What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The quest for shattery shatter

Ras Mason

Veteran
you didn t understand GW right. the Pressure , regardless of the temp (withtin a certain range) is what makes your oil bubble...
he was probably refering to your perticular situation.
Most people dont have the pump to purge at low temp in 12 hours and retain a mad amount of terpenes.
What pump are you using?
Maybe GW can chime in...?
peace

gumby420

temperature and pressure devoid the oil of it s terps. shatter is a higher temp product and most often extracted from dried material already devoid of a vast amount of terps.
peace.

i purge all my shatter below 88*, i purge all my honeycomb/crumble above 98*. how is shatter a higher temp product?

Ras Mason

Veteran
and did you test all these products to compare terpenoid contents and variations in residual hydrocarbon for the sake of comparison?

i witnessed, and was thought to purge oil (especially extremely terpenous live resiin) at a temp that i will not divulge, however, i can say that it is at but a fraction of your temps...
And beleive me, the perticular oil is praised as one of the top 3 in BC. no contest.

sorry i am not allowed to divulge certain trade teachings, but with a little effort, you can easily find out. i gave a small hint up there.
peace

Gtir

Finally someone on here using propane!

Been looking for more info on PHO without any luck. The PHO I have sampled was always bright orange in color and nearly sugar wax in consistency. Its great stuff though! Currently sampling some Blueberry Gum and Agent Orange both around 83%!

I get bright orange when using 100% propane. My best results so far have been using 50/50 butane propane and I end up with a decent color on last years outdoor trim. I think the real trick is to run as cold as possible.

Hello again everyone,

I just wanted to chime back in and thank everyone for their suggestions! I just pulled out my first run since the discussion and it is by far the shatteriest thing I have made to date! I'm smoking on it right now and it's awesome! I appreciate having a community to turn to!

nakadashi

4 possibilities:

too decarbed
too much water pick up
too high terpene content
too much residual solvent

completely on point

too decarbed means, if you want to make snap and pull shatter you need to retain THCa content and not decarboxylate to THC. THCa form is able to retain more crystalline structure or that brittle quality shatter makers want.

higher water content in your extract is almost always undesirable and will turn a product that could have been otherwise 'pull n snap' into something something goopier.

high terpene content will always make the consistency of shatter less brittle and more gooey. you can test this by mixing pure terpenes into brittle shatter and re-slabbing it, it will not retain its snap-n pull form. For this reason, most shatter that you can touch with your fingers without making a sticky mess will also not have the characteristic desirable aroma. If your shatter has wet texture not due to excessive decarboxylation, high water content, or residual solvent, then it is most likely dank head stash.

residual solvent content acts the same way as high terpene content -they will thin out the consistency of your oil. Terpenes also have properties much like "solvents" that dissolve THC so both terpenes and solvents exhibit the same properties on your shatter. The hard part is removing your solvent of choice while simultaneously not also removing too many of the desirable terps. Since the most common methods of removing solvent (controlled heat, controlled pressure) are not selective enough to exclude terpenes in the solvent removal - the secret sauce lies in removing solvents without also removing too many terps.

completely on point

too decarbed means, if you want to make snap and pull shatter you need to retain THCa content and not decarboxylate to THC. THCa form is able to retain more crystalline structure or that brittle quality shatter makers want.

higher water content in your extract is almost always undesirable and will turn a product that could have been otherwise 'pull n snap' into something something goopier.

high terpene content will always make the consistency of shatter less brittle and more gooey. you can test this by mixing pure terpenes into brittle shatter and re-slabbing it, it will not retain its snap-n pull form. For this reason, most shatter that you can touch with your fingers without making a sticky mess will also not have the characteristic desirable aroma. If your shatter has wet texture not due to excessive decarboxylation, high water content, or residual solvent, then it is most likely dank head stash.

residual solvent content acts the same way as high terpene content -they will thin out the consistency of your oil. Terpenes also have properties much like "solvents" that dissolve THC so both terpenes and solvents exhibit the same properties on your shatter. The hard part is removing your solvent of choice while simultaneously not also removing too many of the desirable terps. Since the most common methods of removing solvent (controlled heat, controlled pressure) are not selective enough to exclude terpenes in the solvent removal - the secret sauce lies in removing solvents without also removing too many terps.

Super simple stuff!

What did you do to achieve this?

The 2 things I changed..

1)left material out in open air the night before to decrease water content

2) decreased purge temp +\- 10 degrees so I am now starting purge at 84' and finishing at 87'

I just did 2 more runs with 2 different material. Both look like the will shatter and I am reAlly stoked!