What's new

the potential in south america

Thanx Budelaire! How long does yours take to finish?

Here's the surviving Ecuador beans again. There's one that's still wondering whether or not to grow, but I can clearly see some new growth in the center, so I'm pretty confident it will recover. The other two are doing okay, not great but okay. Haven't had that much sunshine here unfortunately, hence the elongated stems. Also, I discovered some nasty bugs so I treated all of my plants with a garlic spray, which of course can be pretty traumatising for such small plants. It slowed them down a bit anyway, but I think they're picking up again now.

I've had very little time to take care of the kindergarten because of work and social obligations, so it's not the best start I've had. It's showing already... Besides, I'm only wondering what the Ecuador plants will do before I pop some more seeds for an indoor grow. So with low expectations there's not much that can go wrong hehehe... Still hoping for the best of course. :bandit:

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
Nice to see you from a longtime Redrider. I hope everything is ok in the beautiful Colombia.

There they come Mad Scientist, Ecuadorian erb... :D I really wait to see what comes from there. The one at the right picture has different kind of leafshape than the others :chin: or did those other´s have rounded leaves?

Yeah good to see you back Redrider! :wave:

@Herbalistic: Nah they're not supposed to have leaves like that. It's stress. I left them in their seeding cups for too long and then they got some rain as well so the soil went wet. And repotted them in pre-fertilised soil, maybe the roots in combination with the wet soil have had a hard time climatising. It tends to be a little cold still out here too, so I think all of the mentioned flaws combined have led to some deformations in the leaves. The one in the left picture isn't perfect either, the middle one seems to have the least troubles.

Some fresher [Thai x Mex] x Banghi beans showed a more vigorous growth and faster sprouting. They had no problems with the repotting, rain, ferts, garlic spraying or cold at all and they're still going strong. Maybe the Ecuador seeds are more sensitive because they are (possibly) landrace and therefore naturally adjusted to a very specific environment. I imagine my Dutch backgarden may be a completely different game for them. Pretty confident they'll survive though, and hopefully get better as they grow older. Given the circumstances I'm doing the best I can. :D

Last edited:

Budelaire

Mad Scientist said:
Thanx Budelaire! How long does yours take to finish?

Here's the surviving Ecuador beans again. There's one that's still wondering whether or not to grow, but I can clearly see some new growth in the center, so I'm pretty confident it will recover. The other two are doing okay, not great but okay. Haven't had that much sunshine here unfortunately, hence the elongated stems. Also, I discovered some nasty bugs so I treated all of my plants with a garlic spray, which of course can be pretty traumatising for such small plants. It slowed them down a bit anyway, but I think they're picking up again now.

I've had very little time to take care of the kindergarten because of work and social obligations, so it's not the best start I've had. It's showing already... Besides, I'm only wondering what the Ecuador plants will do before I pop some more seeds for an indoor grow. So with low expectations there's not much that can go wrong hehehe... Still hoping for the best of course. :bandit:

Hi Mad S.

My cross took 10 weeks to finish, using Hydroponic methods, just like specs given by Federation seeds.

The leaf pattern on you pics looks the same as my pheno from seeds. All the pics i am showing, are from the "grand-daughter" cloned (C3) of the original set of seeds bought in april 2006. Another pheno from seed (same ecuadorian x hawaiian) had slightly wider leaf fingers and boy, did the buds smelled skunky! by opening a bag in a 12 x 12 foot room, it would fill itself with a super skunky aroma in less then 30 seconds. I once went to a club and just for fun, I was walking with it, while opening the bag discreetly. Everyone around me was intrigued by the smell! ahahah...

I did not clone this powerful skunky pheno, too risky with nosy neighboors.

Here is a pic of this skunky pheno and lower, a bud of the pheno that I am still cloning after one year, for its euphoric, stratospheric, super clear, conversational and social effects. discreet smell of juicy fruit gum/pineapple/citrus. Don't expect to fall asleep with this lady around.

Cheers for your reply Budelaire. I'm very curious on how long these plants will take to finish in un-crossed form. Although I'm still not happy about their looks I'm pretty sure I'll find out eventually... The ugly ducks are now starting to develop 5-fingered leaves so my hope for mature plants seems to have a chance of becoming reality. :D

Below are some pics taken just now, numbers 1, 3 and 4.

