What's new

The Postman's Overgrown Closet Grows #2

Mystic420

Mister Postman said:
Around a gallon Mystic give or take.. The round ones hold a lil more then the square. The rounds are 8.5in round 8in. deep. Maybe a lil over a gallon. The others are 7.5in square which taper a bit, so prolly a gallon or a lil less.

I up pot often. I start seedlings in the red dixie cups, up pot shortly after into 6in round containers, then into those in the pics until sexed (which was this week for the majority).. Once they show sex, and I gain some space loosing males the females go to 3 gallon bags/3.5gal. round containers where I vegg them a week or so longer then flip to flower and finish.

Never any issues with stressing them out with all the moves??? I wish I had the floor space for 3 gallon...2 is the most I can do ...and it's tight. I can get 6 2 gallon garbage cans in my little closet. right now I'm sexing in 2 liters...and hope to move my sativas to 2 gallons but will keep my indicas in the 2 liters and see how they do....I know I'll lose some yield due to limiting their size...but I want variety...The past 2 times I've harvest 1 strain only and after 3 weeks of it, I wanted something different and went and bought a hundo quarter off my buddy, just for variety. Baby steps I suppose. Hopefully by March or April I have a few moms and few different strains going. Just started another indoor mix...we'll see what pops up.

AugustWest

Veteran
wasup man! Looking killer as always.. figured i'd pop my posting cherry in your thread :)

peace & happy holidays

aw

Mister Postman

The Plant Pervert
Veteran
Mystic420 said:
Never any issues with stressing them out with all the moves??? I wish I had the floor space for 3 gallon...2 is the most I can do ...and it's tight. I can get 6 2 gallon garbage cans in my little closet. right now I'm sexing in 2 liters...and hope to move my sativas to 2 gallons but will keep my indicas in the 2 liters and see how they do....I know I'll lose some yield due to limiting their size...but I want variety...The past 2 times I've harvest 1 strain only and after 3 weeks of it, I wanted something different and went and bought a hundo quarter off my buddy, just for variety. Baby steps I suppose. Hopefully by March or April I have a few moms and few different strains going. Just started another indoor mix...we'll see what pops up.

You know Mystic, I never really notice much transplant shock at all. Maybe a day or two slow down, but not much at all. I notice more issues keeping them in a pot a lil to long then I do when I transplant them out LOL. They usually seem pleased with the new diggs for the most part...

I do a wet to wet transplant. Moisten the container the plant is in, and transplant into moist soil, and I loosen up the roots good with my hands pulling them down from the bottom where they build up, and running my fingers down the sides. Having the roots spread out and ready like that seems to do them some good getting rooted quicker in their new containers. I'll tell ya though this plant is a resilient one.... I've actually kept mothers plants in small pots, and just cut root balls in half when they outgrew a pot. Trim the top equal to the bottom and they seem to do alright LOL.. I wouldn't go doing that, but just saying LOL, pretty gnarly technique to do on a plant we baby so much.

Whats the diameter and depth of your 2gal? I have a few pots and I'm not sure what they are. Think they may be two. I flowered some nice plants in 2gal though. Some of my plants on gc finished in 2gal bags. When I started getting into the organics I needed more soil/nutrients and went up to the 3gal. Now I'm under 400cmh and my roots are growing like CRAZY and my plants are eating up the nutrients in the soil a lot quicker. I screwed up on my transplants the first time cause I got used to just looking at their size and knowing when to up pot.. This time I started to get some premature yellowing and pulled them out of the dixies to find it was just FULL of beautiful white roots hehe.

As for variety I have to agree. I'll tell ya when I bought, I bought the same ol beasters day in and day out, and for some reason I never questioned or thought much about smoking the same thing every damn day. Now I'm not sure if I get bored with one, or I just do it cause I can, but I love a variety. :rasta:

Mister Postman

The Plant Pervert
Veteran
AugustWest said:
wasup man! Looking killer as always.. figured i'd pop my posting cherry in your thread :)

peace & happy holidays

aw

Damn AugustWest it's great to see ya here bro... I actually spoke to someone on here who said they new you a lil ways back, and told them to say hello for me. Mentioned how I haven't seen you on for like ever, and well here u are.

The ladies are doing good.. I'm noticing massive root growth though, and a much heftier appetite under the 400cmh. I'll have to update with some pics in a bit... I Just got my females sorted (think my ratio wasn't to hot this run) Got at least four really nice ones though... I think they'll sit pretty under the 400 in my now SQUARE closet hehehe Oh and they stink so good in vegg. I think i got some really stinky wonder diesels this run. Got me running for a new filter at least LOL.

You guys have a safe a happy holiday as well... Oh and thanks breaking your posting cherry right here all over my thread LMAO. :wave:

Last edited:

AugustWest

Veteran
Mister Postman said:
Damn AugustWest it's great to see ya here bro... I actually spoke to someone on here who said they new you a lil ways back, and told them to say hello for me. Mentioned how I haven't seen you on for like ever, and well here u are.

The ladies are doing good.. I'm noticing massive root growth though, and a much heftier appetite under the 400cmh. I'll have to update with some pics in a bit... I Just got my females sorted (think my ratio wasn't to hot this run) Got at least four really nice ones though... I think they'll sit pretty under the 400 in my now SQUARE closet hehehe Oh and they stink so good in vegg. I think i got some really stinky wonder diesels this run. Got me running for a new filter at least LOL.

You guys have a safe a happy holiday as well... Oh and thanks breaking your posting cherry right here all over my thread LMAO. :wave:

good to hear from ya man.. and yeah my buddy told me you said hi. He came out to visit a month or so ago.
quick Q for ya.. when do you start using the 400w MH from seed? Ive been having all sorts of seedling issues since i moved to the new place.

and you're welcome.. i was holding out for someone special to break the cherry with lol.

Mister Postman

The Plant Pervert
Veteran
AugustWest said:
good to hear from ya man.. and yeah my buddy told me you said hi. He came out to visit a month or so ago.
quick Q for ya.. when do you start using the 400w MH from seed? Ive been having all sorts of seedling issues since i moved to the new place.

and you're welcome.. i was holding out for someone special to break the cherry with lol.

I do feel special.. Is that weird guys??? hehehe :spank::bashhead:

This was the first time I used anything more then cfl to vegg any of my plants. Except for my first round on gc before I went perpetual (vegged in the flower closet under hps). Usually I vegged them in that small rubbermade wardrobe cab, and once they outgrew that LOL they went to the flower closet. So the 400 cmh is not something I used prior.

I pretty much went by the lots size. When it seemed I was getting close to 250watts of cfl and was gonna need to add more cfl to cover them all in their new pots, I just flipped on the 400. they were just coming out of the red dixies going into 6in pots, so they were fairly young... Just about showing their third set of true leaves.

Is there anything I may be able to help you with, with the seedling issues west? You had a few really fantastic grows prior, so being stuck now at seedling must be frustrating as all hell for you. If it's all of them since the move, and you tried the obvious new soils/water/ferts etc. you think maybe the seeds themselves were damaged or exposed to a contaminant or high heat? Maybe try a few from clone, or keep a few tomato plants or house plants in the tent ur growing and see if they react the same. I never experienced it myself, but there has been some who claim a new or bad room syndrome (atmospheric-environmental issues)

Last edited:

AugustWest

Veteran
Mister Postman said:
I do feel special.. Is that weird guys??? hehehe :spank::bashhead:

This was the first time I used anything more then cfl to vegg any of my plants. Except for my first round on gc before I went perpetual (vegged in the flower closet under hps). Usually I vegged them in that small rubbermade wardrobe cab, and once they outgrew that LOL they went to the flower closet. So the 400 cmh is not something I used prior.

I pretty much went by the lots size. When it seemed I was getting close to 250watts of cfl and was gonna need to add more cfl to cover them all in their new pots, I just flipped on the 400. they were just coming out of the red dixies going into 6in pots, so they were fairly young... Just about showing their third set of true leaves.

Is there anything I may be able to help you with, with the seedling issues west? You had a few really fantastic grows prior, so being stuck now at seedling must be frustrating as all hell for you. If it's all of them since the move, and you tried the obvious new soils/water/ferts etc. you think maybe the seeds themselves were damaged or exposed to a contaminant or high heat? Well anyway if there is anything I can do to help let me know. Maybe try a few from clone.

lol man i'm not gonna get started on my issues i've been having.. it's been 3 months and about 4 rounds of grows and still no luck. i started a help thread at the other place and got some pretty good advice so i'm gonna wait and see. I think my soil isn't drying fast enough so the roots just aren't getting the oxygen they need (just a guess)
i'm just bummed that i have to buy buds even though it's been dank as hell so far this season.

