What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Search for Trip Weed

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

Neplalese Crosses Update:

These are continuing to grow rapidly. It will be pushing it to let them go another week in these small pots, but it got down to near freezing last night, 35 degrees Fahrenheit. I need one more week in the greenhouse.

These are NepalJams in the foreground, and Bangi Haze in back:
picture.php

The rest of these are Bangi Haze:
picture.php

Here is a close up of the skinny leaf Bangi Haze. I call it the Congo Haze:
picture.php

Some of these have reached a foot tall. The pots are only about 2 inches x 10 inches deep. I'm really pushing it. I'm hoping for cool weather this week so they grow slowly.
:biggrin:

ThaiBliss

bushweed

Veteran
Hi TB, those NepJams and Bangi Hz look gorgeous out there in the Sun. I think when you put them out after the last frost they'll go crazy. The Jamiacans look like the real thing to me colorwise, that lanky one has the pale leaves and slightly burnished stems I've see on others. The Col.Gold we were discussing has darker leaves IMO.
:tiphat:

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
fantastic work ThaiBliss. I like the deep pots. Getting some of them this summer. I appreciate the attention to detail and descriptions and thoughts you have shared about your process and goals. I have fallen firmly into quality first camp and this is right there. thank you

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement Halonium, Bushweed, and 3rdEye. I'm glad to hear that people turning their emphasis on end quality or still appreciating end quality of the final product, if quality is defined by how you feel after partaking. That is the reason for smoking in the first place.

I discovered some great news today. One of the Jamaicans is showing male flowers, and the other is showing it's first pistils. Even better than that, the bushy and especially pungent incense smelling one is the male. At least the male is showing some positive morphological/aromatic traits compared to the female. I only have a small quantity of seeds, so I would have to make due with what I have anyway to preserve the strain if I like it. Another reason for celebration is that I've heard it reported that males are relatively hard to find, as is often the case with tropical sativas.

I did find that I have made a mistake. My light cycle is 11 hours 30 minutes of light per 24 hour cycle. Normally, I start at 12 hours light for the first month or two, then dial it down 30 minutes. I forgot to turn it back up the full 12 hours at the start of this flowering cycle. I'm not going to mess with it now. I'll just ride it out like this to the end.

I'm having fun, and I hope everyone else is!
:woohoo:

I'd like to call your attention to some beautiful red buds that RandyCalifornia has recently posted on the Revival of the Ultimate Sativa Thread. Lowfalutin is also posting some interesting plants on his Johnny Blaze F2 thread. It is very encouraging to see others who value the quality and potency of the effect over bag appeal, productivity, aroma, and quick turnover. It takes a lot of patience and skill to end up with high grade world class effects, or to even attempt it without knowing whether you will be successful. To top it off, this is being done in environments that are often artificial.

Everyone's dedication is very much appreciated,

ThaiBliss

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I love this thread! :tiphat:

Moño Rojo colombian grown outdoors @43ºN

6 months cure :dance013:

sota

High thaibliss,
your Bangi Haze is very beautiful!
my tripping sumatra X amnesia hz bonsai crossing is almost ready to harvest.
the sumatra was treated with colloidal silver and amnesia flowers pollinated so.
the plant is very delicate, lemon-yellow leaves with green and purple tones.

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Raco,

Thanks for making this thread better by posting your killer well cured buds. If you grew that outside, I'd sure like to hear about the tricks you may have used to get it ripe so far north.

Sota,

Great looking buds. I'm glad to hear you are making good use of those Sumatran genetics. I hope you are blowing people's minds with the results.

ThaiBlis

yoss33

Veteran
Looking at Raco's Mono Rojo bud, I can't help but remember an Oaxacan-leaning pheno of Nirvana's Royal Flush that was the most euphoric bud I've grown and smoked. Grown at 44ºN, cured for half a year, don't the structure and cured color look similar?

picture.php

ThaiBliss

Veteran
I discovered some great news today. One of the Jamaicans is showing male flowers, and the other is showing it's first pistils....

My mania got corrected. It turns out that the Jamaican with the pistil is a hermaphrodite. At first I thought I found it was female with male flowers, but after a few days, I now realize it is a male with a few pistils. I'll use the pure male to pollinate the now lonely Red Hair that is flowering.

I'm disappointed that I will have nothing from the Jamaican stock to test. On the bright side, as I was chopping the hermi down and the male back, the aroma coming off those plants is dankly dank! Not at all in a acrid way, but powerfully lemon and sour fruity, incense, and some kind of medicinal smell that is attractive yet nauseating at the same time. I'm going to try another next time I sprout seeds. I'm definitely keeping the pure looking male, but I have not decided about the lanky male with the few pistils. I may wait till I see about the gender of the next plant. If I get another pure looking male, I'll probably cull it.

...reason for celebration is that I've heard it reported that males are relatively hard to find, as is often the case with tropical sativas...
:laughing:

I did find that I have made a mistake. My light cycle is 11 hours 30 minutes of light per 24 hour cycle. Normally, I start at 12 hours light for the first month or two, then dial it down 30 minutes. I forgot to turn it back up the full 12 hours at the start of this flowering cycle. I'm not going to mess with it now. I'll just ride it out like this to the end.

I'm wondering if the age of the seeds affects the gender expression. I am also concerned that my vegetation cabinet light cycle my be causing these touchy tropical/subtropical Sativas to be stressed. I have no timer in my veg. cabinet. The light is on 24 hours per day. If anyone has thoughts on this situation, I'd sure like to hear it. Keep in mind that I grow tropical and Indica x Sativa crosses, so I think it needs to be at least 16 hours per 24 hour period to prevent the early flowering strains from going into flowering prematurely.