Budelaire

Ecuadorian growing good!

Ecuadorian growing good!

HIgH Mad Sc, Herbalistic and all the south american strain growers!

Looking good, these ecuadorian strains. The leaf pattern is ressembling from my Ecuador x Hawaii ... here is a pic of one from seed, back in March.

I have harvested this lady on June 2 and the flavor is quite minty. The high is upliftingly stratospheric, great daytime smoke.

Peace and pot!

Budelaire

bonecarver_OG said:
Photo47613.jpg

Sun Temple, Inca ruins of Ingapirca, Ecuador

not celestial. looks cool though!

peace

Thanks for your input...

Some say it is the Sun Temple, some say it is the Moon Temple, because of the 28 holes in the rock, beside the temple.

Please visit and read...
http://www.moon.com/planner/ecuador/mustsees/ingapircaruins.html

It says that:

The Cañari were the first to build here, calling their temple/observatory Cashaloma, meaning “place where the stars pour from the heavens.”

Well, If it isn't the Celestial Temple, it is quite near!

Meanwhile, here is a macro image of some ecuador genetics (50%)

Budelaire

This is a pic of somewhere on my land - Owning a 100 acres canadian forest. Right in the middle of nowhere.

I'll be growing NL x Dutch Treat... Hardy frosty strain made from 80% indica. Excellent for southern part of a canadian climate.

B

bonecarver_OG

Budelaire said:
It says that:

The Cañari were the first to build here, calling their temple/observatory Cashaloma, meaning “place where the stars pour from the heavens.”

Well, If it isn't the Celestial Temple, it is quite near!

hehe lol :D ok it sound nice so why not :D

peace

100 acres of forest like that to call yours?!? :nono: Holy shmoly, that's quite 'nice'... (<- understatement) :D

My best looking Ecuador plant was violated last Thursday. Suspect number one is a caterpillar that probably ate the bark from the plant all round at ground level, so when I returned home in the evening I found my little tropical buddy laying down like this:

It ain't a pretty sight, I know... But since the other two Ecuador plants are showing some deformations I'm very keen on making this little plant survive, to obtain a somewhat trustworthy idea of what it should look like in undisturbed circumstances. I had this bottle of special paste for wounded trees so I figured I'd give it a go on this cannabis plant to desinfect it and have the wound sealed.

So far it seems the plant is hanging in there quite well, considering it had it's sap flow heavily disturbed by the missing bark. I've placed it under a small table to protect it from heavy rainfall or intense sunlight and today it's still standing strong.

I hope it will pull through and eventually fully recover. It seems to be a tough little bugger and to be honest I didn't think it would survive at all, so I'm pretty impressed with how it's coping so far. Let's hope it will stay this way and I'll keep you posted of course. Dr Mad has a lotta lovin' to give to brittle little plants... :bandit:

B

bonecarver_OG

im sure it will recover - and i bet it will get even more resinous :D

peace!

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
I agree with bone^, when plants "survive" from this kind of things they usually come stonger. I just noticed the other day that my Neville´s Haze girl who has estimated 21 to 35 day´s from harvest had broked/crashed her one big branch. The branch did hang from the bark layer -> I just taped her and today she seemed quite happy, but I still did give some supporting bondaging to her.

I just had pleasant experiment with girdling the barklayer of my Jock Horror. I have to say it´s nice technique.

Budelaire

Mad Scientist said:
100 acres of forest like that to call yours?!? :nono: Holy shmoly, that's quite 'nice'... (<- understatement) :D

My best looking Ecuador plant was violated last Thursday. Suspect number one is a caterpillar that probably ate the bark from the plant all round at ground level, so when I returned home in the evening I found my little tropical buddy laying down like this:

It ain't a pretty sight, I know... But since the other two Ecuador plants are showing some deformations I'm very keen on making this little plant survive, to obtain a somewhat trustworthy idea of what it should look like in undisturbed circumstances. I had this bottle of special paste for wounded trees so I figured I'd give it a go on this cannabis plant to desinfect it and have the wound sealed.

