What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thinkin bout goin vert? Here's what you might need

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
Question for the veterans of the Vert, or the beginners!

I have a 3ft. x 12 ft. space that i want to do a vert setup in. I already own 4 600 Watt HPS. IS that space going to big enough? I want to hang the bulbs in a line vertically, evenly spaced across the 12 feet.

My plan is to just grow two, single plant lines, of about 10-12 plants on both sides of the lights. So a total of 20-24 plants. I realize the plants will need to be trained, i envision them almost flat if that makes sense.

Let me know if you foresee any serious problems please!
Thanks

3 ft wide may be better suited for 400/430w...give it a shot homie !! peace

inreplyavalon

breathe deep
Veteran
3 ft wide may be better suited for 400/430w...give it a shot homie !! peace

Thanks Cravenmore. What would be the least wide area folks would be comfortable doing 600w vertical? I could possibly scoot over my thousand tables a little...if it would make a difference?

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Awesome thread and idea.
What are the negatives to vertical, and why aren't more people doing it?

One big negative is the learning curve. It usually takes at least 1 vert run to see how your situation fits vertical growing. Its hard to predict some of the factors affecting vert growing, until you actually do it. Things like experiencing larf, whether or not bare bulb vert will work for you, etc.. Unless you are Aerohead, then you just get it right the 1st time :)

Another problem with vert growing, is all the damn jars I have to buy. Those damn things fill up too fast. I never had that problem when I was growing flat

I think the # of vert growers is increasing daily. I remember when this forum was a ghost town. Hell, I remember when there was no vert forum at all! Now we have pages and pages of killer grows.

Grow on conVERT's !!

:tiphat:

D

Durdy

Possible Lack of light predicament

Possible Lack of light predicament

Hey, had some questions if you all don't mind. For my first round of vert I'll be running a 400 watt light. I'd like to run my 1000 but due to financial / heat restrictions that is not a possibility. My plants are currently about 1 1/2 ' tall and I'm worried they are gonna get to big!
I flipped them to 12/12 today, and there are 8 plants, waiting to weed out the males.

My questions....
1. Would it be wise to prune off the bottom half if not more of the plant to have them send energy to where the light is hitting?

2.If the answer is yes to question one when is it best to do this? gradually through out the beginning of flowering? or after the stretch?

If it turns out a BUNCH of them are male then i'll have more space and can just bend and tie them to grow around the light and keep them shorter, however if most are female then they really only have room to grow up.

Sorry if my train of thought here is hard to follow, any help would be greatly appreciated :tiphat: If i need to explain something better just lemme know

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would wait until the stretch is over, and start removing the large fan leaves around day 25-30. Trim lightly, removing the biggest fans every 4-5 days. By day 45-50, I'm usually done trimming and the fans stop growing.

What strain are you growing? This plays a big part as well. My schedule usually works around diesel's and kushes that finish at 70+ days.

D

Durdy

Thanks for the quick response Marlo :)

I'm growing Kubbas Bush and killing Fields, the Kubbas bush finishes up in 8 - 9 weeks and the killings fields finishes between 9 - 12.

I was wondering if it would be beneficial to trim more then fans, lower "sucker branches" that would be too far away from the light and only produce larf. How far away can a 400w be and still produce good solid buds?

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You'll have to eyeball it once they start to fill out. If there are alot of inner branches, they may have to be clipped. Try to train them so they spread out. You want the plant to be pretty thin from front/back. The 400 doesn't penetrate too deep. Top to bottom, I'd say you can get good buds for 28-32 inches on the right plant with a 400. So you can figure a 4ft plant with the bottom 12"+ cut off and some really good trainin would be ideal. I usually prefer to slightly over veg and deal with the trimming and training.

The plant below was grown in front of a vertical 400. The top of the bud to the bottom of the pic is approx 34". So this particular plant is really effective in about a 25-27" space. This is the average for me, but some do better.

picture.php

:tiphat:

D

Durdy

Cool, Muchos gracias for the info marlo:tiphat:

I'll get some pics up as they progress

Hundred Gram Oz

Our Work is Never Over
Veteran
This thread is packed full of information, novice and experienced vert growers can learn from this thread.

Stickied.

Dicomaco

Awesome thread indeed!

I'm on my second run with VSCROG and I concur Vertical is THE FUTURE of growing!

I've only been doing this for real for around 18 months, but I do not regret trying new things instead of just 'settling' with what I have and slooowly make improvements. If you're an all or nothing person, my advice is to READ READ and READ, look at other peoples setups and get inspiration and don't hesitate to throw yourself into it!

Take it from me, I still consider myself a novice grower, semi-experienced at best, and I made 950 grams with 2x600w my first time ever, and I did a lot of things wrong.

The Vert forum is going to explode within the next couple of years!

Thanks to all the contributers in this thread, I've become a better grower because of you :tiphat:

awsome thread FIRST timer here.but was saving up for hoods now looks like i will be on my first grow even sooner!thanks by the truckload!lol
btw marlo how thick is your canopy from screen to bulb thanks. stay safe to all

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
...my advice is to READ READ and READ, look at other peoples setups and get inspiration and don't hesitate to throw yourself into it!

Excellent advice!

awsome thread FIRST timer here.but was saving up for hoods now looks like i will be on my first grow even sooner!thanks by the truckload!lol
btw marlo how thick is your canopy from screen to bulb thanks. stay safe to all

Wsup Geo

My canopy when I was doing screens, was only a few inches thick. Usually 4-6 inches at most. My 400's don't penetrate much. Higher wattage can support a bigger canopy.

Here's a cpl side shots for reference.

picture.php

picture.php

I hope this helps some....

:)

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
This thread is a goldmine of information, design and advice, definitely deserves it's sticky status :good:
Thanks marlo for starting the thread your a fracking champion mate :tiphat:
:smoke out:

Excellent advice!

Wsup Geo

My canopy when I was doing screens, was only a few inches thick. Usually 4-6 inches at most. My 400's don't penetrate much. Higher wattage can support a bigger canopy.

Here's a cpl side shots for reference.

picture.php

picture.php

I hope this helps some....

:)
thanks!:jump:this is the deal breaker.all might do difrent than you is in stead of weaving the plant through is sorta lst it to the screen???awsome gotta get bak to the drawing bord.thanks again marlo and icmag as a hole.