What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Search for Trip Weed

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Greetings,

The Youtube interview about Thai Sticks linked below is very interesting and sounds accurate. It's some really good information. It mentions the Nyaw tribe, describes the army green and brown colored skinny sticks wrapped on bamboo with bamboo thread that I originally got. It even includes the size of sticks and size of the bundles of twenty sticks. Later on I got the fat sticks wrapped with red thread. I also smoked some really gold colored skinny sticks, as gold as Colombian Gold, really bright yellow.

I hope for this plant to be a reasonable facsimile:

Server Error. I'll try again as an edit.
i wish the guys with their stories of opiated thai sticks would listen/watch that interview ,
at around 35 min in , they talk about opium on weed ,
everyone should listen to that part , its as many of us have said over and over ,
but those guys confirm it and definitely have the experience to confirm there was no opium on those thai sticks ...

i wish the guys with their stories of opiated thai sticks would listen/watch that interview ,
at around 35 min in , they talk about opium on weed ,
everyone should listen to that part , its as many of us have said over and over ,
but those guys confirm it and definitely have the experience to confirm there was no opium on those thai sticks ...

What does opium taste like. Lots of people claim to know. But won't describe it. To me it's like if plants had laundry/dirty dishes made of plants. Wash clothes made of plants. Very distinct. Would be impossible to smoke opium and not notice the plant dishwater taste.

If people can't describe something then they aren't worth listening to.

Mimpi Manis

What does opium taste like. Lots of people claim to know. But won't describe it. To me it's like if plants had laundry/dirty dishes made of plants. Wash clothes made of plants. Very distinct. Would be impossible to smoke opium and not notice the plant dishwater taste.

If people can't describe something then they aren't worth listening to.
The raw product is very bitter to taste. But smoked its actually quite sweet and not at all harsh. The drivelling oft repeated nonsense about 'opiated sticks' has become somewhat irritating. With the world already heaving with the sheer avalanche of bullshit out there, this is one place it would be nice to have a little less of it. Faint hope seems likely.

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
@kokomarin … I believe this belongs to you :)
D9CFEEE3-FBF5-4CAA-9ACA-1417F2828EE9.jpeg

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

I usually go on and on about my plant #2, and rightfully so because it reminds me so much of Thai. However, today my plant #1 blew my mind. The aroma changed drastically again. I think the last time I mentioned it, it had gotten a minty aroma. I got a big whiff this morning and it mostly struck me as a sweet citric, like tangerine. It also has a tiny touch of a earthiness and sour. This made me think of mango. Dang! I like that smell. It's strong also.

Because I think this plant might be done relatively soon, within a month is possible, I have been slowly backing off of the nitrogen. The day before yesterday I also gave it a good flush of plain water. I always water enough that 10% or more drains from the pot so fertilizer concentrations don't build up. But I doubled the amount of plain water so that more than 50% drained out. I plan on letting the soil get drier than I usually do before the next watering. If it makes it until tomorrow morning, it will be three days since last watering. If it wilts ever so slightly, I'll be happy. The affect on the intensity of green, less, is noticeable. The color is nice and even, so I know it's not deficient. It makes me wonder if this treatment has affected the terpene expression. It's probably just coincidence.

20240202_112809.jpg

flower~power

~Star~Crash~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you did …he had posted a beautiful picture in my thread and I wanted to re-post it here..Hope you don’t mind ⭐

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

Today there was not much of a breeze and it's a dry day. The sun is so intense it feels like it's sweltering even though high temp was only 80°. Well, the early (#1) plant is reeking to high heaven of sweet pine syrup. It's laying on the resin tremendously. Even the tiny new calyxes with white pistils are loaded with resin. Branches are sagging with weight. Picture from yesterday with clouds. I think this will finish soon so I'm watching closely. Ha! Like I wouldn't anyway.
:smokey:
20240203_152940.jpg

Pictures of the beautiful bottle brush Thai buds on plant #2:
20240204_063622.jpg

20240204_063633.jpg

20240204_063509.jpg

Can you tell I love that peppery, spicy, minty, piney, sexy lady. I never thought leafy buds could be so enchanting.
:canabis:

ThaiBliss

Veteran
The early #1 plant continues to push out new pistils as it foxtails. As usual, the aromas strike me as different again. I'm smelling an overripe tropical fruit basket smell, like mangos, pineapples, and bananas all mixed up. My VISC Burmese and Nanan Bouclou were like this, and they both had fantastic highs and flavor.

