What's new

Thrips removal

HiFiGanja

Spinosad , spinosad, and then some more spinosad.
Seriously, for thrips spinosad is the best and easiest solution.
Will almost instantly kill them all and its not harmful to humans.

Right and the manufacturers usage labels are just things you read while sitting on the shitter.

growshopfrank

Veteran
Spinosad is very effective for thrips no doubt
A couple of downsides are how damaging it is to bees and aquatics
If you have dogs or cats read the list of ingredients on their flea and tick remedy's most are avermectin and spinosad, little food for thought.

Ras Mason

Veteran
The original Azamax (with lemonene) is actually better at ridding you of thrips than spidermites.
Use in the root zone and foliar spray as well.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15366583

Not to be used without care but it is far less of a danger to the environment than traditional pesticides. Sunlight is the primary catalyst for breakdown in surface soil, foliage and exposed bodies of water (in other words don't pour excess down the drain, as with most products).

Buddha1

Veteran
Wow!!

There's a lot of growers that hate the Thrips...Never figured this small Q&A thread would generate so much interest in such a short time.

To put everyone's minds at ease, I only use behind the counter cures from the Hydro store if I'm at "My wits end"...I only use it in the Vegetative stage...I only use it once each crop and I all ways use the standard PPE, such as...Glasses, Masks, Long Sleeved Shirts, Head Rap and Surgical Rubber Gloves...Once I'm done, everything goes in the washing machine and I take a long shower. I have been an industrial worker(until I was medically retired) for over 35 years and am well aware of the dangers of Chemicals and how they can leach in through the skin and should be washed off the body ASAP after use.

As far as the product "Stink", I have never heard it called "Stink Bomb", only "Stink", I bought 1 bottle(small eye dropper bottle) and it took 3 crops to use that 1 bottle up...It most likely didn't work because I only used it once per crop. But, be assured, I'm done with it, it didn't work and I hate using chemical...EVER!

But, I do thank you all for the genuine concerns...:).

Spinosad...I got this from Wikipedia. Below is a copy paste of the first few paragraphs. I think I am going on a active hunt for this stuff(Spinosad)...its non-toxic, made from natural products and I believe classified as an organic pesticide(not sure...Haven't had time to research yet)...Very interested in adding "Spinosad" to my arsenal.

Wikipedia said:
Spinosad is an insecticide based on chemical compounds found in the bacterial species Saccharopolyspora spinosa. The genus of Saccharopolyspora was discovered in 1985 in isolates from crushed sugar cane which produce yellowish-pink aerial hyphae, with bead-like chains of spores enclosed in a characteristic hairy sheath.[1] This genus is defined as aerobic, gram-positive, non-acid-fast actinomycetes with fragmenting substrate mycelium. S. spinosa was isolated from soil collected inside a non-operational sugar mill rum still in the Virgin Islands. Spinosad is a mixture of chemical compounds in the spinosyn family that has a generalized structure consisting of a unique tetracyclic ring system attached to an amino sugar (D-forosamine) and a neutral sugar (tri-Ο-methyl-L-rhamnose).[2] Spinosad is relatively non-polar and not easily dissolved in water.[3]

Spinosad is a novel mode-of-action insecticide derived from a family of natural products obtained by fermentation of S. spinosa. Spinosyns occur in over 20 natural forms, and over 200 synthetic forms (spinosoids) have been produced in the lab.[4] Spinosad contains a mix of two spinosoids, spinosyn A, the major component, and spinosyn D (the minor component), in an approximately 17:3 ratio.[1]

Here's a link to Wikipedia complete write up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinosad

Mikell, thx...I did find the Tangle Foot last night at Canadian tire and bought the tub...10-12 bucks plus tax. I made some sticky's...Blue and Pink...I'll let everyone know which color works best.

Thanks everyone for the very useful information.

Peace...B

cr0n

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use Monterey Garden insect spray. Works well I had the thing for literally like 3-4 years. Get thrips on occasion 1-2 applications, done.

bigbag

Veteran
Bayer Admire, is a product that systemically wipes out thrip's and gnat's, for a long while...can't say that I'd give it the two thumb's up for consuming, but certainly will clean thing's up in a large scale grow with one application...;)

Buddha1

Veteran
Been looking for "Spinosad" all over the net tonight, trying to find a place that sells it in Canada. I was hoping I could go to one of the larger chain stores and just pick it up and go home....No such luck. The only source in Canada of "Spinosad", that I can find so far is "Monterey Garden insect spray" and its only available online. I found this webpage https://www.planetnatural.com/product/monterey-garden-insect-spray-spinosad/ that carries it for a decent price and its a concentrate, not a ready mix...Pint/$15.95...Quart/$26.95.

I have no idea how reliable this "Planet Natural" company is, but with everyone here ranting about how good "Spinosad" and "Monterey Garden insect spray" is for getting rid of Thrips, I'm going to risk the $26.95 and order a quart.

If I can finally get rid of those little creeps...Its well worth the chance.

Peace...B

HiFiGanja

There are no consumer products in Canada that contain spinosad. There are only commercial grades ones and much stronger (around 20% spinosad) than the Monteray one.

