What's new

The search for a proper recovery pump..

Rickys bong

Veteran
I'd be careful of buying a big screw comp from auctions. Unless you know its history. If its fairly new maybe but 95% of big compressors go into large facilities where they run 24/7. If it's at an auction it's possibly near the end of its life and rebuilding one won't be cheap. If you can see and hear it run, maybe. Otherwise it has to be cheap.

Plus, always remember the 15 to 20% buyers rip and rigging / transport costs. Some auctions force you to use insured riggers etc.
A $1k good deal can sometimes be $3500 to get it home where you wire it in and it spews oil everywhere... (I have a little experience with big industrial shit)

Operational costs are not insignificant either, $3 to $5 per hour for electricity alone.

RB

G.O. Joe

Veteran
The bad news is that it is around $4100

Wouldn't mention this if I lived within 300 miles of SF - psst an older but cared for Welch in the bay area will sell next week on a smaller auction site for much less. Duoseals cost that much new because they're expected to provide micron house vacuum for decades - which the older models still do.

piper434

Quick Appion Modification Question

Quick Appion Modification Question

HI, all, thoroughly enjoy all the informed discussions here. Got a question I'd love some feedback on.

A while back, the fan clutch went out on the G5, so I strapped an 8 inch vortex fan to the back of the pump, and just run it constantly while working. The folks at appion approved it as a short term solution, but recommended I fix the fan as soon as I could. I have used it like this for many many runs, with no problem at all. I'm wondering: Is there any need to fix the fan ,seems like I get far more air movement with this fan, and, does it perhaps add a measure of safety, since it is always on, if there were to be any leaks inside the pump, the gas would be be blown away from the pump switch, therefor mitigating the explosion potential?

Thanks for any opinions....

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Wouldn't mention this if I lived within 300 miles of SF - psst an older but cared for Welch in the bay area will sell next week on a smaller auction site for much less. Duoseals cost that much new because they're expected to provide micron house vacuum for decades - which the older models still do.

And where is this? :biggrin:

Permacultuure

Veteran
so stoked about the new shop! gonna be moving my machiens into the new warehouse with another member of skunk pharm....and wouldnt luck have it that theres already a dedicated 150 amp breaker for the preinstalled air compressor that can run 4-6 haskels at a time full power.....

I've found that each of my 70 amp three phase breakers could only run a 15hp compressor a piece. How many hp is the compressor if its only ran off 150amps. Sounds like it would need to be 50-60hp to run that many haskels....I can't fit that on my two three phase panels.

Congrats on the new location!! Industrial life is nice, pneumatic life looks even better.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've found that each of my 70 amp three phase breakers could only run a 15hp compressor a piece. How many hp is the compressor if its only ran off 150amps. Sounds like it would need to be 50-60hp to run that many haskels....I can't fit that on my two three phase panels.

Congrats on the new location!! Industrial life is nice, pneumatic life looks even better.

Depends on the voltage. 150 amps three phase at 230 VAC is about 60 hp, but at 460 VAC 150 amps is about twice that and wire size requirements are smaller.

flatslabs

I'm confused. If it's not rated for r600 then are you using it with a different solvent? Or you just don't care?

I suggest you go back and re-read this whole thread if you don't understand the available options.

pusbag

on fence for next pump

on fence for next pump

Since I know haskel is considering addressing our industry not wanting to make any big purchases until a pump is built exactly for us. On the fence over a cps tr21 or a promax rg6 feedback gladly accepted.

flatslabs

I was in the same situation a few weeks ago. For me it came down to the difference price and not wanting to deal with a separate heat exchanger coil.

pusbag

already got coils built so not part of the equation for me. I do like the purge feature on the promax but i can also deal with out that feature on the cps tr21 so on the fence i sit. just wish the new haskel was out already.

flatslabs

If you already have a coil built, I guess it would come down to recovery rates, pricing, and safety.

1) Both the RG6000 and RG6 win on price.

2) I don't know if you can directly compare the recovery rates due to the higher temperature of the TR-21, but it seems fairly similar to the RG6. CPS comparison chart vs the RG6000 on their site I am not sure is correct as it lists the RG6000 as a single cylinder design, which it is not.

Dab Strudel

I ruined my rg6000 before I could get a good use out off it so I can't give any performance feedback till I crack it open and make it recover at a decent speed again..what fun that will be

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's not, I got one in the mail a week ago, used it a few times so far.

Its the replacement for the RG6000. Same casing, different color, a little faster specs listed on the site.

Good to have more choices for stuff that the manufacturer won't stand behind in our application, though yet another working on the same principle doesn't address our overall problem regarding fire marshal approval.

Though WolfWurx installs only Haskel pumps at this juncture, I personally own a couple Appions. One relatively new one, and one my several years old original and returned to me from the SPR cancer program requiring a rebuild. I can't tell you how many times they did rebuild it, but have no complaints about the service it provided, given the abuse it received.

For personal use, I still run my original Mk III, and don't have to do so often, so I too am in holding pattern there with regard to a final personal use solution.

On the other hand, while the fab shop has adequate air, final logic testing of WW's automated Mk IV's and V's, is done at the lair, where we only have enough compressor to operate the pneumatic valves and air logic, so we have been running those tests using one or more electric pumps.

We've run Appion's, Promaxes, CPS TR-21 and they all work, better if you don't run them dry. Now that we've developed some killer heat exchangers of our own, if I had to grab another pump fast, it would probably be a TR-21.

I am currently testing a Chinese non-oil less CM-EP, in conjunction with subsequent filtration, to see how clean we can get its exhaust.

We are also running hemp oil in it as the lubricant to test its suitability for that application.

It is faster than the three units above, about as noisy as a loud refrigerator, has it's own heat exchanger, and is rated for R-600, so if we can clean the butane it exhausts, it may be a solution.

We also have promise of an oil less Chinese unit rated for R-600 soon for testing, so wait with bait on mah breath.

Lots of stuff on the horizon, but no great panacea as of yet, that I've seen.

Chonkski

I ruined my rg6000 before I could get a good use out off it so I can't give any performance feedback till I crack it open and make it recover at a decent speed again..what fun that will be

I still have a broken rg6000 as well due to some "beginner mistakes"

I have yet to find the time for repairing the model..