What's new

Thinking of moving to Cali to grow weed, legally... Where do i even start?

Kie26

my husband and i are thinking, [hes already decided] of moving to california to grow weed legally, like for medcinal use and whatnot. but the thing is, i dont even know where to start out trying to do that!
once we move there and get all settled in, where should i begin with the paperwork/buisness end?

i know this might be a complicated thing, but any answers, tips or replys would be great. :]
:dance013:

OhighO

Be a very skilled grower..

Cali has chewed up and spit out many "green rush growers" and shattered many big dreams. If you do have skills grow high end "boutique" type herb not large sale commercial. You will always get good money from high end product.

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Man...well get ready for housing that is AT least twice as expensive as anywhere else in the US, Gas is STILL over 3.80 pr gal on average (and I dont give a f*ck if you live in Fresno still is expensive)...rental's are going up, Fed's are CRACKING the blank down on all kinds of dispo's and small private growers WITH THEIR PROP 215 cards and "supposedly" legal, = Large $'s for a lawyer (btw I have mine on retainer 5 large YES $5,000.00) and it will save your ass if you get stopped by nosy leo and he just doesn;t like your card, recomendation or whatever and still hauls your stoned ass in.

Let's see we have 11% plus unemployment and we are $19 billion dollars in debt, forclosure rule and I couldn't sell my house if I tried ..and I've tried!!! If you think your going to get top dollar for your boo, think again, best you can get for TOP DOLLAR indoor dank is about $2,400 a pack (if your real lucky) NONE of mine even stays in the state. I disagree with the previous poster as high grade pot while rare is still hard to move because their is so much B grade crap at rock bottom prices. Do I sound a bit depressing, well I have lived in California since 1963 and I remember a different state, this isn't what it used to be.

Feel free to come here and give it a try, cost of living will be double to triple where you live (I live in Santa Cruz so it's probably about 4x where you live currently) food cost's are crazy, gas, VERY few employment opportunities, State workers being laid off (San Jose just laid off about 350 3 weeks ago), if your on a fixed income (oh christ) good luck....

I am sorry to sound so depressing but I have seen about 5 of these threads since I joined IC Mag and I want you to have a realistic idea of what your up against to make it here, it is VERY hard and it's NOT getting any easier.

If your husband is determined to come here then so be it. Ans I truly wish you the best, honestly I apologize for being so honest.

I would "suggest" a state like Michigan or another CHEAPER state to try and grow and be under MMJ Umbrella of protection (?) try a state that is 1) Not $19 billion in debt 2) has a lower than 11% unemployment rate 3) has a lower forclosure rate on homes which only leads to HIGHER rental cost's, since noone can qualify for a loan anymore here unless you have like 25% down and a credit score higher than 760!

Good luck rant off:rant:

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Man...well get ready for housing that is AT least twice as expensive as anywhere else in the US, Gas is STILL over 3.80 pr gal on average (and I dont give a f*ck if you live in Fresno still is expensive)...rental's are going up, Fed's are CRACKING the blank down on all kinds of dispo's and small private growers WITH THEIR PROP 215 cards and "supposedly" legal, = Large $'s for a lawyer (btw I have mine on retainer 5 large YES $5,000.00) and it will save your ass if you get stopped by nosy leo and he just doesn;t like your card, recomendation or whatever and still hauls your stoned ass in.

Let's see we have 11% plus unemployment and we are $19 billion dollars in debt, forclosure rule and I couldn't sell my house if I tried ..and I've tried!!! If you think your going to get top dollar for your boo, think again, best you can get for TOP DOLLAR indoor dank is about $2,400 a pack (if your real lucky) NONE of mine even stays in the state. I disagree with the previous poster as high grade pot while rare is still hard to move because their is so much B grade crap at rock bottom prices. Do I sound a bit depressing, well I have lived in California since 1963 and I remember a different state, this isn't what it used to be.

Feel free to come here and give it a try, cost of living will be double to triple where you live (I live in Santa Cruz so it's probably about 4x where you live currently) food cost's are crazy, gas, VERY few employment opportunities, State workers being laid off (San Jose just laid off about 350 3 weeks ago), if your on a fixed income (oh christ) good luck....

I am sorry to sound so depressing but I have seen about 5 of these threads since I joined IC Mag and I want you to have a realistic idea of what your up against to make it here, it is VERY hard and it's NOT getting any easier.

If your husband is determined to come here then so be it. Ans I truly wish you the best, honestly I apologize for being so honest.

