What's new

Thoughts on a new room design, input pls.

SRGB

DaveTheNewbie:
if i didnt want to move away from coco to an inert medium this is what i would do. Ive read your posts and they do inspire me. If the PPK doesnt come thru this is the next plan.

Hi, DaveTheNewbie.

Thanks.

Some of the illustrations of experiments from the linked thread were inert medium. Pumice, perlite, calcined clay, gravel. Each could be used as a standalone substrate. We did find pumice to calcined clay, approximately four to one, to be a versatile and reusable soilless mix.

Our previous post was to share our findings relevant to watering as little as possible, in those inert mediums; to accurately determine the margins of drought, turgor pressure stability and surplus run-off depletion rate over a given period.

A possible gardening experiment might be to try various inert media and mixtures and different watering intervals; to find the mixture that might suit your watering methods. The plants or trees might tend to adapt to the methods of the gardener, within an appreciable range. Experimenting might tend to find the extremes of ranges; the median water or nutrient solution input stability interval, or equilibrium (e.g, water:eek:xygen:root mass), for that particular media mix - coupled with the gardeners particular range of watering - or desire to water the plants or trees and further experiment in the various methods, systems.

Best,
/SRGB/

D

DaveTheNewbie

ok so ive been reading the SRGB/Bobble thread regarding passive float drain to not waste thread and my mind is racing. Im thinking of all sorts of crazy things.

I have a question for all you experts to weigh in on :

I have a flower tent thats approx 4 foot x 8 foot in a rectangle

right now i have 3 x 600w in a column in the middle and 4 plants arranged around the column. really the tent should be square for this not rectangle, but thats life.

It looks kinda like this :
picture.php

the red is the light column of 3
the green circles are the plants and the green lines are the imaginary surface of the plant after they are tied back to the screens.
of course in reality its not all straight lines and sharp corners, its all curved.

I was wondering if i wouldnt be better off with the 3 lights in 3 seperate parts of the tent. one smack in the middle, one on the far left and one on the far right. the 4 plants would be 2 on the top wall and 2 on the bottom wall givng equal light to all 4 plants. Im wondering if this would be better due to heat and light spread, or worse cause the 2 side lights are only lighting 180 degrees of plant.

it looks like this :
picture.php

it wouldnt be a big change as far as what i have to do, but would it help or hinder?

EDIT : as an aside im really struggling not throwing out everything and moving to the SRGB/Bobble passive float drain to not waste WTF hybrid thingy. Also known as the SRGBBPFDTNWWTFHT.

SRGB

DaveTheNewbie:
ok so ive been reading the SRGB/Bobble thread regarding passive float drain to not waste thread and my mind is racing. Im thinking of all sorts of crazy things.

I have a question for all you experts to weigh in on :

I have a flower tent thats approx 4 foot x 8 foot in a rectangle

right now i have 3 x 600w in a column in the middle and 4 plants arranged around the column. really the tent should be square for this not rectangle, but thats life.

It looks kinda like this :
View Image
the red is the light column of 3
the green circles are the plants and the green lines are the imaginary surface of the plant after they are tied back to the screens.
of course in reality its not all straight lines and sharp corners, its all curved.

I was wondering if i wouldnt be better off with the 3 lights in 3 seperate parts of the tent. one smack in the middle, one on the far left and one on the far right. the 4 plants would be 2 on the top wall and 2 on the bottom wall givng equal light to all 4 plants. Im wondering if this would be better due to heat and light spread, or worse cause the 2 side lights are only lighting 180 degrees of plant.

it looks like this :
View Image

it wouldnt be a big change as far as what i have to do, but would it help or hinder?

EDIT : as an aside im really struggling not throwing out everything and moving to the SRGB/Bobble passive float drain to not waste WTF hybrid thingy. Also known as the SRGBBPFDTNWWTFHT.

Hi, DaveTheNewbie.

To preface, we would not consider ourselves "experts"; simply fellow travelers. You might be able to see your own gardening space from various perspectives.

Not sure what your ultimate goal is with reconfiguration of your lighting and specimen.