Mystic420

AugustWest said:
i'm just bummed that i have to buy buds even though it's been dank as hell so far this season.

*singing* "Won't you be my neighbor"

LOL.

Sorry postman...just wanted to say what up to AugustWest...good to see another one converted, now we just need to get the picture uploading fixed, so we can see another AugustWest thread too!

quill

Mister Postman said:
I up pot often. I start seedlings in the red dixie cups, up pot shortly after into 6in round containers, then into those in the pics until sexed (which was this week for the majority).. Once they show sex, and I gain some space loosing males the females go to 3 gallon bags/3.5gal. round containers where I vegg them a week or so longer then flip to flower and finish.

Thanks Mr. Postman... what a pleasant morning I've had reading your thread right thru. Lots of good info, not to mention pics.

Do you recall approx. how many days old your F2s were when they showed sex? I am growing out some double strawberry diesels in soil (which look very much like yours, with fat green leaves and tight spacing) and the root growth has been quite vigorous... they are already in 1 gallon pots at 2 1/2 weeks of age and it would be wonderful if I could sex them before having to up-pot again.

q

Mister Postman

The Plant Pervert
Veteran
quill said:
Thanks Mr. Postman... what a pleasant morning I've had reading your thread right thru. Lots of good info, not to mention pics.

Do you recall approx. how many days old your F2s were when they showed sex? I am growing out some double strawberry diesels in soil (which look very much like yours, with fat green leaves and tight spacing) and the root growth has been quite vigorous... they are already in 1 gallon pots at 2 1/2 weeks of age and it would be wonderful if I could sex them before having to up-pot again.

q

Quill, most of the strains I've grown have shown sex in veg. It differs some strain to strain, but usually under an 18/6 light schedule I start seeing the pre-flowers and can accurately sex them between weeks 3-5. Some a lil earlier, and some a lil later, but under an 18/6 schedule when mature they usually show sex. Some of these WD started right around week 3 this round.

Mystic420

Well.... I did it. I drove the 30 minutes to the hydroponics supply store and picked up some guanos...mexican and jamaican. I'm going to give this tea thing another go. Help me go organic!!! The hydo store guy was pushing the hydro hard, but I like the organic style better I think...more of a personal touch playing in the dirt or something...plus I hear it's the best way to get the flavors out of the buds...?? Time will tell...

Here's my supplies:

EWC
Mushroom Compost
Manure Compost
mexican guano
Jamiacan guano
Fish Emulsion
Blood meal
Bone Meal

Let me know what direction you'd go with these supplies....

Mister Postman

The Plant Pervert
Veteran
Yeah bro, for the most part it's all good. I'm just feeling incredibly shitty recently though. I caught this bug that's been going around, and haven't even felt much like getting off the couch or even smoking much at all the last few days.... Yeah, when that happens I know I'm really really sick heheh.

Had some setbacks in the grow recently. I was actually 4 weeks into vegging my closet full of wonder diesels and got skunked out by one of those new odor soks :badday: Worked great for a few weeks, but once a lil dust built up on it, and plants got bigger it become really inadequate for the strains I'm growing. I took it down put it in the dryer as they suggest and it worked a lil while longer, but IMO it wasn't going to cut it. I was really hoping it would make it through at least 1 full grow for $65, but oh well, we live and learn.

Since I had a good stash accumulated from previous harvests it wasn't such a bad set back. I ended up keeping the 2 best looking females f2's I got from those seeds I started, ordering up a new proper carbon scrubber, and dropped a few of my chemdog bx1 seeds into a cup of water in the mean time:rasta:

I got my scrubber late last week, and it's full speed ahead now. I mounted the new can 33 in the grow space, and left the odor sok on the end of the exhaust just as an added precaution i guess LOL. The can 33 seems adequate though. I'm going to run those chembog bx from seed, and fit in clones off these two new wonder diesel f2 fems I got where they fit depending on my sex ratio.

So all in all I had a setback in my new grow space recently, but now it should be full speed ahead with a new scrubber, a new highly anticipated strain, and two really nice new fems from the wd f2's (I'll post a few pics of them two fems soon--- looking great under the cmh though--extremely bushy)

Mister Postman

The Plant Pervert
Veteran
Mystic420 said:
Well.... I did it. I drove the 30 minutes to the hydroponics supply store and picked up some guanos...mexican and jamaican. I'm going to give this tea thing another go. Help me go organic!!! The hydo store guy was pushing the hydro hard, but I like the organic style better I think...more of a personal touch playing in the dirt or something...plus I hear it's the best way to get the flavors out of the buds...?? Time will tell...

