What's new

The search for a proper recovery pump..

TNEx

Anyone use a inficon vortex pump? I'm looking for a good replacement of my trs-21 pump. I'm sick of rebuilding it all the time. What's are some good affordable options?

I was looking at that pump as well, but ended up going with the CPS TR600 2 weeks ago. It broke after 2 runs and I'm already on my second one :/ My previous pump was the Robinair RG6 and it worked well and lasted almost a full year before any problems. It's pretty inexpensive too , $600 off Amazon with a 1 year warranty.

I was looking at that pump as well, but ended up going with the CPS TR600 2 weeks ago. It broke after 2 runs and I'm already on my second one :/ My previous pump was the Robinair RG6 and it worked well and lasted almost a full year before any problems. It's pretty inexpensive too , $600 off Amazon with a 1 year warranty.

why are you staying away from appion? any specific reason? i gone through 3 cm-ep pumps those were junk! worst pump ever they kept leaking oil into my product and other various problems. i can say there customer service was excelent. they sent me 2 new pumps for free after mine kept breaking.

also burned through 3 CPS tr-21 pumps. i had to replace the pistons every few times i used them but besides that they were great and fast. i had a T hooked up to my collection pot and had 2 going at a time. we figured we recovered 1 LB every 5 mins

im thinking ill go back to an appion. my buddy has had one for 2 years with no issues.

why has no one tried the inficon vortex? it looks like a good pump and it says any class 3,4 or 5 gas. does anyone know what class r-600 is? i emailed them to ask about it so well see what they come back with

TNEx

why has no one tried the inficon vortex? it looks like a good pump and it says any class 3,4 or 5 gas. does anyone know what class r-600 is? i emailed them to ask about it so well see what they come back with
I believe the inficon vortex is a relatively new pump if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps that is why nobody is talking about it . Its got a 1 hp motor in it and is fairly inexpensive . I say give it a shot and report back on its performance and overall gusto!

Gtir

So while doing some research on pump options , I came across the new Pro Set CPS pump called the TR600 and no one is really talking about it . It is ignition proof , rated for R290, R600 ,R601, and is a very reasonable price tag. (for those who aren't quite up to the financial level required to level up to a haskel or one of these new beastmode vaporhawgs)

Thoughts ???

http://www.centurytool.net/TRS600_CPS_2_Cylinder_Commercial_Refrigerant_Recov_p/cpstrs600.htm

Did you ever try the trs600? I have a graveyard of broken pumps... what is the best solution!! 😭

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
WolfWurx, Inc standardized on the Haskel EXT-420 pneumatic, protected by our own cyclonic filter/drier design. Using it, inconjunction with a Vaccon vortex high vacuum pump, we met NEMA 7, Class I, Div I electrical certification requirements and it is as close to bullet proof a pump as you will find, if you feed it clean air, don't run it harder than 50 psi inlet air pressure, or faster than one cycle per second. You also have to periodically lubricate the air shuttle valve.

None of the pumps tolerate shots of gooey liquid well, hence the cyclonic pre-filter.

Based on the condition of the shuttle valve seat when Dave from Haskel rebuilt it, we had one customer over pressure and over speed it, which does beat and eventually deform the shuttle valve seat, and have had multiple reports of a pump being saved by the cyclonic drier.

As a bonus, not only does Haskel have the product to beat, but they actually covet our business enough to work with us to develop one specifically for our purpose, allowed Skunk Pharm Research to record and post a complete factory rebuild sequence by their factory rep on Visio, and for their factory representative to provide hands on advice on IC Mag forum.

Not only a strong product, but strong product support in the field, which is worth its weight in gold at times.

Last edited:

queequeg152

Veteran
Did you ever try the trs600? I have a graveyard of broken pumps... what is the best solution!! 😭

graveyard of broken recovery pumps?

sorry i have not followed this thread start to end... but are you trying to pump liquid refrigerant or something?

most recovery pumps should last like 1000 hours with moderate care.

gumby420

i burned through my first trs after a few months of working every day. i just got a cmep. for those saying youve had issues with stuff leaking into your oil..is it visible or is it something youre tasting?

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i burned through my first trs after a few months of working every day. i just got a cmep. for those saying youve had issues with stuff leaking into your oil..is it visible or is it something youre tasting?

Do you have a CM EP, or a CM EP OL?

Gtir

I'm gonna keep being this guy buuuut....
No pump..

Please elaborate, I would love to use just heat and cold to move things but I'm not really sure how to cool my solvent take appropriately, I have a small dewar w a dip tube on the way...

Gtir

WolfWurx, Inc standardized on the Haskel EXT-420 pneumatic, protected by our own cyclonic filter/drier design. Using it, inconjunction with a Vaccon vortex high vacuum pump, we met NEMA 7, Class I, Div I electrical certification requirements and it is as close to bullet proof a pump as you will find, if you feed it clean air, don't run it harder than 50 psi inlet air pressure, or faster than one cycle per second. You also have to periodically lubricate the air shuttle valve.

None of the pumps tolerate shots of gooey liquid well, hence the cyclonic pre-filter.

Based on the condition of the shuttle valve seat when Dave from Haskel rebuilt it, we had one customer over pressure and over speed it, which does beat and eventually deform the shuttle valve seat, and have had multiple reports of a pump being saved by the cyclonic drier.

As a bonus, not only does Haskel have the product to beat, but they actually covet our business enough to work with us to develop one specifically for our purpose, allowed Skunk Pharm Research to record and post a complete factory rebuild sequence by their factory rep on Visio, and for their factory representative to provide hands on advice on IC Mag forum.

Not only a strong product, but strong product support in the field, which is worth its weight in gold at times.

Do the Haskell produce a lot of heat compared to a tr21?

queequeg152

Veteran
not to cut off grey wolf... but anything compressing gasses will produce an appreciable amount of heat.
however the haskel will be expanding alot of compressed air to do the work of compressing the butane or what ever refrigerant. i would think the haskel would run much colder... if not below ambient.

you could always intall an after cooler on the compressor i guess... but i doubt it would ever be necessary.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sorry i thought all they made were the CM EP OL's now. i got the CM EP OL

The oil from the OL comes from leaching from the bearings, and it would typically be slow enough to show up as a wrecked bearing as opposed to contaminated product.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do the Haskell produce a lot of heat compared to a tr21?

Way less, because of its bigger bore and slow cycle speed! Maybe 60% as hot on average.

You have the heat of compression with both systems, but the pumps themselves get hot and transfer heat. The temperature of both change with flow, because it helps carry away that heat.

The TR-21 runs extremely hot, especially once it starts under vacuum. Hot enough to fry eggs and burn skin.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey GW who sells the wolfwurx cyclonic? Do you guys use a molecular sieve at all or just the cyclone filter? Thank you!

Sadly no one sells them at the moment. The WolfWurx designs are owned by Pharmgold, whom closed their doors.

Some folks like Norpene are building their own, so I suggest you ask around.

We used just the cyclone filter. I don't love mol sieve as much after working with the mess and dust for awhile.

TerpChild

Awesome thank you GW! Hopefully someone buys pharmgold's intellectual property and makes the vaporhawg again too, that thing is bad ass.

Gtir

Way less, because of its bigger bore and slow cycle speed! Maybe 60% as hot on average.

You have the heat of compression with both systems, but the pumps themselves get hot and transfer heat. The temperature of both change with flow, because it helps carry away that heat.

The TR-21 runs extremely hot, especially once it starts under vacuum. Hot enough to fry eggs and burn skin.

After being disappointed by the speed of the cmepol I am going to pull the trigger on a haskel, are these pumps compatible w high propane mixes?