What's new

Thinking of using local soil...maybe?

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Choppy choppy time....more pix coming as the days progress.
Yeah...who needs gypsum anyway....probably doesn't help at all and it's pointless that I even added it. Never mind Steve Soloman and CC,they don't know sh*t.

The One

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Chemdog

picture.php

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Couple more....

Chemdog

picture.php

Chopped The One...got ten of these plants exactly like this....frost warning.

picture.php

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
simply amazing looking plants!
Thanks man,I get like a hundred views a day but hardly any feedback. The smoke off these is/and is going to be so freaking sweet and heavenly,the people who receive this medicine want nothing else. More pix to come as I progress through the harvest. I don't comb their hair for the pix...these are hippie kids.

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
people are just intimidated by your awesome organic skillz .

no combs necessary, show em off

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
people are just intimidated by your awesome organic skillz .

no combs necessary, show em off
Well if that's the case no need to be,I'm a fairly neutral and friendly fellow.

62 day Blue Mystic...taking them at 65. These are over 5 feet tall,and the biggest flowers yet off the BM....in fact all the various types made bigger flowers this cycle. Only things different this cycle were the addition of the self harvested forest material,waterings with aloe,some fish meal,and a couple other little things like self harvested glacial rock dust and a bit more char to the recycled mix....oh yeah,and a bit more of the 3-way lime mix that contains gypsum,dolomite,and oyster shell due to the addition of some old recycled peat mix.

picture.php

Last edited:

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
amazing plants Captain. :) Recycled soil is pretty useless eh? ;) I'm going to be using that 3 way lime/gypsum/oyster shell as soon as i can from now on. Thanks for your contributions.

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
This worked out so well I want to try it. I'm going to be on the hunt for my own local soil. Nice work!

Pine

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Once again another great harvest after recycling and adding native materials to the soil mix.

From this....
picture.php

.....to this in 11 weeks. You can do it too!

picture.php

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
So it all starts over once again with recycling my soil mix.
Since I'm working with someone to start up another medical garden,I need to increase the volume of my soil mix by nearly double so they can take half of it to the other gardens location. I'll be incorporating the perlite,vermicuite,coco,and peat because they have been sitting around for ages and I have to fluff up the volume...why not use what I have eh. After this recyle I will never have to buy or use any of that shit again in these two gardens.
To this next mix I'll be adding the following:
1/2 bail rice hulls
1 bag perlite
1/2 bag vermiculite
1 bail sunshine #4
1 bag pure EWC
1 bag vital earth compost
1 bag vital earth soil
5 gallons sand from glacial washout deposit
1 lg block of coco that's been rinsed with rain water for over a month.
30 gallons of old recycled leftover mix
5 lbs mineral sea salts
5 lb blend of bentonite,azomite,and pyrophilite clay
5 lbs fish bone meal
5 lbs N. bat guano
3 way lime mix of dolomite,gypsum,and oyster shell added at the correct % to the peat
5 lbs alfalfa meal
5 lbs kelp meal
10 lbs neem seed meal
5 lbs crab shell meal

I'm not too concerned with fert levels at this point being that my previous cycles soil is surely highly fertile. The amount of guano,fish bone,alfalfa,and kelp I'm re-adding isn't much at all compared to the volume of soil mix I'm working with.

Mixed well and stuffed back into pots....transplanted by next weekend and under 24 hr. MH lighting.
A few pots will be the no-till method and left undisturbed.

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
how big are your bags? like the ewc, compost, earth soil, etc. are they 1 CF? trying to figure out roughly how much base soil you have.

and the glacier washout sand, im guessing you collected it yourself, did you have to prepare it in anyway(sifting or washing) or just grab a bucket and toss it in.

and one more... what is the % of the 3 way lime added to the peat? I always see you and coot talking about this being superior then just adding dolomite. one day i want to try it for myself on a few test plants.

I have started one cycle so far and i plan on building a second one pretty soon so i can rotate the two back and forth. So im planning from now on what to add back to the soil. i have seen you achieve much success from your recycling, hoping i get the same!

Also do you think it would be beneficial to have my soil tested before anything goes in and then again after harvest to see what was used and what needs to be replaced or is that a fools errand? im sure different strains use different amounts of things in the soil.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Done mixing and stuffing pots..I gotta' say that the rice hulls added a nice texture.

