What's new

The Original O'l Farts Club.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
this echos a lot of the stories i hear of street people
a lot of them are on ssi/ benefits of some kind, but just want to live rough and not be told what to do
I don't know what the percentages are but I'd say it's over 50% of the homeless aare the way they are due to mental health issues. I often wonder if during the Reagan asministration if they didn't gut mental healthcare in the US that put a lot of people on the streets, would the homeless problem still be as big as it is now?

oldmaninbc

You really get screwed in the long run if you dont do some things right.
IMHO thats one of them and problems such as that can happen again in the winter with a whole set of additional problems.
Not the opinion of the group and your milage may vary😊
This is coming from a plumbers son and someone who watched " The Three Stooges Do Plumbing" a 1000 times🙄
I worked many years selling building supplies and heard stories of regret for only partially completing a job.
My son is a plumber, I don't think he does much plumbing anymore, mostly does the ordering of materials for contracts.

HempKat

Veteran
Ahhggg! - (Sneezes!) - gawd sneezes hurt - after open heart surgery - even after nearly 6 weeks since they opened me up - but were much-much more painful after 3 days since the surgery - I wanted to die - that was the worst pain I've ever encountered - the sorta pain that has you crying for your dead Mother -

Jeez! - what's the worst pain you ever had?
The worse pain for me is a toss up between two things, both connected to when i had my double bypass. The first one was when I was first coming to in the ICU after the surgery. They were spraying small amounts of fluid into my lungs to induce coughing and then they would have me trying to get to a certain point on that device they want you to inhale on to raise puck like piece in order to exercise your lungs. It hurt too much to get it to where they wanted so they kept at it for about 30 minutes or so. The other moment was about three days after the surgery when they removed the drainage tubes from my abdominal cavity. I was relatively comfortable when the docotor came in my room and started checking where the tubes came out. I thought he was just inspecting things but he was actually cutting the stitches holding things in place. Then without me knowing what was getting ready to happen he told me to turn my head and cough. When I coughed he yanked the drainage tubes out in one swift motion and I experience an intanse blinding burst of pain. Fortunately it wore off pretty quickly but man of man for those first few seconds the pain seemed unimaginable for what they actually did to me.

HempKat

Veteran
Ehh - maybe not such a good question 🤔 - since it pains psychologically to remember physical pain - but you ain't never gonna forget it - that's for sure - maybe physical pain is good? - reminding you that you are VERY much alive - and ya gotta do something to alleviate that pain 😢 - or it's just gonna get worse - maybe even before it ever gets better -

As for being able to adjust our 'Pain Threshold' - to be able to cope with more pain - does that really work well? - I've seen a fair bit of pain over the years - so I think that I'm an old pain campaigner - and nothing should shock me - but it sure did when I did a heavy sneeze - after having my chest wired shut - and maaaan - that must have hit a twelve - on a one to ten scale -
What I've noticed about pain and memory the further you get from a particular moment of pain you begin to forget what the pain actually felt like. which is a blessing I think. You still remmmember if it was really bad or just moderate, etc but it is harder and harder to specifically remember then sensation. Like with the two moments I described in the previous post that happen quite a few years ago. I still remember that the pain was intense and among the worst pain I'd ever felt but I don't really remember the exact sensation.

As for tolerance, I've always had a pretty hgh tolerance but I can't say that I've ever increasssed the threshhold. I would guess however that if you experience severe pain ongoingly for long periods your threshhold just naturally increase as a product of having to cop with it.

oldmaninbc

A question for you older folks, I have been wondering about my lack of memory, I can forget something in seconds, sometimes I forget what I am talking about when I am talking. I think I do things when I haven't or vice versa. Here when I write, read back my words, my messages are not always clear in meaning. Is this just me or do you share in this kind of dilemma. I'm not saying it's terrible just concerning.

jokerman

Premium user
How could I not 🙄☝️😊 GW?
1716484650224.png

A question for you older folks, I have been wondering about my lack of memory, I can forget something in seconds, sometimes I forget what I am talking about when I am talking. I think I do things when I haven't or vice versa. Here when I write, read back my words, my messages are not always clear in meaning. Is this just me or do you share in this kind of dilemma. I'm not saying it's terrible just concerning.

jokerman

Premium user
nope its life😊

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Your messages here are fine.

I can remember most anything from the 60 but I can't find my phone or keys. I walk from one room to another and forgot what I went to do. When talking I can't remember a name .......then once the conversation has moved on the name comes to me......farg!

Hosing down decks.....loads of fun.

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club

fuggit about it

gotta love this Italian golfers name eh

dont feck with Guido

IMG_8943.jpeg

oldfogey8

We have a flock of ravens in the area now. They started showing up last year. Up to 7 that I have seen now. I believe they decimated the hatchlings of a killdeer breeding pair that we have been watching for 3 or 4 years. There were 4 originally, then 3, yesterday 1 and today just the 2 adults. The ravens were fighting over something about the size of the hatchling when Zig and I went to investigate. He is a bird chaser…

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
If I’m talking to someone about any thing in particular, if something catches my eye, my memory of the conversation disappears and I focus on what caught my eye… I usually remember within a few seconds where I was going with the conversations but I know that it’s getting worse. I can remember details from 5060 years ago, but I can’t remember what I had for dinner last night unless I think about it…
, Appointment for the infectious disease doctor is a little more than an hour away, so I’m gonna put the boys up and head on out and see what the doctor has to say to me… I’m getting really tired of sticking around with all these different doctors, their nurses, and their personalities. Some are very nice and the others I have a difficult time tolerating

HempKat

Veteran
That's not a problem I'm experiencing yet at age 64 but lots of people experience that problem as they get older. There are a number of nootropic solutions that can help with that which are based on several different types of mushrooms. I don't remember all the different types but the one that usually ends up being the main ingredient is a type of mushroom called Lion's Mane.

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
I don't know what the percentages are but I'd say it's over 50% of the homeless aare the way they are due to mental health issues. I often wonder if during the Reagan asministration if they didn't gut mental healthcare in the US that put a lot of people on the streets, would the homeless problem still be as big as it is now?
here in california, they are bringing back where a persons family can have them institutionalized if they feel they cant care for themselves on their own
i havent looked into the number of cases this has applied to but im sure the stats are out there
while i dont like the idea of incarcerating people against their will, this could be the best solution for some people

i heard nancy did that after watching a movie, one flew over the coocoos nest

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
That's not a problem I'm experiencing yet at age 64 but lots of people experience that problem as they get older. There are a number of nootropic solutions that can help with that which are based on several different types of mushrooms. I don't remember all the different types but the one that usually ends up being the main ingredient is a type of mushroom called Lion's Mane.
Can't tell you how many times I lost my phone and looked all over the house looking for it and finally realized it was in my back pocket.