What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

This is the biggest El Niño on record, and a killer La Niña is coming

'Boogieman'

Easygoing just stated true facts here, and unlike most people who who just want to hear whatever fuel's their argument I just want to know the truth.

W

Water-

Australia
Over Australia the drying influence of the event was initially counteracted by warm temperatures in the Indian Ocean, which lead to above average rainfall falling over parts of Western Australia, New South Wales and eastern Victoria.[51] However, by the start of austral Spring 2015, the Indian Ocean had started to help the El Nino, which resulted in Australia's third-driest spring on record and limited growth at the end of cropping season.[51] The lack of heavy rains in the north and west meant reduced downtime for mining, while fewer clouds and less tropical rain, contributed to the most severe coral bleaching event on record for the Great Barrier Reef.[51] The combination of heat and low rainfall brought a very early start to the 2015–16 Australian bushfire season, with over 125 fires burning in Victoria and Tasmania during October.[51] Dry conditions in Tasmania also resulted in hundreds of fires being started by dry lightning during January 2016, which damaged large areas of the Tasmanian Wilderness World Heritage Area, including parts which may not have seen fire for centuries.[51]

Africa
The El Nino event enhanced the 2015 short rains season between October and December 2015, with more rainfall than normal falling in eastern Africa.[31] The 2014–16 El Niño phenomenon, according to the World Meteorological Organization, is one of the three strongest since 1950. A number of countries in Africa including Lesotho, Swaziland and Zimbabwe declared national states of emergency, while the Southern African Development Community declared a regional drought disaster in March 2016.[53]

North America
During the winter of 2014-15, the typical precipitation and impacts of an El Niño event, did not occur over North America, as the event was weak and on the borderline of being an event.[54] Ahead of the 2015-16 winter, it was hoped that the El Niño would bring some relief from five years of drought conditions that had occurred in California.[51] However, the event failed to end the long term dryness, despite some regions including Pacifica receiving heavy rain which led to mudslides.[51][55] In the south eastern and south central United States above normal rainfall occurred, with Missouri receiving three times its normal rainfall during November and December 2015.[51]

South America
Between September and December 2015, Northern South America was generally dry, with parts of Venezuela suffering from drought conditions.[31][56] Over the same period Uruguay, southern Brazil, and Paraguay experienced a lot of rain.[31] In 2015, the Southeast Region of Brazil suffered the consequences of a severe drought (aggravated by El Niño), which led to above-average temperatures and a large decline in the level of several rivers and reservoirs; as a result, residents had to save water and cutoffs were made. However, at the same time, the South Region passed by a large period of severe thunderstorms (another consequence of El Niño), which led to strong floods; several rivers reached the highest level in decades and thousands of people were left homeless.

Pacific Islands
During the event the Walker circulation and associated rainfall was shifted eastwards, which meant that a large part of the Pacific received below average rainfall.[57] As a result, drought conditions were observed on several Pacific island nations, with an estimated 4.7 million people affected including people in Fiji, Micronesia, Palau, Samoa, Vanuatu, Tonga, the Solomon Islands and the Marshall Islands.[51][57][58]

During the event, tuna schools migrated away from their traditional waters near Papua New Guinea, to waters surrounding the island nation of Kiribati.[59] As a result of this over 700,000 tonnes (690,000 long tons; 770,000 short tons) of Tuna was caught in waters surrounding Kiribati during 2014, while the island nation was able to sell access rights to international fishing firms at over $15,000 a day.[59] Projections were subsequently made by the Asian Development Bank that Kiribati, would earn over AUD 150 million (USD 109 million) during 2015 from fishing licences.[59]

As the El Niño conditions started to develop during early 2014, sea levels in western Micronesia including in waters surrounding the island nations of Palau and Guam dropped by 6–9 feet (1.8–2.7 m).[9] In Palau, the El Niño resulted in the worst drought conditions in nearly eighty years. The island nations of Palau, the Federated States of Micronesia, and the Marshall Islands made emergency or disaster declarations due to extreme drought conditions from the El Niño.[60]

Southeastern Asia
Philippines Edit
Within the Philippines, the El Niño event caused a delay in the onset of the 2015 rainy season, while causing weaker than normal monsoon activity, below average rainfall, fewer tropical cyclones and above average air temperatures.[61] As a result of this 85% of the provinces were hit by drought conditions, while PAGASA advised people to conserve water, in case the high water level of the Angat Dam fell below 212 metres (696 ft).[51][61] During April 2016, the Philippine Department of Agriculture, estimated total damages to crops between February 2015 and March 2016, at just under PhP 10 billion (USD 217 million).[62]

In Maguindanao, many rice and corn fields were destroyed by the drought brought by El Niño, and soon, the provincial government declared a state of calamity on the province.[63] Earlier, North Cotabato declared a state of calamity,[64] and the provincial government's aid to the farmers suffering from the drought caused a protest and a clash with police in Kidapawan.[65]

The provinces of Iloilo, Guimaras, General Santos City, Isabela, Quirino, Bukidnon, Davao del Sur, Basilan, Bohol and Cebu declared a state of calamity.[62][66][67][68]

Vietnam
Cửu Long Droughts and saltwater infiltration are considered to be particularly serious, weighing the last 100 years, causing severe damage to the western provinces [69]

W

Water-

I live on a Pacific island.
The last El Niño was super dry and awesome for growing where I live.
I'm hoping for it to return because normal winters are extremely rainy.

St. Phatty

So, about the Pineapple Express rains that the Pacific Coast got in the winter of 2016/17 -
was that La Nina or El Nino or something new ?

EasyGoing

Easygoing just stated true facts here, and unlike most people who who just want to hear whatever fuel's their argument I just want to know the truth.

You notice he didn't respond to a single one of the facts, or go back and add a reference or a quote? Maybe a reason for it huh? When married to global warming ideology, it's hard to even begin to see the other side of the story. Some might call it bigoted, some would call it ignorance is bliss, or maybe we have entered the land of the normalcy bias when it comes to weather.

My goal is to point out truth, wherever it may lie.

Pretty sure Water was one of the people pushing for my banning when I was posting up math on how reservoirs could be filled quickly. I know it wasn't him, but somebody stated it would take a thousand years for Orville to fill again. I pointed out what rainfall would be in a heavy rain year, and predicted the reservoir could be filled in one season. Everybody thought I was being political, and then I actually did get banned. Fast forward a year, and guess what, Orville reservoir was filled in 3 months.

It's hard to be the guy that see's through the nonsense. It's even harder to stand up for the truth when everybody around you is convinced of the opposite. Along the way I have lost friends, IC mag buddies, work ext. My question to the assholes that like to shut me down all time...... Where do I go to get my reputation back? The world is full of useful idiots, look up the phrase.

Useful idiot
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For other uses, see Useful idiot (disambiguation).
In political jargon, a useful idiot (also useful fool[1]) is a person perceived as a propagandist for a cause the goals of which they are not fully aware, and who is used cynically by the leaders of the cause.[1] According to the Oxford Dictionary of Euphemisms, the phrase stems from useful fool to refer to "a dupe of the Communists" and was used by Vladimir Lenin to refer to those his country had successfully manipulated.[1]

Last edited:

oldchuck

Veteran
All Water has done is offer information. He is not arguing, He is helping with facts and information is what this thread is about. EG you just seem to want to argue a point of view. I can't know why you are so insistent but I wish you would stop.

therevverend

Veteran
I don't think the rains were El Nino or La Nina. There have been el Ninos that were warm and wet but they didn't last through April. They usually end by December or January.
Pineapple Expresses usually last for a couple days. There is often flooding because the temperatures warm so quickly there is snow melt in the mountains combined with the low lands getting saturated. There is usually a strong southern wind with the Pineapple Express, it usually arrives as a storm. It was different then that.
In some ways it was how NW winters used to be, wet with moderate temperatures. But the volume of rain was much greater. Normally it's cloudy with drizzle off and on all day. This was constant pounding rain for over a month at a time. Also hardly any cold snaps.
Strange weather pattern, I know it broke records for most precipitation. I'd be curious for historical comparisons I don't remember any.