Here's my supplies:

EWC
Mushroom Compost
Manure Compost
mexican guano
Jamiacan guano
Fish Emulsion
Blood meal
Bone Meal

Let me know what direction you'd go with these supplies....

Hey Mystic, good to see you trying again, and not giving up on it just yet. I'll do my best to help you along wherever I can, or point you in the right directions if I'm not exactly 100% sure about something myself. I'm very much in the experimental stages myself trying new things often, and coming up with something that works for me and my situation.

I really enjoy organic gardening for the simple fact it is a very personal, and individualistic way of growing. It's usually very difficult to find a method written in stone, and extremely difficult to find someone working with the same medium, and same exact amends you are. It's really about what you have on hand, whats available, and how you can make it all work for you in the end. I learned a shit ton about the plant going organic that I never would of learned or fully understood with a 5ml of this 10 ml of that, and flush if you screw up regimen I started with.

One thing I'll need to know is what exactly you have in mind. Are you looking to amend a medium heavily enough to be able to feed nothing but water, and maybe a few supplemental feeding here and there for a nutrient boost... Or would you rather work with a lighter amended mix, and rely more on feeding organic teas more regularly?

Do you have a medium or soil mix already in mind? Premixed-bagged or mixing your own? What brand it is and whats in it will help some as well. from that, and the style in which you intend to feed them I should be able to come up with something that'll work, and get you off to a good start.

One thing I see lacking from your list is a good micro nutrient source, and maybe a solid k source (not sure what some of your compost manures, and meals contain as far as npk though). while most of whats on the list does contain varied micro nutrients themselves it's good to have something you can use in a pinch if deficiencies show themselves. Something such as kelp meal or extract, and molasses (both k , and micro sources). Even some epsom salts in a pinch for mag. With the slower and gradual breakdown of most organic materials it's good to have something you can foliar with in a pinch and get it in them quicker then if you were to top dress the soil. Dolomite lime would also be important if your mixing your own medium from scratch (many pre-mixed bag mediums contain dolomite or something similar such as oyster shells or limestone calcium etc. to begin with). That'll keep your mix in a relatively safe ph as the organic material break down. That'll also supply a large portion of the cal/mag most marijuana plants seem to need in good amounts.

You got some good stuff in hands though mystic. You should have no problem getting something put together with it.

D Rock

HERBAL RELEAF PLANT A SEED START A WE
Veteran
Postman looks like you welded those two stems together, looks good as always!

Mystic420

Mister Postman said:
One thing I'll need to know is what exactly you have in mind. Are you looking to amend a medium heavily enough to be able to feed nothing but water, and maybe a few supplemental feeding here and there for a nutrient boost... Or would you rather work with a lighter amended mix, and rely more on feeding organic teas more regularly?

Do you have a medium or soil mix already in mind? Premixed-bagged or mixing your own? What brand it is and whats in it will help some as well. from that, and the style in which you intend to feed them I should be able to come up with something that'll work, and get you off to a good start.

Postman - I have Molasses and Epsom salts...just forgot to mention those. I'm using Farfard 3B soil mix...but only 1 part of it.

My soil Mix is:

1 part Farfard 3B soil
1 part manure compost .5-.5-.5
1 part mushroom compost (?.?.?)
1 part perilite
Lime

Oh, and I also picked up BioBiz TopMax Bloom Stimulator...which says it's Sea Kelp 15% and Humic Acid 30%

What I'd like to do is build up the soil to where I wouldn't need to do the teas just yet...and that's only because I don't really have a "hidden place" to make the teas just yet. I was thinking the garage, but with temps below freezing, that would be difficult to do...SO, if I could build up the soil and do it that way, that would be great.

What I did last time was I put my whole mix together in a 20 gallon container and that way it's all mixed up nicely and I can just open the container and scoop out a premade mix with all the fixins.

In a few more weeks...once the guests for Christmas are out of town I'll be in a better spot to make the teas...unless I can make it now and store it? But I thought it had to be "fresh"? is that right?

Whatcha think? Thanks in advance for your time with this man...If you're like me, you're a busy man...so much love for the help!

Latest posts

Latest posts