I would "suggest" a state like Michigan or another CHEAPER state to try and grow and be under MMJ Umbrella of protection (?) try a state that is 1) Not $19 billion in debt 2) has a lower than 11% unemployment rate 3) has a lower forclosure rate on homes which only leads to HIGHER rental cost's, since noone can qualify for a loan anymore here unless you have like 25% down and a credit score higher than 760!

Good luck rant off:rant:

summed it up perfectly......

RandomNegro

Good information for people with ideas of income from growing but I think the original question is more for personal consumption. I would like to know this as well, apologies if I misread.

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I need to apologize to the original OP if you want to come to Cali who am I to stop you?

I've just had way too much coffee today and had a client really piss me off trying to kinda rip me a bit on some medicine, I am sorry, if you want to come to California I hope you make it and are very successful!

Headbandf1

Bent Member
Veteran
I need to apologize to the original OP if you want to come to Cali who am I to stop you?

I've just had way too much coffee today and had a client really piss me off trying to kinda rip me a bit on some medicine, I am sorry, if you want to come to California I hope you make it and are very successful!

I think you were more corret the first post. Many collective/dispenceries that have been opened for many year now are in danger of being closed in Nor Cal - still a very tough grind out Here.

Dislexus

the shit spoon
Veteran
Dude's not being rude just real... fuck California :)

Lots of better options out there.. Colorado?

MMJcali

yea the only reason I'm here is for my job.

I've been growin in closets with fluoros since I was 19, and I grow no matter where I am. If it werent for this job...PEACE, IM OUT.

especially if youre married and ever want to have kids.

the single life is pretty nice...living in a studio apartment for a G a month ( I call it my bachelor pad)...but thats all it is.

If I were you I'd stay wherever you were and just be REALLY good about keeping it quiet.

turbolaser4528

Veteran
hmm..Colorado I think is no bueno since dispensaries have to provide all their own medicine as of recently, making it illegal to buy from "illegitimate" home or commercial growers, no disp. wants to risk losing their investment so there goes selling to disp. unless you become one. Correct me if im wrong? just what ive read.

Michigan is a good one, very cheap to live, shitty ass weather though (sorry guys, you know its true! haha)

Maine, can be real cheap to live, but is cold as f*#%, however; under 99 plants is a misdemeanor, but how do you move it?

I wrestle with this myself, do I remain a state and federal criminal or just a fed. criminal?

BS!!:ying:

Tripsick

Experienced?
Veteran
If you are growing for yourself medical and what not and not in it for the money.
Cali has nice weather. So does Colorado. Both are still priced more than Michigan
I see Business end but i don't know if that's just the paper work for yourself or if you are are wanting to start a dispensary.
if so Colorado isnt really the spot anymore.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
well, first step is always to check out places.. you might not like it once your in CA. or you might need to know areas first.. CA is huge and very different vibes town to town..

take a flight over once you have some ideas about some areas you would like to look at and go from there..

I understand if growing is your whole life or your a breeder, then yes CA might be the place even sight unseen.. but my experience always tells me, one step at a time

good luck, have fun

R

rick shaw

Gosh,such long answers and the OP asked a simple question. What paperwork do they need.

You will need a California ID and a recommendation from a licensed physician.

If you try to be a medical marijuana provider for more then six patients you are required to get a business license.

Patient to patient transfers are allowed,you are not 'selling',you are accepting a 'donation' for expenses incurred.

That being said,California is still a great place.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
the closer you are to the cities the easier it is to find customers...if you are growing up in the triangle good luck finding any buyers because everyone has their own supply....

move out to cali, grow weed, and send it back home where you can get reasonable money for it..

I

imnotkrazy

Google search for MMJ friendly doctors in California, then duck as your screen gets overwhelmed by the number of hits you find.

I was born here and have just about had it with the place, please have your priorities in order - legally growing your own should be lower on the list than great weather, but higher up than providing for other patients, and way higher than providing to dispensaries. Don't come just to grow because there are lots of cheaper places to do it legally. The weather is what brought me back every time I was able to escape for short whiles in the past.

rick shaw put it well

Kie26

well, see the thing is, my daddy is moving our family, including my daughter and husband, out to cali, and since were on the way out there already, like it or not, my husband decided hes found his calling in life... growing stinky weed. :]
so, we would be growing high qual weed, not alot of junk.
but, to be more specific on my original question: how do we like, get the cards to grow legally, and how do we hook up with a buyer/dispensery, and so on......... ?

Latest posts

Latest posts