What's new

The Search for Trip Weed

ThaiBliss

Veteran
That sounds good. Although you said wicked weed had taken a turn you didn't like at one point so you may just be watering down your keeper clones.

Have you thought of selling them and breeding that way for preservation sake.

Also to go about it that way may take a decade or more and in the end you might have just wanted to produce what female breeding can produce at least untill the right stud is found.

Hi Californee,

Thanks for posting with your suggestions.

It's been almost two decades since Wicked Weed went bad. LOL! I finally worked my way out of it by being extremely picky about what I outbreed with, and searching through my seed stock looking for winners while I wait for something superior. I'm finding excellent ones now. The thing about the Wicked is that it is great weed, early, and has nice buds. It is hard to find fine quality weed, and almost impossible to find early ripening fine quality with nice sized buds. My SAGE and Bangi Haze select cuts are more clean and clear pure cerebral/trippy sensory stimulants, but Wicked Weed is no slouch in quality and it is more potent and energetic. Most pollen chuckers compromise by adding something more fat budded with stupor/couch lock effects. I'm thrilled that I don't have to, thanks to my Wicked Weed. Wicked Weed is what makes my crosses earlier and sturdier without compromising quality.

I'm not breeding for specific old lines, though I have toyed with the idea since I have been lucky to have found some great ones lately. It is too much work and my time is limited. I'm breeding for the high/effect that can be grown in my climate.

If it causes angst to see me not give up on something that was once great but took a wrong turn, then this tale will kill you. I have some seeds from the greatest weed I ever smoked. It was a special Neville's Haze. It was better than the Thai Stick that I smoked as a youngster. Unfortunately, it was a Dr. Grinspoon phenotype, if you know what I mean. So... I did what nearly everyone does. I crossed it with something good but had better buds. I also back crossed it with the original mom. I searched through dozens of children, and never found one that measured up. I have just a few seeds left. I'm waiting to find something that is in the same ballpark as that Neville's Haze mom that I let go of due to no buds forming when grown indoors. These seeds have been idle for about 15 years. If I happen to stumble on something even remotely as good as that special Neville's Haze freak pheno, I'll try and crack those seeds and pollen chuck another generation of seeds to look through because I will never give up on genetics that once threw a chemotype like that all time great one.

Best,

ThaiBliss

Thai bliss thanks for sharing that story.

I think it's worth while to continue on your path.

I just think you should consider some selfing of your clones and crossing them as well on the side.

For example the story of island sweet skunk vs the original clone only comes to mind. They out crossed it then back crossed like 8 or more times. In the end supposedly it doesn't hold a candle to the original clone.

I hope you stumble upon those older phenotypes you lost from outcrossing!

G

Gr33nSanta

Hi Californee,

Thanks for posting with your suggestions.

It's been almost two decades since Wicked Weed went bad. LOL! I finally worked my way out of it by being extremely picky about what I outbreed with, and searching through my seed stock looking for winners while I wait for something superior. I'm finding excellent ones now. The thing about the Wicked is that it is great weed, early, and has nice buds. It is hard to find fine quality weed, and almost impossible to find early ripening fine quality with nice sized buds. My SAGE and Bangi Haze select cuts are more clean and clear pure cerebral/trippy sensory stimulants, but Wicked Weed is no slouch in quality and it is more potent and energetic. Most pollen chuckers compromise by adding something more fat budded with stupor/couch lock effects. I'm thrilled that I don't have to, thanks to my Wicked Weed. Wicked Weed is what makes my crosses earlier and sturdier without compromising quality.

I'm not breeding for specific old lines, though I have toyed with the idea since I have been lucky to have found some great ones lately. It is too much work and my time is limited. I'm breeding for the high/effect that can be grown in my climate.

If it causes angst to see me not give up on something that was once great but took a wrong turn, then this tale will kill you. I have some seeds from the greatest weed I ever smoked. It was a special Neville's Haze. It was better than the Thai Stick that I smoked as a youngster. Unfortunately, it was a Dr. Grinspoon phenotype, if you know what I mean. So... I did what nearly everyone does. I crossed it with something good but had better buds. I also back crossed it with the original mom. I searched through dozens of children, and never found one that measured up. I have just a few seeds left. I'm waiting to find something that is in the same ballpark as that Neville's Haze mom that I let go of due to no buds forming when grown indoors. These seeds have been idle for about 15 years. If I happen to stumble on something even remotely as good as that special Neville's Haze freak pheno, I'll try and crack those seeds and pollen chuck another generation of seeds to look through because I will never give up on genetics that once threw a chemotype like that all time great one.

Best,

ThaiBliss

Im the same way, I actually hate plants that yield massive buds. My focus is on flavor and resin production.

I also have dr.grinspoon crosses on the go right now.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well if you could find your grail once with the Neville's Haze, there is hope eh? I am working thru the Mexican sativas of old. Soon to branch out to Indians and Colombians.

I am surprised you could do better than Thai as the sun intensity is so much less where you are and I think that factors in. I am glad you said you got a trip that was up there and above the old trips when you were young. Lots of people think we are dreaming of something that we imagined due to nostalgia or faulty memory. Also that the trip was dependent on being young and inexperienced. Wrong.

I read of a guy on another forum that had the best sativas of 60's and 70's and said the Lebanese hash was the ultimate trip. He got seeds and grew it out recently and got that same old mind blowing effect. I never got real tripped out on Blonde Lebanese but got some seeds to try it again just in case.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Im the same way, I actually hate plants that yield massive buds. My focus is on flavor and resin production...
I had a chance to select this beast out of the Wicked Weed line:
picture.php

picture.php

It was not as good of a smoke as this:
picture.php

^^^ This one really picked up the menthol aroma from Train Wreck, and had more energy from the high. It is also spawned the very thin and long leaflets of the male I'm looking at for the next generation.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Hi thaibliss how's your pine sativa lines going?
Hey Californee,

It just dawned on my that you might have been responding to my quest, in my signature, to find the Pinecone cutting I once had. PM me when you get to 50 posts.

Thanks,

ThaiBliss

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Well if you could find your grail once with the Neville's Haze, there is hope eh? I am working thru the Mexican sativas of old. Soon to branch out to Indians and Colombians.

It never ceases to amaze me what can pop out of a line, even if the consistency is really good. Cannabis is a very plastic plant. My hope keeps me going in the face of disbelief.

I am surprised you could do better than Thai as the sun intensity is so much less where you are and I think that factors in.

I do think that smaller buds tend to have the potential to be more potent, which may support the theory of the need for good light intensity. I would not go too far with the theory. I also think that outdoor weed has the tendency to have better potency if it can mature properly. However, I have been told that you can never grow indoor weed as good as tropical outdoor. But that best weed I ever smoked was indoor. It did have each individual calyx exposed to light due to the Grinspoon problem, so there is a lot pointing to light intensity being a strong factor.

I am glad you said you got a trip that was up there and above the old trips when you were young. Lots of people think we are dreaming of something that we imagined due to nostalgia or faulty memory. Also that the trip was dependent on being young and inexperienced. Wrong.
Yes, some are so sure that the ones that are widely available now are the best ever, but they are not old enough to have smoked them all. It does not make sense to me to have a strong opinion on something you have not even smoked.

I gave some of that Neville's Haze to someone who did me a favor. I never heard back about it. I swear they took one look at it and threw it away. Remember, it did not look like buds, just some loose calyxes. I gave some to another friend who was always very discreet and disciplined on the phone, and I got a call back two days later with expressions of shock and awe. He could not stop gushing about it while on the phone. LOL.

I read of a guy on another forum that had the best sativas of 60's and 70's and said the Lebanese hash was the ultimate trip. He got seeds and grew it out recently and got that same old mind blowing effect. I never got real tripped out on Blonde Lebanese but got some seeds to try it again just in case.

