What's new

The Oregon Weed Thread -Grows, News and Laws and Whatever

R

Robrites

Romaine lettuce is unsafe to eat, health officials warn following new outbreak of E.

Romaine lettuce is unsafe to eat, health officials warn following new outbreak of E.

Romaine lettuce is unsafe to eat, health officials warn following new outbreak of E. coli

By Grant Butler | The Oregonian/OregonLive
[email protected]
The Oregonian/OregonLive

Romaine lettuce is unsafe to eat, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Tuesday in an alert over a new outbreak of illnesses linked to a dangerous type of E. coli.
It’s the second widespread recall of romaine lettuce this year, and comes just two days before Thanksgiving, one of the biggest food-centric holidays of the year.
The CDC is urging consumers to throw away any romaine they may have purchased, and says that restaurants shouldn’t serve it, and grocery stores should stop selling it. The warning includes whole heads, hearts of romaine, and bagged romaine. Washing lettuce will not make contaminated greens safe to eat.
The warning is for all romaine, regardless of where it was grown, which is different from the recall earlier this year that was limited to romaine grown in parts of Arizona.
According to the CDC, 32 people in 11 states have become sick from eating contaminated romaine. Of those, 13 have been hospitalized, with one patient suffering from kidney failure. The Public Health Agency of Canada has reported 18 cases of infection from the same strain of E. coli. No deaths have been reported so far.
So far, no illnesses linked to contaminated lettuce have been reported in Oregon or Washington, though multiple cases have been reported in California.
“Consumers who have any type of romaine lettuce in their home should not eat it and should throw it away, even if some of it was eaten and no one has gotten sick,” the CDC said in the Food Safety Alert issued late Tuesday morning. “If you do not know if the lettuce is romaine or whether a salad mix contains romaine, do not eat it and throw it away.”
In addition to throwing out lettuce, the CDC is advising consumers to wash and sanitize vegetable bins, cutting boards, and other surfaces that may have come in contact with romaine.
FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb says the agency didn’t have enough information to request suppliers issue a recall, but he said supermarkets and restaurants should withdraw romaine products until the contamination could be identified.
People usually become sick within three or four days of consuming food that’s been contaminated by E. coli. This particular strain of E. coli produces a toxin that can cause a type of kidney failure. Most E. coli bacteria are benign but some can cause illness, with symptoms including severe stomach cramps, diarrhea and vomiting. Most people recover within a week, but some illnesses can last longer and be more severe.
The origin of the latest outbreak is unknown, the CDC reports.
Five people died and there were 210 cases in 36 states in the outbreak from contaminated romaine earlier this year. Investigators never conclusively determined the precise source of the outbreak beyond the general growing region of Yuma, Arizona.
This story will be updated as more information about the E. coli outbreak is available.

R

Robrites

Springfield man who hid pot in styrofoam rocks pleads guilty to possession charge

Springfield man who hid pot in styrofoam rocks pleads guilty to possession charge

By Elliot Njus
[email protected]

A Springfield man who prosecutors said tried to overnight more than 100 pounds of marijuana to Oklahoma concealed in styrofoam rocks pleaded guilty Tuesday to a federal drug charge.
Curran Millican Manzer, 37, faces up to 20 years in prison, a $1 million fine and three years of supervised release. He also agreed to forfeit any criminal proceeds and property used to commit crimes.
Manzer first attracted attention from authorities in September 2017, when workers at the delivery company UPS reported several packages he had shipped to Oklahoma City smelled like marijuana, court records show. Manzer sent a second set of packages, also believed to contain marijuana, a month later.
At the same time, several packages containing stacks of cash were shipped by UPS to Manzer’s Springfield home. UPS workers who opened the packages estimated they contained between $40,000 and $50,000 dollars, court documents say.
Springfield police obtained a warrant to search Manzer’s packages and staked out a local UPS store waiting for him to make another shipment. When Manzer arrived Nov. 10, police watched him drop off six packages to be shipped to Oklahoma.
When officers opened the boxes, they found six large Styrofoam rocks that contained a total of 143 pounds of marijuana.
Billy J. Williams, Oregon’s U.S. attorney, said in a statement that overproduction of marijuana in the state, and resulting falling prices, have many producers looking for a market outside of the state. He’s said that stopping the illegal export of marijuana from Oregon to other states is a priority for his office.
Manzer pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court in Eugene to possession with intent to distribute marijuana. He is scheduled to be sentenced in February before Judge Ann Aiken.