Having all three light sources in the same central location might tend to limit the ability of light to thoroughly illuminate either far side of the garden, in an rectangular shaped area.

If you are simply considering experimenting with different lighting configurations, one option might be something similar to

<-- 8' -->

......2'....2'....2'
-------------------------
|:::::::::::::::::::::::|
|::X::O::X::O::X::O::X::|

where

X = specimen

O = light source.

An optional perspective might take on three light sources positioned every two feet from either perimeter, with specimens between.

Not sure what you mean by "better off". If you are attempting to evenly distribute light in a rectangular area, centralizing a light source might tend to decrease the intensity available to the perimeter lines, due to the distance the light has to travel (four feet).

It might be advantageous to experiment in your own garden with your own individual concepts; you might be the gardener that could best determine their viability and functionality in your own garden.

Throwing out everything might begin another direction of continued experiments. If you like experimenting, it might be advantageous to continue experimenting; irrespective of any others` shared experiments.

The thread that you referred to is simply an experimental thread. It is not posted to be any sort of exclusive solution to soilless gardening. Just a thread about shared concepts. We are not certain about each of the acronyms that you have combined to reference the concepts presented in the thread; however, we do respect your perspective and individual expression.

We hope that this post might be helpful.

Kind regards,
/SRGB/

D

DHF

You know Dave.......3 stacked bulbs are basically for increased plant numbers in a square setup as yas stated , and even though yas got crazy ass sativa dominant genetics yas`re dealin with that stretch to the ceiling of the tent......

There`s just too much light in that rectangle for the lack of plant matter in said room to benefit from up top....and.....addin insult to injury with your extreme outdoor temps in deep summer , while......

It`s causin your environment to be worse fucked with low low humidity and waaay too high ambient temps just ta get the lumens up for plant penetration/absorption ......IOW......

In smaller areas yas can get by with less watts per sq ft if it`s fuckin up the grow area environment...especially when yas are only runnin 4 plants in the room.......and......

I know youre havin all kindsa hiccups with extreme heat and low humidity , so whatever yas come up with to get past it with ppk`s or other setups to get past your blumat shortcomings hopefully.....

Will give yas passive reservoirs with water/nutrient solution for the plants to acclimate to the harsh environmental surroundings and possibly help to increase RH " inside " the grow area........

Try 2 bulbs spaced equally side by side in the 8' length with plants on both sides of the bulbs to try and get hold of your environment before adding more watts per sq ft......anyways....

Environment first ......THEN add watts per sq ft......Good luck and......

Peace....DHF.....:ying:......

D

DaveTheNewbie

To preface, we would not consider ourselves "experts"; simply fellow travelers.

i dont get hung up on titles, some people do.

Not sure what your ultimate goal is with reconfiguration of your lighting and specimen.

1 : having fun playing with things
2 : improving bottom line yields by having fun playing with things

If you are simply considering experimenting with different lighting configurations, one option might be something similar to

|::X::O::X::O::X::O::X::|

An optional perspective might take on three light sources positioned every two feet from either perimeter, with specimens between.

another perspective i didnt consider. thats what i was hoping for. As long as i have an even number of plants , my way of vegging half of the room, then the other half 4 weeks later works :)

It might be advantageous to experiment in your own garden with your own individual concepts; you might be the gardener that could best determine their viability and functionality in your own garden.

i do, often. I dont think i have run 2 crops with the same config yet.

Throwing out everything might begin another direction of continued experiments. If you like experimenting, it might be advantageous to continue experimenting; irrespective of any others` shared experiments.

i need discipline to not do this every second week :)

We are not certain about each of the acronyms that you have combined to reference the concepts presented in the thread; however, we do respect your perspective and individual expression.

i was joking about. i guess my idea of humor and yours are not a 100% match :)

We hope that this post might be helpful.

always

You know Dave.......3 stacked bulbs are basically for increased plant numbers in a square setup as yas stated , and even though yas got crazy ass sativa dominant genetics yas`re dealin with that stretch to the ceiling of the tent......

i think i know where your going with this, and i think you have told me before ...