So far it seems the plant is hanging in there quite well, considering it had it's sap flow heavily disturbed by the missing bark. I've placed it under a small table to protect it from heavy rainfall or intense sunlight and today it's still standing strong.

I hope it will pull through and eventually fully recover. It seems to be a tough little bugger and to be honest I didn't think it would survive at all, so I'm pretty impressed with how it's coping so far. Let's hope it will stay this way and I'll keep you posted of course. Dr Mad has a lotta lovin' to give to brittle little plants... :bandit:

I think also it will recover, cross our fingers!

As you can see, the leaf pattern of my Ecuador x Hawaiian looks pretty much like your seedlings. I think it will be a question of aroma and flavor. Keep us posted as it grows. I am very curious if my variety is real of bogus. We'll compare the scent an taste later, my friend!

Thanks for the kind words guys! :bandit:

And I'm glad to confirm that you were all right about the recovery of the plant that was taken down by a hungry caterpillar. Today I removed it from it's shelter under the table to give it some more light, since I figured it should have regained some strength by now. In the meanwhile it has barely grown so I won't bother you with pics that show basically no difference, but I'm pretty delighted to say it's still alive and kicking. Brave little plant it is, while unfortunately it's 'sisters' are showing more and more deformed and twisted leaves... I fear there's not much I can do about that at this stage in their lives, as they only received some diluted Rhizotonic until now and the soil they're in is just your basic potting soil. Maybe they're quite susceptible to cold and because of that the uptake of nutrients is disturbed easily. Also we've had vast amounts of rain the past few days so it could also be overwatering issues. I find it remarkable though that only the Ecuador sativas seem to cope with these problems, whereas the other (hybrid) plants show no stress signals at all.

Has anyone encountered similar problems before when growing ecuatorial sativas outside of their natural habitat?

Sin Humo

Mad Scientist - I've had slugs and snails take a plant out like that - I often wonder if they know it will fell the plant so they can move on to eat the juicy growing tips and leaves! If all of the sap bearing bark has been removed in a ring then the chances it will survive are slim because the plant has lost touch with it's roots. I find the best thing to do is bury the plant deeper so that the damaged section is under the soil, by either re-potting or cutting a couple of inches off the bottom of the root-ball so that new roots can sprout from the damage though this isn't always possible to do. Fingers crossed it'll be OK.

Sin Humo, I should have taken cuttings or buried it deeper. I thought because it seemed to cope with the sitaution fairly well I could let it recover in it's original setting, but the past few days have proven me wrong. Unfortunately there's not much left of the plant. She completely collapsed again last weekend and despite my foliar feeding I'm counting her days now. Pretty sure she's not going to make it and it's too late for cuttings or other tactics, so I'm looking forward to receiving your condoleances soon... :wink:

The other two are doing 'okay' though. Last weekend one of the Ecuadorians was attacked by a snail and practically all new growing shoots were eaten. We've had lots and lots of snails and slugs the past weeks because of the extremely wet weather conditions in Holland and elsewhere in Europe as well. Yesterday finally some sunshine arrived and today the weather's been very sunny too, so the plants are visibly enjoying themselves. Pictured below are the two surviving Ecuador plants, numbers 1 and 4.

#1 is developing quite broad leaves and shows some stunted growth. Ecuador #4 also seems to be a little bit confused in it's Dutch habitat, but nice and fresh growing shoots are forming again so I'm pretty curious what it will end up like. The stem is the thickest of all and it's also the tallest plant. Might turn out to be a male...?

Enjoy the weather everyone, and keep it green... :bandit:

Hi all! :wave:

'Sup in the Southern Americas these days. I hope you're all fine, though I read some unfortunate news on Redrider eslewhere on these boards. Seems he is forced to move out of Colombia because of decreasing opportunities for employment, so I read. A real pity we won't be enjoying new pics anytime soon, but I wish you the best for the future Redrider. Good luck.

Here's the two Ecuadorians, trying hard, but not really succeeding in the weather we've had here the past couple of weeks. No signs of pre-flower either, so unless a miracle will happen I fear I won't see their full potential this season. There's some good weather coming up though, so I hope that will give them a little boost.

And my Haze Special while I'm at it anyway. :wink:

Latest posts

Latest posts