What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Terpenes of Cannabis Their Aromas and Effects

JointOperation

Like all the Haze hybrids? Are they zombie? Many newer varieties are terpene rich as people have discovered they are better. And they also have very high THC levels. Why is that? High THC/High Terpene varieties are what I like, they can be made, and are made, higher THC levels do not automatically mean lower terpenes
BTW the wrong terpenes make weed zombie in my mind.
What do you mean by zombie, to strong, wrong high, couch lock, no high?
-SamS

I think its funny wen people say this. I think its a way for idiots to try and get rid of there decent looking bud that has 0 smell by claiming if it smelled better the thc content would be lower hahah ..

we know entourage effect is super important :huggg:

This is not Rudolf's work.

Samples were analyzed by Dr. R. Brenneisen in the Laboratory of Phytopharmacology at the University of Bern.

There are several other methods to convert CBD to THC, many methods are much older.

Indeed, that may be a reason why in the USA THC levels already rose from 1.5% in 1980 to 4.2% in 1997.

Like all the Haze hybrids? Are they zombie?

In general the haze you get in coffeeshops became much more couchlock since 2001.
Of course not as couchlock as indica's that became even worse, again in general.

terpene rich are better.
BTW the wrong terpenes make weed zombie in my mind.

Exactly, especially in the wrong ratio's and/or combinations.
Terpenoïd profiles also changed significantly in cuttings grown in the Netherlands since 2001.

Do you have any proof or studies that shows that

Yes, very simple, convincing and easy to understand.

Back on topic, this is very interesting:

Smells –unconscious component in our behavior

http://staff.washington.edu/raista/Secret Scents.pdf
That's an understatement.
I cut and paste these from the article;

Top Notes
The majority of essential oils are classified as top notes. they evaporate fast, are fresh & uplifting
Bergamot Clary Sage Eucalyptus Grapefruit, Lemon, Lemongrass Orange Peppermint Tangerine Tea Tree

Esters:
Benzyl benzoate – gum benzoin, tincture of benzoin
Methyl salicylate - Oil of wintergreen ester of .
Geranylacetate – geranium, lemon grass, melissa, ..

Phenoles:
anethole – characterisitic constituent in fennel
eugenol – main constituent in clove, cinnamon, pepper
Thymol - - in thyme & oregano
methyl-chavicol – in thyme and basil
cavracol - in thyme, oregano, peppermint

Ketones:
carvone caraway, mint – major constituent in
fenchone – in fennel together with limonene
jasmone – major constituent in jasmin oil
menthone – in peppermint, pennryoal”

:dance013::woohoo::biggrin:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
x

Samples were analyzed by Dr. R. Brenneisen in the Laboratory of Phytopharmacology at the University of Bern.

As far as I know the analysis was done by J Hoek, Deltalab, I have the paper in front of me, do you have it? Mine is in Dutch. Why would the Dutch be sending Cannabis samples to be tested in another country? If you are really sure let me know and I will email Rudy in Bern, he is an old colleague and friend, I can just ask him. But be sure first.....
-SamS

Indeed, that may be a reason why in the USA THC levels already rose from 1.5% in 1980 to 4.2% in 1997.

In general the haze you get in coffeeshops became much more couchlock since 2001.
Of course not as couchlock as indica's that became even worse, again in general.

Exactly, especially in the wrong ratio's and/or combinations.
Terpenoïd profiles also changed significantly in cuttings grown in the Netherlands since 2001.

Yes, very simple, convincing and easy to understand.

Back on topic, this is very interesting:

That's an understatement.
I cut and paste these from the article;

Top Notes
The majority of essential oils are classified as top notes. they evaporate fast, are fresh & uplifting
Bergamot Clary Sage Eucalyptus Grapefruit, Lemon, Lemongrass Orange Peppermint Tangerine Tea Tree

Esters:
Benzyl benzoate – gum benzoin, tincture of benzoin
Methyl salicylate - Oil of wintergreen ester of .
Geranylacetate – geranium, lemon grass, melissa, ..

Phenoles:
anethole – characterisitic constituent in fennel
eugenol – main constituent in clove, cinnamon, pepper
Thymol - - in thyme & oregano
methyl-chavicol – in thyme and basil
cavracol - in thyme, oregano, peppermint

Ketones:
carvone caraway, mint – major constituent in
fenchone – in fennel together with limonene
jasmone – major constituent in jasmin oil
menthone – in peppermint, pennryoal”

:dance013::woohoo::biggrin:

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Hi Sam,
You really do know everyone, don't you? :D

He's referring to this paragraph:
Control and validation of the method used
An internal laboratory audit by an independent Dutch
laboratory was performed to verify the method used. To
validate the method, 30 samples were also analyzed by both
GC-FID and GC in combination with mass spectrometry
(GC-MS). These ‘duplo’-results never deviated by more
than 5%. Furthermore, a number of samples were analyzed
in the DeltaLab and also in two laboratories in the United
Kingdom (Huntingdon Forensic Science Services in Hun-
tingdon and Birmingham) and Switzerland (Dr. R.
Brenneisen, Laboratory of Phytopharmacology, University
of Bern)

Too sad that most of the Swiss cannabis research went into oblivion with his retirement. There's still Jürg Gertsch but his work is focused on endocannabinoids and not cannabis...

