What's new

The Original O'l Farts Club.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
here in california, they are bringing back where a persons family can have them institutionalized if they feel they cant care for themselves on their own
i havent looked into the number of cases this has applied to but im sure the stats are out there
while i dont like the idea of incarcerating people against their will, this could be the best solution for some people

i heard nancy did that after watching a movie, one flew over the coocoos nest
I don't like the idea of incarcerating people with mental health issues unless they are a danger to themselves and others and their condition is incurrable. I'd be more comfortable with having people locked up in a mental health institution if they made any sincere effort to "fix/cure" them so they could be released. Unfortunately they seem to more just warehouse them, especially the elderly. The first job I ever had at age 13 was for a nursing home. One of my responsibilities was to take these rolling cabinets filled with food trays at meal times, to the part of the home where they kept the mentally ill patients. It was terribly depressing because they mainly just kept them doped up enough to make them easily manageable. In some cases they would also secure them to a chair to keep them out of mischief. The place also smelled horrible because they would keep the patients in soiled clothing far longer then they should. If I ever got that bad I'd much rather someone just kill me rather then force me to live like that. Of course these people seemed so far gone that they probably weren't very aware of how terrible their situation was.

Last edited:

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
There has never been anyone cured of mental illness to my knowledge.
Most people are ok and can function in society those that can't and won't remove themselves usually become a threat to themselves or others its the nature of severe mental illness.........emphasis on severe not just different or eccentric.
🤔

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A question for you older folks, I have been wondering about my lack of memory, I can forget something in seconds, sometimes I forget what I am talking about when I am talking. I think I do things when I haven't or vice versa. Here when I write, read back my words, my messages are not always clear in meaning. Is this just me or do you share in this kind of dilemma. I'm not saying it's terrible just concerning.
Yup and worse when stoned. I think being stoned is good exercise to prepare us for later mental decline.
Lawrd knows Wolves try!
Wrong....he becomes the most hated person in the room.

View attachment 19007354
Thats the part that makes me sorry I did it.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
I don't like the idea of incarcerating people with mental health issues unless they are a danger to themselves and others and their condition is incurrable. I'd be more comfortable with having people lock up in a mental health institution is they made any sincere effort to "fix/cure" them. Unfortunately they seem to more just warehouse them, especially the elderly. The first job I ever had at age 13 was for a nursing home. One of my responsibilities was to take these rolling cabinets filled with food trays at meal times, to the part of the home where they kept the mentally ill patients. It was terribly depressing because they ainly just kept them doped up enough to make them easily manageable. In some cases they would also secure them to a chair to keep them out of mischief. The place also smelled horrible because they would keep the patients in soiled clothing far longer then they should. If I ever got that bad I'm much rather someone just kill me rather then force me to live like that. Of course these people seemed so far gone that they probably weren't very aware of how terriblee their situation was.
its a complex problem and there is no easy solution, i dont like the idea of warehousing people either
lock them up or let them run free on the streets?
for a lot of mentally ill people they can manage on their own as long as they take their medicine and have some kind of support system
but some people fall through the cracks and end up on the streets where they become a burden to society
i would never let anyone in my family to end up like what you discribe, but unfortunately a lot of people dont have family to fall back on

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
There has never been anyone cured of mental illness to my knowledge.
Most people are ok and can function in society those that can't and won't remove themselves usually become a threat to themselves or others its the nature of severe mental illness.........emphasis on severe not just different or eccentric.
🤔
Personally I think we are all a bit on the crazy side. Especially when we are young. Look at today's youth. They are protesting the very man that is forgiving them of their student loans......that's crazy!!

If I were that guy I would say ok.....pay the loan then. Just saying.....

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Personally I think we are all a bit on the crazy side. Especially when we are young. Look at today's youth. They are protesting the very man that is forgiving them of their student loans......that's crazy!!

If I were that guy I would say ok.....pay the loan then. Just saying.....
Maybe it suggests the young are paying attention to things like the economy and performance in office?

OleReynard

A question for you older folks, I have been wondering about my lack of memory, I can forget something in seconds, sometimes I forget what I am talking about when I am talking. I think I do things when I haven't or vice versa. Here when I write, read back my words, my messages are not always clear in meaning. Is this just me or do you share in this kind of dilemma. I'm not saying it's terrible just concerning.
How old are you oldman?

oldmaninbc

My duvet cover is from September and shit. I could wash my bedding. Have to wash socks in a few days. Underwear too.
It sounds like you got some chores to do.

I'd like to put summer bedding on but it's still cool at night but almost too warm for winter bedding, it's a conundrum.
Spend considerable time at home, chores are way to keep busy and move around.

I like clean bedding not as much as my wife likes clean bedding.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't believe you.jpg