What's new

THE WHO at 50---Whos going?

Hank Hemp

Veteran
Pinball damit is that off of Let it bleed or beggars?
PS Hey Nukklehead Don't be bad mouthing The Elvis all of those pill bottles were approved by several doctors. Before Elvis RnR was dying, the world never hardly heard it. Then Elvis, he caused rock to come alive. Watch Bill Haley then watch Elvis. I believe I just saw a Beach Boys concert on the TV just the other day. Ain't they pre-Beatles?

merc500

you had to hear Townsends guitar rolling off the hills on aug. 16 1969'. at 3 AM . MAGIC ! yes i was standing right there and there is no going back

nukklehead

Pinball damit is that off of Let it bleed or beggars?
PS Hey Nukklehead Don't be bad mouthing The Elvis all of those pill bottles were approved by several doctors. Before Elvis RnR was dying, the world never hardly heard it. Then Elvis, he caused rock to come alive. Watch Bill Haley then watch Elvis. I believe I just saw a Beach Boys concert on the TV just the other day. Ain't they pre-Beatles?

I think good vibrations hit about 64 or 65 so was right in the same time frame... and for elvis it wasnt the pills it was cheeseburgers, and memphis bbq.... momma.... lol... j/j:biggrin:

I think you are right about that lull in RnR and Elvis sprang it on the scene, fwiw most of the american sound was rooted in jazz/southern folk and church music I think... The Brits more came out of a time where they mixed american jazz/folk with upcoming punk and modern rock scenes... i.e the different sound/style...
Although I am definitely no national geographic musical dna/mapper..

Pretty profound statement I saw was " I would have never of thought in 1965 I would be listening to a band who played in 1915""

Like it!:tiphat:

nukklehead

But the good stuff still plays.

Who would have thought you’d be hearing The Who’s or Jimi’s music in commercial endeavors today.

True.... here it all the time on commercials or others..
Including a lot of Steve Winwood (traffic/spencer davis) and Clapton (cream/yardbirds) and occasional bob marley...

cant remember where/when I heard them, but had probably just burnt one and was zoning on the TV.. :biggrin:

Betterhaff

Veteran
...fwiw most of the american sound was rooted in jazz/southern folk and church music I think... The Brits more came out of a time where they mixed american jazz/folk with upcoming punk and modern rock scenes...

The blues also had a big influence on both sides of the pond.

Steve Winwood (traffic/spencer davis) and Clapton (cream/yardbirds)
Throw in Rick Grech and Ginger Baker…Blind Faith, 1969.

I like the 1965 / 1915 comment as well. I can’t really remember what my parents were listening when they were my age but I'm sure it wasn't from 50 years prior.

Hank Hemp

Veteran
I think good vibrations hit about 64 or 65 so was right in the same time frame... and for elvis it wasnt the pills it was cheeseburgers, and memphis bbq.... momma.... lol... j/j:biggrin:

I think you are right about that lull in RnR and Elvis sprang it on the scene, fwiw most of the american sound was rooted in jazz/southern folk and church music I think... The Brits more came out of a time where they mixed american jazz/folk with upcoming punk and modern rock scenes... i.e the different sound/style...
Although I am definitely no national geographic musical dna/mapper..

Pretty profound statement I saw was " I would have never of thought in 1965 I would be listening to a band who played in 1915""

Like it!:tiphat:
Son you ain't mentioned BLUES or R&B come on now. Hank Williams rocked first and the boys at Sun records combined it all invented our RnR. Country, Gospel, RnB and Blues. No Jazz at least not before Buddy Holly at the extreme earliest. Both Lennon and McMartney site Elvis and Holly as their primary influences. Hell they named their band the Beatles after Holly's Crickets.

nukklehead

Son you ain't mentioned BLUES or R&B come on now. Hank Williams rocked first and the boys at Sun records combined it all invented our RnR. Country, Gospel, RnB and Blues. No Jazz at least not before Buddy Holly at the extreme earliest. Both Lennon and McMartney site Elvis and Holly as their primary influences. Hell they named their band the Beatles after Holly's Crickets.

You are so right Hank... I think most of the british invasion would credit holley, elvis and I forgot blues with jazz and Hank#1...
as a lot or MOST of there influences... MIght wanna throw in some Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, jerry lee Lewis, Les Paul , Diddly, Little Richard and Chuck Berry...

yeah Buddy Holly was the bomb.. I think Waylon Jennings played bass for him at one time if im not mistaken?? Or demented.... :biggrin:????

Hank Hemp

Veteran
Yeah Waylon played bass with him. They flipped for the airplane seat. Everybody you mentioned were instrumental in early rock and I love them all.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
lessee here...Hendrix on lead, umm... Roger Waters & Janis Joplin singing, John Paul Jones on bass guitar, Nick Mason drumming, and Ray Manzerak on keyboards. I get to applaud...:biggrin:

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
I was a big fan of the WHO! Just before some weeks I was watching Quadrophenia again. Spontanous I would say "Love reign o me" is my favorite of all the wonderfull Songs of the WHO.
For a second I met Roger Daltery in my hometown.

:tiphat:

Hrpuffnkush

Golden Coast
Veteran
Cant wait....... My fave band of all time..... Hell they were insane when they were the high numbers...... Rodger is one of the most humble nicest humans I've ever met...... " I ride a GS scooter with my hair cut neat got my war time coat for the winter sleet" my mom and pops saw them at Monterey pop festival ....

Latest posts

Latest posts