Plant #2 is still smelling fresh minty, pepper, with citrus making a big comeback. It's not fruity, but earthy sour. The citrus part is like how I like a good key lime pie, not too sweet with plenty of earthy zest for balance.

I'm starting to see some pistils that are dying on this plant, finally! It has a long way to go, but it's nice to see some minor progress. There are still more new fresh pistils growing than the few pistils that have faded.

Some pictures of plant #2 buds:

Such a leafy little bush.
20240210_105908.jpg

I usually do not look forward to trimming, but I really like trimming the first few buds of a new plant. I see it similar to gold panning, revealing the little golden nuggets hiding amongst the chaff. I see them in there!
20240211_075525.jpg

20240211_075609.jpg

20240211_075456.jpg

20240211_080637.jpg

Where are you all searching for your trippy nuggets? All the best to your searches.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Yesterday's pictures were all about plant #2. Today I have pics of plant #1. I'm starting to get a bit better at the camera on this phone, and it's inability to get good pics in the extremely bright sun here. The trick is to catch it at the earliest part of the day that the sun starts shining on it. 8:30 in the morning is too late.

Plant #1 is doing two things right now. It is foxtailing like crazy, and shedding the fan leaves. It's even losing some of the bigger bud leaves. Both of these plants do this. Plant #2 started earlier in it's flowering stage. I think both of these are eventually going to be nothing but buds on stalk. I might not even need scissors by the time it's all over.

20240212_072306.jpg

20240212_075650.jpg

20240212_073554.jpg

20240212_072823.jpg

20240212_072242.jpg

Despite this plant's structure leaning a bit towards that of an idica's, check out the crocodile tail leaves on the buds.
20240212_073326.jpg

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Yes, there have been a number of great, trippy, laughing grass weeds from Mexico during my youth. Loved them. I grew a Copalita Oaxaca that was quite nice. Recomended if you can find it.

Had a week of bad weather. It was windy, rainy, drizzling, with 4 or 5 hours of strong sunshine per day. Today is 11 hours 51 minutes of daylight hours, crystal clear sunshine most of the day, with a predicted high of 75° and light breezes. Finally, good finishing weather.

Plant #1's buds are looking pretty ratty and on it's last legs, hopefully. Two branches barely have any white pistils. If the whole plant looked like that, I'd harvest it. It still smells fruity and weedy (not grassy).

Plant #2 looks like it's trying to catch up with plant #1. Buds are running, leaves are yellowing, and there are now more dead pistils than white ones. Mint with a dry woody back is the dominant aroma, with pine and citric notes present. Buds have been fattening up the whole time. This plant is not going to be a slouch, productivity wise. Some calyxes, without seeds, are swelling up considerably. I'm harvesting seeds that look like they are going to pop out and drop to the ground.

These are two very different plants, but with similarities. I'm aching to get these in the drying shed, but it could still be a while. Probably more than a week for #1, and at least a month for #2. But who knows, things can change fast. At one point I thought #2 was going to be two months behind because of the very slow start.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

I cut down the #1 plant yesterday. A couple of branches appeared done, without a white pistil to be seen. Most of the branches still had some bud dreadlocks that still had fresh tips with white pistils. There were seeds that were dropping out of the bracts. The pungency of the plant overall had dropped off signigicantly. I would have waited longer, but there was a branch that had a few buds that had turned brown. It looked like mold to me, but upon post chop close inspection while trimming, I think they were just dying or possibly infected by tobacco worms. I did see one tiny worm while trimming on another bud.

While trimming and brushing against resin glands there were strong mint, solvent, and menthol aromas. However, after some hours, the drying room filled with a rich piney sweet syrup, fruit, and funky body odor type of smells. This plant is a cornucopia of scents. It reminds me of both Vancuver Island Seed Company's Burmese AND Nanan Bouclou (grandma's candy). These were two of the top three of the tastiest buds I have ever grown. Both had very good quality highs, but not top 10. The high is always the most important thing for me. Who knows with this one, but I'm guessing the smoke will taste great.

