What's new

The Official MMA Discussion

CARE giver

Sour Bubble Connoisseur
Veteran
Jose Aldo out of UFC 125 due to injury. I was really looking forward to that fight too :(

I personally think he's top 3 pound for pound in the world. But he passed on the fight with Kenny Florian too. I think he might just be nervous.

kick.gif

holy fuck!

NateDizz

That had to be one of the top five most spectacular things I've ever seen in MMA. Absolutely crazy.

It'll be intersting to see how he fits into the UFC's much deeper lightweight division. I hear he's getting the next title shot but I don't think he has what it takes to knock off Frankie Edgar or Gray Maynard at this point, no matter who wins that fight. I think he'll win big fights in the UFC and he has what it takes to be a top guy, I just can't see him getting through either of those two just yet.

Speaking of Maynard -vs- Edgar, I gotta say it's a fight I'm really excited about, as well as UFC 125 as a whole. You can't complain about a card that hosts all of the following fights.....

Edgar -vs- Maynard
Mike Thomas Brown -vs- Diego Nunes
Josh Grispi -vs- Dustin Poirier
Thiago Silva -vs- Brandon Vera
Chris Leben -vs- Brian Stann
Takanori Gomi -vs- Clay Guida

It's been awhile, but I gotta gripe about the card layout in terms of main card and under card though. I know there's too many good fights to put them all on the main card but putting the Brown -vs- Nunes and Grispi -vs- Poirier fights on the undercard seems like a pretty poor idea to me. Brown is a top-3 guy in a new division for the promotion against another top-10 guy in Nunes, and Grispi is supposed to be fighting Aldo in the first ever UFC featherweight title fight when Aldo returns, so why not get him some exposure by throwing him on the main card so people will know this guy a bit before he fights for the title?

I know it's going to be hard to get all the best fights on the main cards now due to all the new faces that come with two new divisions, (and I give the UFC big props for fixing this problem over the past year), but these just seem like two blatant omissions to me. Not to mention, they are two guaranteed exciting fights with high stakes. Nate Diaz -vs- Dong Hyun Kim has no business being on the main card over either of those fights and as much as I hate to say it (because it's a fight I really want to see), Gomi -vs- Guida could get bumped down too to make way for these two.

I'm sure anyone unfamiliar with the WEC would disagree quickly though.

Peace fellas.

wdr

Veteran
Lets go back to Valasqez- Lesnar. Ive never belived in Lesnar. I knew he isnt the strongest on the ground (Mir knee bar) and i was sure he cant beat Cain stand up. To be honest i didnt expect that Lesnar will be smashed out like this to ;) I think it was one of the last Brock fight in MMA.

peace :joint:

BabyHuey

I heard Brock was "re-evaluating" his
decision to become a MMA fighter and has
basically not trained since his defeat?
I do think he has 1 more fight on his contract
so time will tell.

NateDizz

How'd you guys score Edgar -vs- Maynard last night??

My initial impression and scorecard was for Edgar (48-47) but I'll have to rewatch it again to really be sure. I think Maynard definitely got a 10-8 in the first round, I think Edgar won rounds 2, 4, and 5 with a 10-9, and I scored the third round a 10-10.

Guyute54

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I actually scored it a draw myself as I thought Frankie won round 2, 4 and 5 . But had Maynard winning the first round 10/8. I'm kind of pissed that Maynard gets another immediate shot and Pettis now has to sit and wait for his prommissed title shot. I know Maynard fought his ass off and it was a very close fight, but I feel he got his chance and should have to wait to get another shot. Beacause Pettis fought his ass off too and deserves what was prommised to him.

Grisspi would have gotten killed by Aldo he looked bad. Baroni, Vera, and Davis should probley start thinking of hanging it up. Davis did look good but he's getting up there in age and I don't think a title is going to be in his future any time soon.

B

Beerdo

I think a draw was the right call. Sucks for Pettis though.
I would have to agree that Grispi wouldn't have stood a chance against Aldo.
Also Vera and Davis should both think about finding new line of work. What was Marcus thinking about making a run for the lw belt. Imo that fight last night was Davis last fight. I doubt he would have even been given any other WW fights they offered him one more shot to keep his job as a LW, and I didn't work out. As for Vera did you see how he was covering up on the ground last night. He seemed very nervous about getting hit in the face. He took lots of punishment Ill give him that, but he just seemed to be covering up differently on the mat. I dunno its just the impression I got. But who wouldn't after the 2 plates he got in his face from the last fight. 2 fights in a row requiring facial reconstruction Id say yeah its time to find a new line of work.
I'm real curious to see if they keep Baroni around after yet another loss. If it was any other fighter I'm sure he would be cut , but is the New York Bad Ass were talking about here Fucking Phil Baroni. :headbange

the NYBA has gotten cut before, and it looks like he will again. if SF doesnt pick him up...looks like its back to Japan for him. unless...god forbid, local shows.

and you're right. a draw was the right call.

on another note....whats Leben's chances to survive the chopping block? i know he always leaves it in the cage...but what with his DUI troubles (again) and this loss. who knows?

Guyute54

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think Leben is very safe. He stepped up for the organization and filled in and stuff like that dosen't go unoticed in the UFC. He's always there to fight and put on a good show which sells tickets and in the big picture that is what is most important to the UFC.

NateDizz

Grisspi would have gotten killed by Aldo he looked bad.

Wow - tell me about it. Grispi probably thought it was just a tune-up to keep him warm until he faces Aldo and he payed dearly. No more title shot. I know there was some buzz about Poirier being a livedog for the upset but I really didn't see any way for him to get past Grispi besides trying to walk through him like he did to Zachary Micklewright in his last fight. But Grispi I figured would be wise and capable enough to get it to the ground and try to trap him there over the course of the fight. It's hard not to respect the kid after that performance!

Guyute54

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bummer Brown lost again is that 3 of his last 4 he lost? I remeber hearing he was having some personal troubles for awhile there.

And the latest cuts are - Brandon Vera, Phil Baroni, and Marcus Davis. They cut a guy from the prelims too Antonio McKee.

And then there's Chael Sonnen wonder if he will ever fight again?

Sonnen has bee suspended. DW called it "mutually agreed upon", but thats a bunch of bullshit. hes going into damage control mode.

i wouldnt be suprised to see sonnen let go as soon as there is enough distance between him and the organization. my guess is that SF will pick him up just like they did barnett.

...if not, theres always the Jose Canseco fight in japan. where mma careers go to die.