R

Robrites

A look inside Jim Belushi's 93-acre cannabis farm in Southern Oregon

A look inside Jim Belushi's 93-acre cannabis farm in Southern Oregon

Five summers ago, actor and musician Jim Belushi came from Los Angeles to rescue the neglected Elks Lodge picnic grounds in Southern Oregon. He repaired the old structures, built a vacation home on a bend in the Rogue River and became the community's most famous fundraisers. Now he's growing cannabis and he has a plan to save us from opioid addiction, starting with a pop-up pot dispensary in downtown Portland. What drives him? “Quiet time,” said the 64-year-old performer on Sunday while watching fishermen cast from his riverbank, "is overrated." Here's a tour of the 93-acre farm in Eagle Point that keeps him so busy.

[youtubeif]3Wn_G9JQ-j8[/youtubeif]

R

Robrites

Oregon needs separate agency to regulate legal marijuana, report finds

Oregon needs separate agency to regulate legal marijuana, report finds

SALEM — The Oregon Cannabis Commission is recommending the state set up an independent agency to regulate legal marijuana rather than having three different agencies share the job, a newspaper reported Tuesday.
Marijuana is currently regulated by the Oregon Health Authority, the Oregon Liquor Control Commission and the Oregon Department of Agriculture, but their responsibilities also include public health, alcohol and crop services.
The Statesman Journal obtained a draft report through a public records request that says having three agencies manage marijuana creates confusion and each agency has a different mindset about how to address cannabis.
Law enforcement officials and growers also find the multi-agency approach "confusing and difficult to navigate," the report said.
The lines regarding who's responsible for what have changed over time.
Certain medical growers were required as of July 1 to use the OLCC's Cannabis Tracking System, which recreational licensees also use. To help track medical marijuana, the OLCC in August revealed it planned to seek $7 million per biennium in recreational pot tax money from the 2019 Legislature.
Mark Pettinger, a spokesman for the OLCC, told the newspaper he had heard mention of the new agency recommendation, but said it was "not our issue to comment on."
The cannabis commission was formed by the 2017 Legislature.
Jonathan Modie, spokesman for the Oregon Health Authority, stressed the recommendation is still a draft. The cannabis commission meets Nov. 27 via conference call to discuss recommendations included in the draft report.
If the commission approves the recommendation, Modie said, the report will presented to a legislative committee when the session begins.
Jim Moore, a political science professor at Pacific University, said proposals like this usually come about after an audit reveals problems, but this one appears to be spontaneous.
“I think it will have good political support,” he said.
– The Associated Press

R

Robrites

Oregon Takes 1st Major Step Toward Legalizing Psychedelic Mushrooms

Oregon Takes 1st Major Step Toward Legalizing Psychedelic Mushrooms

Oregon’s attorney general has approved language for a ballot measure to make psychedelic mushrooms legal.
The measure would reduce criminal penalties for the manufacture, delivery and possession of psilocybin — the hallucinogen contained in psychedelic mushrooms.
In a tweet, the Oregon Psilocybin Society said it will start gathering the 140,000 necessary signatures in December, to get the measure onto the ballot in 2020.
***CAMPAIGN UPDATE*** The Psilocybin Service Initiative of Oregon has been titled! In December PSI will begin gathering the 140K signatures to get it on the 2020 ballot. Learn how YOU can support this historical campaign from anywhere on earth by visiting https://t.co/SSctPRz10r. pic.twitter.com/WriRHrquSl
— OPS (@opsbuzz) November 23, 2018
The number of signatures required is nearly equal to the population of Salem.
On its website, the society says there’s a growing body of evidence the drug is safe and effective to treat things like depression, anxiety, PTSD and, ironically, drug addiction.
Oregon has a history with mushrooms. The author and Eugene counterculture figure Ken Kesey participated in government studies of hallucinogens in the 1960s.
ap_070802041973_1543532917420.jpg
Psychedelic mushrooms are seen in a grow room at the Procare farm in Hazerswoude, central Netherlands on this Aug. 3, 2007 file photo.
Peter Dejong/AP

The federal government controlled use of mushrooms in the 1970s.
A spokeswoman for Oregon’s top prosecutor, Attorney General Ellen Rosenblum, said the agency doesn’t typically comment on ballot measures.
A similar effort to legalize in California failed recently.

