What's new

The "Totally random stuff that serves a growroom purpose" thread

wolfhoundaddy

Veteran
Here 's a couple.

recirculating pump. I use azamax to fight spider mites. It's preferred to dunk them, or use a hand sprayer to get to every angle. I took a 5 gal. bucket, 5 gallon paint strainer (fits right on to the top of the bucket). Put a swamp cooler pump into the bucket with a 1/4" hose for the outlet. Added one gallon of mixed up azamax solution. Place the plant onto the paint strainer and blast away. I balled up a sandwich bag to cover the dirt, so I could tip it over or upside down and get all sides of the leaves. Poor man's parts washer!
If the plants are larger make a shower curtain out of plastic and let it drain the mix back into the bucket.
After I spray, I use the left over to drench the soil.

concrete remesh wire.

Screw furring strips to ceiling. Staple wire to furr strips. Remesh comes in 4'x8' panels, 6" squares. Hang everything to it, lights, wires, duct... I make my own hooks to hang stuff out of a stiff wire used to install insulation, or ceiling grid wire. Also handy to dry plants too.

jayjayfrank

Veteran
Turkey Baster
31IB4uGX%2BFL._SY300_.jpg

for watering small seedlings that just sprouted

hit tip to dj short

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
So I am transplanting and I forgot one of the greatest item at Home Depot that helps keep my garden tidy...so, ONE MORE THING, please.

Mesh Drywall Tape: Something to cover those container drain-holes to prevent grow medium from spilling out--but still allow unobstructed opening for draining.

The mesh is large enough so liquids easily drain...but small enough so grow medium can not leak out. The tape adhesive feels like wax (doubt if its glue) and easily removed when cleaning the container. The tape roll is about 2" wide and for my 5 gallon containers, 5 rectangle shaped 1" x 2" patches are needed.

$10 at Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com/p/FibaTape-500-ft-White-Self-Adhesive-Mesh-Drywall-Tape-FDW8249-U/100401004

a3a7ccdc-4b36-4402-a3d8-9dbbeabf1f19_1000.jpg

Now my container saucers contain just liquid runoff and the grow medium stays inside the container...and no more voids (the empty space created when grow medium falls through the container drain hole).

Cheers again!

the gnome

Veteran
excellent idea on the drywall mesh tape eclipse :good:

for a while I ran 1 + 5 gallon plastic pots and had to cut pieces of fiberglass porch screen t
hen tape it in place over the holes till soil was put in....
time consuming and just a plain old PITA

Last edited:

bayarea925

Don't forget the calendar to write down what you did that day. You might need to get a space pen to write on the wall.

the gnome

Veteran
come watering time, every 2 days i use to start dreading it.
loved spending the quality time but the bending over and feeding 30+ gallons by hand works on an old Gnome's bonz.

so i picked up a water flow meter and a watering wand.
i can meter out fertz-n-water to either a liter at a time or in tenths of a gallon,
knowing what the plants will take, using the flow meter this gets me just to run off and not over flowing and mop time.
picture.php

picked up a 50ft coil hose that springs back to 3 ft when your finished and hooked it to a sub pump that goes into a 32 or 44gallon brute trash can.
:dance013:
picture.php

plug in the pump and turn the tunes up, have a sit down in the chair and spend quality time with the ladies :bigeye:
picture.php

Last edited:
I use 100 dollar window air conditioners as dehumidifiers. I just pop a hole in the bottom and install a bulkhead with a hose outlet. Many units already have a drain plug on the back. I currently have an 8000 btu unit which totally outperforms my old LG 70 pint.

I just set it on the shelf and plug it in. Bam! instant dehuey!

RonSmooth

Veteran
Always keep a roll tacked to the wall in my room.

5644.jpg

I always have a roll of Gorilla, foil, masking & electrical tape handy.

Pinball Wizard

The wand chooses the wizard
Veteran
..if you have recessed windows..with mini-blinds?

..if you have recessed windows..with mini-blinds?

Roll of roofing insulation paper. (used under shingles) 36" x ? ft.

Easy to cut with scissors: light proof, water proof, heat/cold proof. Tacks up easy.
(use mini binds to hide, on the outside)

Easy way to make a window dark as the wall. (the burlap bag is optional :D)

Last edited:

Medium Pimpin'

Ask Beavis, I Get Nothing Butt Head
Veteran
Blue painters tape to label every container.
i used to use white electrical tape, but the painters tape is way easier to remove.

also, i'm most proud of this one, although anybody could've come up with it.
Dry erase calendars
stuck mine right to the door leaving my grow area.
934EE128.jpg

and for a blow-your-mind surprise science bomb, i present to you.....
a water leak sensor!
these are used in the drip pans for house central air.
once the drain pipes back up into the collection pan and hit the sensor, the sensor opens and shuts off the a/c.
great to incorporate into any hydro setup where leaks might happen.
many different ways to rig this thing, the possibilities are endless!
you can use it to open a circuit, or to control a backup drain pump.
anything you can dream of!
sp1p_00_new.jpg

great idea for a thread!

Critter

Think for yourself, question authority
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Shower curtain rods for lights and scrog screen support. Great idea for thread fo sho ;)

headseed

Always keep a roll tacked to the wall in my room.

View Image

I always have a roll of Gorilla, foil, masking & electrical tape handy.

For those of you in the Northeast, Ocean State Job Lot has the rolls of green garden tie for $1.00. If you like the green velcro garden tie rolls they have those as well.

While I'm at it, they also have $4 trimming scissors that I am using over the fiskars. The handles are just a little longer.

Latest posts

Latest posts