What's new

The Original O'l Farts Club.

imiubu

Morning Subby!

I grow in 5gal pots. Couldn't imagine the daily maintenance in 1 gal pots in flower. How could you leave to go fishing???!!!
This got me to thinking...

When I started flowering here, I had a 4x4 tent and I did love it for sure.
Due to regular City rental inspections causing me to need to tear it down
and hide plants each year... I finally just left it in the attic a couple of years
ago and reset my room. I've been using a 4ft, 8 lamp T5 fixture with full
spectrum bulbs. Adding more bloom lamps at flower, in the open room.

Soooo much easier. I was tied to my grow Nov - Mar (?) with the tent.
I do not run a fancy garden, so the tent required opening and zippering
back up each 12 hrs. Shew!

Buddage isn't quite as formidable as in the tent with my LED's but...
they are for personal use + sharing with friends. I may not grow
monster colas. I do grow pretty good herb, though I am no master.

imiubu

I had that issue too. F Apple for that HEIC. I found this works to shoot jpg’s instead.
View attachment 18998798
Wow, thx for this!

Weird as I had not changed the setting myself. I remember it was set to 'most compatible'
last time I did a run through settings. I wouldn't have changed a setting that I don't understand
anyhoo.

Hmmm wonder if it changed automatically with my most recent update?
The last batch of photos I uploaded to my PC are the only HEIC files so,
this occurred just recently and is why I was so boggled :)

Putembk

One Toke Over The Line
Premium user

and hide plants each year... I finally just left it in the attic a couple of years

Nice to be around like minded folk. No matter what kind of grow they have going!

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
As soon as I can figure out how to convert the Apple HEIC files so I can upload pix here :(
So many things to do... I've not had enough time to dedicate to figuring this out.
Eff Apple btw. Why did they have to switch up photo files? sigh.

Might have to dig out my old Nikon to take pix for uploading as all this new tech
stuff sometimes just makes my brain hurt lol
Not that I was any better taking pix with the Nikon but at least I could post
my crappy shots online :)

If anyone knows how to easily convert these HEIC type files...
I'd be grateful for an easily understandable tutorial :)
And no... I do not nor will I use my iPhone to post to the site.

I wouldn't mind sharing some garden photos on this here cannabis growing site
after all haha.
You're basically going to have to download a new or at least updated image file editing program. As near as I can tell HEIC is a fairly new image format so older programs won't have an option to convert them. There are programs that can. Just type in HEIC into your prefered search engine and it should bring up a number of options. Below is one I found when I typed HEIC into google.

https://www.nchsoftware.com/imageconverter/index.html?kw=heic&msclkid=d9f18c248e501e03791eea1ebddd7bce&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=EN-C1&utm_term=heic&utm_content=Pixillion - HEIC Converter

Last edited:

imiubu

I like it here.... every time I go to FB I get put in FB jail!
Personally... eff FB.
I've had an account for ages yet find no healthy purpose to post there. haha

There are local events Arts/ Music etc... that the easiest way to keep up to date
is through FB. Keeping up with those however doesn't require any interactions.

I did utilize it to look up an old flame to let him know one of our mutual friends
had passed. We had a nice convo as if 35yrs. hadn't passed we last spoke.
That was pretty cool :)

Most likely I too would regularly end up in FB jail as I have an extremely low
tolerance for rudeness and idiocy.

imiubu

Testing.
IMG_5910.JPG
IMG_5911.JPG

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
I actually tried growing in 1 gallon pots for the first time my last grow. I had planned to grow three plants in 7 gallon pots. One of the plants took forever to show sex and in the last minute after turning them on to flower he showed his sex. This was a healthy plant already filled out nice and about 2 ft tall. I removed him from the tent so I had some room in there so I decided to put three young clones from the trim in my other tent in its place. They got put in the flower much younger than I normally start flower. The three little 1 gallon pots needed a bit more attention, sometimes daily water/food depending on how much they drank. The three pots yielded a bit more than a single plant would have taking up the same amount of space. I was surprised that the colas were real nice. And the tent did not get any more crowded than it would have with just one plant. Because we have a plant limit here, it’s not smart for me to plan it that way but it seems I always go over a bit taking in strays in my tent. If we had no plant limit I would try 9 1 gallon plants in my 2x4 starting flower younger to see what kinda yield I would get. I’ll bet it would be more and I would have harvest much quicker than normal. I think @BubbasPlace grows in 1 gallon pots with luck sometimes.
That's the problem with the arbitrary limits local government places on growers when they legalize for people to grow their own. They set those limits in order to try to prevent people from going crazy and growing 100's of plants in an attempt to become a supplier/distributor. Which is fine and I totally get but the problem is that it seriously restricts growers from doing the most efficint grow style for their space.

