What's new

The Real History Of Northern Lights, Written By The Guys Who Did It

Dime

I don't know about what's true but it seems to me NL went from a smelly herb with a nice fun effect to a narcotic with no smell and massive yield ,sort of like sk#1 went from a stinky potent long lasting headrush to a perfume aroma with meh effects. Too many cooks in the kitchen fucked them both up.

CharlesU Farley

I wanted to save the best post for last but I've got one more NL specific post from Nevil. I don't think there could be more clear, succinct description of the _entire_ NL line.

And thank God this link is still available, so you can actually read it right now, in real time and it's in the context of an answer to a question. Classic Socratic method of teaching/learning.

Shantibaba is the _man_... egos and associated braggadocious bullshit are _not_ more important than the plant! In this post, Nevil was _humble_.

Emphasis added by _me_ for the reading impaired/impatient.

Nevil
Breeder
Sep 21, 2010
Add bookmark
Ok.. so it sounds like on purchase all the nl lines were actually different seedlots of the NL family... not cuts.

That's right OS. I did go to the States later and pick up the original U.S. NL5 mother and it was as it was described to me, part Thai. But _my_ NL5 didn't seem to have _any_ Thai influence. I spent a lot of time analysing the NL lines, in particular NL5.

I only saw evidence of _two_ indica male lines in the NL series and that was NL1 and NL2. My best bet was that NL5 was a combination of NL1 _male_ line and US NL5 _female_. I guessed that US5 was 50% NL2. Northern Lights 2x5 was the best that I could do staying within the line (pure NL).

Northern Lights changed the face of cannabis genetics (and many a smoker), but it was mostly through NL5. You've got to marvel at fate for dropping that one extreme _plant_ into the lap of a budding seed breeder.

N.

I first read that post over 6 years ago, after I reverse engineered Northern lights, became so interested in it and wanted to know the history of the varietal. Reading this and Archivist response to JeSSe told me all I needed to know about the history of Northern Lights.:

Northern Lights numbers don't mean shit, except that whoever's hawking specific numbers of Northern Lights are full of it.

Sensi's Northern Lights is the _only_ genetically pure version of Northern Lights that is currently available and, imnsho because I've _worked_ it for 24 years, is the best version that Nevil felt he ever produced.

And that's good enough for me.

So all you Northern Lights "number freaks" , have at it. As much as I care about Northern Lights, I don't give a shit about what y'all think.

I'll end this post with a portion of a previous post I did on NL #5:

Personally, I'm still waiting for Northern Lights 3.141593. It was sourced by an American Native, from an ancient Indian burial ground casket (or was it a freezer?), that contained seeds from the very _first_ cannabis plant God created, who gave the seeds to NL Seattle Greg, who mixed 'em with Thai pollen from Herbie, then Nevil took those embryos and incubated them in an agar solution, cloned them, and sold them to Arjan, who is now marketing them for $1000 USD per seed.

I hear it smells just like pie!

Last edited:

CharlesU Farley

Tom Hill told me years ago that the NL was safe and secure in his neighborhood :)
Your fellow moderator Donald Mallard is all over the discussions with Neville, Tom and Hempy in the threads I've been looking at on Mr Nice. I can certainly see why he's a mod, because of his moderating influence on waring factions. :)

What is clearly and blatantly obvious is that he _knows_ his shit about cannabis genetics and heredity. His story how he got interested in it is phenomenal.

Damn, Gypsies done good with you Mods, not only are you experienced forum participants but you actually know how to do something other than "grow" cannabis. Quite a bit different from the other forum I used to participate in.:ROFLMAO:

Btw, I really like your humor! (y)

But I still wonder which one of y'all will be the one to kick me out? :cool:

Last edited:

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Afghan (f) x Thai (m) F1 FWIW

picture (8).jpeg

endgegner

I have ordered 10x NL #5 fem from Shanti, but I don't have any idea if it is close to the original. But since it is fem. I can only be an R1 at best. But for 25 Euros, why not.

CharlesU Farley

Rarely do I say this, but Nevil's post you're going to read below, I couldn't have said it better myself. Had to put this in here now, before I forget. Which is the other main point of this whole fucking thread.

Old people have memory issues and remembering shit that happened 35 plus years ago in such intimate detail is simply not possible. Take it from one who never possessed a photographic memory, but it was certainly _extraordinary_. Guess what?

It fucking ain't now!

Which I think is at the heart of the problem with NL Seattle Greg. Think of the environment that he was growing in, especially after the OGM busts. If you weren't there back in the day you don't understand the absolute paranoia about getting arrested, and put in prison for literally _decades_. Do you think he was actually able to keep records of who gave him what seed, what number went where, and what the best combination of those numbers were?

If you actually have taken the time to read these posts, you'll understand that Nevil was in the exact position that NL Seattle Greg was, people he worked with got busted and he was being _hunted_. In fact Nevil's situation was worse, because he was actually _busted_ and had to spend mountains and mountains of money to lawyers, just to try to stay out of _jail_. Later on I'll post some things he has to say about Ben Dronkers, withholding payments to him while he was desperately burning through cash for lawyers, to negotiate a lower price, for his _entire_ collection of seeds.

