What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The War of 2020: the upcoming elections

F

Frylock

I remember reading that his martial art required an extra to fall properly and immediately...and definitely a worse actor than ol’ McChuck the crime dog.

'Apparently' he is supposed to have some good martial art skills but it is all entangled with a lot of total untruths....

Joe Rogan and some other people tell a story about him telling Gene Lebell (other martial artist) that he had a manoeuvre that stopped anyone from being able to choke him....

Gene choked him and Steve pooped his pajamas (apparently) :biggrin:

White Beard

'Apparently' he is supposed to have some good martial art skills but it is all entangled with a lot of total untruths....

Joe Rogan and some other people tell a story about him telling Gene Lebell (other martial artist) that he had a manoeuvre that stopped anyone from being able to choke him....

Gene choked him and Steve pooped his pajamas (apparently) :biggrin:

A perfect guy for the Donald, in other words

X

xavier7995

There are a lot of videos on youtube about how much of a complete b*llshit artist he is :biglaugh:

Lies that are demonstrably wrong, he's weird.

Oh no doubt, van damme was a massive fraud. So was the guy they based blood sport on, frank dux. 8 year old me ate that shit up though...and then grown up me laughs a bunch at how coked out he was.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I was no slouch. But my claim to fame is getting my ass kicked by Conroy Nelson thinking I could kick his ass as a yellow belt. Second is getting my ass handed to me, very quickly, by Jean-Yves Therieau, once again thinking I was all that and a bag of chip. I was dumb enough to go back for seconds. Reflexes, feet and hands were lightning fast. His trainer was my Sensei.

But i have no delusion, today's mma fighters are just so evolved. Hard to beat them with anything other than more mma.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
I was no slouch. But my claim to fame is getting my ass kicked by Conroy Nelson thinking I could kick his ass as a yellow belt. Second is getting my ass handed to me, very quickly, by Jean-Yves Therieau, once again thinking I was all that and a bag of chip. I was dumb enough to go back for seconds. Reflexes, feet and hands were lightning fast. His trainer was my Sensei.

But i have no delusion, today's mma fighters are just so evolved. Hard to beat them with anything other than more mma.
True! OTOH I am not too fussy about what the mma developed into. A gloved brawl! What happened to, where is the finesse we have been accustomed to wrt Martial Arts?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
MMA today is only a hop skip and a jump away from kickboxing. It's even closer to street fighting i knew as a kid. We were choking each other out when we were teens (im 60). It was called a sanguineous choke back then. Rear Naked sounds gay to me. Lol

White Beard

True! OTOH I am not too fussy about what the mma developed into. A gloved brawl! What happened to, where is the finesse we have been accustomed to wrt Martial Arts?

It’s ‘evolving’ into sport, and sports have lines and rules: fights don’t. One of the best lessons I ever learned about fighting I learned from a girl I once knew: “there’s no such thing as a fair fight - if I have to fight, it’s not fair, so I’ll finish it just as fast as I can”.

Definitely NOT sporting.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
It’s ‘evolving’ into sport, and sports have lines and rules: fights don’t. One of the best lessons I ever learned about fighting I learned from a girl I once knew: “there’s no such thing as a fair fight - if I have to fight, it’s not fair, so I’ll finish it just as fast as I can”.

Definitely NOT sporting.
I hear ya bearded wonder :) I am in the same camp. OTOH I don't kick a man when he is down. If he concedes and tries again. I'll kick him in the head. Martial Arts. Bruce knew the definition of the word :)

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
MMA today is only a hop skip and a jump away from kickboxing. It's even closer to street fighting i knew as a kid. We were choking each other out when we were teens (im 60). It was called a sanguineous choke back then. Rear Naked sounds gay to me. Lol
Hey, turned 63 today LOL. Kickboxing was around before MMA. Wrt it is closer to street fighting, yes! Thanks to Tito Ortiz. Ground and pound. No art or finesse there! F'nin around against the cage, well..... Wrt sanguieneous chokes I knew about them as well in the 70s :) OTOH the oblique kick they brought in, is a good incapacitating kick, but not like the knee side kick that will take any man down outside the ring. 7 lbs is all that is required. The amount of force generated by a 5 yr old. Finesse! Remember Sam Elliot in "Road House" :biggrin:

Absolem

When the UFC first came out I thought it was great. You can finally see who the best "fighter" was. Now I find it rather boring. Don't watch it anymore. I would rather see the caliber of fighters like Hearns and Sugar Ray go at. These were people who were the best in their trade. Like the great QB's throughout history. Conor McGregor for years was talked about how great a "boxer" he was. Then he boxed one of the greats on his down slide and got schooled. Conor would smoke Floyd in MMA. That wouldn't even be fun to watch. Would Ali have made it in the MMA had he trained from the start? Hard to say. But I do know not one MMA fighter would have ever knocked Ali out in the boxing ring. The best QB's in history aren't known as the best athlete's. Now I would rather see the best of the best at a certain skill set go at. Boxing, Muay thai, wrestling, etc.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
No, a side kick to the knee will not reliably take down anyone in or out of the ring. A stomp inward to the outside of the knee maybe. No, Conor did not get schooled as much as he ran out of gas after 2 rounds and got ground down. I knew he did not have the cardio for 12 rounds and Floyd is the better boxer of course. Conor knew the same but the money.....

Wrong on Trump as well. 4 more years and many more tears for the wrong minded. Good thing Trump is not a cardboard cutout of Obama, much less a clone. Greatness right there.

If Trump does not start making a dent in the illegal population he is done. He was elected on this and has failed thus far. Does not matter that he is almost alone in the government in wanting this done, he promised to deliver it.

Instead, waves of central americans coming in. Overstays of visas not even being counted. On and on. So oppressive here, can not see why they keep coming over to live with the hostile racists. Oh my I feel like I am melting, have to cry now. wha wha.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
When the UFC first came out I thought it was great. You can finally see who the best "fighter" was. Now I find it rather boring. Don't watch it anymore. I would rather see the caliber of fighters like Hearns and Sugar Ray go at. These were people who were the best in their trade. Like the great QB's throughout history. Conor McGregor for years was talked about how great a "boxer" he was. Then he boxed one of the greats on his down slide and got schooled. Conor would smoke Floyd in MMA. That wouldn't even be fun to watch. Would Ali have made it in the MMA had he trained from the start? Hard to say. But I do know not one MMA fighter would have ever knocked Ali out in the boxing ring. The best QB's in history aren't known as the best athlete's. Now I would rather see the best of the best at a certain skill set go at. Boxing, Muay thai, wrestling, etc.

Great athletes are usually good at most sports. Good musicians can pick up most instruments and can play something within a couple hours if not a couple minutes figuring it out. Give them a week and they'll blow you away. A good programmer can pick up most languages right away (the nuances is what takes time).

Ali, a natural killer and athlete, in the MMA would probably still be a champ. It wouldn't be hard to think of Tyson as an MMA champ.

X

xavier7995

I enjoyed the first five or ten ufc championships, had to go rent them from the video store in the 90s. It was cool to see various styles throw down against each other and it was quite a bit closer to a real fight than what they do now. The lack of distinct styles is what makes it kind of boring to me now, what they do is no doubt better for winning this event, but it is kinda boring to watch. I want to see some taekwondo dude jump up and kick a sumo wrestler in the head.

Latest posts

Latest posts