What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The search for a proper recovery pump..

Rickys bong

Veteran
Kudos and accolades to Rickys Bong for the brain fart I based my design on.

No problem bro. I'll try to waft future brain farts in your general direction... ;~)

I was going to make a diagram of the concept but yours is pretty close. I'll let ya know where to send royalties to... lol.

It only takes a few psi to overcome the valve spring pressures in a recovery pump so if you keep the tank cold or have a cooling setup between the recovery pump the gast will do most of the work and the recovery pump will only be switched on occasionally.

Peace,

RB

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No problem bro. I'll try to waft future brain farts in your general direction... ;~)

I was going to make a diagram of the concept but yours is pretty close. I'll let ya know where to send royalties to... lol.

It only takes a few psi to overcome the valve spring pressures in a recovery pump so if you keep the tank cold or have a cooling setup between the recovery pump the gast will do most of the work and the recovery pump will only be switched on occasionally.

Peace,

RB

Yeah, I picked up a deep stainless crab boiling pot, and will put a bulkhead fitting in the bottom and wind 20' of 1/2" stainless tubing around a smaller mandrel and install it in the pot through a compression elbow at the bottom, which is screwed into the bulkhead fitting, thus making it self draining.

I will also insulate it top and bottom and then attach the top of the coil to the Gast output. The the bottom of the coil goes to the 100# recovery tank port. I will then fill the pot with coolant to lower the butane output temperature from it's current 140F, to below 31F.

As that range passes through a transformation, the latent heat of vaporization has to be rejected as well, soooo besides ice and brine, we will try denatured alcohol and dry ice.

As we now have liquid nitrogen to experiment with, we have started scheming along those lines as well. Ostensibly a much smaller heat exchanger would work. We will start with something that will conveniently fit inside our Dewar.

Not suitable for larger scale operations, but easy to scale up...........

SneakySneaky

Veteran
Been running them for months, 12 hrs a day, 3-5 days a week. I stopped doing multiple floods and switched to single pass in order to prolong the life of the pumps so this may have something to do with it. What issues did these two have?

I understand not wanting to lead people down the wrong path.... is this dewaxing filter setup super dangerous?

Keep up the good progress bro! any pics of the new recovery setup?

the issues they had was the gaskets didnt last very long. my friend made me laugh by saying "took me 4 hours to fix and 1 hour to break" this could be just a slight difference in size or density of the gasket.

The dewaxing filter is a work in progress, the origional method works however there are limitations to its usefullness in other applications other than my own, just cause it works in my setup i want to make sure itll work in others so more testing is in order. but alas, there is still hope for you guys on the cheap dewaxer.

I can't share others proprietary process information, but the pump installation on this beta unit is my design, so I can share information on that.

Pieces are separated and behind things, so it isn't easy to take pictures, but here is the PID drawing.

I just hooked both Gast intake ports individually to the intake manifold, and teed the outlets together at the pressure switch.

Kudos and accolades to Rickys Bong for the brain fart I based my design on.

thanks to all the people at skunk pharm, a modge podge of ideas has been fine tuned into an amazing idea! to keep up with the speed of the gast pump we went back to the origional design of the water tub heating method. i put a small reptile waterfall water pump in the pot and 36" and 12" heating mat on the metal cooking pot sides, and set the 36" mat to about 10˚ lower than the 12" to kind of taper off the heat towards the end. this resulted in 0 ice formation as well as allowing the gast pump to truly shine with its amazing speed.

so i recently made a purchase im waiting for to arrive. i tend to spend a lot of time in front of the machine and stress and shenanigans sometimes get the best of me. in order to relieve any potential grumpys ive decided to spread some cheer to the room and you guys can totally jump on this band wagon.

picture.php

SneakySneaky

Veteran
So the gast is working well?

working so well that we had to redesign the spool heaters to keep up :) they make a smaller single head pump that i believe is gonna turn the mk3's from a small rocket ship to a warp speed milennium falcon able to make the kessel run in under 12 parsecs. the pump has its drawbacks its a little bit finacky to learn at first but its like a manual car, once u learn its simple but the learning curve is frustrating.
:tiphat:

Lono

so i recently made a purchase im waiting for to arrive. i tend to spend a lot of time in front of the machine and stress and shenanigans sometimes get the best of me. in order to relieve any potential grumpys ive decided to spread some cheer to the room and you guys can totally jump on this band wagon.

View Image

I love it! Stealing asap.

SneakySneaky

Veteran
I love it! Stealing asap.

yellow spray paint, black, and white paint will do wonders sometimes.... im artistically impared so i ordered decals from etsy so for any of you that have no artistic ability like myself i suggest .................................................. .................................................. :laughing:

Sextracts

@HST been running my diablo for months its great, much quieter in comparison to the G5, and from what I here you can easily replace the stock seals with Viton or ptfe

heres a quick one, i was just at the pharm last week and specialized formulations had their CP-to-recovery pump line running through a coil in a heated water bath? ostensibly to vaporize the butane prior to entry to the pump. i thought this was a no no?

also SNEAKY SNEAKY!!! since we are both MK5 owners i would love to get together with you and chat you up on some specifics of your system, i cant quite tell but it seems you have it assembled very close to how i would like mine. no fucking idea how to private message on this website, so if you reply to this ill just post my phone idgaf on this forum no one is enough of a troll HAHAHA. id love to trade you lunch for some tips hit me up please and thank you

Lono

also SNEAKY SNEAKY!!! since we are both MK5 owners i would love to get together with you and chat you up on some specifics of your system, i cant quite tell but it seems you have it assembled very close to how i would like mine. no fucking idea how to private message on this website, so if you reply to this ill just post my phone idgaf on this forum no one is enough of a troll HAHAHA. id love to trade you lunch for some tips hit me up please and thank you

50 posts to pm, 35 to go :)

IIRC, against the TOU to post personal contact info:eek:

50 posts to pm, 35 to go :)

IIRC, against the TOU to post personal contact info:eek:

ugh, i really DGAF im here to absorb enough info to get my terp running and my knowledge base far enough along to start accelerating the design of these systems i already have a ton of ideas that are bottlenecked by my comfortability with a pressurized system so, yeah

Lono

ugh, i really DGAF im here to absorb enough info to get my terp running and my knowledge base far enough along to start accelerating the design of these systems i already have a ton of ideas that are bottlenecked by my comfortability with a pressurized system so, yeah

Sorry you feel that way! Unfortunately if you want stick around, you have to follow the TOU.

Just lookin' out for you bro, no skin off my back if you chose to do otherwise! These mods do their job though and they do it well, so I wouldn't expect to get away with much.

Lono

well, if i have to start a thread and respond to it 33 more times so be it

That's called turbo-posting I believe:biggrin:

Sorry bro, patience is a virtue! You seem to be a knowledgeable dude, I'm sure you could add something of value to some existing threads. What is your background in?

I could be wrong about the phone number thing btw, I would definitely suggest reading the TOU. Doesn't take long. It's worth it.

Sorry bro, patience is a virtue! You seem to be a knowledgeable dude, I'm sure you could add something of value to some existing threads. What is your background in?

I guess im an incredibly avid amateur biochemist, ive just loved making oil for like 10 years and never thought making it would take me where it has today