What's new

The SNOWDEN Saga continues...

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
ok guys, i'm starting us another NSA leaks thread, as this subject really does pertain to internet freedom and privacy making it on topic for icmag, as we depend on internet freedom and privacy.

but lets be clear from the beginning, this thread is about the NSA spying on everyone, thats it. unrelated posts will be binned.

i must say i'm impressed with the way these Snowden documents are being leaked, they are getting as much bang for the buck out of this for freedom as they can. here is another gem from Snowdens leaks, check it out.

US and UK spy agencies defeat privacy and security on the internet

• NSA and GCHQ unlock encryption used to protect emails, banking and medical records
• $250m-a-year US program works covertly with tech companies to insert weaknesses into products
• Security experts say programs 'undermine the fabric of the internet'

James Ball, Julian Borger and Glenn Greenwald
The Guardian, Thursday 5 September 2013 20.00 BST

US and British intelligence agencies have successfully cracked much of the online encryption relied upon by hundreds of millions of people to protect the privacy of their personal data, online transactions and emails, according to top-secret documents revealed by former contractor Edward Snowden.

The files show that the National Security Agency and its UK counterpart GCHQ have broadly compromised the guarantees that internet companies have given consumers to reassure them that their communications, online banking and medical records would be indecipherable to criminals or governments.

read the whole article here:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/05/nsa-gchq-encryption-codes-security

MrDanky

its about time you got another thread going....

so much for ICMAG's SSL "abilities"......

how many other websites that thrive on the httpS/SSL game are going to lose business now? probably not TOO TOO many considering most americans could give two shits less about reality...

tebos

They aren't cracking SSL, they just pressure the SSL certificate authorties to provide their private key. This way they don't have to crack anything, they can read traffic on the fly.

I

im me

Can the feds read and see everything you do online... Most likely, do they have the manpower to actually achieve this goal...i doubt it. just be very safety concious online. And youll most likely be just fine hell lets be honest bout the situation the feds have probally been doing this since the invention of the internet.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
They aren't cracking SSL, they just pressure the SSL certificate authorties to provide their private key. This way they don't have to crack anything, they can read traffic on the fly.

good clarification, so it depends who issued the ssl certificate?

MrDanky

looks like the US has effectively created the worlds greatest spy network...... time for the new world order to emerge and conquer the world over

A

Alone

Im not worried. I post under the assumption that they know me and I could care less.
Im more worried about loosing 100's of genetics in seed form, and all my equipment, than I am getting caught with a small grow. LOL

dddaver

Veteran
Can the feds read and see everything you do online... Most likely, do they have the manpower to actually achieve this goal...i doubt it. just be very safety concious online. And youll most likely be just fine hell lets be honest bout the situation the feds have probally been doing this since the invention of the internet.

True, true. You have a point. Obviously that wouldn't be a comma or a period. :biggrin: But if you comb your hair better, nobody could even see your point. :biggrin: Now don't get pissed and butt-hurt. That's ONLY a joke.

My thing about that all is the fact that since they can and do record everything and there are even have plans for even huger stuff for later just to house all the data, how does that fact make it okay at all then? Then later, when the software does become available for them to simply input your IP address and get all the data you ever entered from that huge database, then filter that input some more looking for particular things, it gets scary. It has been in the news lately about some CIA or NSA employees using their access to investigate personal relationships of theirs, outside any professional needs. That abuse would always happen and will only get worse the bigger it becomes and the more that people that demand access to that data.

They WILL have that capability if they don't already too. Hell, even Bill Gates designed his mansion with things in it for use of technology that wasn't available yet. The fed does the same thing, of course.

The issue isn't that since they always had that so that somehow means it is okay. No it's not. I thought the USA stood for liberty. I guess that means something different now. That is exactly what the feds want you to think about liberty apparently.

Rant over, we can all go back to our grazing now. :biggrin:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
the NSA probably has better things to do then watch a bunch of stoners talking about growing. sure they store everything, but it's only supposed to be looked at for terror or organized crime. they would look like idiots going after someone buying seed or growing them, with this technology.