I'm having fun, and I hope everyone else is!

I'm still having fun, but no more mania at the moment.

Looking towards the future, I have two seedlings sprouted. One is a Thai dominant strain, and the other is Oaxacan. The future is still looking bright!

Oaxacan:
picture.php

Mostly Thai:
picture.php

Both:
picture.php

ThaiBliss

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looking at Raco's Mono Rojo bud, I can't help but remember an Oaxacan-leaning pheno of Nirvana's Royal Flush that was the most euphoric bud I've grown and smoked. Grown at 44ºN, cured for half a year, don't the structure and cured color look similar?

View Image

Wahaka? :chin: :biglaugh: :tiphat:

Mono Rojo (Red Monkey) is my own Moño Rojo n+5 x Monkey Haze -F1 LOL

Red Monkey x Red Snake -F2 on target ;)

Moño Rojo n+5

bushweed

Veteran
Mostly Thai:
picture.php

Hope you've got some high ceilings bro...
picture.php

:moon:

hehe, no they can be kept at civilized levels...
picture.php

Be interesting to see how the vigor compares with the Oaxacan...

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Gadzooks Bushweed! I've always said that Thai plants looks like bamboo. You are proving that it looks like BIG bamboo.
:tiphat:

You may want to avert your eyes, to avoid seeing what I'm going to have to do to attempt to get this to flower inside my little grow cabinet.
:yoinks:
Sorry brother, I know it is just not right, but what can I do when I love the Thai high?

Once I confirm that I can get this Thai to express a resemblance of the Thai quality and/or potency, then I plan on crossing it to something that is earlier and easier to manage, perhaps Bangi Haze and/or a few others I have in mind, if I can find them again. I have grown a pure Thai indoors in the past, with success. However, as you know, Thai is a broad category of strains. I hope I can repeat with this particular strain. If not, I hope to keep finding and trying others.

In my very limited experience, from what I think was a Oaxacan leaning Haze individual, Oaxacan is extremely slow growing as a seedling, then turns normal as it approaches maturity. My current known Oaxacan seedling sprouted several days before the mostly Thai seedling, and already the Thai has overtaken the Oaxacan in size. It is taller, and it's leaves are much longer in length. Interestingly, I believe the Oaxacan leaning Haze individual I once grew was the most challenging plant I ever grew, but it also was the best. In case anyone is not aware, Haze has both Thai and Mexican, I believe Oaxacan, in its lineage. The one I grew had a high distinctly Thai-like, but also more euphoric and trippy than the Thai Stick I smoked long, long ago. I have been on a quest (search) ever since.

ThaiBliss

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

I have a preliminary smoke report on the Nanan-Bouclou cutting I have. I smoked 3 hits of an early sample I took from the plant a week before the main harvest. At first I felt almost nothing. I never really felt stoned, and barely felt high. However, it did have a slightly disorienting effect on me that peaked about 30 minutes after toking and lasted for a very long time.

I was working in my shop when I peaked. I was looking down for a while on one of my two temporary workbenches. Somehow I got it in my mind that I was at the workbench on the south side of my shop, but when I looked up after concentrating for a while on what I was doing, I was at the opposite end of the shop. While reorienting, I felt dizzy for a moment. It was really strange.

The constant mild disorienting effect lasted almost 6 hours. The last time I felt such a delayed reaction and long lasting effect was when I bought 3 packs, 10 seeds each, of Haze from three different companies. My first samples were mildly potent also. Since most of the best weed I ever smoked had delayed reactions and long lasting effects, I stuck with it and looked through all 30 seeds, and I finally found what I was looking for, a killer potent individual.

I also set aside a branch that I harvested 2 weeks later than the first branch. It will be interesting to see if that sample is significantly more potent. Even if it is not, I now have two strains that are worth trying more individuals of, Zamaldelica as well as Nanan-Bouclou. Zamaldelica also had some spooky effects, though more familiar. The first Zamaldelica I tried had a strong introspective aspect to it. It never moved on to an "up" phase to the high like Thai Stick used to do, and made it me tired. Others have reported that there are Zamaldelica individuals that are very stimulating, so I'll try at least a few more individuals.

All I can do is keep searching. The quest has been interesting. It is amazing how one species of plant can have such vastly different effects depending on strain, growing conditions, and harvest timing.

ThaiBliss

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Happy Mother's Day!

Here is one of the mothers that I know. It is the Destroyer (Mex. Red Hair leaning) x Fire Fox Tail pregnant with pollen from the clearly male Jamaican Ganja ('60s LB):

picture.php

This mother plant has the flowering cabinet all to itself now that I have chopped the Jamaican Ganja males down. This plant has always been a bit finicky, but seems happy at the moment even if it is getting a bit pale from low nitrogen. The leaves are perky looking and it stretched out a bit making the buds look normal.

picture.php

And Finally, a couple of pics to update the two new plants in the vegetation cabinet.

Gypsy Nirvana Thai x Neville's Haze x Mullumbimby Madness:
picture.php

Oaxacan:

picture.php

ThaiBliss

Infinitesimal

my strength is a number, and my soul lies in every
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey thaibliss,

nice thread, I to am on the search... and just wanted to tag for when my GN thai stick and lao pra bang pop up and can contribute

B

Bob Green

I remember Kanga saying his 2004 male was the best male picked out of seeds he pulled out of an open pollination. Also that it might of been a Sumatran/Mullum as far as his best guess, and that his Sumatran was lost to the cops in a prior bust.

Would be nice to know what all it was crossed with and what all came of the offspring?

I know Dr P grew some of the NH x 2004 sativa but I dont remember hearing much along the lines of a smoke report.