What's new

This and that

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Looks like you are pretty far into growing, and doing well. A sustainable operation.

One sign I use when deciding to up-pot is the diameter of the leaf drip line. I think the roots travel outward to just beyond there, and start to wrap when they hit the boundary.

It is a fine line moving the dixie cups into larger digs, especially with regs as they haven't been sexed yet and 50% will be males, while fighting space constraints. I wait for the leaves to show a good enough root system before going from Dixie cups to the new home, so the roots hold the soil ball together. With regs I will have twice as many plants in 1 gallon plastic pots as I need, and they don't start showing ballz until after the girls need to move into the final bags. It is a pain in the azz, and I am sure the girls would do better if their roots got to spread freely without having hit the wall as they were just getting going. That is the big advantage of fems, and probably one reason why fems get bigger in my system. I go from dixie cups to the final 10 gallon bags with fems.

Timj

Looks like you are pretty far into growing, and doing well. A sustainable operation.

One sign I use when deciding to up-pot is the diameter of the leaf drip line. I think the roots travel outward to just beyond there, and start to wrap when they hit the boundary.

It is a fine line moving the dixie cups into larger digs, especially with regs as they haven't been sexed yet and 50% will be males, while fighting space constraints. I wait for the leaves to show a good enough root system before going from Dixie cups to the new home, so the roots hold the soil ball together. With regs I will have twice as many plants in 1 gallon plastic pots as I need, and they don't start showing ballz until after the girls need to move into the final bags. It is a pain in the azz, and I am sure the girls would do better if their roots got to spread freely without having hit the wall as they were just getting going. That is the big advantage of fems, and probably one reason why fems get bigger in my system. I go from dixie cups to the final 10 gallon bags with fems.
Thanks @flylowgethigh . I start all my seeds in clear solo cups that are dropped into solid colored ones. This gives me the opportunity to view the root structure without popping them out of the cup and disrupting the roots. I usually start my auto's in the 10 gallon pots they finish in. This year I had some indoor plants run a bit later than expected and didn't have the room inside for 5-10 gallon pots. So, I tried pushing my luck and it simply backfired on me. Auto's are simply on a set timeline. If we mess up in the first 35 days of their life they simple don't have the time to recover like a photo-period does. I do grow some regular seeds. But, I mostly grow feminized seeds.

Timj

I dropped these 5 in the ground today.
Transplanted7323.jpg

Timj

I had 4 empty pots in my small greenhouse so I dropped 2 seeds and then another 2 a few days later. They are all up today. It should give me another harvest around the end of October to the beginning of November.
20230706_155016.jpg
20230706_155002.jpg
20230706_155026.jpg
20230706_155035.jpg

Timj

I just fed my worms today and cooled down the bins down some It's 93 degrees f out today. This is frozen grated zucchini from a late fall harvest. I don't let things go to waste. I made the small double storage bin up top and the bottom stacking bins are a Worm Cafe.
20230706_220655.jpg
20230706_220712.jpg
20230706_220738.jpg

Timj

Hi. Nice thread and plants. Do I see a bag of coast of Maine bar harbor blend on post 34? Up until recently I used only c.o.m. Soils. What organic nutes you use?
Thank you blondie. Yes, that's the Bar Harbor blend for containers. I use it for the pots I grow my cooking herbs in. I build my own organic growing medium based on Clackamas coots recipe for everything else. Water only other than a few top dressings of worm castings and malted barley powder for the enzymes they add.