What's new

Thinking of moving to Cali to grow weed, legally... Where do i even start?

Kie26

sorry to double post, but... what are the diferences [in monetary and paperwork terms] between selling directly to a 'patient' or a dispensery?

I

imnotkrazy

Dispensaries offer low dollars and sell for high dollars, very little paperwork involved with either, and the less paperwork the better. It is still not "legal"!

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
whats the most legal way to do it? i dont wana get caught up in anything, i have a daughter... :\

Go to NORML's website; http://norml.org/, they have a complete description of what is necessary to meet prop 215/420 rules for California resident's..oh yeah you have to establish residency(?)

(I believe Rick Shaw probably can correct me if I am wrong)

Good luck

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
You can go to a doctor and get a recommendation. Otherwise you can find a lawyer to set up the paperwork for you to start a collective. Then you have to find patients.

If you've got a minor child, and you get caught up, that may be an issue for you.

There are a lot of things to be considered, and you can look up the laws. However I think a good lawyer will give you the best idea of what the current legal situation is in the area you live in.

At the end of the day there is no guaranteed protection, and all of this is still completely federally illegal.

Best of luck. There is no guaranteed recipe for success in California. The bar is very high out here.

G

guest86120975

I can confirm both ends of that spectrum. I spent a year in northern California and was paying $150/oz for Humboldt outdoor funk (the good stuff, not the B grade). Now that I am back in my home state in the Southeast, I would EASILY pay $400 to have an OZ of funk delivered to me right now, but my contact disappeared on me. Drives me fucking batty that no one here understands quality. The best I can get that's smokeable at the moment is probably what would be considered D grade outdoor...grown from Mexi seeds most likely, probably not harvested at the right time, no smell. The only other option for me would be chemmy hydro, which I wouldn't smoke if it was free. Well, I guess I could risk 10 years in the pen for growing 1 plant, but no thanks, I plan to move back to CA within 5 years so I'm not going to fuck up the rest of my life.

Why would you want to move to cali? It cost 2x as much to live there and your product is worth half as much... blah

I'm thinking about moving to Santa Cruz with my mom, who is ill.

Reasons:

1) The surfing is incredible
2) The women are like nowhere else on Earth
3) The weather is perfect damn near every day for my tastes
4) There are more genuinely unique and interesting people per capita than anywhere else on Earth for my tastes (talking specifically Santa Cruz here)
5) People are educated and thus aware of important political/moral issues in hyuuuuuge numbers
6) People in general have interests similar to mine (organic foods, living well, 'money isn't everything' bohemian culture (although flawed, of course)
7) Aesthetic beauty everywhere

For me and for many, you can't put a price tag on walking outside w the doggie during Christmas with comfortable weather, smiling, healthy people, little concern from leo if you're baked, and a beautiful ocean breeze.

I'd rather make 70K a year working two (legit) jobs in Santa Cruz than 110K in Michigan or Maine. If I can land the thing I'm interviewing for, I'll be doing just that. Just a personal preference man. No disrespect intended obviously.

Headbandf1

Bent Member
Veteran
well, first step is always to check out places.. you might not like it once your in CA. or you might need to know areas first.. CA is huge and very different vibes town to town..

Stockton, Ca is a good place to scope out, Hear they've lost quite a few residents in the last few day, so there may be an opening

anonymous!

my husband and i are thinking, [hes already decided] of moving to california to grow weed legally, like for medcinal use and whatnot. but the thing is, i dont even know where to start out trying to do that!
once we move there and get all settled in, where should i begin with the paperwork/buisness end?

i know this might be a complicated thing, but any answers, tips or replys would be great. :]
:dance013:

I would suggest not going to California at all. Especially to grow weed. What do you think is going on in California? Does your husband think you go get your ridiculous recommendation and the money printing begins? This is like dreaming of going to a state where alcohol is legal to sell alcohol. People are barely surviving in California. Have you ever worked 2 full time jobs and barely been able to pay your rent/mortgage? Welcome to California. Don't fucking move to California because you want to exploit prop 215 for your personal benefit. Like Headbandf1 said, Stockton is a GREAT place to live, I highly recommend it.

OhighO

still $400-$600 a z on the east coast.

Yup 300-500 here. The cali outdoor crap is flooding the market but like i said in post 1 quality always moves. I feel about as comfortable in my non med state as i would a med state. As long as you keep numbers down.

still though 2400 isnt bad mone
y for what it cost grow.

Kie26

ohhhhkay, first off let me re-state: my dad is moving us to california, so we're going to california. no gettin around it. lol
second, stockton is where my dad was looking at going. also possibly in the trinity area.
and third, i wishhhh i could pay 150/oz for some good ass weed. i live down south right now, [which sucks, cus im from oregon originally and i hate it here] and alll the weed they have around here is doo-doo brown. which is why we decided to grow our own plants. my husband fell in love with it and since my fathers moving us to cali my husbands decided that he wants to grow weed for a living. he loves it. so, i have to deal with the paperwork and getting all the legal/bullshit out of the way... fun. lol

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
grow good weed. sell it.

the important thing is to have fun and be happy

edit: i read the thread, here is my advice...