Some pictures of plant #1 a couple of days befor chop:

20240224_083836.jpg
20240224_083846.jpg
20240224_083855.jpg
20240224_083924.jpg

Plant #2 still humming along:

20240224_084517.jpg
20240224_084237.jpg

Attachments

• 20240224_084244.jpg
    20240224_084244.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 36
  • 20240224_083941(0).jpg
    20240224_083941(0).jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 39

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

Plant #2 is getting to experience some really great weather. Breezy but very clear atmospheric conditons. I went out to the garden at 3:00 pm, and the sun felt amazingly strong for so late in the afternoon. The sun sets here around 6:00, yet at 3:00 it feels strong enough to tear your skin right off, VERY high UV lately. There have been articles in the paper that warn people this is the extra high UV season. This is the time that flowering conditions are starkly different than up north. Up there, sun intensity is dropping off dramatically by October, the last month of flowering. Here it is increasing in Februrary and March. LOL. Sun has gotten closest, AND atmospheric drying is peaking. I knew that growing here would give the plants much stronger sunlight, but I didn't understand the more subtle things like peak UV and dry season, timing of ripening, etc. At this point, I'm not even sure plants will reveg here like they would in Oregon or California. It might be too close to the equator.

The buds are well past the halfway mark. Lots of running calyxes, some with visible stem separating the pairs, Grinspoon-like. Yet it appears that resin glands are still increasing in numbers and size. I wish I could capture pics of them better.

Leaves are yellowing and dropping at a rapid rate, even small bud leaves, despite continued nitrogen fertilizer in my waterings. I am continuing a more vegetative regiment longer into flowering than I did with plant #1, longer than I ever would have back up north. It doesn't seem to be arresting the leaf senescense in the slightest. Maybe less than a month to go!
:dance013:

I think I might be drooling when I visit this plant and see the buds sparkling in the sun like diamonds.

20240228_161931.jpg

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
So last year a friend gave me some supposed very frosty and loud uk cheese and it had a lot of seeds in it. Anyways ive been growing those seeds. Ive been getting mixed flower potency results from each seed. Mostly good buzz. This time I finally grew me a trippy cheese lady.
I been token for over 28 years. One hit from this one got me tripping and some of the flowers gave me some seeds. So I was able to turn a few cheese seeds into very nice fosty buds. I guess I'll be growing the cheese strain for many more years to come.

20240302_122003.jpg
20240302_121957.jpg
20240302_121938.jpg

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Congrats CheeseBuds! The pictures are trippy. Sounds like you put in the necessary work to find that gem. It takes belief, effort, and time.

I'd love to hear some detailed descriptions of the effects and humorous stories about your adventures after smoking some of that.
:smokey:

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Never ending plant #2, closing in on 6 months, is still pushing fresh pistils. I pull off at least 20 dead or nearly dead leaves every day. Still smells minty, fresh, and dry. It is foxtailing almost as much as when I grew It's sister indoor. I thought it would be tighter outside, but I don't care if it's good and strong. It is tighter, but I exaggerate due to disapointment. They sure are some puffballs of buds that make them look huge. They are mostly air.

20240304_101452.jpg
20240304_101534.jpg

20240304_101509.jpg

I'm almost done trimming plant #1. It has lost it's sweetness and now smells sour, pine, and body odor-like funky. I still like it. LOL!
:ROFLMAO:

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

Today's weather is over 80°, "Very High UV", subtle breeze, and mostly clear. Today is exactly 12 hours between sunrise and sunset here, down to the minute. Hmm... I need to remember to check on March 20th, the official equinox. Does it really change that slowly near the equator. Hahaha.

Plant #2 is responding to this intense sun, warm temps, and dry weather. I don't remember this late surge of resin head size so late in flowering in plant #1. Maybe it's genetics. The flowers are sparkling! I also noticed a wave of pistils turning brown. Pretty much the only fresh white ones are at the ends of the foxtails. This was a sudden change. The aroma is somewhat less minty, but more... hmmm... solvent-like. Not so much like turpentine, like I hoped, but more like generic paint thinner. I like it, but I guess I'm loco.

I'm letting the planter dry out more. Despite the warmth and dry air, I can now go a full two days between waterings without wilting. I think it might be because leaves are dropping very rapidly, and most are gone. I think now is the time to change from a very weak nutrient solution every watering, to a double flush of pure water every other time. I use about a half teaspoon of fish emulsion per six liters, and a quarter cup of a brew of fermented bananas and chicken bones with some molassas among other things. I saw a big dead toad in the road. I'd put it in the tank, but those toads squirt poison. It might ruin the brew. LOL! Of course the potting soil had numerous organic amendments, including manures and various plant debris. I bought a couple of bags of sugar cane processing sludge and cane ash for next year. Verdant Whisperer says the plants love it. The more varied the sources, the better, has always been my motto.

Of course, some pictures:

20240306_153236.jpg
20240306_154944.jpg
20240306_153506.jpg
20240306_153755.jpg

🤞