What's new

The Official MMA Discussion

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
Nate Marquardt out of the fight! rumor is he could not make weight in time....

Story now fights Charlie Brenneman , Barry and Kongo is now the main event, this card just got super shitty....

from a ok card to a super shitty card, no live weigh in's or interviews, yawn......

silver hawaiian

Veteran
I just saw that too! Crazy. Marquardt out of the fight AND out of a job with the UFC.

Story v Brenneman...?! Meh. I actually think the Kongo/Barry fight could be fireworks. We'll see if they keep it a kickboxing match, or if one tries to take the other down since they're both lousy on the ground.

B

Bonsaifan

Kongo will try to take him down and lay some GnP.
I think Nate's got the hep or some other communicable ailment.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
i like pat berry.. leg kicked the shit out of joey beltran, i liked that.

anyone know what happened with marquarddt

NateDizz

Beautiful card last night!

Cruz really put on a show and I think he decisively won the fight. I don't think he won all 5 rounds necasarily but I don't feel like he lost any either so I ended up with a scorecard of 50-47, giving rounds 1 and 4 a 10-10 score. Outside of himself, Cruz has beaten everyone else occupying the top 5 of the division (including Joseph Benevidaz twice) so I'm not sure where the UFC goes from here with him. I guess Demetrius Johnson would be their best bet, despite the fact he got the judge's decision in his last fight against Miguel Torres in a fight in which he arguably lost all 3 rounds.. Either that or throw him in a fight with Brad Pickett to determine a #1 contender.

Anyone catch the Bowles -vs- Mizugaki fight on Facebook? I didn't see it but I heard Bowles messed up his hand again (how many times is this now?) and will be on the shelf once again. It's too bad because he's a legit talent at 135 and a bout with Faber would be tasty.

And how about Tito last night? He was the last guy I would have put money on last night and not only did he win, but he did it brilliantly. The throwback gravedigger show was great too. If Forrest loses his next fight with Shogun, Tito just might get what he's asking for.

And knockouts! Lots of them, and some particularly nice ones too. I swear both Condit and Guillard almost killed their respective opponents. Brutal, brutal finishes for both of them showing they can be serious threats in their divisions. I'm not sold on Condit getting a title shot yet, but if GSP beats Diaz, then the welterweight division will be very thin on challengers who GSP has not already beat and Condit will probably be the best option in reality. Just goes to show how well GSP has cleaned up welterweight. Either that or Charlie Brenneman? ;)

As for Guillard, there's any number of great fights for him at lightweight right now. The title is going to be tied up for seemingly quite a while longer so there's plenty of time for him to try and weed out some of the other potential challengers in a deep division. Why not Dos Anjos? The timing would be right anyways, not to mention both are coming off impressive showings. Dos Anjos' stoppage of Sotiropolous may not have been the best on the night, but it was definitely impressive in it's own right.

Lastly, Siver beat Wiman fair and square. 29-28. Thoughts?

peace fellas :rasta:

NateDizz

Just looking ahead at the MMA calendar and it seems we won't be getting another UFC for a month+ or another Strikeforce until the end of this month.

Luckily there's alot of nice fights happening in the smaller promotions this month.

First will be Dream: Fight for Japan on the 16th where Gegard Mousasi will defend his light heavyweight title and Tatsuya Kawajiri will return after losing his Strikeforce debut against Gil Melendez.

And a couple days later Shooto will be hosting an event where Yasuhiro Urushitani and Yuki Shojo will rematch for the flyweight title and top world ranking. Notable Shooto bantamweight Masakatsu Ueda will be fighting Shooto legend Rumina Sato on the card as well.

Lastly, on the 23rd Bellator will have another watchable card with Patricio Freire fighting Joe Warren in a rematch for the featherweight title as well as Marlon Sandro fighting in the second round of the featherweight tournament, hopefully taking a step closer to fighting the winner of said title fight.

Admittedly over the last little while, the last year especially, I've really noticed the steady decline of Japanese MMA and have really spent alot less time tuning in and trying to keep up with it all. Shooto has really lost alot of their lustre so I only tune into the occasional card by them, same with Pancrase. And I'll watch Dream and Sengoku, but those events are being put on less and less and are getting weaker and weaker. With the emergence of the UFC's 145 and 135 pound divisions and their talks of incorporating flyweight (125) very soon, it seems likely that Japanese MMA will all but be buried in the very near future.

Hey, what's happening fellas..
I used to box a bit, been getting into the UFC for a lil bit now..
Loved the Cruz vs Faber.. Their fight showed all that was good about UFC IMO.. Faber got a few tasty shots in and I thought he maybe had the better of the stand-up although Cruz much better on the ground and with his kicks and shaded it overall.. His style is awkward!
Was very disappointed with Wanderlei Silva as he is one of my favourites with his all out aggressive stand-up style.. Brother got banged out quick too!!

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
what about leben?

he started to retreat under the ax murderers assault. he took one step backwards then remembered what he said he would do. stepped back into the pocket and fired away like a madman.

whatever you do don't hit that kid and not knock him the fuck out!!! if you are gonna pop him you better put this kat to sleep!

zenoonez

Veteran
Lol he said he wanted to box? Wladimir Klitschko would eat his children. Whatevs, maybe it is his road to the UFC?

NateDizz

That link isn't working for me - but I heard something about him having an issue with one of his toes (broken?) and he felt he wouldn't be ready to fight by the end of September when his next bout in the tournament was originally scheduled. Apparently Zuffa brass wern't happy about it and removed him from the tournament all together. Now, I don't know if this is some scheme to get him into the UFC quicker (I certainly hope so), but I know that Dana White doesn't seem too pleased about the situation so I'm not terribly optimistic.. Hopefully we get some more news regarding this soon.

