What's new

The search for a proper recovery pump..

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
After being disappointed by the speed of the cmepol I am going to pull the trigger on a haskel, are these pumps compatible w high propane mixes?

Yes. From memory, they will tolerate up to about 1145 psi.

LabDog

Well just ran 60 lbs of butane through the Bhogart dual diaphragm going into the water bath for my 12" 5lb Bhogart system, running through a mt69 to use as a heat source for the water and then going into 50 foot ss coil in ice and then into tanks in a freezer which keeps the pressures around 30+ but rarely much over 35. Also using a small yellow jacket pump going directly into a different tank to use for pressure since I have to push around -30 solvent.

Long & short, 60 lbs in 2 hours with the little pump doing about 7 lbs per hour and the dual diaphragm doing 22+ per hour and much quieter than any of the smaller pumps; barely 60 db @ 3 feet verses 72 db for the yellow jacket which is quieter than the G5.

It would do better with larger tank to off gas with.

Concentrated_

Why should you not elevate the cmepol I've heard other wise. I have 3 all bought from you guys and was never told any of this, also what are your correct pump operating instructions you give.

jswick93

Why should you not elevate the cmepol I've heard other wise. I have 3 all bought from you guys and was never told any of this, also what are your correct pump operating instructions you give.

Which post are you questioning? I have heard that you should elevate the cmep-ol, and ideally higher than your condensing coil which is higher than your recovery tank. That way its as easy on the pump as possible.

Concentrated_

It's back several pages in this thread, he say to and to not elevated your pumps. I have mine above the heat exchangers and tank so everything flows down for the least amount of resistance. Currently using cmepols since there's not really a better alternative for a min pneumatic pump in there price range, I will say that I have gotten alot allot of use out of the 3 pumps up until the last couple weeks when bearings on 2 of them and one had head valves that went out. Sent 2 in to xtractor depot for rebuilds and and my partner and I are rebuilding the third out selves so we can do in house maintenance in the future.

thcnology

Master Vapor Pumps

Master Vapor Pumps

I just saw these guys on Instagram and took a screenshot..anybody here know anything about them or seen any demos? Got a price? Messaged them waiting to hear something back. Concept kinda reminds me of the VaporHawg...? I was just about ready to spend around 15 grand on a new Haskel and compressor but if this works as stated it may be just as good...and Idk I may reconsider...anybody have any input or insight?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170805-153904.jpg
    Screenshot_20170805-153904.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 88

Rickys bong

Veteran
Thcnology: look at the specs carefully. 60psi maximum operating output is pretty pathetic.

This is a diaphragm pump. Not like the vaporhawg at all.
Not very useful without massive cooling of the outlet stream.

RB.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just saw these guys on Instagram and took a screenshot..anybody here know anything about them or seen any demos? Got a price? Messaged them waiting to hear something back. Concept kinda reminds me of the VaporHawg...? I was just about ready to spend around 15 grand on a new Haskel and compressor but if this works as stated it may be just as good...and Idk I may reconsider...anybody have any input or insight?

We've used Gast diaphragm pumps in this application and just finished testing a Fusbros unit rated at 100 psi. As RB notes, 60 psi is low compared to most piston refrigerant recovery pumps, and not in the same room with a 1145 psi capable Haskel.

60 psi is actually plenty for Butane and light Propane mixes, as long as the temperatures are kept low, and the recovery rate on the Gast, Fusbros, and Haskel were almost identical on a 12" pot at 85F, because the surface area and temperature are the limitations at that vacuum level.

If the Haskel loses a piston seal, there are provisions to capture and redirect the escaped gas, but not on either of the diaphragm pumps we've tested.

I stopped using the Gast, because if the diaphragm ruptured, and they sometimes do, there were no provisions to contain the leak and the motor wasn't NEMA 7 explosion proof.

The Fusbros unit doesn't contain ruptured diaphragm leaks, but is NEMA 7 so as to not ignite it, which I consider to be a minimum feature.

I was unable to find that data on the pump you propose and the MVP6 Master Vapor pump appears to be a rotary vane vacuum pump. Do you have the cut sheets? https://www.ws-vacuumpump.com/product/two-stage-oil-rotary-vane-pump/mvp-small-series/

HG23

I have called and talked with Richard at Master Vapor.

Their pump is indeed a diaphragm type driven by a NEMA 7 electric motor. It uses CO2 for backing pressure.

They are working on a 150PSI model for higher propane mixes that is still in development for several months.

One thing that I found especially interesting is the fact that the internals of the pump are all FDA approved. Richard thought the wear and dust created by friction in a reciprocating type pump would not pass muster once someone analyses the cleanliness of our process.

Before I saw Master Vapor, I was thinking about buying a Blackmer, however, even though I'm familiar with their design I worry about lubrication oil leaking through into the gas stream. What do you think RB? I know you guys own a couple Blackmers at this point.