There`s just too much light in that rectangle for the lack of plant matter in said room to benefit from up top....and.....addin insult to injury with your extreme outdoor temps in deep summer , while......

It`s causin your environment to be worse fucked with low low humidity and waaay too high ambient temps just ta get the lumens up for plant penetration/absorption ......IOW......

yup its too much. too much light, too much heat, too much everything. I still Believe that I can pull a consistent 1GPW in this setup as long as i can get a consistent watering system. I get near it or over it with some plants while others are not even half way there and the inconsistency i can only put down to watering discrepencies.

I know youre havin all kindsa hiccups with extreme heat and low humidity , so whatever yas come up with to get past it with ppk`s or other setups to get past your blumat shortcomings hopefully.....

Will give yas passive reservoirs with water/nutrient solution for the plants to acclimate to the harsh environmental surroundings and possibly help to increase RH " inside " the grow area........

its a theory im hoping will work too :)

Try 2 bulbs spaced equally side by side in the 8' length with plants on both sides of the bulbs to try and get hold of your environment before adding more watts per sq ft......anyways....

thats what i started with : 2 donuts of 4 plants each with its own light in its own half of the tent. worked great. was booring.

Environment first ......THEN add watts per sq ft......Good luck and......

the problem with environment and where i live is not just how how it gets in summer but that its literally freezing in winter. I have as much problems with frozen medium/roots as i do with heat. Its a game of compromise some days.

Peace....DHF.....:ying:......

glad to have you back, freddy!

D

DaveTheNewbie

the other thought i had was just 2 plants inbetween 3 lights, a bit like what SRGB said without the side plants.
Somebody else suggested 1 big plant with all 3 lights wrapped around it

hotboxes

that would be the way to go dave the only thing is you gotta veg that sucker out for a bit to get it big enough to hit your #'s but It will, look at heath and what he used to pull. 76 ounces from one plant is just sick but its not all about lights, he had everything else dialed in lights are only 10% of the whole picture once you realize that you will be better off IMHO. good luck in what you decide.

D

DaveTheNewbie

that would be the way to go dave the only thing is you gotta veg that sucker out for a bit to get it big enough to hit your #'s but It will, look at heath and what he used to pull. 76 ounces from one plant is just sick but its not all about lights, he had everything else dialed in lights are only 10% of the whole picture once you realize that you will be better off IMHO. good luck in what you decide.

which would be the way to go?
ive got like 4 different configs in the last 2 posts and now im confused ... true it doesnt take much :)

RM - aquagrower

If I recall, you are vegging in 1 tent and flowering in another, all in the same room? Any way to post the details of the room that the tents are in? (sorry if ya already have and I missed it).

What I'm geeting to, is there any reason ya can't continue to veg in a tent, and flower in the room outside of the veg tent? Might open up other config posabilities, as well as "add volume" to the flowering area, making it a bit easier to controll temps.

D

DaveTheNewbie

If I recall, you are vegging in 1 tent and flowering in another, all in the same room? Any way to post the details of the room that the tents are in? (sorry if ya already have and I missed it).

What I'm geeting to, is there any reason ya can't continue to veg in a tent, and flower in the room outside of the veg tent? Might open up other config posabilities, as well as "add volume" to the flowering area, making it a bit easier to controll temps.

i really like the way you think
the room with 2 tents also has a few rezzies and is so full that there isnt room for the control bucket for the upcoming PPK. Its that crowded

RM - aquagrower

Sounds like maybe a good time to re-configure the layout of your equipment. I'm not a real big fan of the tents. 2x3's and osb are cheap. Once screwed together, partitions, shelves, ect can be made to fit and broken down easily if/when needed.