And on the topic of Strikeforce - anyone going to be catching the show next weekend?

Emelianenko -vs- Henderson should be interesting to say the least. Both guys have been in much better standing over the years and seen better days in their careers but this fight should be something none-the-less.

Fedor obviously needs this win against a much smaller man in Dan Henderson, especially coming off a couple of crushing defeats in his last couple of bouts. A loss here could essentially bury most people's hopes that the Last Emp. might actually have some big wins left in his career. Hendo really has nothing to lose here, but I'm not so sure he has much to gain either. Even with a clear cut win, I don't think Dan has any intentions of moving up to heavyweight, and it won't increase his standing at light heavyweight within Strikeforce because he already holds that crown. It would be a nice feather to have in his cap, but it would hardly hold as much weight as it would if he beat Fedor pre-Werdum. The big prize would be if the UFC really took notice and tried to get him back in the octagon for some big fights.

The rest of the card isn't great but I'm particularly excited because a couple of my favourites in Robbie Lawler and Paul Daley will be fighting. I'm not so sure either would be able to get to the top, or even get a shot at their divsion's respective champions if they were to return to the UFC, but I think both could definitely bring some excitement and pick up some decent wins. That's really only if they pick up wins tomorrow though, and to be honest, I'm not sure if they both will. Cormier and Kennedy are no joke.

I'm just itching so bad for Strikeforce to dissolve into the UFC already, but that still probably won't be for awhile unfortunately. When that merger finally happens (along with the incorporation of the flyweight division) the UFC will be very very close to monopolizing the top talent in the sport - which may not be great for the fighters, but is certainly great for the fans. All that will really be left will be Bellator, a couple guys in Dream, and Mamed Khalidov along with whatever top flyweights they don't immediately acquire. That's unreal - there are big big things coming up in the future for MMA.

As far as I'm concerned, when these two crucial changes happen, we will be in the midst of the greatest era of MMA ever.

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
Who watched Hendo put Fedor to sleep last night, what a punch, from underneath even

An exciting fight, too bad the womens bantamweight match was probably one of the most boring ones right before it

zenoonez

Veteran
I didn't like the stoppage personally but yea, hell of a punch from Hendo. Still not as good as the Bisping ko :)

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
I didn't like the stoppage personally but yea, hell of a punch from Hendo. Still not as good as the Bisping ko :)

Fedor had bounced back right as the ref was calling it, but there is no doubt he was out when he hit the ground

zenoonez

Veteran
I just don't think being temporarily unaware makes for a good stoppage, he was in the act of defending himself coherently when the stoppage was made. I mean if we wanted to stop every fight when a person went to sleep for a second or two the first punch that knocked someone down would end almost every fight. I mean seriously, if you see someones legs buckle from a punch or kick it means their brain took a micro nap. I don't know, I am just in favor of more latitude when it comes to that sort of thing especially with someone as experienced as Fedor. Its truly a shame he didn't go to the UFC when he was unbeatable. It would have been interesting to see him against some of that competition while he was blowing through pride.

NateDizz

I'm cool with the stoppage - and this is coming from someone with a sadistic love for the knockout.

Fedor went totally flat on his face unconscious for a (very) brief moment, but it doesn't change that fact that it happened. When you see guys get knocked down in fights and then recover, they never went unconscious, but just got a good jolt through their system. This fight was kind of like the fight where Koscheck got knocked out by Paulo Thiago. Koscheck was completely out cold on his way to the floor and as soon as he hit the mat he regained consciousness and seemed to be okay. But the fact is is that he was dead just like Fedor was if only for a very short time. It's shocking and unbelievable how quickly Fedor was able to get his shit together, but especially after watching the replays at different angles I think it was a fair call.

I never was a huge fan of the guy but it was tough seeing the look in his eyes after that fight. Three in a row, he's got to be thinking it's pretty much over for himself. One of the greatest of all time, hands down, realizing the direction his career is now heading in after so much success and glory. Must be really tough..

One thing I'm not cool with though is Tyron Woodley and his awful style of fighting. I guess it's a great strategy because it wins fights and he will continue to do so as long as he sticks to it, but to a huge fan of the martial arts - it's almost unbearable to see guys like him polluting the landscape and knocking off interesting contenders along the way. Don't get me wrong - I love wrestling as much as anyone (I could watch Ben Askren and his seemless, smooth, and seemingly effortless transitions from any position to any position all day long) but guys like Woodley are lame plain and simple. He's the sort of guy I root to see at the receiving end of a nice knockout.

Lawler's performance was pretty disappointing too. Dancing around like Dominick Cruz, minues any offensive output at all in the first round and dancing around with his hands at his waist in the third, again no offensive output was a horrible way to go out. Kennedy's immediate "It's just blood" exclamation to the judges after the fight was pretty funny though.

NateDizz

Who's feeling 133 this weekend?

I definitely think it's the weakest numbered UFC event this year by a fair margin but after a pretty slow few weeks of MMA it's very welcomed.

Evans -vs- Ortiz 2 is a decent scrap, especially with the storyline of the first fight and Tito's recent success and I like Mendes -vs- Yahya alot because it's another fight that Mendes should win to season himself a little more before his title shot.

Besides that I want to see Belfort -vs- Akiyama and Hamill -vs- Gustafsson is probably a better fight than originally planned but besides that the card is out of sight for me.