What's new

The Postman's Overgrown Closet Grows #2

Mister Postman

The Plant Pervert
Veteran
Mystic420 said:
Postman - I have Molasses and Epsom salts...just forgot to mention those. I'm using Farfard 3B soil mix...but only 1 part of it.

My soil Mix is:

1 part Farfard 3B soil
1 part manure compost .5-.5-.5
1 part mushroom compost (?.?.?)
1 part perilite
Lime

Oh, and I also picked up BioBiz TopMax Bloom Stimulator...which says it's Sea Kelp 15% and Humic Acid 30%

What I'd like to do is build up the soil to where I wouldn't need to do the teas just yet...and that's only because I don't really have a "hidden place" to make the teas just yet. I was thinking the garage, but with temps below freezing, that would be difficult to do...SO, if I could build up the soil and do it that way, that would be great.

What I did last time was I put my whole mix together in a 20 gallon container and that way it's all mixed up nicely and I can just open the container and scoop out a premade mix with all the fixins.

In a few more weeks...once the guests for Christmas are out of town I'll be in a better spot to make the teas...unless I can make it now and store it? But I thought it had to be "fresh"? is that right?

Whatcha think? Thanks in advance for your time with this man...If you're like me, you're a busy man...so much love for the help!

Alright here is what I'd do mystic with what you have planned. I'd take a bit of your farfard/composts/perilite mix and amend it with the dolomite at 1tbl per gallon if farfard has some in it already, or 2tbls per gal. if there is no lime source or ph buffer in it to start (Also if ur starting waters ph is above 7 I would go lighter with the dolomite). I would take some of this mix, and put it off to the side for starting your seedlings in. You could extend their time in this mix by using the ewc, or fish emulsion if they should start getting hungry a bit early, but IME the composts have plenty in them for the starting stage.

I would then take the remainder and amend it further with your blood & bone meals at 1tbs blood to 2tbls bone per gallon. What is missing from your list is a solid k source you could add to your mix. I like kelp meal myself for this, but Jersey greensand is another option u could look for (these will supply ur k and some micro nutrients in ur mix). I haven't worked with GS yet myself though. I would then let this mix sit a good 2-3 weeks to cook, and breakdown a bit before using.

What that'll give ya there^^ is a solid nutrient rich soil to start with containing amendments which break down gradually and become available for the most part over time.

I would use your faster releasing amendments such as the fish emulsion and bat guanos as nutrient boosters if they should appear to be lacking anything during the grow. Instead of making teas you could just as easily top dress with these and benefit from their faster breakdown times (of course u wont top dress the emulsion). When you do the last transplant before flower you could also amend the bottom of the new containers with some of the high p bat guano per directions which I believe to be 1-2tbls per gallon for most kinds/brands.

You don't have to go to crazy with the tea making. You could make them a gallon at a time, and do away with the aerator if you need too... You'd just have to give them a good shaking every 8-12 hours or as often as you can, to mix it up and get some oxygen into the mix. Teas tend to go bad after a few days, so it's not something you can make, and store easily. Also anything like this you really can't cap up and store as it needs oxygen to stay fresh (U risk a big shit bomb:nono: hehe). And yeah freezing temps is a no-no as everything slows down in the cold.

That's how I'd go about it though Mystic. The top booster looks good. Both kelp, and humus are a plus to the organic garden. I'm just not sure if this is a sufficient k source for the long term.

I would post up your mix, and amendment plans in the organic soil section here, and let some of the experts look over your plans, and see if they can come up with something better, or maybe notice if anything is missing/lacking before u start.

Last edited:

Mister Postman

The Plant Pervert
Veteran
My new grow has begun in the reservoir seeds vendor forum section...

Featured strains are all from Reservoir seeds.. Rez was nice enough to send me out an early sampling of his Chemdog bx1, so I'll be running them, some of the wonder diesel in-crosses I made in this here diary, as well as the all new double strawberry diesel will be on the menu. 2008 is a Reservoir seeds year for me... So please tune in, and come join me over there if interested:)

gonejah17

So I finally made it to the end of the overgrown closet grow!!! (GC + IC)
thanks a lot ofor everything man, Ive hit u up on ur othr threads and will continur too, thanks again for all the info you offer . . loved the PPP and the reveg!!!! and the HASHBERRY!!!

PS is c99 still the fav overall??

Mister Postman

The Plant Pervert
Veteran
gonejah17 said:
So I finally made it to the end of the overgrown closet grow!!! (GC + IC)
thanks a lot ofor everything man, Ive hit u up on ur othr threads and will continur too, thanks again for all the info you offer . . loved the PPP and the reveg!!!! and the HASHBERRY!!!

PS is c99 still the fav overall??

I think c99 will always be a favorite gonehah17... The flavor is one that once you smoke it, you will always remember it, and look forward to smoking it again.

I enjoyed each and every sample I have been able to obtain, as well as growing the c99/blueberry and grapefruit hybrids. I'm most definitely looking forward to Reservoir seeds future release of c99, and it's well known hybrids too.

Hi postman, stopping by to say HI :joint:

I had another Question for you. When you do a run in a rich soil like FFOF, then when the plant uses all the nutes in the soil up... lets say you also mixed in some 25% perlite... would you say the "soil" is now more of a "hydro" substrate, requiring a lower overall PH for nutrient exchange-uptake to occur? Or would you still want a PH of 6.5 regardless of how much the soil is "used" by the plants. For instance if you kept re-using the same soil over and over for a year, eventually you would have to start a feeding regime to compensate for what is lost... can you rejuvenate the soil somehow? I was thinking the soil would be more of a growing medium similar to perlite at that point.

Mister Postman

The Plant Pervert
Veteran
extinctx11 said:
Hi postman, stopping by to say HI :joint:

I had another Question for you. When you do a run in a rich soil like FFOF, then when the plant uses all the nutes in the soil up... lets say you also mixed in some 25% perlite... would you say the "soil" is now more of a "hydro" substrate, requiring a lower overall PH for nutrient exchange-uptake to occur? Or would you still want a PH of 6.5 regardless of how much the soil is "used" by the plants. For instance if you kept re-using the same soil over and over for a year, eventually you would have to start a feeding regime to compensate for what is lost... can you rejuvenate the soil somehow? I was thinking the soil would be more of a growing medium similar to perlite at that point.

I'm glad I checked out this thread Extinct... My current journal is in the reservoir seeds section... I haven't checked out this one in a while... Just realized though, I fucked up and labeled them both #2, the new journal in the rez section should have been #3:joint: oh well shit happens.

Anyway, I do understand your question, and what ur getting at here... Let me try to explain as I understand it. FFOF is an organic peat/compost based medium. A living organic soil. Once those nutrients in the soil are used, you have a choice to make... You can either re-amend or top dress with organic material ewc, composts-guanos, the fox farms fruit & flower etc. (all these, good organic materials would also rejuvenate the soil after a run for reuse), or you can start feeding with a liquid nutrient. IMO if you start out paying extra money for a nicely amended organic soil you should work on keeping it living, and use organic amendments or organic liquid nutrient.

If you choose to feed with liquid mineral salts or synthetics I would still keep the ph within the soil parameters simply because the ffof is peat based.. In time peat breaks down acidic. I would also not plan to reuse the mix though if I fed it with mineral salts/synthetics simply because after a run the soil would be as you figured just a buffer for the synthetic ferts, and no longer living.

It's the organic amendments, and organic way of growing that can keep the soil living, and available for long term use, and reuse.

harold

Mr postman, your a legend and your grows are awe inspiring... thanks for the wonderful thread and have a nice crimbo :smile: