What's new

The Official MMA Discussion

bens lab

Cyborg looks like she used to be a man. She is pretty scary and has powerful standup, Gina could be in for a bit of a beating, but I think it will be a war.

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wow Cyborg is an animal!! hahaha this is going to be good! I hope Carano can hold her own!

NateDizz

- Dan Henderson -vs- Rich Franklin II is set for UFC 103 at 205 pounds again.

Also on the card will be...

- Mike Swick -vs- Martin Kampmann with the winner getting the next shot at St. Pierre.
- Josh Koscheck -vs- Frank Trigg in Trigg's return to the octagon at welterweight. Kind of surprised that he won't be fighting at middleweight..?
- Junior Dos Santos -vs- Mirko Filipovic - a must win for Mirko that will put his name back into the heavyweight picture but Dos Santos is looking like a legitimate future contender. Should be a war.
- Sean Sherk -vs- Gleison Tibau - Sherk really needs to win this one if he wants to be considered a top 10 guy anymore, a great opportunity for Tibau

Another amazing card.

NateDizz

The next Strikeforce event is looking sharp with the four title fights.

Female 145 Championship - Gina Carano -vs- Christiane Santos
Lightweight Championship - a rematch between Josh Thomson and Gilbert Melendez
Heavyweight Championship - a rematch between Alistair Overeem and Fabricio Werdum. I'm not sure why Brett Rogers isn't getting this fight?
Middleweight Championship - another rematch between Nick Diaz and Joe Riggs

Thomson -vs- Melendez and Overeem -vs- Werdum are the two I'm looking forward to most.

It's pretty wild to see a female bout headlining an event with not only one, but three male championship bouts on the same card. It'll be a big night for women's MMA.

NateDizz

I can't believe Affliction is not even two weeks away. Another card I'm very excited about.

Fedor Emelianenko -vs- Josh Barnett
Jorge Santiago -vs- Vitor Belfort
Gegard Mousasi -vs- Renato Sobral
Jay Hieron -vs- Paul Daley
Chase Gormley -vs- Ben Rothwell

Five fights that have my interest. It probably won't be too long after this event before we hear if this will be the last card or not. Tom Atencio is claiming that he's on his way to securing a deal that will keep Fedor until 2012 but there has been alot of speculation that this will be the last event. They've put on three great cards so far and for that reason I'd love to see them succeed, but there's no denying that after this event there's not a whole lot of decent fights they could make without getting more talent.

its just my opinion, but Affliction's problem isnt a shortage of fighters nor is it a shortage of possible fights. Its the amount of money that they burn to put on each of their shows. Fedor alone eats a monstrous chunk of money. Ive heard all kinds of reasons why that might not be Affliction's problem i.e, M-1 is footing the bill, its Trump's cash, they can always sell more t-shirts. At the end of the day, its all about money, and IMO when you cant turn a profit its just a matter of time before you sink. It doesnt matter if you have Trump or Buddha or even a fuckin leprechaun with his pot 'o gold backing you....if all you do is lose money, anyone with even the slightest amount of business savvy is going to get while the getting is good.

NateDizz

No doubt as a company their biggest problem is the money they burn and that's the reason they'll go down if they do. I wasn't trying to say that the shortage of fighters and potential fights was their problem and the reason they may not succeed. I was just saying that I hope they do succeed but if they do there won't be alot of appealing fights left unless they sign some more talent which won't be possible if they continue to give guys like Arlovski over a million to fight. If they flop it'll be entirely due to their financial situation.

No doubt as a company their biggest problem is the money they burn and that's the reason they'll go down if they do. I wasn't trying to say that the shortage of fighters and potential fights was their problem and the reason they may not succeed. I was just saying that I hope they do succeed but if they do there won't be alot of appealing fights left unless they sign some more talent which won't be possible if they continue to give guys like Arlovski over a million to fight. If they flop it'll be entirely due to their financial situation.

Bingo. Well said.

Dont think that im trying to argue with ya here, just kinda playing devil's advocate.

ohh and since you heard about Hendo v Franklin 2, im sure you heard about Matt Hamill getting replaced by Krzysztof Soszynski in the fight with Brandon Vera. IMO this makes for a much more exciting matchup. I feel that K-Sos is quite a bit more of a well-rounded fighter than Hamill. I have a feeling that this one will speak volumes on whether Vera is going to go anywhere at 205 or if he should keep cutting and drop to 185. (a weight that i think better suits his body type)

~~EDIT~~(yea the whole post)

WOW....these people on most major MMA sites really need to fact check their shit.

Most websites had reported that Kimo Leopoldo had died of a heart attack. Now i find updates telling me that hes alive but havent been able to locate him.

Sorry if anyone took my word as gospel, i got fooled myself.

Last edited:

NateDizz

Affliction is looking for someone else to fight Fedor because the CSAC won't license Josh Barnett after a positive result on a pre-fight test. Vitor has said he'll take the fight and apparantly Bobby Lashley was an option too. I think Lashley shouldn't even be considered at this point and Vitor should just relax and stay focused at middleweight. I think they should be pursuing Brett Rogers to fill in for Barnett. Even Jeff Monson and Ben Rothwell would be more appealing to me.

Also, Alistair Overeem -vs- Fabricio Werdum for the Strikeforce heavyweight title is cancelled for August 15th due to Alistair aggravating a previous hand injury. Four titles are down to three. Werdum could be a replacement for Barnett as well seeing as how he's already been training, he'd just have to be ready a couple weeks early.

it doesnt surprise me that Barnett would test hot again. What surprises me is the conflicting reports ive been reading on the status of this fight. I know that Vitor wants the fight, but other outlets have said that the fight is canceled. If the latter is true, thats all she wrote for Affliction. Plain and simple. Fedor is their main draw and the general public isnt fully aware of the other fighters in their stable. What does this mean?? For starters, ticket sales are going to stall. Also the PPV numbers are going to be garbage. I have a feeling that the PPV numbers are going to suck even if they put someone like Vitor in there. Hell there are some people clamoring for Affliction to throw Tito Ortiz in there! (anyone else feel that this would be both a bad fight AND a bad career move for Tito?)

Not only do they have to deal with the fact that their main event went up in smoke, but if the Fedor fight IS canceled...they would still have to compensate Fedor in some way. So now Fedor is going to scoop up a boatload of Affliction's cash and may not even have to fight???

I might be wrong, but isnt Vitor fighting at 185? If thats correct then Fedor is gonna have 40-50 pounds on him come fight night.

NateDizz

Straight from Tom Atencio.....

“I’ve got three people I am speaking with,” Atencio said. “… Negotiations are in place, but until I have a contract finalized and it’s done, I’m just not going to say anything. It just doesn’t make any sense to get anybody’s hopes up.”

Atencio said finding an opponent for Fedor has not been a problem and that the No. 1-ranked heavyweight will fight anyone.

“It’s just (about) making sure we give the fans the best opponent possible for Fedor,” Atencio said. “He was fighting Josh Barnett, the number two fighter in the world. Now we have run into a little bit of a snag, and we’re correcting it.”

Latest posts

Latest posts