Space Toker

Veteran
oh shit better not get involved at least have to do some reading first, but I think this is an old thread that I was involved in... rather than say all global warming doubters are scum and those that stand up to their foolisnness are great, I guess in all fairness I have to do some reading... carry on now but try to stand for something useful

Space Toker

Veteran
as far as I know we don't have the nina or the nino right now, a few months now of slightly below temps which is a refreshing change, but... well I got to read...

therevverend

Veteran
The other odd thing about the weather pattern, the summer has been extremely dry. Since early June there was one day of trace precipitation in August and a few days ago there was a day with trace precipitation.
Went back to the weather forecasts made last February. They nailed it. They said the jet stream was pointed at the PNW, so higher then average rainfall until June.
Then for the summer they predicted lower then average rainfall combined with temperatures a little bit higher then average.
Their April forecast was also quite accurate. Impressive how good their computer weather modeling has gotten...

blind chicken sometimes also finds some corn... :D
really had one record summer here. but it matches my 99year calender... 7years ago was HOT, 14 years ago was HOT, and this year was HOT. next year will most probably will be shitty since 6years ago and 12 years ago was shitty weather... weather returns every 7 years. this is just wague but its more accurate than weather.com

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Given the choice to bet on "red" at the roulette wheel or trust my local weather forecaster, I'll take the "bet"--odds of winning/being correct are greater.

And...you realize the people that brought us "weather forecasting" are now in the "climate change forecasting" biz now. But they rigged that game so the "house" wins every spin of the roulette wheel.

By making the measurable temperature decrease within the "margin of error"--it is impossible for the "house" to lose...especially when all possible calculations will be within the "margin of error".

When there are only winners and no losers, what do they call that....hmm, how do you spell: participation trophy?

BTW, where is the "science"?

EasyGoing

Post 220 after the edit:
ignore the trolls
Should of read what it said before the edit........

All Water has done is offer information. He is not arguing, He is helping with facts and information is what this thread is about. EG you just seem to want to argue a point of view. I can't know why you are so insistent but I wish you would stop.

Find your safe space, and embrace it...... lol
:laughing:

A discussion goes two ways, not just one. Grow up.

igrowone

Veteran
The other odd thing about the weather pattern, the summer has been extremely dry. Since early June there was one day of trace precipitation in August and a few days ago there was a day with trace precipitation.
Went back to the weather forecasts made last February. They nailed it. They said the jet stream was pointed at the PNW, so higher then average rainfall until June.
Then for the summer they predicted lower then average rainfall combined with temperatures a little bit higher then average.
Their April forecast was also quite accurate. Impressive how good their computer weather modeling has gotten...

the northeast got your rain this year
cool and rainy, that was our summer in upstate ny
records were set, imagine some fat ass plants are bulking up out here
but it's all about the fall here, warm fall and a great haul

EasyGoing

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Sorry Easy, hard to take political hacks like Glen Beck seriously when it comes to "facts". Even if their heart is in the right place--they will always be agenda orientated and see things through that political filter.

oldchuck

Veteran

I assume you are somewhere out west, Rev. Been very different here. We've had a chilly wet spring, then a moderately warm couple of months, and now back to chilly and wet. Temp has been down below 40 the last couple of nights. Hoping for a bit warmer September. And now it appears we have a hurricane aimed somewhere near. Texas? Well Texas, third 500 year flooding in the last 15 years. Now a new national flood record. Thank you god.