What's new

The Search for Trip Weed

nksv

I just harvested a Bodhi 'More Cowbell' which smells like cat piss. I smoked her up with some Satori and it was pretty intense, definitely a bit trippy.

~star~crash~

lol...it was an "aroma" that i knew i recognized in the back of my head but i just could not place...the astringency reminded of my nose of ammonia then bang,a light went off and i placed it as cat=piss..

ThaiBliss

Veteran
lol...it was an "aroma" that i knew i recognized in the back of my head but i just could not place...the astringency reminded of my nose of ammonia then bang,a light went off and i placed it as cat=piss..

Astringent, yes... I debated with myself about listing a menthol aroma in my list of terpene types that I associate with trippy weed. I previously associated astringent with menthol, but when I think of astringent, I think of menthol or turpentine (pine) and ammonia. One thing cat piss is, and that is ammonia.

Amonia
Pinesol
Hexol
Cat Piss (LOL)
I don't remember the names of any citric cleaners/disinfectants, but they are out there.

I always look forward to trying weed that has something that attracts my nose as well as makes me rear back from it at the same time, like there is something dangerous about it that you should not get too close to. Something in it that tells me to approach with caution. LOL.

When I have what I consider good weed, and I give it to someone to try, I often get reports that "it made me paranoid" or "it made me anxious". I wonder if they tried to roll a joint and smoke it all like some indica bud. The best weed always seems to creep up on me, and I know I need to take a few hits and see what happens before attempting more. I wonder if people smoke too much, don't have a good experience, and never try a lighter dose before giving up on it. When I smoke powerful weed, I always try and find the sweet spot that gives me good effects. I was raised on powerful weed. Do others know to titrate their dosage for best effect? No doubt I'll be eliciting machismo comments about more = better. :)

ThaiBliss

Zitz

You might not be curing properly if that's the case.

Ive had plenty of failed curing attempts lol, green buds can still taste good after a decent cure but colored/off green buds will do it quicker, this of course depends on the strain and its terpenes.

Strains like cheese have aromas that will power through everything else lol.

I've associated the cat piss aroma with Thai, a prime example of what I call trip weed. To my nose, cat piss is a variant of citric aromas. Sour citric.

I always look forward to trying weed that has something that attracts my nose as well as makes me rear back from it at the same time, like there is something dangerous about it that you should not get too close to. Something in it that tells me to approach with caution. LOL.

When I have what I consider good weed, and I give it to someone to try, I often get reports that "it made me paranoid" or "it made me anxious". I wonder if they tried to roll a joint and smoke it all like some indica bud. The best weed always seems to creep up on me, and I know I need to take a few hits and see what happens before attempting more. I wonder if people smoke too much, don't have a good experience, and never try a lighter dose before giving up on it. When I smoke powerful weed, I always try and find the sweet spot that gives me good effects. I was raised on powerful weed. Do others know to titrate their dosage for best effect? No doubt I'll be eliciting machismo comments about more = better.
smile.gif

ThaiBliss

My first encounters with sativa were Thai and African imports (compressed, fermented), and the sharp aromas seem to have transformed into darker flavors of earthy pepper, cocoa, and woody/spice. Sometimes a licorice/leather which didn't smell like weed at all, I believe this was the African.

My favourite was Thai that smelt of chocolate easter egg with a sweet/fruit undertone. I know sweet/fruit could mean a thousand things when it comes to weed, but all I remember it was moreish as f#%$ and had a blissful high - and long lasting.

Some of the samples would give a charged/rush effect that made you feel "ready for anything". An effect rarely felt in the new strains I must add.

This is hard to put into words but while the sativas could make one anxious and paro, they did not have the deppressant, claustraphobic vibe which I sometimes get from high thc hybrids...

Good herb must be potent - but also pleasant in its effects, I think Dj Short summed it up nice when he said something like "I prefer herb that is pleasantly powerful, or powerfully pleasant".

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
When I have what I consider good weed, and I give it to someone to try, I often get reports that "it made me paranoid" or "it made me anxious". I wonder if they tried to roll a joint and smoke it all like some indica bud. The best weed always seems to creep up on me, and I know I need to take a few hits and see what happens before attempting more. I wonder if people smoke too much, don't have a good experience, and never try a lighter dose before giving up on it. When I smoke powerful weed, I always try and find the sweet spot that gives me good effects. I was raised on powerful weed. Do others know to titrate their dosage for best effect? No doubt I'll be eliciting machismo comments about more = better. :)

ThaiBliss

When I first started smoking in my teens I could rarely smoke at home so it was always out and about. I hated getting obviously HAF in public or paranoid/anxious in those situations.

