What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Search for Trip Weed

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Pins and Needles...

Weather watchlist read "Extreme UV" today. Muhahaha!

I have no patience, but I do have hope. Some signs of finishing, and yet still more pistils. Some buds are getting very splayed and ratty looking.

20240309_162726.jpg
20240309_162954.jpg
20240309_161952.jpg

A really good sign is that I'm starting to see some resinous interior nonserrated bud leaves expanding and protruding.

20240309_162113.jpg
20240309_165600.jpg

I like seeing this because Kangativa and Bushy posted a picture of a ripe bud of Gypsy Thai Stick that had this trait at the end. Emphasis on ripe.

picture (4).jpeg
picture (3).jpeg

Forever grateful.

Plant #1 is getting close to getting sealed up. It vacillates between 60 to 70% humidity as I put the paper bag of bud in a container at night, then bring it out for the middle of the daytime to dry out a bit more. It's still funky smelling, but also getting more and more of this sharpness that seams to tear at the interior of my nasal passages.
:giggle:

StickyBandit

dont forget your days are getting longer ,
the only way to keep them from not reveging is zero nitrogen , heavy on the p and k ,
and very little water ,
they are sensitive to small increases in day length ,
and there will be no stopping reveg before long ..
Good info for keeping the reveg at bay (y)
I read it is the shortness of the night and as little as 15 minutes of light during the dark is enough to ruin the cycle if done consecutively...just picking nits though :p

Last edited:

ThaiBliss

Veteran
dont forget your days are getting longer ,
the only way to keep them from not reveging is zero nitrogen , heavy on the p and k ,
and very little water ,
they are sensitive to small increases in day length ,
and there will be no stopping reveg before long ..
(y)
Thank you so much my friend! I've been hoping you would help guide me. Don't be shy out of politeness. I'm brand spanking new at this latitude. It's always good to hear from others experiences.

I little clarification please, by "very little water", do you mean longer time between waterings or less water when I do water? Should I not water enough that water comes out of the drains of the pot? At this point, I'd do about anything to prevent more pistils being pushed.

By the way, plant #1 got a little left on the bottom, and a big dose of nitrogen hoping it will reveg. I'd like to keep the plant in case the high is really good. I also want to note the date it does reveg. I suppose this varies depending on the genetics, lattitude, as well as fertilizer and watering regiments, but even minimal experience is highly valuable to me at this point.

B.T.W., a local grower told me that reveg happens by April. If I can stop the plant from throwing more pistils, it could be done in less than three weeks.

So close to success. Appealing to the ganja gods every day! 😬🙏 LOL!

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
hey mate ,
just enough water to keep them alive really ,
which wouldnt be too much ,, , they can survive on very little,
its easier of course if they are in the ground ...

and you are right about how to reveg them ,, good doses of nitrogen and lots of water will do it ,
fairly quickly id imagine at the time of year you are at now ,
you will learn a lot this year about what works in your lat ,
so next time will be a breeze ,
they all look real nice btw ,, lovely looking sativa girls ,
im keen to hear on the toke tests ,, if they outdo suff you grew at your old grow ,
dont forget the cure though ,, of course early tests , but then leave them a month to cure a little and try again...

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Thank you Don,

Because they are potted, I'll go with the following plan. Previously, it took 6 liters of water to get a decent amount of water to drain out. I used to do that every day, lately, it's been every other day with the occasional 12 liter flushings. Since I think they are really close to being done, I suppose they can live on 3 liters every other day. To try to avoid fertilizer burn, I'll just use pure water from here on out. The pot of soil does have a decent amount of rock phosphate, a cup or two. That takes a long time to break down. There probably still is some continuing to become available. To be honest, I did notice that I'd see a new flush of pistils get pushed out coinciding the previous day of the very weak fertilizer dosage, which followed the 12 liter water flush. Wasn't positive it wasn't coincidence. Judging by your advice, I'm guessing it wasn't.

