What's new

Thousands of plants seized in Northern California Sweep...Mandatory Min 10 years!!

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
http://www.insidebayarea.com/oaklandtribune/localnews/ci_15432414?source=rss

Thousands of pot plants seized in Northern California sweep

By Cecily Burt
Oakland Tribune
Posted: 07/04/2010 12:01:00 AM PDT

More than 150 law enforcement agents fanned out across Northern California last week to shut down a crime ring police say is responsible for running a network of marijuana grow operations potentially worth millions of dollars.
Nine people were arrested and about 2,500 pot plants were seized from seven indoor grow houses in Sacramento, Elk Grove, San Jose, Milpitas and Oakland.
With the exception of the Oakland residence in the 6600 block of Foothill Boulevard, all of the grows were pirating electricity by bypassing the utility meters and installing separate circuits, said Gordon Taylor, assistant special agent in charge at the Drug Enforcement Agency's Sacramento district office.
Another home in Elk Grove had been used as a grow house for several months but had been dismantled by the time 15 federal search warrants were served at several locations Wednesday, including the San Francisco address of a suspected supervisor within the ring.
Taylor said the grow operations had the capacity to produce more than a ton of pot a year with an estimated street value of nearly $10 million. During the months-long investigation, law enforcement officers observed the growers coming and going with bags they suspected were used for holding pounds of marijuana and bags of growing equipment.
All of the grow houses were within residential neighborhoods, and could have placed other residents at risk.
"In six of the grows, the electrical meter
Advertisement

had been bypassed and they created their own circuit," he said. "It's very dangerous, obviously from the perspective of potential fire hazard, but there's also extreme danger from home-invasion robberies. We've seen that going on throughout the state with the increase of indoor grows."
Elk Grove police initiated the investigation and sought assistance from the DEA; Immigrations, Customs and Enforcement; and the IRS-Criminal Investigation Division. Several federal, state and local law enforcement agencies also worked on the investigation.
The number of plants recovered at each grow operation varied, with the largest haul of 1,097 plants coming from a home on the 9200 block of Balboa Park in Elk Grove, followed by 493 plants from a home in the 800 block of Stickroth Drive in Milpitas, and 359 plants from a home on the 2700 block of Rainfield Drive in San Jose.
Only 10 plants were recovered from the Oakland residence, but agents did seize 15 pounds of processed pot there and arrested Diep Hoang Vu, 38, a suspected worker at the grow houses. Vu has an extensive criminal history that includes a 16-year prison sentence for a felony rape conviction.
Also arrested were Chien Minh Le, 41, and Thuy Thi Tran, 51, both of Oakland; Nhung Thi Vu, 51, of San Francisco; Hung Ngoc Pham, 28, Cuong Thoi Long, 54, and Phuong Pham, 35, all of Sacramento; Quoc Bui Long, 44, of San Jose; and Tuan Chu, 28, a Vietnamese citizen, whose residence is unknown.
All are charged with conspiracy to manufacture marijuana and manufacturing marijuana, which carry a minimum of 10 years in prison to a maximum of life in prison and a fine up to $4 million.
They also are charged with maintaining a place for manufacturing marijuana, which carries a maximum prison term and a fine up to $500,000, if convicted.

Huge vietnames ring busted up today....hopefully not related to any of my brokers lol. but seriously......minimum of TEN YEARS???? holy crap...guess california aint as safe as everyone thinks.

Some of yall might think...`screw those viet commercial growers`...but this should come as a shock to anyone wishing to set up big grows.

Thou shall not steal....................................or you get caught. FOOLS. They didn't make enough with the plant? They had to steal electric to increase profits? Idiots.

BigBudBill

I dont understand why idiots like this didn't get an industrial location in Oakland. Easier and safer than their current multi-location. Not to mention cheaper rent($.30/sq ft) and electricity. Dorks!

Last edited:

Phedrosbenny

Trying to have a good day
Veteran
Thou shall not steal....................................or you get caught. FOOLS. They didn't make enough with the plant? They had to steal electric to increase profits? Idiots.

Lols...they were stealing the electric because that much power would have tipped off the pigs.

redspaghetti

love machine
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^So they tipped off the pigs by stealing the power... Which way is better to tip off the cops?

If they did not steal power, they would've been caught the first time they turn on all the lights,

stealing power gave them an extra harvest or 2 before getting bust,

sometime common sense doesnt kick in, mostly morning time ;)
cheers,
red.

mrdizzle

they wouldnt have been busted for using power, everyone in cali burns lights, a small garden is 8000w, Im sure that there is an orginized crime unit that got the ball rolling

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Agreed, I flip on 16kw every night (plus a few K in veg) and cops aren't at my door. Power theft is a dirtbag trick used by lazy or greedy growers, and the power companies are clearly smart enough to figure out when its occurring.

Pay for your power! The utilities don't want to rat out their best customers (not valid on BC Hydro or in Florida.)

killabyte

good....

fuck these clowns, no love in what they do. At least it gives police something to do, y'know keep em off the streets and out of trouble I say.

amstercal

I agree with BBB. They charge you a lot less for electric in an industrial space. They were just greedy and stupid.

redspaghetti

love machine
ICMag Donor
Veteran
they wouldnt have been busted for using power, everyone in cali burns lights, a small garden is 8000w, Im sure that there is an orginized crime unit that got the ball rolling

Im sure they are not using 10 - 20k like the average com op on here :), but i do agree that they're stupid, there are other ways to run big op without getting caught

cheers,
red.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
I agree with BBB. They charge you a lot less for electric in an industrial space. They were just greedy and stupid.

Uhhhh I call BS! I'm pretty sure CA business rates are WAY more than residential rates. I don't live there just compare notes with friends.

:joint:

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
maybe they owned the homes?
dual investment of sorts.....

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
Standard Viet grow ring M.O..

They should've been in Canada, then the leader just would have to pay a fine and serve 6months.

If you do the math it is not that 'Stupid' to steal power, considering how many other laws they were already breaking. I for one pay for mine, but even with cheap electricity in Colorado, it is still my second largest operating expense behind rent.

But you gotta appreciate the mentality of these Vietnamese grows. "If I am breaking one law, why not break all of them?".

amstercal

I do live in CA. I can't say what the rates are for commercial spaces, but from having actually paid bills on both, light industrial is MUCH cheaper than residential.

Im sure they are not using 10 - 20k like the average com op on here :), but i do agree that they're stupid, there are other ways to run big op without getting caught

cheers,
red.

Look, they had 7 locations! Even 10k per location is way more than enough to grow 2500 plants. Probably over kill considering they were probably vegging and cloning some of those 2500 plants... Probably 4-5k per house for flowering... That would MAKE SENSE.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
just another stupid attempt to make more money by not paying the PGE guys. Here in cali all they want is there money. They know we grow they dont care just pay them and they will leave you be.

Commercial rates for electricity in Oakland are .13 cents per KW hr. Anyone who runs more then 3 lights in cali who has pg&e knows their bullsh*t teir system gets you for .49 cents per KW hr. No brainer on the warehouse...