I heard from that guy also. In all honesty, I thought the main attraction of the Lebanese Blonde was the color and the excellent flavor. It also might have been the genesis, in part, of Colombian Gold. I would not discount the possibility of finding individuals from that line being exceptional trip weed. I thought Colombian Gold was also about flavor, but I believe it was distinctly euphoric. Intense euphoria is a type of trippiness by my various definitions.

ThaiBliss

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G `day TB

From what we know now days its not the % of THC its the terps that moderate the high .
Taking herb from different regions and crossing them is not necessarily the road to trippy highs .
Getting the right blend of terpenes or essential oils is going to affect the high more than where its genes came from .
The person who unlocks the recipe for crossing plants to create certain terp combos is going to be the next big leap in canna development . 15 -20 % THC with the right terp will send you to the moon and back .
At the moment our tech is cross strong varieties together hoping they gel . What if we had a recipe book that said . 1 part Pinene , 2 parts limoenine, 1 part X . Will make terp Z that will moderate the high to be uplifting .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
agreed on that blonde hash tb,
i really liked it for the flavor ,
it had a nice high , not heavy like the other hash ...

i tried some of the zamal i grew and cobbed ,
goodness , thats some powerful weed now ,
i have some uncobbed and cured , its not as strong to be honest ,
nor is the flavor as rich ,

i bet a lot of tripping weed needs to sit for 6 months to become that ...
ill test the theory with some zamal and laos ...

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G `day Wal

That Nevil`s Haze you shared with me was pretty fresh from the vine .
It had me nigh on trippin .

I agree the terps change over time . I had some a while back that had a lime terp . Put it away for 3 -4 months and it changed to tangy haze smell . Didn`t change the high much that I could feel .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

ThaiBliss

Veteran
G `day TB

From what we know now days its not the % of THC its the terps that moderate the high .
Taking herb from different regions and crossing them is not necessarily the road to trippy highs .
Getting the right blend of terpenes or essential oils is going to affect the high more than where its genes came from .
The person who unlocks the recipe for crossing plants to create certain terp combos is going to be the next big leap in canna development . 15 -20 % THC with the right terp will send you to the moon and back .
At the moment our tech is cross strong varieties together hoping they gel . What if we had a recipe book that said . 1 part Pinene , 2 parts limoenine, 1 part X . Will make terp Z that will moderate the high to be uplifting .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Hi Elmer,

I agree that terpenes have a lot to do with the high, almost as much as the ratio of THC to CBD. My best selections all have very low levels of CBD.

I was showing my garden to a friend. We were rubbing stems and getting previews to the terpenes produced by the plants. It dawned on me that day that all the ones I've been collecting have some lemon in the aromas. I also like the piney ones, and menthol aromas are becoming a theme. I have not collected these because I inherently enjoy those aromas. I have collected these because the plants with highs that I like just happen to have these aromas. Now I use these aromas to help my choice of males. I have been improving the Wicked Weed line by culling noticeably skunky ones. I am one of the few people I know that like the smell of skunk, in small does of course. But I don't like the highs with much myrcene in the buds.
:biggrin:

Speaking of menthol, I'm starting to detect a slight amount of menthol in Miss Universe. Lemon was the first to jump out at me and the most obvious, along with a sweet flowery perfume smell. I also detect guava and banana fruitiness. The menthol is showing up in the older stems.

Thanks for posting,

ThaiBliss

ThaiBliss

Veteran
agreed on that blonde hash tb,
i really liked it for the flavor ,
it had a nice high , not heavy like the other hash ...

i tried some of the zamal i grew and cobbed ,
goodness , thats some powerful weed now ,
i have some uncobbed and cured , its not as strong to be honest ,
nor is the flavor as rich ,

i bet a lot of tripping weed needs to sit for 6 months to become that ...
ill test the theory with some zamal and laos ...