Just got done viewing the flowers in the low angle light near the end of the day. Man, they look done. The leaves are all yellowed, as is plain to see in all my pictures. What one can't see in the photos are the older swollen calyxes fading. Beyound the gobs of resin, still clear piss yellow looking, the calyx tissue if fading. It's not the same yellow as the leaves. It's more like a soft yellowish brown. They look like they have already been curing for some time. The only parts still green are on the newest calyxes. But even though they are tiny, they are covered in resin glands. Time to starve those and convince the hormonal system to put all available energy left to chemically protect the few seeds that they have, with THC, THCV, and CBG.

I'll certainly document the crap out of the smoke tests, and wax poetic if I can muster it and am inspired. The true test of this environment will be next year when I grow my genetics from my earlier grow site.

Here are pictures of lower buds with very few white pistils. I wish I could get pictures of the clear resin glands. They are not cloudy as the pictures would lead you to believe. They are clear. The camera also tends to wash out the differences in color.
20240310_162737.jpg
20240310_162757.jpg
20240310_162853.jpg
20240310_163015.jpg

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Hilarious!
I swear the drying of the pot is helping already. A lot of the fresh pistils do not look so fresh anymore. I've been picking off nearly dead leaves for the past few weeks. Perhaps as many as 50 per day lately. I toss them in the pot. It now has a nice mulch. Both things, picking and mulching, has allowed me to go to day three without watering. The weather might be helping also. It has been windy, cool evenings, and very dry the last day and a half, 55% humidity. That's dry for here. LOL. Maybe that dry wind is damaging the pistils.

I've been sensing that the plant is ready. Perhaps Donald's advice was timed perfectly. Thanks again. The fresh, woody, mint aroma is getting more earthy, with a touch of cinnamon-like spice. Swelling resin glands, fading colors, and splaying buds got me aching to cut. Absent another flush of new pistils, my estimate of weeks could turn into days before harvest.
:dance013:

ThaiBliss

Veteran
I thought growing Thai Stick in the tropics would be easier. :cautious: I always knew it was by far the most challenging strain indoors or up north. But damn it! One has to be a good grower also, even down here! I'm screwed again.
:rolleyes:

I spent 20 minutes today searching for signs of reveg. In my experience, a green fast growing sprout with deformed leaves pops out suddenly. If I find a single one, the plant's getting cut.

20240312_110243.jpg
20240312_110236.jpg
20240312_105910.jpg
20240312_105935.jpg
20240312_110124.jpg

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
I thought growing Thai Stick in the tropics would be easier. :cautious: I always knew it was by far the most challenging strain indoors or up north. But damn it! One has to be a good grower also, even down here! I'm screwed again.

I spent 20 minutes today searching for signs of reveg. In my experience, a green fast growing sprout with deformed leaves pops out suddenly. If I find a single one, the plant's getting cut.

View attachment 18972495 View attachment 18972494 View attachment 18972491 View attachment 18972492 View attachment 18972493
It's like a beautiful woman: if it's too easy, there's something suspicious...LOL

I've been following this tread for years and I'm never bored, beautiful plants!!

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran

View attachment 18972495 View attachment 18972494 View attachment 18972491 View attachment 18972492 View attachment 18972493
its definitely a challange man ,
timing is crucial too , food , water etc ,
this stuff was all we had when i was a lad ,, well choices were very limited ,
just the selection of the imported pot we had that came to our shores ,
mostly thai in any quantity ...
we knew they took 6 months from start to finish ,
so we would put them in around the longest day ,
and harvest closer to the shortest day ..

its always difficult keeping them healthy and happy in pots ,
they are such surface rooters , the restriction pots give is something they dont really like that much,
but they will tolerate if it you keep a close eye on their needs ,

yours look good man , much the same as i try to get them; ,
yellowing off towards the end due to less food and water ,
and they tend to have that autumning look anyhow these south east asian girls ,
below is a picture of the laos , im sure ive shown you before ,
but you ll see its very similar to what you are showing ,
so you know you are on the right track ...
this girl dropped most of the shade leaf and the buds were a yellow/golden color once harvested and dried ..

laos4.jpg

ThaiBliss

Veteran

they are such surface rooters , the restriction pots give is something they dont really like that much,

this girl dropped most of the shade leaf and the buds were a yellow/golden color once harvested and dried ..
Ooooh. That Lao was a great looking plant expertly grown. I downloaded some of your pics, including that one, as examples of what I need to shoot for.

