a much stronger concentration, not all container(s) of the same product are at the same strength...Always read the label or ask for a print out of the mix instructions, the counter person should be more than willing to oblige.

I apologize if I was not clear...

The point I was making was...that "Spinosad" could be available within Canada if you are familiar to the Hydro store owner/employee.

Peace...B

med-man

The TRUMP of SKUNK: making skunk loud again!
Boutique Breeder
ICMag Donor
Veteran
get some fine sand if you are in soil.soiless

adults will only last so long not being able to get in the roots zone, and larvea will not be able to escape

wholistic remedy

spraying will usually get the adults and teens. biger issues lay in the soil.

if you like soil drench and spray still use azamax then get some lacewigs to pred em

med-man

Rabbi

Owning a hydro shop I cringe when I hear on how 50% of people out there use pesticides carelessly. Luckily there's enough of them that smoke their own weed that don't use green house pesticides or use them responsibly.

I might hate the MMPR but at least there is testing done on the weed having said that I'd take my chance with the law and grown my own than support those parasites.
For the record I only use pesticides in veg lol.

Buddha1

Veteran
For the record I only use pesticides in veg lol.

I also, only use pesticides in Veg...Once I flip...there in the "Lady Bug's" hands(there's a couple that have taken up permanent residents in my flower room...:)).

Peace...B

Buddha1

Veteran
And then?

I have shut down for the Summer...as always.

At this time of year, it's sun and fun that are the priorities. I will be up and running next fall once again and I will post my findings on "Spinosad" and "Thrips".

Peace...B

PS. I hope those that are continuing through the Summer months and trying "Spinosad" out, post there findings too!...Happy Summer Y'all.

Thx...B

Last edited:

Pragma

No need to post your findings or look for any1 elses...
Spinosad is proven and the best solution for thrips.
It will kill them ALL instantly and linger around to kill the young ones that do hatch.

I've used it multiple times and have never needed to spray more than once..

It's a main ingredient in some flea sprays btw..

Since you're in Canada your best bet is to get it from ebay.

HidingInTheHaze

Veteran
I've got thrips myself, I dont know how the hell I would have got them unless I brought them in from outside.

I've been chopping the most heavily infected plants and throwing the plants into a bucket of soapy water.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Figured it was a wash but as they say, ask the locals. Off to ebay it is. Found one larvae yesterday on a pepper and I don't need the shits coming inside.

Buddha1

Veteran
don't even bother with Ebay. trust me.

this place - Treehelp.com is the ticket for Canada.

http://www.treehelp.com/garden-insect-spray-with-spinosad/

they have a US store and Canadian store.... my 2 bottles of Spinosad came in 1 week. No customs. No problems.

It says on website - NOT AVAILABLE IN CANADA - however I emailed them after reading posts on other canna sites... they said "IT SHOULDN'T BE A PROBLEM." I took that as a "YES" and 1 week later I was thrip free.

you can thank me when the thrips are gone and you have that great feeling of kicking some insect asses and a clean room to boot.

Order 2 bottles . save little on each. 3 year shelf life. done and done. merry xmas

The Treehelp web page is now "Book marked"...thanks!

I got the Captain Jacks Deadbug(the same as Garden Insect Spray with Spinosad) from Horse lovers website(link below)...They deliver within Canada, no problems.

Only thing that I didn't like was there shipping and duty costs.
Total shipment cost for 1 quart of CJDB considerate with Spinosad, was $62.00, this included the Canadian to American exchange rate, duty, shipping and the product price its self of $25.
I didn't like it, but, I figured the $62 was cheap at twice the price...considering the alternative(an ongoing fight with Thrips).

https://www.horseloverz.com/search/main/captain jacks deadbug/

Peace...B

PS. G.O.T....What are the shipping and duty costs from Treehelp.com???