R

Robrites

First marijuana-infused, unisex perfume launching in Portland

First marijuana-infused, unisex perfume launching in Portland

It's called Imeon, named for the Hindu word for the Kush mountain range between Afghanistan and Pakistan, because the perfume uses the strain of marijuana called Purple Hindu Kush.

PORTLAND, Ore. — A local perfume company has the perfect gift idea for some people on your list. The first-ever perfume, for men or women, made with the essential oils from marijuana.
It's called Imeon, named for the Hindu word for the Kush mountain range between Afghanistan and Pakistan, because the perfume uses the strain of marijuana called Purple Hindu Kush. There's no THC in it.
It's made by Olo, a small, Portland-based perfume company. For 10 years, they've been making beautiful scents with sandalwood, rose, jasmine, and all kinds of the usual and unusual flavors. The scents are popular sellers in the fashion boutiques of New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Paris.
Cannabis terpenes are the base for the fragrance, and there's also lemon, tobacco, and frankincense added to it. The owner of Olo met the Portland owner of Quill vaporizer smoking pens, and the two crafted this idea to make this perfume over the past year.
The developers describe it as elegant. It smells very woodsy and warm with notes of lemon. It's for women and men.

herbgreen

Veteran
Those mushrooms are sometimes the only thing effective on cluster headaches

people need medicine that works on a deeper level

mushrooms do that and its a right to explore and enjoy

Dawgfunk

Right on, my brothers and sisters. This is where I like to come to get my news :) Thanks, Robrites! Funny, I remember when I was walking in NE Portland one day and came across some transients, stopped and smoked a bowl and got to talking about the mushroom campaign. It was hard to believe for a second, actually almost didn’t...but then not a week later, there was an article that popped up in the paper about it. Good to see positive strides being taken up here in the pnw! Looks like the mirror portals are opening and we’re finally waking up!

HorseMouth

Please find and discuss the Oregrown dispensary article and the law suits that are stemming from it. Its in the Bend Bulletin. Let this be an advisory tale to all who read it. I saw the initial Instagram when it was posted.

Peace

Dankwolf

Please find and discuss the Oregrown dispensary article and the law suits that are stemming from it. Its in the Bend Bulletin. Let this be an advisory tale to all who read it. I saw the initial Instagram when it was posted.

Peace

I am pretty sure there was a post in the last few pages about it . has there situation changed?

Mengsk

Whatever happened there the fallout with money is just ugly. After four years the owners are suing the grower partner and blaming one person for the business' (dispensary) collapse. Even if we don't know the real details four years of failure under wraps isn't great publicity. The article I read discussing the lawsuit starts to sound like a custody battle or divorce court. Two business partners have named the third grower partner as totally responsible for the business failure or in other words money loss. And they are basically accusing him of returning to being a black market grower, who is the person they hired in the beginning. When they are arguing in court how they are losing profit because the black market grower they hired performed as expected or duck quacks like a duck it's a duck, it's interesting to read.

If I share 2c it's risky because we don't know what happened. In any event if they were having failed crop after failed crop you wonder why it took four years and what all business dealings the company participated in outside of selling their own grown product might be important.

Somewhere I am imagining a circle of people who all don't grow, all have no buds of their own, and they are all blaming one guy for not growing enough weed and making everyone more money. Think about that for a second. Even if the grower totally sucked objectively, this is still a lawsuit where every single person in the entire room and on all of the paperwork is blaming the grower. Every single entity except for this one guy, they have all turned against him. I believe that's what it means let this be a lesson. You are the only valuable person in the entire operation, or let's say you're the most valuable. And what happens is you end up with your name at the wrong end, the losing end or zero end of a court case. And every single person including the judge and lawyers has teamed up against you. Chances are the other two business partners plan on keeping their money and positions. And they are going to slander the grower and tell him to kick rocks.