Hi Mr. Mallard,

It's tough work, but someone has to do those tests. Thanks for your efforts.
:biggrin:

Glad to hear of the positive results with the cobs. Please let us know if the jar cured ever catches up or surpasses the cobbed bud.

I must have smoked 10 years before I ever saw anything green, or even completely seedless. Even Thai Sticks had a seed or two in a bundle of sticks. When I moved to California, I first heard the term "green bud" as a positive phrase. I laughed my ass off over that one. I thought they were fools. Truth be told, Californians were growing world class weed back in the '70s. I was a snob because back in the Midwest, I was getting better weed than anyone I knew of for 15 years. But I never grew anything good before moving to Cali, and it wasn't for a lack of effort. I learned a lot from those Californians LOL. I still think that people are misguided for judging weed by how green and big the buds are. Those dark, colorful, compressed cobs are a thing of beauty to my eyes.

ThaiBliss

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
G `day Wal

That Nevil`s Haze you shared with me was pretty fresh from the vine .
It had me nigh on trippin .

I agree the terps change over time . I had some a while back that had a lime terp . Put it away for 3 -4 months and it changed to tangy haze smell . Didn`t change the high much that I could feel .

Thanks for sharin

EB .
i wonder how much better it would have gotten from a good cure ,
im sure it would have improved it ..

those thai sticks were well cured ,
and were delightful ,
but i dont think the weed fresh from the plant would have been as delightful ..

i ve been putting a few bags of laos away to cure ,
half a pound of the fluffy one ,
see how they look come xmas time ,
and if the smoke is any better ,
im confident it will be ...

onefinity

Hey TB! Just catchin' up again- your garden looks awesome, and I love the breeding project! I'm stoked to hear you still have a few of the Neville's you loved so much... I'm sure you've thought about it a great deal, considering the impact the plant has had on you, and I get the rationale why you're waiting to pop them, but I'm wondering about the possible trade offs- if you could sprout them now and keep a group of offspring alive for years, does it make more sense to do that and maintain the plants you could get, instead of the chance of losing viability with each passing year? The flip side, I have heard it said that older plants and cuttings of mothers lose some of their vigor over the years, but wondering where the risk / reward delta on this issue is. I'm pulling for you to get the big payoff, just curious about your thoughts on waiting long enough vs. waiting too long.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Hey TB! Just catchin' up again- your garden looks awesome, and I love the breeding project! I'm stoked to hear you still have a few of the Neville's you loved so much... I'm sure you've thought about it a great deal, considering the impact the plant has had on you, and I get the rationale why you're waiting to pop them, but I'm wondering about the possible trade offs- if you could sprout them now and keep a group of offspring alive for years, does it make more sense to do that and maintain the plants you could get, instead of the chance of losing viability with each passing year? The flip side, I have heard it said that older plants and cuttings of mothers lose some of their vigor over the years, but wondering where the risk / reward delta on this issue is. I'm pulling for you to get the big payoff, just curious about your thoughts on waiting long enough vs. waiting too long.

Hi Onefinity,

Thanks for the positive vibes and following along.

I have a habit of losing cuttings. I can sometimes keep them for many years, but eventually something happens. I get an infestation of insects and the plants don't survive the treatments, I stretch my watering schedule because I want to go on holiday, and I lose a few to drying out. Whatever the reason, it is only a matter of time until something happens.

Your point is well taken. I'm pushing the limits of seed viability. I never thought I'd have to wait this long. If I really find one that gets me close, then even if the seeds don't sprout, I've still gotten close to where I want to be. I have high hopes for Miss Universe, based on the smoke report I read. I also have read some good reports on some C99 versions and Kali Mist. Whoever made that Miss Universe seemed to double down on what I'm looking for, which is my philosophy. Time will tell.

ThaiBliss

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

Update on the Goo:
picture.php

picture.php

Nothing has dissuaded me from thinking this is the strain I grew decades ago. I can't believe I can recognize on old friend like this. I'm way too obsessed about this stuff.
:laughing:

ThaiBliss