Back to NL Seattle Greg, for fuck sake, he was just trying to find some cannabis to help him sleep because of his PTSD, he wasn't a scientific breeder. He contacted Nevil, Nevil knew he was a great cannabis developer because of the 24-in buds he sent a picture of, they met up and who knows what _exactly_ took place during that exchange, or in the next year or two for that matter.

So yeah, I'm pretty skeptical about anybody selling a specific _number_ of Northern Lights. If you actually took the time to read everything that both people said, there are more forgotten memories, mistold stories, and totally different versions of things that would actually match the OJ Simpson trial.

I am absolutely the last person to get any into any kind of fanboy, celebrity worship, pagan idolatry, whatever the fuck term you want to use because there ain't no saints in cannabis smuggling and illegal activities and there's a whole shitload of sinners.

But if you read between the lines of all the stuff that Neville and NL Seattle Greg have written, you'll understand that the development of Northern Lights was so much more than science, it was fucking _art_.

The next post will get into shit I found about Nevil's general breeding philosophies, what he's did with other varietals, etc. but for now I'll just leave you with this, and it's one of the reasons I feel like I _understand_ him.

If you've never lived in fear of being arrested, having your house taken, and put in fucking prison for decades, all for growing a _plant_, you're just not going to understand what this thread is all about.

Nevil
Breeder
Sep 21, 2010
Add bookmark

"The final question is always, Who are you and what do you stand for?"

It's a good question. It helps us to realise that we are on the same side. If you're all about growing/breeding the best that you can and putting it out there, then you're my kind of guy! There's no teams, just us and those that want to stop us.

I said what I had to say for fear of not being able to face myself if I didn't. Shit, I get stoned all the time. You never know when you conscience is going to pop up and tell you you're a chicken shit. Otherwise, I'm not looking for trouble.

I'm a man on a mission. There's a lot of guys out there with real talent. If we all put our heads together, we might just push things to a new level.

As I was thinking when I just looked into my meagre stash box,
Many heads are better than one!
N.

Last edited:

CharlesU Farley

I don't know about what's true but it seems to me NL went from a smelly herb with a nice fun effect to a narcotic with no smell and massive yield ,sort of like sk#1 went from a stinky potent long lasting headrush to a perfume aroma with meh effects. Too many cooks in the kitchen fucked them both up.
That's why there's only one cook in my kitchen. :cool:

I know I'm working with the real deal that Nevil thought was _best_ out of what Greg _created_. I separated it out to the three original, general cannabis classification varietals, and I've been having fun with those three ever since. ;)

Like your music!

eastcoastjoe

Do you guys know if some of the Afghanis going around Hawaii , that are in the genetics of NL5, had floral, earthy-mint-blueberry candy hashy smell, no pine or juniper at all? Darker green, short and bushy plant

I found only one of that type in mns ortega (nl5/nl1) out of about 75 plants

I also found a nice Swazi leaning one

I don’t think anyone in this thread can truly answer this question

CharlesU Farley

From March 1987 issue of High Times, obviously not my favorite publication, but it's factual information that can be time verified:

1000011950.jpg

So in _1987_, there are absolutely no _seeds_ available of #5. And we've already verified that what Neville accomplished with NL was based off of one, single #5 plant. Not a whole shitload of #5 plants and seeds, but _one_ single solitary fucking plant.

Every #5 that Nevil looked at after then, he _rejected_ because it wasn't as good as his _original_. It was so special, he sex reversed it with chemicals, and then did eight gens of those seeds.

And we know _exactly_ what happened to those seeds, we've seen written _proof_ from both Nevil and rimmeo.

And imagine a Northern Lights #8 that contributed just a _little_ sativa. o_O

Y'all go ahead and believe you've got a _specific_ number of Northern Lights, buy what you want, from who you want, and tell everybody you're growing the _real_ deal.

Go ahead and tell me you know the _real_ history of Northern Lights, you were buddies with Herbie, screwed NL Seattle Greg's sister, and did sacred peyote with the Indian and he revealed not only the mysteries of the universe, but the exact specific _numbering_ system that was used, how he categorized each numbered plant, saved each seed selection for _multiple_ generations over _10_ years, and was able to bring it all together and decided _you_ were the one he would tell the story to, and explained it in such a way that even _you_ could understand.

I don't give a shit.

I certainly hope it's worth 10 bucks a seed from _anybody_ other than Sensi, because they're the _only_ ones who have the actual, honest to God _genetics_ that Nevil worked with. That much should be abundantly clear after reading all of these posts.

So go ahead and tell everybody you've got whatever # you want to pull out of your ass Northern Lights. But it most certainly to the fuck is _not_ a specific number of Northern Lights.

Now here's Tom, with the weather.;)

Last edited:

phunkeeboodah

View attachment 18986316 View attachment 18986317
Is from the book about Northern Lights.
that top picture looks identical to the nl x indica cross we were growing in 1994 in sw ontario. maybe like 10 plants of that and the same of skunk #1, everything from clone that we got from the guy that the guy knows. plus a few other plants all under 1000 mh

but that nl indica reeked the whole townhouse up with coffee when it got going. the buds were big sticky balls (ayo) with good internode spacing and stuck to you and trapped you like a venus fly trap. i believe it was lavender smell of the resin(?) very sumptuous and dried real pungent but i did not get to try much because situations

Latest posts

Latest posts