Been looking for "Spinosad" all over the net tonight, trying to find a place that sells it in Canada. I was hoping I could go to one of the larger chain stores and just pick it up and go home....No such luck. The only source in Canada of "Spinosad", that I can find so far is "Monterey Garden insect spray" and its only available online. I found this webpage https://www.planetnatural.com/product/monterey-garden-insect-spray-spinosad/ that carries it for a decent price and its a concentrate, not a ready mix...Pint/$15.95...Quart/$26.95.

I have no idea how reliable this "Planet Natural" company is, but with everyone here ranting about how good "Spinosad" and "Monterey Garden insect spray" is for getting rid of Thrips, I'm going to risk the $26.95 and order a quart.

If I can finally get rid of those little creeps...Its well worth the chance.

Peace...B

catalyte

Veteran
good topic,

i was just milling over university papers that studied the use of Spinosad and one thing i wanted to feed back on is "Are any of you using Spinosad to get rid of other pests like Whiteflies and Gnats with any success?"

most of these papers suggest that Spinosad is not only effective in destroying thrips but also Whiteflies and Gnats.... i wonder how true this is?

growshopfrank

Veteran
good topic,

i was just milling over university papers that studied the use of Spinosad and one thing i wanted to feed back on is "Are any of you using Spinosad to get rid of other pests like Whiteflies and Gnats with any success?"

most of these papers suggest that Spinosad is not only effective in destroying thrips but also Whiteflies and Gnats.... i wonder how true this is?

Works well on two spotted spider mites as well.

HiFiGanja

good topic,

For gnats Nemasys works really good http://betterplants.basf.us/products/nemasys-bio-insecticide.html also Vectobac which is BTI. With Vectobac you need to feed it in every 7-10 for 4+ times to kill the life cycle of the infestation. You still have to kill the flies while you're suing it as they lay eggs.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Works well on two spotted spider mites as well.

Apparently works as a soil drench against TSSM more effectively than a foliar, though it's yet to be proven conclusively. One grower here claimed success. I convinced another to try it, but never heard back.

Buddha, grab some babies from a clonehouse and figure it out for us, eh?

:laughing:

Limeygreen

Veteran
Spinosad doesn't work on whiteflies in my experience, this is on commercial levels of vegetables. It can help suppress thrips and this is why 2 or 3 applications are needed to interrupt the life cycle. Admire really only is effective on onion thrips and I have not seen it work on western flower thrips to a satisfactory level. Spinosad I have had success on gnats but I prefer vectobac myself.

Safer soap or insecticidal soap in 2 or 3 applications works well to kill thrips as well. Biological controls such as swriskii can help keep populations down as to some extent white fly.

Chemicals used in my opinion only on stock plants as there may not be enough studies done on them in cannabis to see what residual amount is safe for consumption, clean flowering areas and grow areas, with sticky traps for monitoring and biological insects and or biological insecticides are the future and a better way of thinking. This is my opinion as I have seen people use the same products year after year and the insects build a resistance, they are not building a resistance to the biological insects or insecticides yet. Just because it is it biological though doesn't mean it is safe to smoke, but if there is a few mites or thrips in the flowers, off to Valhalla with them.

Buddha1

Veteran
There are no consumer products in Canada that contain spinosad. There are only commercial grades ones and much stronger (around 20% spinosad) than the Monteray one.

You are correct 100% HiFi.

Planet Natural doesn't deliver to Canada...Period.

I then called "Johnny's Direct Seeds", they deliver to Canada but not the "Monterey Garden Insect Spray"...They said they doubted if anyone would ship the Monterey into Canada.
Link to Johnny's: http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-7206-m...ntAdv&zmam=80483139&zmas=1&zmac=3&zmap=9481.0

I did find it on "Amazon" for $41.44 including ground shipping, but my happiness ended as soon as I call the company that was shipping it..."Wayfair", they ship to Canada, but not the Monterey.
Link to Wayfair: http://www.wayfair.com/Monterey-Garden-Insect-Concentrate-MNW1046.html

Guess I'll see if the Hydro shop can get it in and sell it from under the counter...It will be pricey, but better than "Thrips".

Peace...B

vancityj

Having struggled with thrips for a while, I purchased a 16oz bottle of 'Conserve Naturalyte' (spinosad) on eBay for $24.95, plus $24.99 for USPS Priority Mail International to Canada. Best $50 I ever spent. As has been mentioned, spinosad isn't available in Canada, but one shouldn't have a problem ordering a bottle or two. 16oz will provide 8 gallons at about 60ml per. I sprayed young veg plants four times on four day intervals, which completely eradicated the problem when nothing else seemed to. This was about two years ago, and there's been no sign of them since.

HiFiGanja

Having struggled with thrips for a while, I purchased a 16oz bottle of 'Conserve Naturalyte' (spinosad) on eBay for $24.95, plus $24.99 for USPS Priority Mail International to Canada. Best $50 I ever spent. As has been mentioned, spinosad isn't available in Canada, but one shouldn't have a problem ordering a bottle or two. 16oz will provide 8 gallons at about 60ml per. I sprayed young veg plants four times on four day intervals, which completely eradicated the problem when nothing else seemed to. This was about two years ago, and there's been no sign of them since.

That's only .5% Spinosad. The commercial stuff in Canada is 22% and costs around $580 for 1L.