What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Unc-tanical Gardens

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
all done with the front porch project....did a crappy job on the plastic on the front,but it will only be there temporarily...

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
things are just humming along here,not too much longer until i can put some starts in the ground in the main bed,have one herb box planted up,a few more starts for another,seedlings coming up,this week i will sprout a bunch more stuff,got a bunch of landscaping plants in ground,already had some red yucca planted,got a few agaves,spanish daggers,another yucca of a different type,some feather grass and corkscrew grass and a few hen and chicks and sedums to round things out....unfortunately its right in the front yard so no pics...did plant up a succulent patio box with a big kalenchoe and some more sedum...oh yeah,and put together a combo compost bin and leaf breaker-downer-er,left side for the compost pile,and the right side a leaf bin,i will get some finer mesh chicken wire to cover over the bottom so i can pile the bone dry leaves in the bin and then use a rake to break them down a bit,as it sifts down i can add it to the compost pile or just use it as mulch...

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php

picture.php

[/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Much like this thread!!

That's my supertrooper you're hoggin' !!!:tiphat:

I have a ways to go to catch up with your collection!!

:artist:

lol,and i got a few new plants recently! a couple new cactus and loads of succulents for the landscaping,im seeing lots of new growth on all the cactus and succulents on the porch,they seem to be digging on the sunlight,go figure huh? cactus in the sun...:tumbleweed:

G

greenmatter

i like the leaf breaker downer thingamajigy unc

don't throw em all on the compost pile. leaf mold is some pretty cool stuff on it's own. root crops seem to like the stuff more than they like regular compost in my yard. i'm not sure if it is because of the different microbial or fungal stuff going on in a leaf mold pile or that leaf mold is just a better clay buster that compost. either way it's good stuff

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i like the leaf breaker downer thingamajigy unc

don't throw em all on the compost pile. leaf mold is some pretty cool stuff on it's own. root crops seem to like the stuff more than they like regular compost in my yard. i'm not sure if it is because of the different microbial or fungal stuff going on in a leaf mold pile or that leaf mold is just a better clay buster that compost. either way it's good stuff
clay! i wish there was some clay! lol..its all nearly pure sand here,which i guess in the long run will present fewer problems as far as working it in the future...

i only have one tree in the yard now,the big problem being the leaves dont drop until december/january,and by then they are dessicated chapped mummy ass dry so it should be pretty easy to get a bit finer chicken wire and rake them through to break em down in size and i figured i could toss my rootballs from the indoor garden into there as well so i will end up with a peat/coco/leaf mould mulch combo to use around future planting beds and try and get the indoor garden waste in the ground to bring this otherwise worthless chunk of scrub desert land into some form of fertility.

G

greenmatter

brother if it was possible i would gladly trade at truckload of your backyard for a truckload of my backyard. it would help both of us out

i spend a lot of time wishing i was gardening in a different part of the country but i honestly don't want to trade places with you

can you even get a truck load of compost delivered to your area without it sending you to the poor house? is there anywhere you can get free shit? .... like horse poo kind of shit. anything at all grown around you?

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
as far as loads of compost its bio solids from the sewage treatment plant and city park organic waste mixed together and then heaped up and hot composted,its cheap but its not for use in crop production,the city actually uses the bulk of it,and there are dairy farms nearby and you can buy truckloads of either fresh 1 year or 2 year old manure...but thats it,i have to buy a truckload,i think its one ton minimum,i dont really need that much...and then i need to get someone to give me ride down there,pick it up and then clean there truck for them...so no,in spite of being a farm town really theres no sources for that kind of stuff...

and this is long term planning here,aside from the veggie gardens it will all be xeriscape/native plants...i should be able to generate enough compost for my garden needs,my neighbors have grass so i can get yard clipping from them,not having enough green was my choke point for composting before....i got plenty of dry brown stuff....

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
some of the new inhabitants of the greenhouse,plus some of the older specimens i have...i have so many i dont recall everyones proper scientific name off the top of my head,or for that matter their common names half the time!

picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yes,the front porch is like some sort of house for green things,whats the word im looking for here....lol

yes,not surprisingly after a couple weeks of adjusting to the conditions out there im seeing loads of new growth on most everything,some of the cactus are super slow growing so its hard to tell but they are growing for sure...

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
some new acquisitions...

Euphorbia ammak variagata

picture.php

Opuntia monacantha monstrose variagata

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Astrophytum ornatum

picture.php

picture.php
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
various echeverias and hybrids
picture.php
[/FONT]
various opuntia

picture.php
[/FONT]

the porch...

picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
That furry looking cactus brings back memories. I would have never remembered my grandmothers cacti if it wasn't for that pic. She had 1 of those round ones that look like a pincushion too. Thanks Unc. I haven't seen those plants in at least 25 years.

Latest posts

Latest posts