And yes, the guys I smoked with were "night ain't over til the bag is gone" smokers so I had a number of fairly crappy experiences at first.

After that I learned to smoke out of a bong with a one hit bowl and still do to this day if it's my choice. Any new strain gets one hit and then a 5 - 10 minute rest to see what happens. I much prefer to sneak up on the "sweet spot" and that can change depending on what I've eaten or what I'm drinking so this approach works best for me.

nksv

I've ordered the Panama x Malawi fem and the Haze X Kali China from Ace in hopes it's a trip weed. Plan to cross with Zamaldelica. Anyone find try these out as yet? Also, the Panama regs from Ace? Looking to find good crosses to make trip seeds! haha

ThaiBliss

Veteran
I've ordered the Panama x Malawi fem and the Haze X Kali China from Ace in hopes it's a trip weed. Plan to cross with Zamaldelica. Anyone find try these out as yet? Also, the Panama regs from Ace? Looking to find good crosses to make trip seeds! haha

Dawn Patrol - Yes, I remember smoking an ounce in one night with a few friends, but that was always with bad or mediocre weed. Most of the good stuff was too expensive or too precious to waste. I remember all the great weed we used to smoke because of the great highs, but we smoked a lot of bad weed. I block most of that bad weed out of my memories of the "good ole days". We smoked weed that no one would smoke today. Haha. We made up for it by smoking weed on a regular basis that is incredibly rare these days. Back then, I doubt we went 3 months without having some spectacular Thai, Colombian, Jamaican, or Mexican bud. Now I can go 5 or 10 years before I find something better than what I grow. The last time I grew something as good as the best of the good ole days was more than 10 years ago. I'll find it again someday. I have good stuff, it's just not as good as Thai Stick was.

I remember we made a water pipe out of 5 gallon beer/wine making jug. We buried it in the ground out in our party place in the local forest preserve. I'm surprised no one collapsed a lung. I guess by then we worked up to it. We used to roll a joint, then bet money with some unsuspecting sucker newbie that we could smoke it in one hit. We then would unroll the joint, put it in a bong bowl, and smoke the whole bowl in a power hit that on occasion would make our knees buckle as we pass out. My friend passed out and hit his head on a radiator and messed up his neck for life. His neck goes out on a regular basis to this day. Man... we were crazy kids. I don't know how we survived, most of us anyway. LOL.

NKSV - I acquired some Thai x Kali China, but I have not grown them yet. I have a long list now of strains that need growing. I finally rid myself of mites, and I'm half way through testing and culling clones from last summers outdoor grow. When I'm done, I'll have good clones to make seeds from and room to do it:

Maui
Kali Mist
Big Sur Holy Weed
SAGE
Thai x Colombian Gold x C99
Etc.

Some of these above I have not flowered, but I'm confident enough to want seeds so I don't lose them. Only then will I have a chance to grow some new strains:

Senegal Haze
Fett's 303
ColJam
Guerreroberry
Etc.

I am due to find a real winner, and I have a very good lineup to work from. I'm very optimistic.

ThaiBliss

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
I finally rid myself of mites
ThaiBliss

Just curious TB, what kind of mites and what worked for you?

That's gonna be an awesome lineup when you make seed of all that stuff! There's some bucket list strains there for sure.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Just curious TB, what kind of mites and what worked for you?

That's gonna be an awesome lineup when you make seed of all that stuff! There's some bucket list strains there for sure.

I had spider mites, two spotted perhaps, and russet mites. This was the longest mite fight I ever had. I was growing in Deepot tubes with an artificial soiless mix of pearlite and vermiculite. After battling for a year, I decided that instead of spraying insecticidal soap, tea tree oil, pyrethrum, etc. without success, I needed to get serious. I took cuttings from everything, ditched my Deepots, and rooted them in rockwool cubes. That way I could make insecticidal solution and dip the rootings in a small vat. I could then turn the rooting upside down without soil falling out, dip, stir, and twist to make sure coverage was complete and smothering. I had to alternate those dippings with the same types chemicals, and I added Avid to the various treatments. I almost killed the plants several times before the mites finally stopped popping back up. I'm not proud of it because I like to use more environmentally benign treatments, but I was not going to lose my genetic collection. So far, so good. Fingers are crossed.

