What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Oregon Weed Thread -Grows, News and Laws and Whatever

R

Robrites

ENTERPRISE: Water equivalent numbers good in NE Oregon

ENTERPRISE: Water equivalent numbers good in NE Oregon

Cold and snowy weather in the first half of March bolstered Oregon’s mountain snowpack and delayed melting in most areas, according to the April Water Supply Outlook Report released today by the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service.

Thanks to March snow storms, many monitoring sites across the state have reached or surpassed normal peak snowpack levels for this time of year—a much improved outlook compared to last year, when more than half of these sites were snow-free on April 1.

Today’s data shows snowpack levels ranging from slightly below normal to slightly above normal across all basins in the state. In western Oregon, snowpack is the lowest in the Willamette Basin at 80 percent of normal; while in eastern Oregon, the lowest snowpack is in the Malheur Basin, at 69 percent of normal. Today’s cumulative statewide average snowpack is 92 percent of normal.

Despite the cold weather in the first two weeks of March, the last two weeks have been warm and dry throughout Oregon—which has led to the onset of spring snowmelt in most locations across the state. NRCS hydrologists are still predicting near-normal or above-normal streamflows this summer, but they caution that those predictions hinge on air temperature.

“Air temperatures are critical right now— if we have a sunny and warm spring, the snowpack will melt faster and irrigation demands will start sooner,” said Scott Oviatt, NRCS Oregon snow survey supervisor. “However, if we have cooler mountain temperatures and another wet month, we could preserve the snowpack for a few more weeks, delay irrigation demand, and boost reservoir levels in the regions of the state that are still recovering from the 2015 drought.”

According to the April report, streamflow forecasts call for near normal to above normal volumes for the summer water supply season. The highest forecasts are for the Rogue and Umpqua River Basins. If extended warm and dry conditions occur, summer projections could decrease due to early snowmelt runoff.

The latest information on Oregon’s streamflow forecasts can be found in the April Water Supply Outlook Report available on the NRCS Oregon website.
http://www.myeasternoregon.com/2016/04/08/enterprise-water-equivalent-numbers-good-in-ne-oregon/

P

phr3d0m2gr0

When does everyone put their clones/vegged plants outdoors here in Portland? I have one plant that's getting pretty big for my small indoor light, but I think I'll need to wait until May or June?

R

Robrites

When does everyone put their clones/vegged plants outdoors here in Portland? I have one plant that's getting pretty big for my small indoor light, but I think I'll need to wait until May or June?
Mothers Day has always worked for me.

Phenome

-
ICMag Donor
May is when I would put it out. You could try putting it out early but i wouldn't. If you don't have a choice, make sure to "harden off" the plant. Bring it outside in shaded areas not in direct sunlight during the day. Then at night bring it back inside into its room. Do this for a couple weeks with your light cycle of your room copied to the outdoor light cycle you will be exposing it to and you'll be good.

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

At your latitude I would wait to June.

I am here at 39*N and I put out hardened off clones in first week of June.

minds_I

R

Robrites

Oregon marijuana by the numbers

Oregon marijuana by the numbers

Here's a snapshot of Oregon's marijuana market:

418: Registered medical marijuana dispensaries statewide

167: Dispensaries in Portland

3: Dispensaries facing state "enforcement action" for rule violations since recreational marijuana sales began in October

850: Recreational marijuana licenses that the state expects to issue this year across Oregon

1,200 to 2,000: Recreational marijuana license applications that the state expects to receive this year. The agency will issue six types of licenses: producer, wholesaler, processor, retailer, lab and researcher.

12: Oregon Liquor Control Commission employees working on processing and investigating recreational marijuana applications

$3.48 million: Taxes collected from January sales of recreational marijuana

19 counties and 81 cities: Local governments opting out of recreational marijuana sales

Girl Scout Cookies: Top-selling strain in Oregon

$13.67: Average price per gram on the recreational market, which is taxed.

$10.96: Average price per gram on the medical market, which is untaxed.

