What's new

the potential in south america

Ganico

Veteran
Rastatrue- you can't find CTS in Ecuador, because CTS isn't really a real Ecuadoran strain. It's most likely not even pure sativa.

I think it's basically just a canadian bred sativa-dom, but it might have some equadorian genetics though.

Anyway you could just buy the CTS seeds instead of going to Ecuador. But if you actually want to get a landrace from Ecuador, don't waste your money like I did. Them folks scammed me out of $100, haha.

G

Its been said many times that in order to find the real genetic gems in places like s america you have to know folks, but you might get lucky with commercial bagseed you bought while down there, if you live somewhere with a long season and have plenty of outdoor space you could have a lot of fun growing loads of bagseeds and finding the keepers.

B

bonecarver_OG

two ecuadorian strains my friend talked about are - queso and maduro - he couldnt give more info than that though - it was 4 years ago since he moved here, so the genetics should definetly be around still :D

peace

B

bonecarver_OG

yeah.. if i wouldnt have been a complete nutcase i would have kept the bunch of seeds i collected during my travels crossing central america - had seeds from very very rare places. but at that time i just didnt take it seriously and actually i hadnt started growing with an interest.

i had seeds from colombia, from different batches of compressed block - a few very nice from nicaragua from volcanic mountains, hondurean from various sites, many guatemalan and mexican. BUT leaving mexico i was bringing lots of amber and gemstones - and didnt want to take a risk of carrying anything that might make em check me more - to pay import tax on the amber etc would have been - not fun.

I think thats propably one of the things im going to regret for all my life.

keep em bagseeds - there are hidden treasures there! :D

peace

G

I have seen so many gorgeous plants from bagseed, its a lottery but the rewards can be so well worth it!

Rastatrue

Collecting seeds

Collecting seeds

Hey now, I read up on the Celestial Temple in Ecuador. It is a real historical site. I realize that CTS is a brand name, but it must have some Ecuadorian roots. Montanita, Ecuador is a surfing village on the Pacific coast. When you get out of town, away from city police I tend to find herb smokers. In the countries I've been to rural people have the raw product. You get the seeds, stems,leaves, the whole plant. so finding landrace genentics should'nt be that hard. I think it was Ed Rosenfield who taught me that when you find a good herbstalk, it's seeds can reproduce those fine qualities. You can't reproduce volcanic soils, or the hot,humid sunlight, but you still got something of value.
I saved seeds ever since I started smoking in 1970. When I'd get a big sack I would trade it back in for more weed. Since I started growing I had great luck with bag seed. Not every one is a keeper, put 12 beans in some soil. I bet you get at least one female plant with bud production and the taste your after.
Where do you think Seedbanks got their first seeds? Mars?

Still, I'd like to go to Ecuador and learn how to surf. Along the way I know I'll find some herb & seeds. Again, anybody out there ever been to Montanita?
:joint:

B

bonecarver_OG

hm - i cant find anything about any celestial temple in ecuador - besides the mormon temple in the capital has a "celestial" - room... not very likelly to be the source of any cannabis..

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
Hola!!!

I was at the belief that CTS was Ecuadorian sativa x Hawaian sativa :chin: Has somebody tryed to email federation guys to ask about the heritage of CTS? It would be good to get clarification on this subject, because here is so much speculation of the heritage of CTS... I dont know was ^^^ that the heritage but im quite sure that it isnt pure landrace!

I have made similar mistakes than you Bonecarver. I got Turkish sativa & hashplant seeds while I was in Turkey but wasnt really into growing then, so I didnt save the seeds... I was in Egypt couple years ago and made friends there, one of the good people I met there promised to get big bag of seeds of their traditional strains for me when I go there next time. Only problem is that I havent be able to connect my friend in the last 6 months, so I dont know does that guy still got that seedbag for me...

People should stop dissing the bagseeds if the herb they got them from was low quality. We cannot know the growing conditions, so it could reveal to be true treasure when grown properly!

Rastatrue

Hey Now, Hi bonecarver, I saw the pics here in some guys gallery. Of a round archelogical site in some small village in ecuador. I'll find it and post where it at.
Ecuador is real a cool little country with several different types enviorments..
I think CTS is a cross of Ecuador/Hawaii. I googled Ecuador and found all sorta intersting stuff.

B

bonecarver_OG

Photo47613.jpg

Sun Temple, Inca ruins of Ingapirca, Ecuador

not celestial. looks cool though!

peace

G

I wonder if the indigenous cannabis largely survives in Ecuador? I remember a picture in one of Lawrence Cherniak's books of a huge sativas growing close to the main pyramid at Chichen Itza on the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico, sometime in the 70s I think it was taken. I was there a couple of years ago and explored Yucatan quite well and never sam a single cannabis plant, and the Yucatan was once carpeted in the stuff, eradication at work sadly.

