What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thinkin bout goin vert? Here's what you might need

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wsup green

They are barely mobile. I dont plan on moving them.

I took two 3.4 gal airpots apart....laid them end to end. I toverlapped them by approx 4" and fastened them with the provided locks at the top and bottom. I did the same with the other end, which left me with a huge O.
For the bottom,I started with some left over fencing. The same stuff that is on my walls. I cut out a 5 square x 12 square piece to act as a bottom. I used zip ties to fasten the fencing to the bottom in the same place the original bottom of the pots would be...all around the bottom perimeter.
To keep the soil from falling thru the large holes in the fencing, I cut out a piece of cheesecloth to line the bottom of the pot, and about 1" up the side wall.

Since the bottom is not firm like the bottom provided, they are alot less stable than the normal airpot. But since they dont have to move, it works just fine for my situation....but it is something that can be improved.

You can see them in this pic...
picture.php

Hope that made sense

:tiphat:

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Great thread Marlo and everyone else.. I've been verticle ina tent for 3 years, killin it. fencing on the wall ?? I kinda like it.. more room is enticing.. 70% RH all the way.... every day not night. Thanks.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Now that you have me thinking screen against the wall, in the tent, maybe I'm not thinking, why would I want reflected light from the walls?? I know, reflected light, but I'm running 1600w in a 4'.9" X 4'9" tent, more than enough. What am I not thinking about?? The bud grows toward the light, if it grows to the reflected light, I get pop corn, because I cant get to it untill end of run.. it's between the wll and the screen.. inches. am I too high?

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
am I too high?

I think so bro. Not sure I totally understand ya question, lol.

But for me, I started goin straight to the wall to get more space. My room is less than 3ft wide, so I need every inch I can get. When I used screens, it was just using up valuable canopy space. I think I'm gonna be doing it like this for a while. It lets me grow big trees in a small space.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

:biggrin:

T

THriveCompany

Great info.. Im thinking about vertin my 4x8 hut ..
Hanging netting around walls and have an opening on one side where i can get in.. I run 1ks think i can get this to work ..

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No a/c. 8in Vortex exhaust. Passive intake. Nice cool winter air.
The room does run warm, so I don't grow in the summer.

Hey guys just went vert, running a 600watt Lumatek dim-able, 200CFM exhaust, 4in "Duct" Booster as my Honeywell (Works better in my tent i.e. less air flow).

My question is, how far should my light hang about my plants? They are still vegging in 2gal Smarties and I will be swapping to 5gals tomorrow morning. So my plants are current 1ft tall and I have about 1/4 of the light @ canopy level and the lumens just don't seem to be there, any ideas?

C

canon

Marlo... Can't thank you enough!

Just switched to Vertical. 1k in a 4.5 X 7 ft room. Made a Lazy Susan for the center. Will help bring the plants to me.

Having just read this thread... I've a ton of new ideas,,, ans see whetre I think I'm may be going wrong. Horiz. mentality,, keep the nodes tight.
I'm moving my veg light UP asap!

Many thanks all! :huggg:

Henriksen

Great thread!

Im thinking of going with a 8x8 tent with 3kw, 8-12 plants in a donet.
Would there be a big diffrense in yiled with or without a scrog net?

Is there a more efficient way to do it in my space? (with as low plant count as possible)

Btw, sorry for my bad english, it's not my first laungwich:)

This is really fascinating me. I see my lights above in reflectors and see a lot of wasted light.

Can you tell me this though please? I grow a standard grow in a room with a potential grow space of 3.5m x 2.3m and 2.7 high, I lst my plants to give a good even canopy and grow successfully like this, I can yield 70-75 oz from 15-16 plants, dripper fed in 2 gal coco pots, with 4 x 600w lights. Question is, can this yield be equaled or bettered with a vert set up in this size space, and what design for the measurements could I go for. I could go 2 plants high to use the height and just do 2 walls ( though this would involve a fair amount of work rigging up platforms and drainage for the 2nd tier :( ) with all lights dangling in the middle, with a wall at the bottom end, but would that be the most efficient use of space and lights? I could possibly add more lighting most of the year or with the use of cool tubes in summer.

My space is well canopied,

you can see it here https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=267445

but its very difficult to get in amongst them to work on them, pruning supporting branches,, tying and yo-yo'ing bud laden branches up (Doh! hard work on a 3m x2m dense canopy when you're out of yo-yo's and using dental floss to tie up with :( ) checking big buds for signs of mould in the latter stages etc, and thinking a vert grow might be the answer to this. I'm a bit loathed to move on from something I have sussed pretty well, but I am liking this idea very much.

Yield comparison for space and shape of grow space?

Thanks, Trev

packerfan79

Veteran
This is my 2nd vert run first was not great. Didn't calibrate my ppm meter and my girls got rootbound. I got greedy and tried to run too many plants. This time I'm running 22 to 24 plants.instead of 32 I'm in a 6.5x6.5x6.5ft tent sealed with 2 1ks stacked in cooltubes. I know cooltubes suck but 108 degree weather and being in an uninsulated garage sucks more. I have a shelf around the perimeter with 12 plants and 12 on the floor level. I was thinking of using the orange fence. But not sure I have to get in my tent to work on stuff and water. Any thoughts on how I can tie my plants and still have access to my plants. Anyone use co2 bags i'm running 4 seems to have veg rocking. Thoughts on new strains I have a super bad indica that doesn't stretch much and true og which stretches 50% max. Kinda want sour diesel never tried it but it sounds good for some reason. Anyone know what seed company that has sd

badseed77

I am looking to change to vert but am unsure on a suitable floor fan to sit beneath my HPS .
Has anyone used the vornado fans? , unfortunately I cannot get honeywell fans in my country but can get vornado ( bloody expensive lol ) .
I didnt want to fork the bucks and find the vornado on low was to much for my 5x5x6 room .

Great thread Marlo , most appreciated .

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Another round.....

Another round.....

Just posted this in my diary, but I wanted to post it here so the vert guys can see it too....

Switched to soil beds to see if the added rootspace will do me some good.

Strain is Gorrila Glue #4

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php
[/FONT]

picture.php