When you grow from clone (has to be clone because from seed takes too long to get the plants to proper maturity and they'll outgrow 1 gallon pots) in one gallon pots you're basically growing what is known as SOG or Sea of Green style. This style works well for limited spaces like a small grow tent. Basically you put the clones in one gallon pots, give them a week or two to develope their roots and then you switch to 12/12. They'll grow another 2-3 weeks during the stretch phase and then they'll stop growing taller and start concentrating on the buds. You should end up with a plant that is about 3-4 feet tall and with some selective pruning of secondary buds you should end up with plants that are mainly just one nice big cola. As you noted several of this style will yield roughly the same of one bigger plant grown in the same space. So even though the plant numbers are technically higher the yield is about the same as what the government was trying to limit you to. Unfortunately the pencil pushers that come up with these plant restrictions have no clue what it actually takes to efficiently grow this plant. Their restrictive numbers usually doesn't take into account other efficient plant growing practices such as having mothers and growing from clone. If you were to follow the restrictions faithfully it almost forces you to grow from seed every time which can be a problem unless you're able to get feminized seeds.

Last edited:

imiubu

Don't know exactly why but the chicanery and nefarious activities here are more fun.

When I say something stupid or offensive here I am for the most part forgiven. On FB relatives never forget.
I prefer forums over other 'social media' platforms.

Currently, ICmag is the only one I am active on.
Weed and music are my top interests for online activity.
ICm for weed... YT for music where no interaction necessary ;)

I just don't have the time to be all over the interwebs.
Get stretched too thin causing less quality time spent
with what's important to me.

I prefer a more 'intimate' setting I suppose.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Dang Gypsy :(
I think we've all been anxiously awaiting an update this morning and I am sad that you suffered so :(
I can certainly empathize with your pain, having suffered migraines most my life.
So glad the ibuprofen brought relief. YAY

Withdrawal from the pain meds perhaps brought this on ya think?
Things don't seem to have got a whole lot better this day - so far - currently it's 3.23pm - and I've spent most of the day sleeping - catching up on the sleep 😴 I didn't get last night - due to the MASSIVE headache which fell upon me yesterday afternoon -

- and when I awoke - the nurse told me that the cardio-electrics-pacemaker crew - won't be fixing my loose heart-wire mistake anytime today - so that's another missed meal (due to 'nil by mouth' at lunchtime) - and another wasted day I'll have to bin - in pursuit of finally getting fixed and outa here - and home sweet home 🏡 - and I'm not even certain that I'll get sorted tomorrow - until it does get finally sorted properly - sometime in the future - even if the cardio-electricians do manage to correct their mistake tomorrow - it won't be till Thursday - when they will let me go home - so making it a WHOLE WEEK of waiting and dithering - parked up at the far end of Stephen Ward - being pumped fulla a smorgasbord of various pharmaceutical drugs - eating their VERY bland food - hanging out amongst a buncha VERY sick people - with all sorts of diseases and viruses - even sharing toilets with 'em - waiting and waiting - a-vegitating - trying to retain my sanity - whilst hoping to finally improve my health - 😀

Magu🌈

That's the problem with the arbitrary limits local government places on growers when they legalze for people to grow their own. They set those limits in order to try to prevent people from going crazy and growing 100's of plants in an attempt to become a supplier/distributor. Which is fine and I totally get but the problem is that it seriously restricts growers from doing the most efficint grow style for their space.

When you grow from clone (has to be clone because from seed takes too long to get the plants to proper maturity and they'll outgrow 1 gallon pots) in one gallon pots you're basically growing what is known as SOG or Sea of Green style. This style works well for limited spaces like a small grow tent. Basically you put the clones in one gallon pots, give them a week of two to develope their roots and then you switch to 12/12. They'll grow another 2-3 weeks during the stretch phase and then they'll stop growing taller and start concentrating on the buds. You should end up with a plant that is about 3-4 feet tall and with some selective pruning of secondary buds you should end up with plants that are mainly just one nice big cola. As you noted several of this style will yield roughly the same of one bigger plant grown in the same space. So even though the plant numbers are technically higher the yield is about the same as what the government was trying to limit you to. Unfortunately the pencil pushers that come up with these plant restrictions have no clue what it actually takes to efficiently grow this plant. Their restrictive numbers usually doesn't take into account other efficient plant growing practices such as having mothers and growing from clone. If you were to follow the restrictions faithfully it almost forces you to grow from seed every time which can be a problem unless you're able to get femenzed seeds.
I thought those plant number limits were “suggestions”. 🤔 I have about 40 plants growing in a state that allows me to have 6. 🫣 That cant be right. 🤪 It must be caused by this “ new math” that all the parents keep bitching about. 🤬

oldfogey8

I had really good results using T5’s start to finish when I first started growing. I am using some crappy LED’s now and to be honest, I don’t think they are much better(maybe a bit better penetration and mildly denser buds?). I used 10000k color temp(very blue to my eyes) lights(even had some with UV that I can’t find anymore). My plants were always short and squat which I needed since I was using a 4 ft tall tent. I even ran some Thai plants in the tent and sativas are notoriously stretchy.

Latest posts

Latest posts