R

randude

The topic of the potential in South America is another way of saying the Potential in the entire World of Cannabis. I have been reading so many landrace themed threads and I seen one common thread. Either a many of us would love variety in our highs, or a small few would never want variety IN THE HIGH. The days of very huge crops with huge variety, of obtaining whatever kind of weed you want are gone (outside of Holland). Actually they have never been. I have never in my life had the choice (outside of basic Sativa choice versus an Indica choice) to pick from. I have never had a shelf on the walls with choices of which jar to pick from for a specific reason. My thought are that only the grower can viably do this and I became one. Now when I hear a great artist like DJ or the likes describe what he is doing you are damn right I want to get involved. When I read that Redrider or Paz doing it I get a thrill. I love the photos, the slice of life and descriptions of their loves and passions. I have dreams to going to a small town in South America and meeting a simple grower, learning about people more and a common love that is truly international. I have seen some of these guys in the great Sativa growing areas talk about wanting to try AK and Blueberry. And that is cool, and I read they are paying EU and USA prices for that stuff. It demonstrates our basic need for diversity.

Budelaire

I smoked last friday with a cannabis connaisseur and he told me that he has hundred of Colombian Gold seeds dating back in 1981. He also has some Jamaican Lambsbread seeds. Since I only believe what I see, I will ask him to prove what he said. He is willing to give me all of his seeds, since he is not a grower. I appreciated his offer and I will see him soon, just to see if what he promised, is in fact the reality. I read here that one member of ICMag found some old seeds and they were still viable. On my side, guess if I will try to germinate some of those legendary strain? Of course. He has a very good knowledge in landraces and strains of the 70's and 80's. He's 48 year old, so it is possible that his story might be real. I'll keep you posted on new developments. I remember, back in 1982, I grew some colombian, but I did not know that flowering was photo-activated. So It stayed at a vegetative period forever! LOL. Still, at the end it was measuring 6 feet, when I got tired of waiting to see buds popping out. 25 years later, I might have a second chance to complete what failed in the past. Long live to South American genetics!

Meanwhile, here is a macro-picture of my C.T.S. x Hawaiian Sativa at 9 weeks flowering. This strain will keep you up all night long, if you happen to smoke it after midnight. Pure energy, stratospheric high... Welcome to the high grounds of the Celestial temple... I don't know if the Ecuadorian genetics in my cross is pure sativa, but every seed I have grown from this cross, gives the type of rush that only pure sativas give. Eight miles high.....

On this nice story, I wish you good health, peace and generous harvests!

G

Good luck with those old seeds, germ ratio will be low, but you might get lucky and find some nice indivoduals. That second macro shot is amazing, POTM material, great work!

A quick update on my Ecuador brickseeds. Out of 5 beans one sprouted upside-down and eventually didn't make it, two are doing quite okay and one has sprouted but is a little slow in development. We've had some severe rainfall and I forgot to close the vents of the propagator, so the soil is a little too wet at the moment. Hopefully some sun will take care of this problem (stretch also), but I'm pretty impressed with the germ-rates of these beans already since they came out of some imported brickweed from Quito.

The little bugger in the lower right corner is the first of 6 Haze Special beans to pop, the rest of them is not showing much apetite for sprouting. Had 100% germ-rates on the [Thai x Mexico] x Banghi beans I got from an enlightened soul (thanx again LMN!) though so I hope the Ecuadorians will hold on as well. I'll keep you posted on them anyway.

Anyone who's got some more info on the hermie issue? Or is it non-existant with South-American plants? Thanx in advance for any opinions on this. :bandit:

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
bonecarver_OG said:
two ecuadorian strains my friend talked about are - queso and maduro - he couldnt give more info than that though - it was 4 years ago since he moved here, so the genetics should definetly be around still :D

peace

jejejejej bone!!
My colombian friends told me what´s "maduro con queso"....if I don´t remember bad,it´s a joint made of "bareta" (MJ) and "basuco" (coca base)
well,there´s "Principe" as well,mj with coke? :biglaugh:

B

bonecarver_OG

lol hehehe - that explain why my work mate said he got stoned as heck.. lol im gonna kick his ass tomorow :D

hehe lol hm hm hehe im lucky its an other mate of mine going to ecuador. he is from the quito area - santo domingo.. hopefully he can find something for me :D but with no pressure since its a non smoker, and i dont expect him to get in trouble for me :D

peace :D

Rastatrue

Budelaire; Celestial Temple man

Budelaire; Celestial Temple man

Hey now, I knew I'd seen your pics from Ecuador on here somewhere. Glad you returned. I looked at your gallery. You got some fine micro's but I really likeyour shots from Ecuador. My studies say this is a very interesting place.
Some of these folks are stuck on stupid, as if they have'nt heard of a herbplant from a seed catalogue it could'nt exsist. I know native peole are'nt marketing brand names. Just smoking good weed. Given the diverse landscape of that country,beaches,lowlands,hill,volcanoes, and some high peaks there got to be some interesting plants down there. folks should look at Budelaire gallery. "The older I get ,the more I realize how little I know." :joint:

Budelaire

Ecuadorian species

Ecuadorian species

Hi everyone, como este?

Hey Mad Scientist, best of luck (I think it is a matter of care for the plants) with the ecuadorian strain. Here is a pic of my cross (CTS x Hawaiian) at 4 weeks flowering. Not much indica in this clone!

redrider

Colombian

Colombian

Colombian grown 100% Colombian Sativa (8month jar cure).

Peace from the Colombian highlands

Latest posts

Latest posts