What's new

The Original O'l Farts Club.

ost

Dad ran his 1913 Model T on kerosene during the depression as it was 7 cents a gallon and gasoline was 9 cents a gallon.
Jump 30 years and as a 10-year-old in 1965 gas for my minibike and burning the tan army men was 10 cent a gallon if I was willing to walk the extra 2 blocks or 11 cents if I was lazy. You took your red wagon down to the corner where the huge ivy patch was and dug up enough glass bottles to turn in at the liquor store for gas money.

Wifes parents bought a brand-new isn't built yet home in southern California for $9,347.00 in 1947 Was the largest of the 3 plans offered as a 3bdrm. They sold new 1 bed homes with 1 car garage in the same area for under 4K. Payments were $26.00 a month and included taxes and insurance.

1969 Gas was $0.23.9 at the cheapy no name gas station I filled my 63 Datsun pickup at. Held 8 gallons dead empty and $2.00 was a full tank and a pack of smokes and change back. Minium wage was $1.65 an hour and I was making 2 parking new Cadillacs at a high-end restaurant. Pour the drunks into their cars, slam the door reach in and drop it into drive.

1973 brought us the oil embargo and 3-gallon limits. Odd even fill days. Gas was $.70 cents if you could find it at all. That 335 horsepower 383 CID Roadrunner you were driving suddenly looked a lot less like fun.

Nixion took us off the gold standard and thought it was a good idea to turn China into an industrial powerhouse and it's been..... Best not to dive much deeper.

Gas in California runs $5.00 a gallon and we just got a new fifty cents "Green" tax added. During the last little gas crises, it hit over $9.00. This state used to be energy independent with enough production and refineries to keep up. Now we import over 70% and I just wonder whose pocket got filled.
most likely more than 1 got filled

Goldhedge

I dug down to the broken pipe, leaving open the question of how far back the cast iron pipe is busted up after the 120-year-old Douglas Fir's root ball it was passing through, was uprooted in a windstorm.
The best thing I ever did to a house with clay pipes was replace them with PVC.

Not sure if cast iron pipe comes in sections like clay, but the joints is where tree roots like to invade.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I have to side with you Gypsy and imiubu, I have no faith in the political system as it stands. The one and only ruler is wealth, wealth creation is the master of all.
As any detective would say - 'Just do the due dilligence - and follow the money '

* to get to the bottom of it - try and figure out who funded what atrocities - throughout history - and who does the same today - 🤔 - it does open doors of enlightenment -

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
And although we want to live our lives in peace and harmony to have the last chapter - quietly - to grow old gracefully - graciously - and gratefully -

🙏 - I do wonder about what sort of world we will be leaving to younger generations - and if they will be able to grow old too - in such a way - I hope ❤️ so -

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
And although we want to live our lives in peace and harmony to have the last chapter - quietly - to grow old gracefully - graciously - and gratefully -

🙏 - I do wonder about what sort of world we will be leaving to younger generations - and if they will be able to grow old too - in such a way - I hope ❤️ so -
Therein lies the chagrin! I worry most about my great grand kids.....................

oldmaninbc

I would like to think our children will experience a life of opportunity and peace.
Somehow there is this dystopian science fiction reality that scares me and seems possible as well.

Boo

Cabana’s bitch
Veteran
Seriously? Is this Speakers' Corner? . . . gee . . . I thought this was still just a fun thread . . . silly me . . . it seems some people have a hard time keeping political diarrhea where it belongs . . . :mad:
seriously, are you that butt hurt I posted what I felt at the moment and not where it is supposed to be...sure, I now see how it was wrong but didn't we overact there a bit sunshine...if you want an apology for where I posted it, you got it...if you're looking for my apology for the content of my post, you'll die waiting...I didn't think my post was worthy of making your butt so sore...

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
Politics.....I'm outta here.

giphy.gif

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
This is where we are heading unless it gets stopped. At least in Canada.

from everything ive heard, cuba is actually a very nice place
yes, they are poor, but they are educated poor
cuba has a literacy rate over 99%
look at how clean the streets are? where are the bums
/i live on one of the most expensive cities in the us (san diego) and its overrun with bums
plus their food is good

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user
from everything ive heard, cuba is actually a very nice place
yes, they are poor, but they are educated poor
cuba has a literacy rate over 99%
look at how clean the streets are? where are the bums
/i live on one of the most expensive cities in the us (san diego) and its overrun with bums
plus their food is good
I used to love San Diego and SF. From what I have heard they are a mess Downtown. I am sure there are sill nice places if you have $$$. Same here in Denver. Downtown is a place I don't go anymore. Sad to see. Don't understand for the life of me what are lawmakers are thinking and what their end objective.