What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Terpenes of Cannabis Their Aromas and Effects

waveguide

Veteran
i'd give three nuts to study *authentic* chinese medicene.

you know, without any nasty occidentals redacting the material for occidental purposes, eg. no old wealthy german masonic "scholars", no insane american "practitioners". fat chance really.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
check this out....
2wqx1jk.jpg
[/IMG]

BTW What does menthol do to you?

Japanese mint is very nice and very strong. With just 3 drops in a full can of coffee you have a fresh taste in your mouth all day.
It does cheer you up, simular as hop and significantly increases the effect of cannabis. They go great together.
It clearly stimulates the brain and is great for studying. It reduces couchlock and would probably increase mouse motility if they tested that.
You should be carefull with it, because it is obviously addictive.

Regular mint is not even half as strong in taste and much more earthy. It has effect on a specific part of your brain you can literally put your finger on.
3 Times as much regular mint in your coffee will still leave a coffee taste in your mouth, though a little sweeter and nicer.
Surprisingly it will make you eat more and get you munchies and also increases the quantity and quality of BM's.
Good shit :moon: :biggrin:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
How could I give credit to Martin A. Lee when Russo contributed much more? And as a point of fact, neither of them went into the organoleptic properties of the substances. If anything, I did use his work as an incomplete list with very little real information about each terpene. A cited reference, sure. Give him credit for my work searching out actual information? It would be more accurate to give credit to the Organoleptic database that I personally scoured over for a month and the Fenaroli's Handbook of Flavor Ingredients: Volumes I and II. 3rd ed.

Fenaroli's Handbook of Flavor Ingredients
Shame few are found in Cannabis, and it took you over a month to see that. Not to say I have not done the same when I am after something. I have been told I am obsessive.
-SamS

SeafOur,
How many terpenes are found in Cannabis? Have you changed your mind?
And while others may say 400 or 20,000 don't you respect the work by people like PhD Rudolf Brenneisen? He says 140 as you know.
http://www.hampapartiet.se/09.pdf Pg 28-35.
PS I like your effort, but I would suggest you need to focus on what has been found in Cannabis, if you want to know the Terpenes of Cannabis their aromas and effects.
Terpenes are all the rage now, like ROSIN, that is good, I like them both, and I know some good Cannabis terpene articles are coming up as I have been helping to edit them for the authors. When published I will list them. Some quite interesting new info. Keep your eye on O'Shaughnessy's The Journal of Cannabis in Clinical Practice, there will be several, one about my terpene + THC studies done double blind, and others and by friends. Many of the people in my study will be revealed, as they have given me permission. I think I will also publish my 100 question organoleptic survey questions and answers.

Martin Lee did come interview me for his book Smoke Signals, I liked him, the first time I have talked to a reporter/author for a very long time. Smart and dedicated guy.
-SamS

Last edited:

Betterhaff

Veteran
...but I would suggest you need to focus on what has been found in Cannabis, if you want to know the Terpenes of Cannabis their aromas and effects.
I believe that’s the crux of the biscuit. What are the synergies with terpenes and cannabinoids in regards to affects? Do certain terpenes, individually or in combination, have more of an impact? Etc, etc.

don't you respect the work by people like PhD Rudolf Brenneisen?

He found average THC levels in Nederwiet increased from 8.6% to 20.4% in only 4 years time;
Strong increase in total delta-THC in cannabis preparations sold in Dutch coffee shops

That happened at the same time Prof. Mechoulam made the discovery how to convert CBD to THC;
converting cannabidiol to Delta 8 or Delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol

After that THC levels increased, while terpene content decreased significantly.
We lost the entourage effect then and weed became zombie weed.
This happened in the Netherlands first, a few years later in the UK and is happening now in the USA.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
He found average THC levels in Nederwiet increased from 8.6% to 20.4% in only 4 years time;
Strong increase in total delta-THC in cannabis preparations sold in Dutch coffee shops

This is not Rudolf's work.

That happened at the same time Prof. Mechoulam made the discovery how to convert CBD to THC;
converting cannabidiol to Delta 8 or Delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol

There are several other methods to convert CBD to THC, many methods are much older.

After that THC levels increased, while terpene content decreased significantly.

Do you have any proof or studies that shows that, I do not believe it. What were the average terpene contents 20 or 30 years ago? Where? What are they today? I believe that poorly selected varieties, poorly grown are to blame. I can easily breed high terpene, high THC varieties that is what I do. and THC levels have not increased just access to better varieties, I had many weeds in the 70's that was super high in THC, tested by GC, and had so many terpenes it stunk up a whole house from rolling a dub not even smoking it. I still make similar varieties today. I think you are jumping to conclusions based on too few facts, in my opinion.

We lost the entourage effect then and weed became zombie weed.
This happened in the Netherlands first, a few years later in the UK and is happening now in the USA.

Like all the Haze hybrids? Are they zombie? Many newer varieties are terpene rich as people have discovered they are better. And they also have very high THC levels. Why is that? High THC/High Terpene varieties are what I like, they can be made, and are made, higher THC levels do not automatically mean lower terpenes
BTW the wrong terpenes make weed zombie in my mind.
What do you mean by zombie, to strong, wrong high, couch lock, no high?
-SamS

Last edited:

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
As long as those Haze hybrids are fully matured and the plants had a good flush just for harvesting then you can explore the full terpene profile, but that's not the case nowadays.More rubbish on the market today than in the 90s.

Had the chance to smoke some Hindu Kush which had a rich herbal scent brought me back to the 90s but never smelled this kind of aroma on the new hybrids nowadays.Told the grower to be careful with the seeds.

Keep on growing :)

Last edited:

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
What i found interesting what GHS published on their site of the terpene profile of their Super Lemon Haze

View Image

Im growing SLH for the first time. Its at week 5 tomorrow.
I popped 5 beans. Only 1 plant is healthy and vigorous.
The other 4 were small, unvigorous, and nute sensitive.
The one I have smells great so far. Very lemony.
Im hoping its a keeper. I kept a backup clone just incase.
I really wish the vigor was there. They grow so slow in veg.
I think the GHS co has to reinvigorate there SLH genetics again.
Its def loosing it.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Im growing SLH for the first time. Its at week 5 tomorrow.
I popped 5 beans. Only 1 plant is healthy and vigorous.
The other 4 were small, unvigorous, and nute sensitive.
The one I have smells great so far. Very lemony.
Im hoping its a keeper. I kept a backup clone just incase.
I really wish the vigor was there. They grow so slow in veg.
I think the GHS co has to reinvigorate there SLH genetics again.
Its def loosing it.

I think the vigor has a lot to do with how mature and fresh the seeds are. If they are allowed to fully develop, the vigor is there, as opposed to taking them early just to turn them over quickly.

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
@ Retro -
So you think I should order a few more packs and see if I get some seeds that were properly harvested?
I love the smell so far.
Maybe Ill just make some SLH x GG4(r) feminized beans and see what I get.
The vigor will def be there then.