What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Terpenes of Cannabis Their Aromas and Effects

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
I did use Oregano from this brand which is freeze dried in the past, but the smell didn't remind me from the particular smell of dried oregano.Remind me more of Parsley...
See, that's because (especially in cheap products) essential oils weren't reconstituted. You can ask anyone working with lyophilisation of herbs and spices to confirm this ;) . IIRC several of the big and mighty ones like Nestlé (Nescafé!) hold patents for unique ways to not lose flavour or to recover and get them back into the product.
Can't give you a precise literature cause for me it's just common knowledge and I haven't kept all the lecture handouts from my studies.

Oregano from this brand

If our king approves it, it must be good :)
Would oregano alter the effect because of the -high amounts of- caryophyllene in it?

Freeze drying the fresh buds is the best way to protect the most vulnerable terpenes and expand the shelf life too.

Putting your harvest under such a protective atmosphere (and storing it in the fride) is certainly the best way to protect it!

What's the best way to keep my cigars fresh?

Last edited by a moderator:

Betterhaff

Veteran
What about the effect of oxidation with terpenes? Wouldn’t some of this be going on in the drying and curing process?

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Yeah humidor is good to keep your longfillers fresh.
Besides the oregano i have, i also have grind Frankincense which smells great, but is freeze dried also.I know that companies like Eclectic Institute or Arkopharma use freeze dried herbs in their products.The same counts for Futureceuticals.
Most of the Acai powders on the market today are freeze dried.

Like i said before more research should be done about what happens with the very volatile constituents in plant matter after freeze drying.

Keep on growing :)

Like i said before more research should be done about what happens with the very volatile constituents in plant matter after freeze drying.

Who wants to freeze their buds off?

The best way to store them is under very constant conditions with RH around 61% +/- 2 according to tests from The Werc Shop.
There are humidors especially designed for cannabis storage that -rightfully- claim:
“The right moisture unlocks color, aroma and flavor, while maintaining the strength by keeping the trichomes sticky and attached,”

The preferred temperature in Celcius is 18 +/- 2.

Meanwhile does anybody know more about the supposed effects of thcv?
Durban can have extreme high levels of it up to 50% of total cannabinoids, just like Malawi, that is also known for its trippy effects.

Also what could explain why strains from that area are typically high in thcv?
What plants are unique and common to that region?
In the Drakensbergen Mountains (where Durban grows) you have eucalyptus trees and pines that are rare for Africa.

Is bushweed high in thcv?

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran

The best way to store them is under very constant conditions with RH around 61% +/- 2 according to tests from The Werc Shop.
There are humidors especially designed for cannabis storage that -rightfully- claim:
“The right moisture unlocks color, aroma and flavor, while maintaining the strength by keeping the trichomes sticky and attached,”

Durban can have extreme high levels of it up to 50% of total cannabinoids, just like Malawi, that is also known for its trippy effects.

In the Drakensbergen Mountains (where Durban grows) you have eucalyptus trees and pines that are rare for Africa.

18 C & low humidity will do just fine from my own experience, but it is never wrong to do more research about new techniques.Supercrticical CO2 extraction is a very expensive technique, but a very good one to collect your terpenes, seems to be better than steam distillation.

In my own experience THCV seems to suppress the munchies caused by THC.Probably it seems to increase your heartbeat also, but i'm sure about that.I've got Durban which causes this.From research THCV seems to lower your blood sugar level.

Keep on growing :)

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I do not keep buds around so long as I don't really smoke buds.
With dry sifted resin I freeze it at -30c it keeps great with little to no lose of terpenes or Cannabinoids.
-SamS

Thcv does not get you high or make THC better, I have pure THCV and Cannabis varieties with mostly THCV with just a little THC, believe me you do not want to smoke them. THCV is a CB1 antagonist.
-SamS

Last edited:

vostok

Veteran
Terpens and the Art of: ...are the future of this 'hobby'
I feel that as 'we' growers have just scratched the surface of this world

already we can go from Chocolate to Lemon to cat shit just in one plant ...lol

TheArchitect

Veteran
I brought this up in another thread and am excited to see the conversation here.

Freeze-drying or lyophilisation seems like it would be great for the hash world. It removes moisture, the enemy of CLS hash processors, and if the volatile essential oils can be preserved and captured, then instead of drying traditionally, we could go from chop to freezer to hash process.

I think this, maybe, is the best method to both completely dry material , and preserve essential oils for later readdition to the ultra-pure (if not bland) BHO.

vostok

Veteran
I ""enhance"" my terpens by removing 50%..? plus, of starch etc,
from my bud, by doing a shallow water cure, of 36-48 hours post harvest,
(change the water every 24 hours for some remarkable''stink'' in the water extract)
then continue to dry and ''cure'' as normal

I've found this to really boost the flavor levels of most weed
...or perhaps I should learn to flush just before harvest ...lol

I do not keep buds around so long as I don't really smoke buds.
With dry sifted resin I freeze it at -30c it keeps great with little to no lose of terpenes or Cannabinoids.
-SamS

Your opinion carries a lot of weight and people might get the impression now it's a good idea to keep their buds in the fridge or even worse the freezer. May be you can ask around in coffeeshops why none of them keeps their stash there. They may not know exactly why, but they will surely tell you that ruins it, everybody has experimented with it.