The philosophical part, I am not sure if people are like incapable of growing they don't know how, or they are unwilling to don't want to put in that work. Because if being a skilled grower is that rare or that valuable then it might be equally frustrating for these business partners when they can't find one. As it is for a grower having to deal with every single person in the business and supply chain not being a producer. If you are the grower everyone else might seem like a leech even if they set you up with a decent room and equipment. Not saying it is universally true but it can feel that way. You are the only person harvesting plants for sale. And they are harvesting you basically. You're the one directly creating the source of income and here we see this person treated as the peasant or very bottom or the bad guy.

While the Oregon thread above this one is about the state attorney arresting a man for transporting cannabis to Oklahoma. Right, we have a lawsuit where people are fighting about money, and next town over a cannabis grower imprisoned, where the sheriff is stating how they want to crack down on growing because it is upsetting the recreational cannabis market. I get it you can be locked up for tax evasion. But this looks like a circus man people pointing all kinds of fingers at each other.

Last edited:

HorseMouth

The grower in that article that's gotten booted out signed a non-competition clause and is moving out of state to grow.

I bought my first 600 HPS light in 1996, and without seeming like an asshole who knows everything, this is my take. All the strains, beta testing, Indoor/outdoor runs, the troubleshooting, and the persecution has formed the grower that is typing this.

I saw my first light dep in a drained swimming pool in the late Nineties, and dont have the time to describe the volume of grows and finished product i have handled, smoked, vaped, turned into ice hash (If it don't bubble, its not worth the trouble) and etc...

With this background, and the respect to everyone on this ICMag website I want you guys to understand this as clearly as possible.

Their are no where near enough quality growers who love to produce top flowers no matter what it takes.

For the last few years as the price of finished product has bottomed out, I have watched as grower after grower has abandoned this way of life. Not a single one of these growers was top notch in my book. Without fail, these guys/girls couldn't produce a single top quality strain for 3 consecutive harvests, there was no continuity of quality or interest for more than a few months. I cannot even describe the amount of times i recommended to just grow 2 strains of known quality for 2 years straight (mostly to perfect the process) and not jump from strain to strain, chasing something that doesn't exist.

To all you growers out there, To become a master you will need 10,000 hours of time in your craft. This is hands on time, not just time the plants have been growing.

Please continue practicing your craft and dont get discouraged. I always say when I'm looking at Ganja 'The bag doesnt lie'. If you are good, and are getting better and achieving the steps it takes to become a master, you will not go hungry in this business.

I went into Tokyo Star Fish a few weeks ago (dispensary, Bend, OR.) and was so dissapointed in 75% of what was on the shelf. I went in because I heard they had 9 lb. Hammer, a pineapple cross, Canna Tsu, and some Ms.Jill strains.

Only the pinapple was of any quality, the rest was shit. How does this taint other people to those strains when they arent produced up to standard?

The Grower is where this entire industry starts and stops. Don't get discouraged, keep practicing and keep your head up.

Peace

Last edited:

OregonBorn

Bring on the egos... drumroll Anton!

You need more than just a grower in this biz. You need financial backing, you need a good staff, you need to grow in an area where people are not suing you for losses in property value, you need luck with weather if you grow outdoors, you need land in a location that allows growing in a county that is not out to ban it (Jo. Co.) and you need buyers. You also need quality genetics of strains that the market will buy. Dunno, I have been growing since the 1970s myself. I have the strains, financial backing, available staff, and the land and the water rights, but I cannot get a forking license now. Its bottled up at the state level. And the county wants more stuff done to the point now that it is not feasible. Never mind the low prices for weed now, I doubt that I could make a profit even with PERFECT GROWING RESULTS. The overhead with electric rates and increasing minimum wages is just too high. I can grow weed that I would put up against any out there. It is still not enough though.

This business is heading in one direction. People want oil and pre-rolled joints. It will all become branded and off the shelf. BIG money is pouring in now. Tobacco, pharmacy and alcohol companies will buy all the licenses and grow in giant warehouses. Small growers simply do not stand a chance longer term. The margins are thin, and continuing to get thinner. At first this looked easy. Too easy. But prices have fallen off a cliff since then. Sure everything is crap at the stores. I grow way better stuff. But that is what you are up against anyway. Mediocrity wins out. Any plant can be rendered for oil, even moldy weed. And if weed becomes legal at the international level, as it seems to be doing now? You will be up against imports. Canada is legal and now Mexico will be legal soon. Laws keep changing. Rules and regulations keep changing. The markets keep changing. I am a larger medical grower no longer. I just grow my own again on one card. Its all top shelf. I have some new quality hybrids. There are no markets for either though, 'cept the black one. That will also be going away.