ThaiBliss

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
I had spider mites, two spotted perhaps, and russet mites. This was the longest mite fight I ever had. I was growing in Deepot tubes with an artificial soiless mix of pearlite and vermiculite. After battling for a year, I decided that instead of spraying insecticidal soap, tea tree oil, pyrethrum, etc. without success, I needed to get serious. I took cuttings from everything, ditched my Deepots, and rooted them in rockwool cubes. That way I could make insecticidal solution and dip the rootings in a small vat. I could then turn the rooting upside down without soil falling out, dip, stir, and twist to make sure coverage was complete and smothering. I had to alternate those dippings with the same types chemicals, and I added Avid to the various treatments. I almost killed the plants several times before the mites finally stopped popping back up. I'm not proud of it because I like to use more environmentally benign treatments, but I was not going to lose my genetic collection. So far, so good. Fingers are crossed.

ThaiBliss

Desperate times call for desperate measures - glad all your plants made it through.

Since I start all strains outside and finish the stinky ones inside, I have been experimenting with essential oil mixes - rosemary, geraniol and peppermint. Non systemic organic control. Haven't got it dialed in yet, the current mix works against spider mites but sometimes burns the leaves.

Like you, best bet for treatment is a dunk and then a repeat a week later. I use Glad Press & Seal and packing tape to cover the top of the pot and keep the dirt from falling into the solution.

But it's gotta be done before the plants get too big or the oil mix gets too expensive. I've been working out of a five gallon bucket but am considering a 40-50 gallon garbage can for next fall for larger plants.

Just gotta figure out the proper solution mix and cost to see if it's worth it. We have not experienced a freeze here in about 6 years so the aphid and spider mite populations are unchecked at this point. Cost may be way down on the list of considerations as these pests are almost guaranteed at this point.....

ThaiBliss

Veteran
I had to dunk every other day for two weeks. That brought my plants near death. As soon as they recovered, I'd do it again. I think I've gone about 3 months without treatments, and no signs of re-infestations. I'm guessing there were mites around on the floors, walls, etc. that were migrating to the plants. Finally, they petered out. Summer will be the true test. I'll need to root and treat my summer garden cuttings BEFORE I bring them in. Then continue treatments inside for a while. This attempt at more rigorous breeding is causing more rigorous gardening. When I get something as good as Thai Stick type trip weed to grow in a Mediterranean climate this far north, it will be well worth it.

yaxu

Veteran
Hola ThaiBliss.

Chilombiana sativa, they have been cultivated for several decades in Chile, its origin is unknown. Some say that seeds were brought from Colombia many years ago. Its flowering goes from 110/120 days upwards. Mango, citrus, tropical fruits aromas. Its effects well electric and active, ideal to smoke it in the morning hehehe.

Unfortunately with the arrival of a lot of grow shops along with them the arrival of modern hybrids, we are each time less who we grow it.

1zn4o09.jpg

xnhy75.jpg

6z3r0l.jpg

2zrpz7m.jpg

21mde1d.jpg

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Beautiful plants. Glad you appreciate it enough to grow it. Nice pictures. Thanks for posting those here.

T.B.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Ciskei Smoke Report

Ciskei Smoke Report

Greetings,

I tested my Ciskei bud after a nice long cure. I loved growing this plant. It was beautiful:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

It tasted real nice. I smoked it today while stomping around in the woods looking for morel mushrooms on a warm, sunny, gorgeous day. It really made me feel good to be alive. The high was up and warm, but not especially energetic or strong. There was no couch-lock, and no crash as I came down. The only negative about it might have been that it is not very potent.

I feel compelled to compare it to Bangi Haze, because it is another strain with African heritage. I was hoping use Ciskei to cross to Bangi Haze since vigor and the fertility of my Bangi keeper are both not up to snuff. I don't want the Bangi Haze genetics to lose the clear, clean, energetic essence that make it so special. My Bangi Haze cut is stronger, more energetic, more euphoric, and distinctly more clean and clear than this Ciskei. Funny thing... the Bangi high is at the same time colder, and more euphoric, which sounds contradictory. Bangi's euphoria is more of a trippy euphoria, from peace and contentment derived from understanding and acceptance. Bangi Haze also ripens two weeks+ earlier.

I'm growing some Bangi Haze plants from pollen of a Wicked Weed male that has no detectable myrcene. The good news so far is that those juvenile plants are very vigorous and have strong perfume smell of the Bangi Haze mother, probably even more intense. They will be big. No confirmed female or male yet.

Ciskei was nice to grow and smoke. The plant was able to take a beating with rain during the last month of ripening. Very impressive mold resistance. Unfortunately, I decided to cull the cutting I saved of it. I just don't have the space to keep it around, nor the time to maintain it.

The search continues,

ThaiBliss

Latest posts

Latest posts