Hash of course is a different story, we put that in the freezer on purpose to get rid of the moisture or we “knuppel” it. As a matter of fact I still had some Sk#1xDP from 2006 that I made hash out of a few months ago. Thanks for that :). If I had kept it in the freezer all that time it would have been dust.

to dry and ''cure''

Here is how I try to keep my stash fresh.

The most important thing is I trim as little as possible.
Then I hang the plants upside down in a well ventilated dark place. For months.
Then I cut the branches and put everything in carton boxes. For years.

Cannabis stays remarkably fresh for a very long time if only you don't trim the leaves.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Your opinion carries a lot of weight and people might get the impression now it's a good idea to keep their buds in the fridge or even worse the freezer. May be you can ask around in coffeeshops why none of them keeps their stash there. They may not know exactly why, but they will surely tell you that ruins it, everybody has experimented with it.

Hash of course is a different story, we put that in the freezer on purpose to get rid of the moisture or we “knuppel” it. As a matter of fact I still had some Sk#1xDP from 2006 that I made hash out of a few months ago. Thanks for that :). If I had kept it in the freezer all that time it would have been dust.

Here is how I try to keep my stash fresh.

The most important thing is I trim as little as possible.
Then I hang the plants upside down in a well ventilated dark place. For months.
Then I cut the branches and put everything in carton boxes. For years.

Cannabis stays remarkably fresh for a very long time if only you don't trim the leaves.

Cannabis does not keep its terpenes if kept in carton boxes for very long. Cannabis loses most of its terpenes during the dry and cure, boxing for years will eliminate most of the rest, especially the mono terpenes that are volatile at room temps. The Cannabinoids are more stable then the terpenes but Cannabis without terpenes is pretty boring.

PS the reason coffee shops don't keep buds in the freezer or fridge is they sell it so fast they don't need to. I do agree that freezing will cause changes in color and smells, but I also know growers that had to harvest a huge crop outdoors in winter rains and knew they would lose lots to mold drying so they stuck the harvested big branches un-manicured into a freezer and took them out a Kg at a time to hang and dry right, zero problems with the dry, no mold, the colors got darker, and the taste changed a bit, but they got the crop dried and in great condition.

-SamS

Last edited:

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
One problem with cold storage is relative humidity: You have to drop air humidity prior to storage and shouldn't open the jar too often. Also, every time you take it out of the fridge/freezer, wait until the jar is at room temperature before you open it, else there will be condensation. Repeat fridge-open cycles without that precaution and your buds get wet and mouldy very fast. Do the same with freezing-thawing and you destroy the plant cells resulting in, usually, undesirable effects. The same goes for your seed stash too!!
Cold storage is only good as long time storage where you don't touch it too often ;) .

PS With 'you' I mean 'the reader'...

RulaTone

Veteran
Cannabis does not keep its terpenes if kept in carton boxes for very long. Cannabis loses most of its terpenes during the dry and cure, boxing for years will eliminate most of the rest, especially the mono terpenes that are volatile at room temps. The Cannabinoids are more stable then the terpenes but Cannabis without terpenes is pretty boring.

PS the reason coffee shops don't keep buds in the freezer or fridge is they sell it so fast they don't need to. I do agree that freezing will cause changes in color and smells, but I also know growers that had to harvest a huge crop outdoors in winter rains and knew they would lose lots to mold drying so they stuck the harvested big branches un-manicured into a freezer and took them out a Kg at a time to hang and dry right, zero problems with the dry, no mold, the colors got darker, and the taste changed a bit, but they got the crop dried and in great condition.
-SamS
-SamS

What about drying in a controlled enviroment like a Nitrogen chamber? would cannabis dried in a such enviroment loose less terpenes for the absence of oxygen? Or it is just temperature that evaporates terpenes?

I am thinking of a method that totally dries flowers without loosing too much of the volatiles..

Thanks

TheArchitect

Veteran
Won't help much, easy evaporation due to the vapor pressures of the VOCs we are trying to capture is the bigger issue not oxidation. for long term storage removing oxygen is a good idea.

Drying under increased pressure would help save terpenes but would be pointless as once you release the pressure even once dry you have the same problem

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
What about drying in a controlled enviroment like a Nitrogen chamber? would cannabis dried in a such enviroment loose less terpenes for the absence of oxygen? Or it is just temperature that evaporates terpenes?

I am thinking of a method that totally dries flowers without loosing too much of the volatiles..

Thanks

Or a blend of Nitrogen, Carbon Dioxide and Argon. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=6756085&postcount=177

More about "inert gas" and wine--http://winemakermag.com/1308-inert-gases-techniques

Hmmm, "beer gas", a special blend of nitrogen and carbon dioxide that some producer-suppliers make available.

Latest posts

Latest posts