BudToaster

Veteran

manpower not required ... they use computers for that. searches won't be about one person (unless that person is famous enough or powerful enough to be worth compromising, e.g. politician, etc.), but about a pattern of activity. They've said this all along, and, yeah, probably true.

it's the outsourcing of the searches, to say, local jurisdicktions, that bothers me when i bother to think about it ... but at 65, i simply don't give a fuck anymore.

I

im me

True, true. You have a point. Obviously that wouldn't be a comma or a period. :biggrin: But if you comb your hair better, nobody could even see your point. :biggrin: Now don't get pissed and butt-hurt. That's ONLY a joke.

My thing about that all is the fact that since they can and do record everything and there are even have plans for even huger stuff for later just to house all the data, how does that fact make it okay at all then? Then later, when the software does become available for them to simply input your IP address and get all the data you ever entered from that huge database, then filter that input some more looking for particular things, it gets scary. It has been in the news lately about some CIA or NSA employees using their access to investigate personal relationships of theirs, outside any professional needs. That abuse would always happen and will only get worse the bigger it becomes and the more that people that demand access to that data.

They WILL have that capability if they don't already too. Hell, even Bill Gates designed his mansion with things in it for use of technology that wasn't available yet. The fed does the same thing, of course.

The issue isn't that since they always had that so that somehow means it is okay. No it's not. I thought the USA stood for liberty. I guess that means something different now. That is exactly what the feds want you to think about liberty apparently.

Rant over, we can all go back to our grazing now. :biggrin:
I completly agree. Im not okay with what there doing. I just dont let it get to me, And yes my punctuation and grammer arent the best... Smartass lol

Skip

Veteran
What they're just starting to reveal now, is the extent of corporate malfeasance in all this.

The big corps like AT&T, Verizon, Google, Facebook, Microsoft and Apple pretend in public to fight for privacy, but in reality they're raking in BILLIONS by cooperating with the NSA and others.

What they are just starting to release now, is how EVERYONE's privacy is gone thanks to the collusion of these Corporations.

Not only is encryption open to them, but they also can hack into ANYONE's computer, easily and monitor all you are doing.

So don't think ICMag is somehow different from any other website you visit. They're all in the same bag.

Fortunately as has been mentioned, the NSA does not care about pot growers. The DEA does, but they mostly respond to local complaints and coordinates with local authorities.

And now with new guidance from the DOJ, they should be focusing on more specific criminal acts, like sales to minors, gangs, income tax avoidance, money laundering etc.

You can go hide in a hole, or continue to OVERGROW THE PLANET.
Hey, remember that? If everyone grows, they can't do shit.
And we're getting there faster and faster these days. Pot is not the pariah it once was in the US.

Many people grow legally now and there's nothing they can do about it! :)

I suppose its all a matter of perspective. The NSA also cut their analyst workforce by 90% after the Snowden leak to prevent another potential scandal. You figure if the NSA has a 850,000 +/- analyst workforce thats now cut down to 10%, they simply do not have the manpower to be able to keep up with amount of information coming in. Quite frankly Id be more concerned with companies like AT&T storing phones for 30 years and Facebook/Google creating a personal database based on likes and searches. But thats just my opinion.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
What you guys thought the the NSA was stumped by your TOR. lol

not saying i believe this to be the case, because i know they have way to find your ip while you are logged on. but have you read some where that tor is also compromised and giving back door access?

what about PGP? wasnt the creator of that in trouble with the US for a while, then it went away? it's open source so you'd think no back door could exist? i have tried to read everything thats been brought to us about this, but not seen a mention of open source systems that are compromised? any one see anything?

MrDanky

The NSA also cut their analyst workforce by 90% after the Snowden leak to prevent another potential scandal.

...the NSA also claimed many other things that happened to be absolutely false. Im guessing this is just another example of their BS. Lying is not illegal unless it is under oath, and they were not under oath when they released that BS info...

Latest posts

Latest posts