Graywolf, one thing I have been wondering about is the max output of these pumps in relation to the level of vapor pressure assist I use. Sometimes my vapor pressure tank will have 100+ PSI when I'm trying to push cold solvent around. It's during those times I'm most concerned about exceeding the output pressure limits of pumps like this.

thcnology

I was sent a reply by IG acct mastorvaporpump on price...12grand starting to ship next week. I asked for links to demo vids or proofs of concept.. he referred me to IG acct hungrymonkeycompany there was few pics on there no vids..but seems like a poor way to get me spend 12grand on something.

RB..I've asked how much heat this produces and what kind of cooling may be required...nothing yet

GW..My original post had a thumbnail pic attached of specs or "factoids"...thats really all I have. I can blow it up a lil bit and repost

HG23..If you've talked to this guy before maybe call him again and tell him we want some real info over here..maybe he'd care to join and chime in?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170806-103325.jpg
    Screenshot_20170806-103325.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Screenshot_20170806-103347.jpg
    Screenshot_20170806-103347.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 95

thcnology

Couple more Screenshots...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170806-100134.jpg
    Screenshot_20170806-100134.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Screenshot_20170806-100210.jpg
    Screenshot_20170806-100210.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 96

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have called and talked with Richard at Master Vapor.

Their pump is indeed a diaphragm type driven by a NEMA 7 electric motor. It uses CO2 for backing pressure.

They are working on a 150PSI model for higher propane mixes that is still in development for several months.

One thing that I found especially interesting is the fact that the internals of the pump are all FDA approved. Richard thought the wear and dust created by friction in a reciprocating type pump would not pass muster once someone analyses the cleanliness of our process.

Before I saw Master Vapor, I was thinking about buying a Blackmer, however, even though I'm familiar with their design I worry about lubrication oil leaking through into the gas stream. What do you think RB? I know you guys own a couple Blackmers at this point.

Graywolf, one thing I have been wondering about is the max output of these pumps in relation to the level of vapor pressure assist I use. Sometimes my vapor pressure tank will have 100+ PSI when I'm trying to push cold solvent around. It's during those times I'm most concerned about exceeding the output pressure limits of pumps like this.

Not a good choice for 100 psi + operations, especially if you are pulling a vacuum on the other side of the pump. They typically just stall out and trip the thermal when overloaded.

If the only time you run at high pressure is injection, and you are using pressure boost, more heat exchanger might help.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here is the Fubros diaphragm pump we just finished testing. The pump is NEMA 7, though the temporary wiring is not. Alas, my larger tanks were not available to us, so we ran on a single 12" pot, which ended up being the limiting factor.

Attachments

• IMG_20170721_161730685_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170721_161730685_HDR.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 90

HG23

I'm looking for some feedback on Blackmer pumps. I think I am going to order one of their smaller units.

I have heard pretty good things about them through people on IG, but would be interested in any opinions available here.

One of the biggest selling points for me was that they are low noise so I can more closely monitor my process and be more comfortable while working.

One thing I am curious about is that there appears to be some sort of breather tube that looks like it connects from the oil-less crankcase to the intake of the pump. I just want to be sure the breather is just to equalize pressure in the oil-less section and it's not actually a breather for the oiled crankcase in which case it would suck oil fumes into the gas stream. I am planning to ask the salesman about this but thought I would throw the question out here too.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm looking for some feedback on Blackmer pumps. I think I am going to order one of their smaller units.

I have heard pretty good things about them through people on IG, but would be interested in any opinions available here.

One of the biggest selling points for me was that they are low noise so I can more closely monitor my process and be more comfortable while working.

One thing I am curious about is that there appears to be some sort of breather tube that looks like it connects from the oil-less crankcase to the intake of the pump. I just want to be sure the breather is just to equalize pressure in the oil-less section and it's not actually a breather for the oiled crankcase in which case it would suck oil fumes into the gas stream. I am planning to ask the salesman about this but thought I would throw the question out here too.

That sounds like a gas ballast. It sucks any fumes out of the crank case that leak by the piston rings. The bearings are most likely sealed.

Does that tube have a valve on it?

Rickys bong

Veteran
I'm looking for some feedback on Blackmer pumps. ...

The crankcase on the Blackmer or Corken vertical compressors is pressure lubricated with an oil pump.
The oil-less pistons are isolated from the crankcase by one or more isolation chambers and multiple seals.

Some of them vent the crankcase into the lower isolation chamber where its either vented to atmosphere or flushed with purge gas.

queequeg152

Veteran
wait, what pump is that in the picture?

looks exactly like the gas chlorine pumps we used to spec for very large treatment plants... forget the company, but corken sounds very familiar.

Rickys bong

Veteran
The pic is a cross section of a Corken pump although the Blackmer is nearly identical in design.

The same pump design is used for a wide range of hazardous gases.

RB

queequeg152

Veteran
these are very very cool pumps... used to "push pull" liquid chlorine from tanker trucks or railroad cars into site storage vessles.

nowadays they like to use massive multi ton cylinders... they have overhead gantries in the chlorination building that take them off the back of a truck.

idk what happened but pumping chlorine fell out of favor for smaller mgd plants i think only the largest plants that have railroad access do this still.

very cool stuff gentleman. id love to see a setup using a similar pump... must be an insane operation.