The Original O'l Farts Club.

exoticrobotic

Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 05.27.18.png

Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 05.27.47.png

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
10:15 at night hopefully got the last lap done cuz it's raining here as well.
Nice to se your finally leveling out and getting it under some form of control @Gypsy Nirvana you had us worried for a few days there.
Well - it's been an unusual time for me - I've not had to stay in a hospital dormitary - or any hospital for that matter - in any capacity - in a very long time - plus having to have 3 different surgeries and other nefarious invasive treatments over a couple of weeks 😀 is very unusual for me - to say the least -

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
One of my guilty pleasures is watching dumpster divers rescue food + other items
out of dumpsters to avoid the land fill

I find waste, especially when we live in a world of food insecurity for so many;
an avoidable and abominable practice.
The fact that it's a common practice and these wasteful companies receive compensation,
IMO is not only morally criminal it should be legally criminal as well.

We really gotta figure out a 'better way' sigh.

Anyway... last summer on a whim prior to doing some shopping, I popped around the
back of the store just to survey the status of their dumpster.

Wholly shit batman!
I don't eat fruits and veggies yet I could not stop myself from pulling out everything
I could reach from the side door.

Took me about 10 min. to rescue the boxes just sitting on top.
I was so very nervous. DD isn't illegal here but... if the store wanted to though...
it is still trespassing.
15 bags of green grapes, 16 Qt's strawberries, 14 pt's blueberrys and 12 6oz. packages
of blackberries came home with me that day.

After arriving home and loading all these boxes filled with food I don't even eat,
I thought... WTH did you just do?
Better yet... WTH are you going to do with all of this beautiful food?

Well... give it away of course.

I processed everything as I always do. Removing all the bad/ moldy items,
filled the sink w/ cold water and 1C white vinegar. Wash fruits/ veggies/ berries
and their containers in the w/v solution, strain, place on a towel, dry and
repackage.

Doing this with my own purchases doesn't take long at all and saves
produce from fridge rot/ waste.
In about 2 1/2 hours time, all was re boxed and ready for neighbors to come pick up.

All and all... pretty epic first DD experience :)

I've been a few times since and have rescued more than only food times.

Tales for another day though ;)
Have you considered starting a YouTube channel if you haven't already. There are or at least were quite a few channels featuring Dumpster Diving and quite a few viewers that enjoy following those channels. Not only could you save stuff to give to people in need but you could also earn a living from it.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
It does seem like we’re fighting the same issue. Do you have any thoughts on if the buds that are trimmed but still on the plant will ripen further in the flower tent or am I just wishful thinking?
They should or you can do like someone else suggested and harvest them but give them a longer cure, buds will still ripen after harvest.

Last edited: