What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The ULTIMATE stealth strain

The ULTIMATE stealth strain

• Can it be done?

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • Will it not work?

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Would you grow it?

Votes: 13 39.4%

• Total voters

teide

Veteran
That is the problem...

But I just can't imagine that crossing two heavy leaf varieties will produce normal leafs...:chin:

Unfortunately, that is exactly what will happen, I'm afraid. Due to the recessive leaf trait, I reckon f1 will not show freak leaves, even if both parents have their own freak genes. F2 will be a blast, though.

teide

Veteran
F1 crosses are crucial to save the genes for later crosses, but I bet we don't need many f1 individuals, as they are all identical in regards to the recessive trait we want. They all have the recessive leaf allele. F2 will need to be a huge population to get the best selection. It is quite easy when there is just one recessive trait we want passed on. It gets harder when we want recessive leaf trait and auto in the same plant. The safest bet in my opinion is crossing an auto with the recessive leaf pheno and then intercrossing a few f1s. Then when the f2 seeds are ready, make space for 50-100 seedlings to make the selection. The f2 seedlings that don't show the leaf trait can be discarded early as the leaves will show quickly. Toss the ones that don't show desirable leaves and replace with new f2 seeds. The ones that are auto will show preflowers around a month old. A punnet square for two recessive traits shows that one out of sixteen will end up with both the traits. Planting more than 50 f2 seeds should give you a good chance of finding both a male and female with double recessive phenos, auto and leaves.
That is according to plain mendelian theory, but real life can still turn out sneaky. I have f2s of a brazilian sativa/auto cross. According to the punnet square I will see 1/4 of the f2s autoflowering. I have 12 going, hoping for one or two autoing. Seems like they are all heterozygous.. A big enough f2 population is essential.

G

I've found a variegated round leaf phenotype site 4 seedling in my hunt. Hopefully it doesn't grow out of it. Will be used in the next round of selection if it keeps the stripe look

teide

Veteran
That is great, liltree. Round, variegated leaves are as stealth as it gets. I don't know any thing about variegation, does it some times disappear as the plant grows? I though it stayed throughout the plant's life cycle, but might not reappear in offspring. I read Miasa Mura has stabilised it in an auto duck hybrid. I also think I read it pops up in dj shorts genetics. I guess variegation is also a recessive trait. You have some work cut out for you, stabilizing leaf shape and variegation. Add to that grinspoon buds and autoflowering, and it seems a daunting task..
I have started flowering my Dr grinspoon, as I still don't have any abcs to play with. So far it looks amazing. It is the most slender plant, both stems and leaves, and it took off in flowering, already surpassing my cambodian landrace and equalling my kc45s, and those are some vigorous sativas. The grinspoon preflowers are not tight at all, lots of space between them, I have not grown a plant like this before. Too early to bet on pearls on a string, but it is turning into my favorite plant already. Regardless of the final bud stucture, I am definitely crossing this one with abc..

teide

Veteran
maui wowie is a legendary strain I'd like to grow.
cherry bomb I've read contains mexican sativa, oaxacan in particular, which has proven to grow foxtail similar to Dr grinspoon.
Is that why you recommend those, cannacrab?
could you elaborate on your suggestion?

teide

Veteran
The Indian landrace exchange. Yes, those are the guys who preserve the Urgam Valley strain sold on Ace's site. I want the urgam Valley.. Miasa Mura already got a pack, and he's growing the abc right now. Hopefully he will make the first urgam x ABC cross very soon.
That Burma x hindu kush looks quite nice, but I bet its not as stable in its bud structure as the urgam. On the other hand, urgam is probably lower potency..
My Dr grinspoon is entering its third week of flowering, and there are pistils everywhere now. It seems difficult to contain, I might have to prune and bend a lot. Total yield is not important, just want to discover the bud structure. I made a cutting today that I hope will reveg. I have plenty of time to pollenate this one, it will flower for months. It might still be ready for pollen when my ABCs arrive in the mail in a month or two. I'll also try to reveg the main grinspoon plant when it has finished flowering and given me some hybrid seeds. I plan on keeping it as a bonsai mom. small stature, but thick stem, giving me regular cuts while trimming it. I've seen some really nice photos of bonsai moms, or budsai as some call them. That will be my goal with the abc hybrid as well, only this will be a true bonsai I can keep on the patio and in a terrarium, or even in the living room. Hiding in the open.

teide

Veteran
Just saw some more photos of the Burma x hindu kush. It is really similar to the typical grinspoon bud structure. The Burma mother of the cross does not have the same buds, but they say the bud structure is no doubt from the Burmese genes. The breeders crossed the Burma with a hindu kush to bring down the flowering period. They separated the f1s according to their flowering time. Some phenos finished at 12 weeks or less, and some took much longer. The beady pheno was of course in the long flowering category. I have until now only seen this structure in long flowering sativas. These guys cross one of these varieties with a shorter flowering variety. The only offspring that gets this bud structure is a long flowering one. This gives me a strong hunch that this structure needs time to develop. So crossing a grinspoon pheno with abc will work, but most probably an ABC leaf pheno with these buds will be long flowering.. So a quick, autoflowering ABC can probably not get these buds, I guess. Hope to be proven wrong

q3corn

It's interesting, isn't it? That although the long-flowering varieties are the only ones to show the beady bud structure, they show it quite quickly.

I'm starting to understand how large of a population of plants you'll need to continuously dig through in order to get consistent stringy buds over generations, let *alone* doing so with ABC leaf structure. This looks like it will be a 10+ year project

Breadwizard

picture.php

Speaking of strange bud structure, check out my Lolab Valley from the same company as that Burma cross, if the leaf shape was changed with an ABC outcross, I think it'd be very incognito. The plant and bud structure don't look very much like what most people would recognize as cannabis. I'm outcrossing this to a few lines, we'll see how the progeny turn out.

teide

Veteran
That lolab Valley would work, Breadwizard.
Try to cross with ABC if you get a chance.
How is the high and terpenes of the lolab Valley?
I agree that the buds and vine-like structure lends itself well to a cross with ABC. Interesting to see the results of your other crosses as well.

Breadwizard

I haven't gotten enough material yet to make a proper assessment of the high, it's pretty low yelding. The terps are along the citrus-y lemon spectrum.

Jayded

This girl looks like she's a pearl/wheat pheno.Plant is a Mullumbimby madness/oss.
She's a couple weeks older than when pic was taken and now it's more noticeable.
picture.php

teide

Veteran
Mm takes forever to finish flowering. Just goes to show that pearl foxtails most likely are linked to long flowering somehow.
I cannot really make out the pearly buds on that photo, a more recent one would be nice, jayded

teide

Veteran
Same cross, different plant:
picture.php

This is in my opinion the perfect bud structure. Very similar to original grinspoon.
Could some one with photoshopping skills mix these buds with the ABC pheno, just so we can get a visualization of what we're aiming for? That would be fun!