72,937: Medical marijuana patients in Oregon

Unlimited: The amount of dried marijuana flowers you can possess without facing a felony. The Oregon Legislature has made it a misdemeanor to possess more than 2 pounds. Criminal defense lawyers note, however, that possession of a large amount of marijuana may prompt a drug distribution accusation.

http://www.oregonlive.com/marijuana/index.ssf/2016/04/oregon_marijuana_by_the_number.html#incart_m-rpt-2

PDX Dopesmoker

I wonder what fraction of the 850 licenses they plan to issue for rec are growers? Even with the larger canopies available to rec growers, I think it will take more than a few hundred of them to supply demand for the state.
Lets make a guestimate:
guess 25% of the licensees are grows.
They each have 500 square meters to work with so they should be about to turn out about 2000lbs a year of flower each. Nice operation if you're getting $1500 a pound, but is that enough weed for Oregon?
2000lbs x 212.5 growers is less than half a million pounds of flower leaving the recreational dispensaries only 50 grams of flower per Oregonian per year and thats before they take out the fraction of the flower supply used to make nug run dabbage. Are we going to have ration cards? I personally go through substantially more than 50g in a month, what if the state runs out of weed because of me and my ilk?

R

Robrites

I wonder what fraction of the 850 licenses they plan to issue for rec are growers? Even with the larger canopies available to rec growers, I think it will take more than a few hundred of them to supply demand for the state.
Lets make a guestimate:
guess 25% of the licensees are grows.
They each have 500 square meters to work with so they should be about to turn out about 2000lbs a year of flower each. Nice operation if you're getting $1500 a pound, but is that enough weed for Oregon?
2000lbs x 212.5 growers is less than half a million pounds of flower leaving the recreational dispensaries only 50 grams of flower per Oregonian per year and thats before they take out the fraction of the flower supply used to make nug run dabbage. Are we going to have ration cards? I personally go through substantially more than 50g in a month, what if the state runs out of weed because of me and my ilk?
This is a major crisis waiting to happen. Thank God there are still guerrilla growers waiting in the wings to save the day.

PDX Dopesmoker

This is a major crisis waiting to happen. Thank God there are still guerrilla growers waiting in the wings to save the day.

The OLCC is charging about 8% tax for their alcohol retailers and for that the OLCC assures the retailers' supply and even negotiates a good price for them. Cannabis retailers are charged 25% and what services do they get in exchange? I think the OLCC would be irresponsible if they aren't planning to create or purchase a large cannabis reserve of their own so that they can control prices in the event of a crisis. Otherwise if they're going to limit recreational grows to an irrationally small amount of space it risks causing the supply chain to fail which would be the end of most retailers. If the retailers go out of business then there won't be any tax revenue and OLCC salaries come directly out of cannabis sales tax revenue.
I bet our saintly and competent public servants who are regulating cannabis for our benefit out of the goodness of their own hearts might not come to work for free every day when their salaries dry up and that will be the end of regulated cannabis in Oregon.

mid May if you're keeping your clones at no more than 18 hours of light be sure to harden them off before placing outdoors

R

Robrites

Federal authorities allege Eugene coffee kiosk owner used business as front for lucra

Federal authorities allege Eugene coffee kiosk owner used business as front for lucra

Federal authorities allege Eugene coffee kiosk owner used business as front for lucrative pot distribution ring

The owner of a now-shuttered coffee kiosk in Eugene’s Whiteaker neighborhood faces a federal money laundering charge for allegedly using the business as a front for an interstate marijuana distribution ring that authorities say netted him and his associates more than $1 million.

Federal prosecutors on Monday filed charges against Eric L. Scully; his mother, Joan M. Scully; and his girlfriend, Krystin M. Livingston.

Lawyers for the suspects all declined comment when contacted Tuesday.

Scully owned and operated the Blac Sheep coffee kiosk at 795 W. Sixth Ave., which authorities say was rarely open and whose business records show “little to no coffee bean purchases” in 2013 and 2014, according to charging documents filed in U.S. District Court in Eugene.

An investigation began after a source told Lane County drug agents in April 2013 that the kiosk served as a financial front for laundering proceeds from the illegal sale of marijuana, court records assert.

Police arrested all three suspects in January 2015 for alleged violations of state law, but Lane County prosecutors declined to file formal charges as the investigation continued.

Federal prosecutors now allege that Eric Scully operated a minimum of three marijuana gardens in the Eugene-Springfield area, with a goal of harvesting 750 pounds of pot after eight-week growing cycles.

Scully registered one of the grow sites with the Oregon Medical Marijuana Program, falsely purporting the operation was in conformance with state law, prosecutors allege.

While Oregon now regulates the production, sale and use of marijuana for medical and recreational purposes, pot remains illegal under federal law.

The government also accuses Scully of shipping packaged marijuana through the U.S. Postal Service to other states, including Arizona, Arkansas, Tennessee, South Carolina, Missouri, Georgia and California. His business associates in those states then sold pot on his behalf and returned the proceeds to him, prosecutors allege.