Post up some sketches if ya like. I'm sure that the great minds here can come up with some ideas to get the most out of your available space.

bobblehead

Veteran
Yeah boi! Just think Dave, you could build your own grow lab! It's the only way to go. Tents are nice too... But the 1 tent I bought had the zippers break, light leaks, and all those stupid metal poles! 2x4's and OSB are your friends.

hotboxes

which would be the way to go?
ive got like 4 different configs in the last 2 posts and now im confused ... true it doesnt take much :)

I meant the single plant with lights in a triangle around it, or a diamond shape

X O X
O X O
X O X

something like this X=plants O=lights I know you only have 3 lights, Really there is nothing wrong with how you have it except for your environment being altered in the summer season. I bet if you just pulled a light out from the middle your radiated heat index will drop some and possibly to an easier controlled temperature. Also spread the plants apart a little more, don't veg them as long so you can get in there and manage them by training, trimming, ect.

Work off of your environment then add your lights depending on season, do the bulk of your growing in the cooler winter months and scale it back in the summer time when your environment is harder to control.

D

DaveTheNewbie

i only have 1 room and building something light proof so i can veg and flower in the same room sucks. i would have to make doors and stuff. apart from the doors its easy. anyway the tents are there now.
i used to have a set of cabs in there that i made of cubelok aluminimum and panda. they were pretty sexy. then the ex-wife made it all go away.

at this point im really leaning towards vegging 1 plant for 4 weeks in a PPK, topping the shit outta it and making a monster. haveing 2 of these monsters in the flower cab, either around the 3 light column or 1 in the middle and 1 on each side kinda like SRGB said.

Im just hoping the PPK will allow me to grow the right sized plant in 4 weeks if the clone is well established before.

RM - aquagrower

Lightproof doors ain't too hard to build.

After skinning the outter wall, save the "drop" ya cut out for the door opening as this will fit perfectly in the new opening. Frame around the outside with 1x4, overlapping the new door. A little weatherstripping, a barrel lock, and a piano hinge, and you're in there like swimware.

D

DaveTheNewbie

because of this little issue :
picture.php

i had to veg for an extra week. I topped the big plant to keep it under reasonable height while the little one caught up.
sure one plant is still bushier and going to yield more, but the bigger problem is the week with an empty flower room. such is life.
picture.php

i will finish assembling the PPK tomorrow and post pics of it in action.

the week 5 querkles are looking sweet :)
picture.php

hotboxes

Oh the PPK will definitely grow you a monster in 4 weeks bro, its just being able to tame it is going to be the problem. I hear you talking about different light patterns and using a PPK for you plants instead of the headache of the blumat floods, but what do you plan on doing to control your environment? All in all your still going to have the same problems, same amount of lights same fan, tent, room unless I missed something. Hope you get it all worked out Dave I wanna see you pulling weight bro every one here does.

D

DaveTheNewbie

but what do you plan on doing to control your environment? All in all your still going to have the same problems, same amount of lights same fan, tent, room unless I missed something. Hope you get it all worked out Dave I wanna see you pulling weight bro every one here does.

Word. What are you gonna do about your environment dave?

Yeah Dave, WTF you gonna do bout that environment, bitch ???

all valid questions.

summers almost over and it wont be long until im fighting freezing cold and root freeze again. It will hold for another year, and at some point im going to have to pull everything down and put a real aircon in the room. But it prob wont be until im getting hammered by the winter freeze. Plus im broke atm.

EDIT : i made a seperate thread for my first PPK grow : https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=5618253#post5618253

D

DaveTheNewbie

ok so stupid question :

say your hanging a HPS 600w light vert, but its along a wall or in a corner. Say its surrounded 180 degrees by plant and 180 degrees by tent wall

is there an advantage to hanging it vert with a reflector to focus the light rays?

well i ordered some Early Bloom Pack from www.Kelp4Less.com. When it arrives im going to give it a run.
Im hoping it will be superior as well as an all-in-one powder that does it all.

ok knowledgable people, my magic ferts got picked up by customs, it turns out your not supposed to import ferts.

can anyone recommend some sort of organic magic fert booster with fulvic, humic, ammino acids + kelp + benes + Mycorozze + silica

or something similar cause my current one is out and i cant get any more.

EDIT : im eyeing off Earth Juice Catalyst, does anyone have experience with it?

Latest posts

Latest posts