What's new

The Unc-tanical Gardens

X

xxDR.KICKASSxx

hippie how have you been?hey unc i was thinking of starting a non-med garden whats good for higher temps other then cactus?

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hippie how have you been?hey unc i was thinking of starting a non-med garden whats good for higher temps other then cactus?
the best answer i can give you is just go to home depot and lowes and look at what they have and pick what you like for whatever situation you can provide and how much energy you want to put into it. the big box stores are going to get plants that have high survival rates in your area,and very little that wont do well there,for that kind of stuff you need to go to a nursery but its really best to kill the cheap stuff first...and it doesnt need to be fancy,some buckets of dirt with some veggies on the porch is still a garden...

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i needed a potting bench and i had a sheet of plywood and some used 2x4 laying around so...

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
picture.php
[/FONT]

and the little earth day garden i built for ma earth,i know she likes flowers,she is a girl after all:biggrin:

picture.php
[/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
getting some of the more sun tolerant cactus and plants moved out,there was already a bunch out in the yard close to the house that got moved out onto the new stone work using the full day sun plant to create shade for the part day full sun plants...theres a nice little strip of ground that gets great morning light but by noon the sun angle is too high and the eaves shade the area for the rest of the day so it should be a good spot to sun harden some of the cactus until i can move them to full sun positions....the giant wandering jew will provide some shade as well...

most of the foliage plants are out in the greenhouse now for the summer,really gives it a different feel...

picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
love the work I see in this thread! So bad i just found it now, so late.
But I'm hooked on it! :lurk:

keep them coming, uncle!! congrats! :joint:

Jbomber79

Veteran
Hey Unc I have a little light bleeding (reflecting) through into the flower room just the tiniest bit, I think this is having an effect on my status what say you? 100% dark that's my first thought but I'm having to deal with this small space for another month or so until I settle in to my new pad need some advice.. if a little light is ok than I will chill if not I'm gonna have to come up with somethin else.

thanks Unc.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
love the work I see in this thread! So bad i just found it now, so late.
But I'm hooked on it! :lurk:

keep them coming, uncle!! congrats! :joint:
summers still coming so there should lots of shots left to take,the veggie garden is banging along (aside from the bloody cutworms!)....and saturday is farmers market again....never know what i might pick up!

Hey Unc I have a little light bleeding (reflecting) through into the flower room just the tiniest bit, I think this is having an effect on my status what say you? 100% dark that's my first thought but I'm having to deal with this small space for another month or so until I settle in to my new pad need some advice.. if a little light is ok than I will chill if not I'm gonna have to come up with somethin else.

thanks Unc.
yes,do whatever you can to deal with that light,even a small amount can bring flowering to a halt...

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wow unc! what a difference.... WOW!
what's the admission $ to the unc-tanical gardens? :D
lol,its still the same shitty furniture inside and still no tv but the yard is coming along nicely! yeah,i kinda got things turned around here...wasnt that long ago i was going to bail out of here...

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i was up on the roof so i took some shots of the veggie garden,you can see just to the right of the bed the sun blasted hellscape it started from,amazing what some rootballs and a few bags of poop can do!

picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php
[/FONT]

hippie_lettuce

Garden Nymph
Veteran
The dirt there looks alot like the dirt where we were in socal. Some chickens or birds will do the trick..the seeds from what the birds eat and their poop transform that soil. Otherwise you already got a huge head start...I'm just barely beginning to think about planting beans!!

And do you have some Siam thai basil growing? If not and you like Thai food then that basil in a "Thai chicken basil" dish is delicious. I grew some Siam thai basil last year from seed and it smelled awesome. I don't like eating Twizzlers but that's what it reminded me of.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yes i have at least 3 types of thai basil going,purple thai,royal siam,and one more i cant think of off the top of my head,and plenty of genovese

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
some more cactus in bloom,the mammilaria all seem to be done,this time its a rebutia and a peanut cactus...

picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

picture.php
[/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
most of the cactus seem to be growing fairly rapidly...for cactus at least,some can put on a whole new pad in a matter of days,some may only grow an inch...

picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php
[/FONT]

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
aside from having taken literally hundreds of thousands of photographs,no...its all full auto,nothing im doing is more than photography 101...

succulents...

picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php

[/FONT]
picture.php
[/FONT]

You know,I've not seen that grape looking one before.Looks expensive? I felt like reaching out and grabbing a grape.

Thanks for all the pics:thank you:

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thats a sedum and its actually tiny,like maybe 2-3 inches across,that call that a jelly bean sedum,theres a larger one in the garden as well,and another couple smaller ones that size...got lucky and was at lowes on the right day,for some reason they never re-up their order for new stuff here,least not since i last checked...i used a lot of that sort of stuff as a sort of mortar to hold dry stacked walls together,turns out to be a good desert strategy since the roots are protected under rocks and moisture tends to collect under the walls so the root systems end up making the wall stronger..

Latest posts

Latest posts