I appreciate your kind words, advice, and encouragement.

I went out in the late afternoon again, under the low angle light. The resin is just sparkling like diamonds. Good gawd, I hope it's as good as it looks. Such a different plant than #1.
🤤

Mimpi Manis

View attachment 18972566
I love that image Mr Duck. I have had almost no issues with the various sativa's you kindly gifted. The biggest issue being the time it takes in my experience. In my estimation, what I mostly see with images in this place is plants pushed way to hard with fertilizer. (Especially with chem products indoor). I usually work with a worm juice base. Given the amount of banana's I use in it, its likely fairly K rich. I always test ppm. I seasonally renew a third of my (45L pot) soil with homemade compost and rarely use liquid amendments beyond 4-500 ppm. Maybe every 7-10 days depending on how they seem to be travelling? I make sure they are fully healthy going into flower and then ensure I reduce the N and bring in a modest little extra K P C and Mg (dolomite) fortnightly right through to beginning of fade. I work on the principle that less is more. I like the idea of gentle soil pH swing. Thru approx 6-7 pH range to enable the plant to access efficiently exactly what it needs thru that middle range. Plants didn't even blink. Worked a treat this season from what I observed.They look like a million bucks atm. These sat's are well worth the effort and the time. Of course climate and conditions will dictate a lot of what you do... but the basics of good horticulture are the same anywhere. For the tropics, sats and his latitudes... Wal's the man.

maxkazar

Beatrix Choice -
M27
An U.S. hybrid top strain. Plants were selected for the the quality of the high. Extremely strong. The father was of an Inbred Acapulco Gold strain and the mother was a very potent Indica/Sativa strain (Afghani - South African). A great hybrid. One of our own favourites. Very suitable for outdoor or indoor-growing. You can harvest an enormous amount of overpowering, trippy buds. In Holland it flowers the last week of September.

Plant was over 6 foot tall, about 70 4 foot limbs. Smell like Juicy Fruit Gum. Best I ever smoked. Super racey, giggly, euphoria, LSD like.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Resins are getting cloudy, probably a majority of them now. I think I see reddish brown buds in my cured bud future. See below.

The forced drought may have been preventing big new flushes of pistils. Unfortunately, rain chances appear to be about 50% each day for the next week.
:oops:

20240315_162706.jpg
20240315_162652.jpg

Probably what I called a tobacco worm in there getting high as heck. At least I've avoided the leaf cutter ants than can strip off every leaf on the plant in an hour.
20240315_162234.jpg

:clock watch: ⏳:thinking::drum:

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings Amigos,

I know I'm just documenting the living crap out of this grow.
#1.) I can't help myself.
#2.) Help from others much appreciated.
#3.) If it works, I need to know how far to push this so I don't harvest too early.

My indoor attempt on a sister plant was a failure. Nine months of flowering, and it continued to push out pistils. I gave up. The product was not impressive at all. Insane! I never did any water restriction.

I've been waking up early in the morning with a very sharp, dry, woody, spicy, pungent aroma. Plant #1 is in a plastic tote, and I was thinking that it is leaking. I put something heavy on the lid to help seal it. This morning, there was no change. I went over to the tote and smelled to edge of the lid. I did barely smell something, but I realized it smelled different. It also wasn't very strong in that room. Then it hit me. My bedroom window is facing plant #2 which is upwind. I think I'm smelling the plant from outside, which is only about 30 or 40 feet from my window. Ha! It smells like it's already curing.

Plant #2 is looking droppy, beat to heck, bug bitten, worm infested, ridden hard, and put away wet. The good news is that it has some buds that look fully ripe. Friggin' miracle!

20240318_071340.jpg

I'm giving the plant between a half liter to a liter a day of water. Leaves stopped yellowing and instead are turning bronze. I bet the chemistry of the soil has changed significantly.

20240317_085503.jpg
20240317_085511.jpg

These are some raggity looking, infested, deteriorating buds. Hold on there baby, it shouldn't be long!

20240318_071024.jpg
20240318_071116.jpg
20240318_070919.jpg

Continued...