What's new

The Original O'l Farts Club.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yesterday was the final trek over to care for my neighbors kitty.
Was a 5 wk. stint this time. I don't have cats but I do adore them.
Kinda like my neighbor too and is why I volunteer to kitty sit and water plants :)
Grayfox is currently taking care of two different cats while their owners are abroad/away. Besides feeding them and cleaning their box, she spends quality lap time with them snuggling and scratching, so of course they adore her.

Perversely, our cat Melissa selected me as her main person as a kitten, made it happen, and now 14 years later still greets me at the door and camps out in my lap when I sit, while nuzzling and getting strokes, as well as supervises me at the keyboard, et al. She pretty much ignores everyone but me, while Grayfox loves cats and covets more of her attention.

I plan to let Grayfox pick the next cat should we get one, but alas it has been my experience that cats select their new owners/staff, so it is out of our hands.
Office manager 2.jpg

Last edited:

cola

I've already done it on the things I can control, my problem is that my food budget depends on a certain amount of processed foods because I can't afford all whole foods and I have no way around sugars that find it's way into processed foods. Also I may not qualify for sugar free in many people's minds because they see sugar free as avoiding all sweeteners. I do allow myself to use certain zero calerie sweeteners and I also allow myself the use of honey. Now I might be open to the arguement that the zero calerie sweeteners disqualify me but I have a hard time accepting honey as being the same as sugar, especially once you understand the nutritonal value of honey. Of course when I say honey I don't mean just any honey. At a minimum it needs to be raw organic honey. Even better are certain types of honey harvested in very specific places in the world. The best I've heard of is called Manuka (sp?) honey. It is reported to be rich in anti oxinents and vitamins/minerals unfortunately it's pretty expensive, more then I can afford. I don't feel like honey should count because they say that natural honey is a unique food source that a person could live off of exclusively for an extended period if they have to. Of course I don't do that, I only use it once a day to sweeten an apple cider vinegar/water mixture I drink every morning. Now if your abstinance of sugar is to lose weight then I guess honey would be disqualifying.

As for dark chocolate if you allow yourself that then I don't think you would be abstaining from sugar completely because I'm pretty sure even 70% dark chocolate has some sugar mixed in. That being said there are other things in dark chocolate that are beneficial. For example they say that a small once a day serving of dark chocolate has heart healthy benefits.

Thank you for the input. My kicking sugar in coffee is really a two fold effort. I know regular doses of sugar, throughout the day (like my unprocessed organic sugar addiction in coffee) is not healthy. The body has trouble maintaining the correct blood glucose levels when you are "dosing" it all the time. I have read, and been duly warned, that this can be a setup for Type II diabetes. My A1C levels are just fine now, but I know that the regime I loved was one that can come with consequences as I get ever older. Just not worth the chance, and time to make the change. The second factor is weight. I want to trim down to a BMI of 22 again. I feel and look better at that weight.

As far as quitting / forgoing sugar entirely, that is not, and has never been my goal. A piece or two of 70 percent dark chocolate is not going to kill me, and likely not anyone else, unless perhaps diabetic. My goal is to get off of my regular habits, aka addictions. As much as I like what I was doing, with no obvious detrimental effects to date, I don't really need unhealthy distraction's in my life. Moderation for me is key. These habits evolved, so can de-evolve.

Last edited:

Goldhedge

if you are getting a lasik surgery you are good to go and its come a long way
I too had coke-bottom glasses since very young. Lasik about 22 years ago. 20/20 today long distance. Close up I have 1.5x readers.

I had a -7 diopter which is indicative of astigmatism.

Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 7.22.15 AM.png

1715693145636.png

If you consider the astigmatic eye it's a football shape.

Helpful hint:

One of the things to know about eyes is if your retina (back of the eye) ever detaches you'll want to get to an Ophthalmologist pronto, as in immediately do not pass Go...

1715693605972.png

The way you know it is detaching is it will seem like a shade is being pulled over your vision in one eye. An Ophthalmologist can laser it back in place, but time is of the essence!

If you ignore it, the other option is to get an eye patch and learn to say "Arrrgh Matey!"

Unca Walt

420club
Grayfox is currently taking care of two different cats while their owners are abroad/away. Besides feeding them and cleaning their box, she spends quality lap time with them snuggling and scratching, so of course they adore her.

Perversely, our cat Melissa selected me as her main person as a kitten, made it happen, and now 14 years later still greets me at the door and camps out in my lap when I sit, while nuzzling and getting strokes, as well as supervises me at the keyboard, et al. She pretty much ignores everyone but me, while Grayfox loves cats and covets more of her attention.

I plan to let Grayfox pick the next cat should we get one, but alas it has been my experience that cats select their new owners/staff, so it is out of our hands. View attachment 19002476
I wrote a novel around Fuzzy. It required a wireless keyboard.
1715694501508.jpeg