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
OO,
I have been doing this as long or longer then anyone, I have met or worked with most Cannabis scientists back in the late 1970's-2000.
Sounds like they (Trimbos) wanted to be sure they were doing it right and asked Rudy to confirm their work, but the samples were not all sent to Switzerland, they have labs in the Netherlands that can do the work fine if there is only a 5% difference between all the labs used in the study, Dr Brenneisen's name is not on the paper, he is mentioned under materials and methods. The Netherlands lab was the one used the most.
We did the same when we set up a Cannabis GC & HPLC lab, we did analysis and confirmed our findings with Dr Brenneisen and Dr El Sohly in the USA.
We found out that the standards we had bought from the UN and from Sigma and from INDA were all misstated in the Cannabinoid amounts, one sample from the UN was reported and sold as 98% THC it was 86% THC when tested by Dr Brenneisen and Dr El Sohly. So we adjusted our methods to reflect the true potency of our standards, but no source of standards was actually dependably correct. So we made many of our own, or had them made for us. If your standards are not what you think they are then none of your analysis will be correct. Once we did have correct standards we had results as good as Dr Brenneisen and Dr El Sohly and reproducible, all three labs gave basically the same results with the same samples. We did this our first year with the lab.
I liked Dr Brenneisen, he was very special.
-SamS

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
There were also those issues with the decarboxylated v.s. acid forms which resulted in different %s when using GC versus HPLC. IIRC it was Brenneisen who basically pushed for a better understanding and some sort of standardization of the employed methods for research and forensics.
I've met him a few times mainly on congresses and, you're right, he's really a nice guy. Unfortunately, I haven't had the possibility to spend much time with him, tapping into his profound knowledge and stuff...

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
We preferred GC over our HPLC as it gave numbers more real to smokers. GC's heat their samples, consumers heat their Cannabis. I also measured both un-manicured plants and manicured buds, I always felt the manicured buds were more real world as that is what people smoked. We stuck to one protocol, and got easily reproducible results, that was also confirmed by the top labs at the time. If we needed the acid %'s we used HPLC, but seldom needed to.
-SamS

MountZionCollec

Hey Sam earlier in the thread you said we should expect some terpene articles that you were editing, and to your inhalation test done in the 90s, and that you would post them here. I would really appreciate if you do when the time comes, thanks!

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Not ready yet, I will post them when ready. Some of the work is from others, and I have not yet written up mine.
-SamS

http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2329-6836.1000181

Open access full text!!

Natural Products Chemistry & Research
Cannabinoids and Terpenes as Chemotaxonomic Markers in Cannabis
Elzinga S, Fischedick J, Podkolinski R, and Raber J

Abstract
In this paper, we present principal component analysis (PCA) results from a dataset containing 494 cannabis
flower samples and 170 concentrate samples analyzed for 31 compounds. A continuum of chemical composition
amongst cannabis strains was found instead of distinct chemotypes. Our data shows that some strains are much
more reproducible in chemical composition than others. Strains labeled as indica were compared with those labeled
as sativa and no evidence was found that these two cultivars are distinctly different chemotypes. PCA of “OG” and
“Kush” type strains found that “OG” strains have relatively higher levels of α-terpineol, fenchol, limonene, camphene, terpinolene and linalool where “Kush” samples are characterized mainly by the compounds trans-ocimene, guaiol, β-eudesmol, myrcene and α-pinene. The composition of concentrates and flowers were compared as well. Although the absolute concentration of compounds in concentrates is much higher, the relative composition of compounds between flowers and concentrates is similar.

MountZionCollec

Glad to see the wercshop did end up releasing an article on terpenes! It was a decent read, they just started that terpene enhanced brand so I thought they would provide more concrete info. How did he start a whole terpene enhanced brand based on such little information? He must have read your paper Sam :)!

On their website it shows they only test for 8 terpenes when done for the public (http://thewercshop.com/services/terpene-profiling-services/).

I do hope Future laws make labs be independent, the wercshop and steep hill give me the creeps but We have little options. I will be growing out many pure sativa strains to get terpene tested, hundreds, they would love to get the terpinoid data on that so they can replicate and poop out the concentrate form, fuck them I'm changing the names to Code letters and numbers.

http://www.medicaljane.com/2014/05/22/cannaroma-the-werc-shop-unveils-terpene-enhanced-product-line/

http://www.cannaroma.com

How much do the gc machine to test terpenes roughly cost? Are those the 50k handheld things or does it require equipment that is hundreds of thousands of $$??

LostTribe

Premium user
great all I need is some mangos for enhanced THC effectiveness! Where can I get some at this hour, hmmmmmm.....

mack 10

Veteran
Once we did have correct standards we had results as good as Dr Brenneisen and Dr El Sohly and reproducible, all three labs gave basically the same results with the same samples. We did this our first year with the lab.
I liked Dr Brenneisen, he was very special.
-SamS

There were also those issues with the decarboxylated v.s. acid forms which resulted in different %s when using GC versus HPLC. IIRC it was Brenneisen who basically pushed for a better understanding and some sort of standardization of the employed methods for research and forensics.
I've met him a few times mainly on congresses and, you're right, he's really a nice guy. Unfortunately, I haven't had the possibility to spend much time with him, tapping into his profound knowledge and stuff...

So why do the labs in the US find it so hard to replicate results.
Any sample tested even by the same labs are coming back different.
What are they doing so wrong?
Is it because ofl using diff standards? Why has a standard Standard not been devoloped?

Latest posts

Latest posts