To avoid detection, Scully and Livingston sent marijuana through the mail using a fake name and address, the charging documents assert.

Scully and his associates allegedly made more than $1 million from marijuana sales. The money financed the grow operation and also “facilitated spending sprees” in which Scully and others bought items including high-end watches, jewelry, weapons, clothing, motorcycles and other vehicles, and real estate, prosecutors allege.

Scully’s mother and girlfriend helped him “in all aspects of daily operations,” according to the charging documents.

The suspects allegedly used a variety of methods to launder money after receiving cash proceeds from pot sales. One strategy involved depositing cash into Scully’s business bank account under the guise that the cash was derived from coffee sales, prosecutors allege.

Scully is the only suspect in the case facing a money laundering charge. He is also charged, along with Livingston, with using a fictitious name and address to mail marijuana to other states.

Joan Scully, meanwhile, faces one count of structuring for allegedly making successive bank deposits of less than $10,000, in order to avoid triggering a federal law that requires financial institutions to report to the Internal Revenue Service any deposit totaling $10,000 or more.

In the charging documents filed Monday, the government asserts that upon conviction, Eric and Joan Scully would be required to forfeit more than $180,000, two motorcycles, firearms, watches, gold jewelry, gold and silver coins and a property in the 32000 block of Hidden Meadows Drive in southeast Eugene.

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/34259747-75/story.csp

R

Robrites

Bud Tender: An Emerging Occupation in Oregon

Bud Tender: An Emerging Occupation in Oregon

In July 2015, with the passage of ballot measure 91, adults 21 and older could legally possess and consume cannabis within private residences. Starting in October 2015, medical marijuana dispensaries were allowed to sell limited quantities of cannabis flowers or "buds" to any adult 21 and older. We joined Washington and Colorado and most recently Alaska as the only states where adults could possess and consume limited quantities marijuana without fear of prosecution by law enforcement.

Now that Oregon voters have approved legalization, and the federal government, so far, has allowed states to adopt their own laws regarding cannabis, there are currently 413 registered dispensaries where marijuana can be obtained as of March 2016, according to a database maintained by the Oregon Health Authority who oversees the OMMP. Currently, medical dispensaries are allowed to sell to recreational customers. The Oregon Liquor Control Commission is charged with establishing rules and regulations regarding the recreational marijuana industry.

Introducing … the Bud Tender

Marijuana dispensaries are the storefront of the marijuana industry, and the occupation most common in those establishments is a cannabis dispensary technician, also known as a "bud tender." Those are the people who stand behind the counter with a dizzying array of cannabis flower varieties that are available for sale. But if you want a job as bud tender, don't think just because you have smoked a lot of pot for many years, you have what it takes to sell weed, legally.

According to dispensary owners, at the end the day, it's a retail business and the same attributes you would want in someone selling shoes at a shoe store are similar to what you would want in someone working behind the counter at a marijuana store. Employers expect their bud tenders to have excellent customer service skills and be very knowledgeable about the products they are offering.
Read the rest https://www.qualityinfo.org/-/bud-tender-an-emerging-occupation-in-oregon

R

Robrites

New report looks at jobs, wages created by Oregon's new pot industry

New report looks at jobs, wages created by Oregon's new pot industry

Oregon's legal marijuana market so far has translated into an estimated 2,100 retail jobs and could amount to $46 million in wages this year, though many of the jobs are part time and lack benefits, according to a new report prepared by two Portland-based industry insiders.

They attempt to examine the economic impact of the state's newly regulated cannabis industry.

Sam Chapman, a marijuana industry consultant and lobbyist, and Beau Whitney, an economist and executive with a dispensary and processing company, said they focused on the retail aspect of the burgeoning regulated market, noting that it's off to a "strong start."

Based on their survey of dispensaries, the pair estimate that overall monthly sales jumped from a total of nearly $11 million last September for medical marijuana only to about $23 million in October, when recreational marijuana sales began.

Two state economists said the report's estimates on jobs and wages generally confirm their own analyses, but they hope to offer a more comprehensive look at the issue after crunching official employment and tax return data.

Brian Rooney, an economist with the Oregon Employment Department, said it's difficult to project how many jobs the marijuana market will ultimately create, adding that early indications suggest the regulated pot industry "will initially employ a few thousand workers, but not up into the tens of thousands."

Oregon lawmakers gave medical marijuana dispensaries the go-ahead to sell a limited amount of flower and plants to people 21 and older starting last October. The state will officially launch a regulated recreational marijuana industry later this year.

