What's new

The Official MMA Discussion

NateDizz

Yeah I was just reading what he said too. Carwin, as well as his camp, was adamant that he could do 5 rounds no problem so I was pretty shocked to see him appear out of gas in just one - even if he did try to go berserk for awhile there. 5 rounds in the gym is obviously alot different than 5 rounds in the cage, especially with a guy the size of Lesnar, but I have to take his word to some extent that he just seized up and it wasn't entirely due to being out of gas. I've had muscles spasms and lockouts while doing little to nothing. I've had my entire calf and thigh lockup while sitting on the couch almost stationary. Brutal pain, brough me to the floor. I don't see anyone at that size having cardio like Brock has, but I also don't think his is really as bad as it appeared last night.

And Carwin is not the sort of cat to come up with illegitimate excuses. He's never been anything but a good sport and he's always been humble and given credit where it's due as well as criticism of himself. I can't justify calling him a liar so I'll take his word for it, to some extent anyways. The sport is full of guys coming up with excuses, and I'm not one to bite, but I'm going for it this time. (Like I said though - he can't put the whole blame for the loss on this and I don't think he is trying to). No doubt he has to improve it though. Both of them have alot work to do if they plan on ruling the division.

Kalicokitty

The cat that loves cannabis
Veteran
It defiantly sounds like an excuse, the question is whether it's a legitimate one or not.
He's claiming something different then just being "out of gas" he's says he's never felt that way before.

I will have to watch a replay now and look for it.

Bababooey

Horse-toothed Jackass
Veteran
If he said it, i believe him. If it can happen to other people, then it could happen to him. Im sure hes never wailed on someone that long or hard before, and his nerves just locked up on him. Maybe an overflow of calcium or potassium to the muscles. It was the biggest night of his life and maybe in the excitement, his brain just sabotaged his body...
He really went down meekly in the second round, didnt even appear to offer much resistance to Lesnar on the ground. If he had even tried to wriggle out or move... but he just laid there.

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
If he said it, i believe him. If it can happen to other people, then it could happen to him. Im sure hes never wailed on someone that long or hard before, and his nerves just locked up on him. Maybe an overflow of calcium or potassium to the muscles. It was the biggest night of his life and maybe in the excitement, his brain just sabotaged his body...
He really went down meekly in the second round, didnt even appear to offer much resistance to Lesnar on the ground. If he had even tried to wriggle out or move... but he just laid there.

i disagree once brock locked his hands together there was no wiggling... he could have reguarded when he felt it then swam in and fought for the overhook but he was gassed.
once a guy as strong as brock locks down on that arm tri force and wiggle wont help. hips on hips is the only to keep from going night night.

Japanfreakier

Veteran
I just finished watching K1 World Max middle and light weight tournament and I have to say it was so much better than UFC 116 which bore me.

NateDizz

I don't know how many people are actually interested but there's a few good fights coming up this weekend.

Cole Escovedo will be fighting for the second time under the Tachi Palace Fights banner in a rematch with Michael McDonald who he beat last year in their first meeting. He used to be the WEC feathweight champion (until Urijah Faber beat him and took the crown) but he's fighting at bantamweight now where he's undefeated since his return in 2009 after taking 3 years off with a serious staph infection that left him partially paralyzed and in need of spinal surgery. Michael McDonald is no slouch though (he earned a TKO victory over former WEC contender Manny Tapia earlier this year) and it should be a great fight. Escovedo, and McDonald if he wins, are two guys that the WEC really should be chasing after.

Josh Barnett will be fighting Geronimo dos Santos under the newly formed Impact Fighting Championship banner (which will also hold a card with Paul Daley who was recently booted from the UFC later this month). Hopefully he can string together some wins and work his way back towards another UFC contract. He's tested positive for a banned substance recently, as well as in the past, which is too bad - but if he can keep it clean he'd be a great addition to the blossoming heavyweight division.

Lastly, Dream 15 will also be this weekend. I know there are a few Dream fans on here so hopefully some of you chime in. Shinya Aoki will finally face off with another top-10 lightweight in Tatsuya Kawajiri for the Dream lightweight belt and title. Former Grand Prix winner Gegard Mousasi will be making his return after losing his Strikeforce 205 pound title against UFC castaway Jake O'Brien in the first round of their tournament to crown a champion. And a 2-time K-1 Grand Prix winner Gesias Cavalcante will be fighting Katsunori Kikuno. It should be a great card - definitely the best Dream card so far this year. I heard the Michihiro Omigawa may also be competing on the card but I don't know if that's confirmed or not.

Peace fellas!

NateDizz

Anyone end up shelling out the dough for Impact FC 2 last night? I can't say I feel proud about it, but I just had to.. hah. Atleast they threw in Josh Barnett's fight from the first event from last week.

Paul Daley was fighting for the first time since he was given the boot from the UFC and being that he's a favourite of mine I had to catch it. The guy's options are limited now though unfortunately. A fight with Daniel Acacio is not the sort of fight he should be taking. I don't know the terms of his suspension stateside but hopefully when that blows over he can get himself a deal somewhere, although there's not a whole lot of worthwhile options for him besides the UFC.

Given the circumstances, I'd most like to see him sign with Bellator Fighting Championships and enter the next middleweight tournament. Fights with Ben Askren and Dan Hornbuckle would be worthwhile fights in my eyes. Besides that, Dream and Strikeforce are the only other promotions that can set up a worthwhile fight for him but each could probably only put up one worthy bout. A fight with Nick Diaz for Dream is probably the best non-UFC fight available to him and Jay Hieron in Strikeforce is another that would get my attention. But I'd still rather see him fighting for BFC based on they can offer up more than one legitimate challenger.

NateDizz

How many people have Versus and will be able to catch the upcoming UFC event on the first? I think the card stacks up pretty good with the first card for the network. Neither was stellar but both have a few good scraps.

Jon Jones and Vladmir Matyushenko both fought on the last Versus card and now will be fighting each other on this one. I think Matyushenko is definitely overlooked in the division (he's more relevent today than guys like Jardine and Liddell yet gets almost no recognition) but I still think Bones Jones should take this fight. It's a great fight for him to further his progression in the sport and slowly build his game. There's no need to rush him straight to a title shot. This fight makes perfect sense to me and I don't know why so many people are complaining about it. Matyushenko is his stiffest test to date I think and this to me ranks up there with some of the best matchmaking of the year so far.

Tyson Griffin stepping in for Joe Stevenson against Takanori Gomi definitely made that fight more interesting. I'm interested to see how Griffin bounces back from his last loss. I don't think people should be counting him out just yet.

And the jewel of the card in my eyes is the Yushin Okami -vs- Mark Munoz fight. Okami is a huge step up in competition for Munoz and if he can win this fight then he's going to be one of the guys in the mix. And for Yushin, a win here should get him a bigger name and higher profile fight that he deserves. I'd love to see an Okami -vs- Belfort fight right now. It'd allow Vitor to get in another fight before possibly fighting for the title and it would give Yushin a big enough win to propel him right up there.

Peace fellas.