1. You will need a CA drivers license/ ID in order to obtain your MEDICAL WEED PAPERS ! (welcome to cali btw)

2. You will need to find out the laws regarding MMJ cultivation in your county
2a. I suggest getting doctor's notes for more than one person, legally every resident in a house can have their own garden, hence increasing your total limit ( disclaimer: i am not an attorney)

3. you (or your husband or dad or whoever) will need to have at least 3-4 months rent, plus deposit, plus $5-10k for equipment electricity etc... all saved up in cash form. for your first run.
3a. Grow the weed. grow it well.

4. once the herb is grown (that is the EASY part, right?!?>!?!)hahaha cough cough , sorry, as i was saying, you will need to SELL IT preferably to a local dispensary who will pay cash up front, or something similar. or find/meet people YOU TRUST to unload it on who are not necessarily "Dispensary operators" but can move weight

5. Repeat steps 3a - 4, then sip champagne and play with ur kid.

BONUS HINT: it's best not to play with too many flavors at first, grow a solid producer that is in demand, like Sour Diesel, OG Kush, Hedband, Jack Herer, Purple Anything (i think still?), etc. maybe rotate a couple nice flavors and bring in more over time.

good luck, let me know if my advice works and you make it big:laughing:, i want a cut.

Last edited:

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm thinking about moving to Santa Cruz with my mom, who is ill.

Reasons:

1) The surfing is incredible
2) The women are like nowhere else on Earth
3) The weather is perfect damn near every day for my tastes
4) There are more genuinely unique and interesting people per capita than anywhere else on Earth for my tastes (talking specifically Santa Cruz here)
5) People are educated and thus aware of important political/moral issues in hyuuuuuge numbers
6) People in general have interests similar to mine (organic foods, living well, 'money isn't everything' bohemian culture (although flawed, of course)
7) Aesthetic beauty everywhere

For me and for many, you can't put a price tag on walking outside w the doggie during Christmas with comfortable weather, smiling, healthy people, little concern from leo if you're baked, and a beautiful ocean breeze.

I'd rather make 70K a year working two (legit) jobs in Santa Cruz than 110K in Michigan or Maine. If I can land the thing I'm interviewing for, I'll be doing just that. Just a personal preference man. No disrespect intended obviously.

I live in SC and everything you said is true EXCEPT finding work, good luck, their is none. Santa Cruz's unempoyment rate is over 12-13% by Govt. statistics which means in reality it is more likely closer to 19-20%.

I know of like 10-12 recent UCSC graduates and almost to a single one they are moving OUT of the state to find work. They cannot get a job pouring coffee, neither can I for that matter, two legit jobs lol JUST try to find ONE. I REALLY hope you land that job you mentioned if you do let us know here because you'll be the 1st guy/gal? I've heard to get a job in the last year locally in over a year. Good luck!

But the weather OMG it has been postcard perfect this week, nice and sunny 78-80 degree's maybe a touch hotter then in the evening the fog roll's in to cool us all down (natural a/c) and raise the humidity to a very comfortable level. The hunnies are all out (was at Staff of Life yesterday eating and just drinking in the beautiful women) wearing their little sun dress's or just bikini' tops and Sari's (?) Dyammmn I do love this town!:tiphat: even though I am broke like a joke! I totally agree about the bounty of natural and organic foods and lifestyles available to us local's and even though I am a registered Republican (OMG YES I AM ..oh snap! and I grow weed! LOL) I still have intelligent conversations with my mis-guided friends, surfing is awesome, Woodies on the Wharf is happening this weekend so I am going to cruise down their and see some incredibly beautiful old car and (hopefully) young hotties! Monterey/Carmel are just 45 minutes south with the Ventana wilderness to backpack in and enjoy..I could go on and on but I think we both know how lucky we are to live here.

R

Rysam

Theres no work anywhere in the state. Im up north with SEVERAL college degrees and guess what? Im watching spongebob on the couch with the kids.

Move out here, fine, just dont expect to be ballin' off herb anytime in the future. Its all over at 100-125$/OZ for the dank here, even this late in the season. Too many people already had the same pipe dreams yall do.

My advice..start looking for work now, my county is at 17% unemployment

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
Yeah, Santa Cruz sucks. Old lesbo hags everywhere asking for your leftovers, all
the young cuties are LUG's (Lesbian Until Graduation) Weather sucks, Jobs Sucks, Coffee Sucks, Beach is covered with Hypo needles and the Ocean is full of raw sewage.
Fog so thick it rains on your plants everyday and tons of mold. Bugs galore.

Yep, SC sucks the big one. Stockton, Fresno, Sacramento those are the best citys in the whole state....

Yeah, Santa Cruz sucks. Old lesbo hags everywhere asking for your leftovers, all
the young cuties are LUG's (Lesbian Until Graduation) Weather sucks, Jobs Sucks, Coffee Sucks, Beach is covered with Hypo needles and the Ocean is full of raw sewage.
Fog so thick it rains on your plants everyday and tons of mold. Bugs galore.

Yep, SC sucks the big one. Stockton, Fresno, Sacramento those are the best citys in the whole state....
lol.

If you're being sarcastic, well-played.

If you're being serious, I disagree good sir.