What's new

Thinking of using local soil...maybe?

mad librettist

Veteran
well I guess you could say natural rain water is well aerated, so you are only imitating nature...

Still, madlib has blumats set up with a tank of water with no pump, no dechlorination, nothing. the plants look fantastic.

B

blazesck

Look man,we all know you spend more time bubblin' and shovelin' than growing.

I spent some time shovlelin' yesterday and some time bubblin' last night...my busted ass back hurts today. I need a shit talking, no degree having, fanboy around to do some shovelin' for me....$10 an hour once every 3 months.

Where should I send my resume? lol

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
well I guess you could say natural rain water is well aerated, so you are only imitating nature...

Still, madlib has blumats set up with a tank of water with no pump, no dechlorination, nothing. the plants look fantastic.

Yes...water is a very cool deal. I used to just water without aeration,but did notice the plants responded better after a good bubblin'...shit you should know that being that you spend more time bubblin' an shovlin'...LOL Being around the plant for so long you really do notice any new little change.

Where should I send my resume? lol
I think you have a good idea bro..;) Thanks again. CC1

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
A couple out of many new types to play with this cycle....should be interesting.

Mr. Greengenes' Burmese x Cherry Bomb

picture.php

The One x Blue Moon Rocks

picture.php

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ahh, the Burmese x CB! I can recognize both parents in the leaf shape. A local grower just harvested the last of the select cut of Burmese we had, didn't mean to lose the cut, just bad inventory. Not a big prob since I've got the seeds and can dive back in (to the 'pool', so to speak). Burmese has a very distinctive smell and taste, nothing like it that I've found. It also finishes fast and makes rock hard buds with great 'bag appeal'. Even if your plant turns out female, it should be a nice F1 keeper cut. BTW CC, 'Cousin It' is really calling quite a bit of attention to herself. Incredibly sweet smelling and frosty as can be. Can't wait to see how TO and the others turn out. You brothers up north are serious champions.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
I look forward to the Burmese x Cherry Bomb actually being a male. I want to hit all my purest sativa's and sativa dom. females with it...and of course a couple Indica's. I love sativa's though and would like to get that Kali Mist in there for sure.
If it's a girl...I haven't thought that far ahead yet. But I will take cuts and run her.

If "Cousin It" (Blue Orca x BMR) looks anything like The One x BMR....I can see why it's neato! I expect we will see great things out of both crosses. Let us not forget Clack for bringing these aerloom types into the clear end of the muddy pool.

Last edited:
C

CC_2U

My current grow contains 25% of what one might call a 'local soil' and I'm puzzled by the results on any number of levels.

Massive foliar growth is one - I have never seen this level of 'density' ever - going back 24 years of experience in indoor gardening.

I'm puzzled - absolutely nothing has been added to this cycle other than water and regular top-dressing of EWC and comfrey leaves (green manure).

Weird.

CC

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
My current grow contains 25% of what one might call a 'local soil' and I'm puzzled by the results on any number of levels.

Massive foliar growth is one - I have never seen this level of 'density' ever - going back 24 years of experience in indoor gardening.

I'm puzzled - absolutely nothing has been added to this cycle other than water and regular top-dressing of EWC and comfrey leaves (green manure).

Weird.

CC

Tromping through the woods yesterday and I'm finding myself looking at the soils a lot more than ever. So may types of highly attractive soils. If a guy pays attention to what's under his feet,you can really get an eye for the better ones quickly.

I find myself diagnosing native plants that don't look healthy and then when I look at the soil they are in it explains it.

C

CC_2U

CC1

My good and respected friend - what I'm seeing in this cycle is nothing short of amazing. If the simple addition of 'real soil' is the answer then I'm more than confused.

"Everything you know is wrong"

CC

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
CC1

My good and respected friend - what I'm seeing in this cycle is nothing short of amazing. If the simple addition of 'real soil' is the answer then I'm more than confused.

"Everything you know is wrong"

CC
Was this soil from an undisturbed area of at least 40 years or so?
Like from some hippie ass rain forest....

It's hard saying for me....mostly because I'm always doing something new,so that interferes with any proof that one would be looking for in these ongoing additions of native material.
I can tell you that when I first set out on the choice to add native topsoil to my mix...the change was dramatic compared to the previous soil mixes I was working with.

C

CC_2U

The next time you're down I'll show you - both the medicine garden and the friggin' raised beds.

I'm going to be buried in produce this year it would appear!!!!

CC

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
So what do you think about my addition of the mineral sea salts? Spur of the moment decision based on some stuff I read about it being used on food crops.

C

CC_2U

I did - and I can't really comment one way or other.

I've got 9+ lbs. that you can take home with you if you're interested. SEA-90 specifically.

Peace

CC

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
I did - and I can't really comment one way or other.

I've got 9+ lbs. that you can take home with you if you're interested. SEA-90 specifically.

Peace

CC
Kind of scared now. I used the same SEA-90

I was questioning my better judgement adding salts to my mix...but decided to trust the soil.

Scrappy4

Veteran
How do you identify a worthwhile native soil? I could add some of my garden soil, to my mix. it was yellow sand in 1997, and now is fairly rich with lots of organic additions (mostly cold compost) over the years, but not rich enough to support a decent grow without added nutrients. Most of my surrounding area is sand and wooded. Isn't sand rock dust? There are silty areas near by streams and lakes, but I'm not sold on it due to it's compaction and lack of air.

CC2 Is your current mix more N than past grows, like the green grass around my dog's old pee spots? That is the only thing i know to explain abundant veg growth?......scrappy

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
first off i would follow the soil for beginners study guide, this way you know soil, what soil is, how it was made, etc.... this will help you TREMENDOUSLY in identifying healthy soils in nature. AND help you in growing far better cannabis.

How do you identify a worthwhile native soil?

looking for signs of life is one, walking through the forest and you come across a patch that is far healthier than the surrounding area is a good sign to go check out the soil. the best is like capt said, just take notice of all the different soils around you, along with the plants that are growing you will be able to tell which is far superior. dont be afraid to give the soil a feel in your hands.

Isn't sand rock dust?

sand is sand because of its particle size, if it were to break down further it would end up as a clay or "rock dust" eventually. in nature this takes a very long time.

There are silty areas near by streams and lakes, but I'm not sold on it due to it's compaction and lack of air.

this is completely area dependent, i collect by rivers and lakes all the time. specially rivers. but im not about to go collect some muck that my foot sunk into when i walked by.

what I'm seeing in this cycle is nothing short of amazing. If the simple addition of 'real soil' is the answer then I'm more than confused.

its not the soil that did it for you imo, its the properties of real soil that were added to your soil mix that benefits the plants/microlife. anyone who grows both indoors and out can tell you plants in good soil. outside wins, hands down, every time because of the soil.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
I've also been paying attention to sands. The deposits,the material they are made of,and the ways that the aggregates are separated is very different. Some look a lot better than others.

River valleys,deciduous forest floors,volcanic or glacial deposits seem to be where the best soils are.

Definitely pay attention to the plants that are growing in the multiple types of soil....if they look healthy chances are the soil is too.