Rooney said a state survey conducted last year found that medical marijuana dispensary workers, on average, earn $11.96 an hour.
Read more http://www.oregonlive.com/marijuana/index.ssf/2016/04/new_report_looks_at_jobs_wages.html

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
Just bought my tickets for the Cultivation Classic. Seems like it will be an interesting event. I'm looking forward to see what the quality of the flowers is like. If anyone else is going to be there, just shoot me a PM and lets see if we can link up. They stated they'll be measuring the carbon footprint of the flowers as well. Hopefully lots of good information about producing somewhat sustainable quality cannabis.

I'll be bringing some seeds with me, and some sour beers from down here.

R

Robrites

Just bought my tickets for the Cultivation Classic. Seems like it will be an interesting event. I'm looking forward to see what the quality of the flowers is like. If anyone else is going to be there, just shoot me a PM and lets see if we can link up. They stated they'll be measuring the carbon footprint of the flowers as well. Hopefully lots of good information about producing somewhat sustainable quality cannabis.

I'll be bringing some seeds with me, and some sour beers from down here.
We have a tiny brewery here...they make a killer ESG and an even better IPA. Now they have a sour beer. What, dear friend, is a sour beer?

R

Robrites

Washington County has 100 requests pending for commercial marijuana

Washington County has 100 requests pending for commercial marijuana

Applicants await county land use statements, state licenses.

Even as Washington County reviews 100 requests connected with commercial growing of marijuana for recreational use, county commissioners say they are not now inclined to add to the regulations they approved last fall.

Chairman Andy Duyck says he has no problem with changing the county ordinance to reflect recent state actions and require staff review with notice of buildings or other structures proposed in connection with grow operations.’

“But as far as where we prohibit it, voters across this county voted for marijuana (in 2014’s Measure 91); it does not matter what district you live in,” Duyck said.

“If I can grow agricultural products in an agricultural area, and I can also grow them in my garden in town, then I should be able to grow marijuana in my garden in town as well.”

Duyck echoed a comment by Commissioner Dick Schouten, who said that while state law empowers counties to regulate the time, place and manner of commercial production of marijuana for recreational use, “I do not believe we should play games.”

They made their comments Tuesday (April 12) after a briefing by the county planning staff, which has received 100 requests for land use compatibility statements in connection with proposed commercial growing of marijuana for recreational use.

The applicants await not only the county land use statements but also licenses from the Oregon Liquor Control Commission. Of those applications, 99 are for production — 93 outside urban growth boundaries, six inside — and just one is for a dispensary.

Although OLCC figures do not quite match those of the county, its 96 license applications from Washington County trail only those from Multnomah, 138; Jackson, 111, and Clackamas, 99.

Washington County currently has about two dozen medical-marijuana dispensaries, 16 of which also sell marijuana for recreational use under temporary licenses, that are overseen by the Oregon Health Authority. But just seven of those 25 medical-marijuana dispensaries are in urban unincorporated areas under county authority; the others are within cities.

Senior planner Stephen Shane told commissioners that the 99 requests for commercial production of marijuana for recreational use are evenly distributed throughout the county.

Washington County combined regulation of marijuana facilities for medical and recreational uses in a single ordinance.

Under the ordinance, which the commissioners adopted in October, retail stores must be 1,000 feet away from other retail stores, schools, and specified locations operated by Tualatin Hills Park and Recreation District.
http://pamplinmedia.com/pt/9-news/301936-179843-washington-county-has-100-requests-pending-for-commercial-marijuana

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
We have a tiny brewery here...they make a killer ESG and an even better IPA. Now they have a sour beer. What, dear friend, is a sour beer?

Sour beers are an old style of beer that has been growing in popularity recently. I've found that lots of people who enjoy cannabis also enjoy sour beers. There are all sorts of variations, but the basics are as follows.

"At one time, all beers were sour to some degree. As pure yeast cultures were not available, the starter used from one batch to another usually contained some wild yeast and bacteria.[1] Unlike modern brewing, which is done in a sterile environment to guard against the intrusion of wild yeast,[2] sour beers are made by intentionally allowing wild yeast strains or bacteria into the brew. Traditionally, Belgian brewers allowed wild yeast to enter the brew naturally through the barrels or during the cooling of the wort in a coolship open to the outside air [3] – an unpredictable process that many modern brewers avoid"

There are all sorts of great sours being made out there. DeGarde out in Tillamook is very popular. I don't drink very much, but with the sours it's more of a taste thing. It's hard to actually drink a lot of them, because they are very acidic and that can really upset your stomach.

Latest posts

Latest posts