Last edited:

HorseMouth

Didn't mean to make an ego trip out of anything, im just trying to be an emotional cheerleader and positive boost on growers who want to keep at it and produce a quality product.

OregonBorn- I'm bummed that you cant turn a profit right now, I will say a quick prayer and sacrifice a chicken in your name at the next killing. Why don't you embrace your roots and just join the black market like in the past, it should be a hold over till you get your feet under you.

I have 3 jobs part time jobs, and growing Ganja is only one of them. The constant house framing at 25 hours a week keeps me fit, and in good W2's, and the CSA's are just gravy.

My sideways step was going into Light Dep, and absolutely dominating July, August and September. After getting killed in November, December and January in the past.

Good Luck as always. Any one of our successes should be a reflection on all of our successes. Cheer and root for each other to make it, and it will be you someday who comes out on top, if only for a short period of time.

Peace

R

Robrites

Be Careful - Stay Safe

Be Careful - Stay Safe

Teen trio accused of murder in Vancouver-area strip mall marijuana robbery

Three teenage boys are accused in the killing of an 18-year-old lured to a Vancouver-area strip mall on Monday to be robbed of his marijuana, authorities say.
Oriley J. Huynh and Tristan A. Cienguegos, both 15, are accused of first-degree murder and Terrance J. Busby, 17, of second-degree murder in the death of Gage A. Kiser.
Court documents allege Cienguegos agreed to buy marijuana from Kiser on Snapchat, and the pair settled on meeting near Northeast Highway 99 and 63rd Street in Hazel Dell. But Cienguegos never intended to pay. Busby drove Cienguegos and Huynh to the meetup. As Cienguegos ran away with the marijuana, Huynh fired five shots at Kiser, hitting him four times, according to the court filings.
Kiser had gone to the meetup with his brother and two other teens. Kiser died at the scene.
The Oregonian/OregonLive typically identifies juveniles accuses of serious crimes, such as murder.
Busby appeared Wednesday in Clark County Superior Court charged as an adult. Huynh and Cienguegos appeared Thursday in the county’s juvenile court.
Kiser’s brother told Clark County detectives that his sibling often arranged to sell marijuana via Snapchat, according to a probable cause affidavit. He said that after Kiser tried to stop Cienguegos and Huynh from running away with the marijuana, Huynh shot Kiser with a handgun. Kiser's brother said Huynh and Cienguegos got into a black car that then sped out of the strip mall parking lot, the affidavit said.
The other teens with Kiser and another witness gave investigators similar accounts of what happened. One of the teens said he recognized the driver as “Terrance,” the affidavit said.
Detectives later determined Busby was likely the person mentioned and learned that two black Mercedes cars were registered to his family. Officers saw Busby park one of the cars near his home, then get into another car driven by a relative, according to the court papers. A detective followed Busby and the relative to an apartment after they left.
Busby was arrested later on Monday. Investigators learned the license plates on the car Busby was driving during the shooting had been switched at some point. Busby had been seen on Snapchat two days before the shooting with a black revolver believed to have been used to kill Kiser, the affidavit said.
A review of Kiser’s Snapchat activity through his phone helped investigators identify Cienguegos. Kiser’s brother and the two other teens who witnessed the shooting also identified Cienguegos as the prospective buyer when detectives showed them a photo of him, the affidavit said.
Rumors that Huynh was the shooter helped link him to the shooting, court papers said. Investigators also believed he matched descriptions witnesses gave of the shooter.
Cienguegos and Huynh were arrested Wednesday. Huynh admitted to police that he shot Kiser after seeing him reach toward the center console in his Jeep, the affidavit said. He said he fired until the gun was out of bullets.
Huynh told investigators that although he never saw Kiser with a gun, he shot Kiser to protect himself, the affidavit said. He confirmed the plan all along was to rob Kiser.
-- Everton Bailey Jr.

https://www.oregonlive.com/clark-co...couver-area-strip-mall-marijuana-robbery.html