I eyeball things..have been for almost a year. The amounts are basic estimates,but some things are weighed like the 5 lb bags.
Typical bags of EWC,compost,etc,are 1 cubic foot..the peat was close to 4 cubic feet and the rice hulls were 4 cubic feet.

Mix together:
1 part dolomite
1 part gypsum
2 parts oyster shell
Add at 1 cup per cubic foot of peat.

Yeah I just grabbed a 5 gal. bucket of sand...used as is.

I must be doing something right because I had just enough soil mix to fill all the pots and have about 30 gallons leftover. I'm guessing I have roughly 275 gallons of soil in my garden.

I keep a mental note of what was incorporated each recycle and try to keep in mind the breakdown rates of each item. I know that's a lot to manage,but I don't really have trouble with that.

I also keep in mind that things like neem seed,compost,EWC,alfalfa,guano,etc all have some available Nitrogen,etc. This round I went light on the N gauno. I also know some things that break down fast like alfalfa...and things that break down slow..like crab shell meal.

Once you get to a point where you have built a rich soil full of humates the worry subsides quite a bit.
This is an ongoing experiment,I put my trust in the soil and it seems to take care of everything. I have worms,pot worms,and blind soil thrips I use as indicator species. If they are still in there when I'm in veg and I dump the pots on the recycle,they must be happy.
This round will be/is a different soil mix. I've never used rice hulls or amended with neem seed meal in the amounts I did. And also the mineral sea salts...what's that gonna' do? I trust the soil.
I would like to let it cook before transplanting and may run in to trouble because of that. I may be able to let it cook a week. I HIGHLY recommend that people "cook" the soil before transplanting new clones in it. I've enough experience to deal with any issues if they arise,but it's pushing it for sure.

You could test your soil,and some types do better than others in my mix. The pure Sativas don't really appreciate it,but they do alright with some minor leaf tip browning. The heavy vigor Indica's and hybrids love it.

Ideally I would like to have two batches,1 cooking for 3 months.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
I read some great advice to time certain amendments with the breakdown of the rice hulls.

I recall a bit about that myself...maybe you could press the refresh button on my memory mad.
Overall the soil texture is awesome with the addition of the rice hulls and.....wait for it...........perlite and vermiculite. I'm sure the peat and coco added to this as well.

mad librettist

Veteran
lol don't bait me with the perlite!

I can't remember what was said exactly about the amendments, but the guy was refreshing all the slower to break down stuff with his rice hulls.

One of the containers I have going is mostly worm castings that went through the bin once with a load of rice hulls. SO far so good, I can't tell which is which without looking under the mulch. I think it might be the one in the living mulch thread.

I'm getting more and more convinced that what we really want is what most growers would consider unsuitably dense soil, but perpetually and totally colonized by roots. Roots are the ultimate drainage and aeration amendment, so by polycropping I am keeping "impossible" soil. Since clover simply regenerates itself from stolons, I will never be rootless. Add the purslane, chickweed, and cannabis, and we have very high biomass and activity, great water retention, and no problems with rot.

The downside to my method is you need big containers to host everyone, so it's obligatory to veg for a long time or have multiple cannabis plants in one pot (too crowded IMO).

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
My last round was what I would consider dense soil. I felt that due to my environment I had better get some more aeration in there. The pots held water well and drained well,but it did seem a bit dense,especially when I dumped the pots this time,but roots looked like they had plenty of room with some to spare. I felt that they stayed to wet for longer than optimal....mostly due to changes in the overall temps outside. From cold to freezing to warm and back and forth. This Earth thing...jeesh,when are they going to get the heating/cooling fixed.
I'm using 4 big pots for no-till.

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah i understand the eyeballing stuff, i do that all the time with making breads and cooking. but you better know what you are doing or shit gets fucked. I do not know how all these amendments preform(let alone how long they last) that i have in my soil now, just kinda along for the ride. so far so good, only a couple hiccups with a more sensitive variety (chem91 hybrid) but you can't please em all with one mix.

but im taking notes and going to build more experience like you guys to where i can just chuck a 5lb bag in and feel confident about it.

thanks for all the info

S

schwagg

i thought the rice hulls was 8 month breakdown to time with other amends. this time around i added 2 lbs rice hulls to 4 cu ft of soil. shit works good, now i need to find that 50lb bag of pumice!

the lime mix is fantastic! i've been tweaking the mineral mix with great success too!