What's new

The Official Hempy Bucket Thread

Heyoka23

So... apparently I miss labeled a flat of plants 4 weeks ago and after flipping the tester plant and finding it to be male, I culled the wrong cuttings a month ago. I now have almost a flat of sausages. Good times.

LOL! Sorry for your fuck up. Flat of sausages. lol.

Heyoka23

4 gal buckets 1.75

4 gal buckets 1.75

While deciding upon containers for my Hempy buckets I came across 4 gallon mop buckets at Dollar General (southeast US). They are black plastic and 1.75 each. I found a similar mop bucket in blue at Autozone for 2.00 . I've had plants in them for a few weeks now without any trouble.

I'm new at hempy's and just want to let others know that I had issues at 6.2 ph and my plants are much happier at 5.4-5.9 . I am experimenting with feeding at 5.4 and watering at 5.8 .

someotherguy

Veteran
While deciding upon containers for my Hempy buckets I came across 4 gallon mop buckets at Dollar General (southeast US). They are black plastic and 1.75 each. I found a similar mop bucket in blue at Autozone for 2.00 . I've had plants in them for a few weeks now without any trouble.

I'm new at hempy's and just want to let others know that I had issues at 6.2 ph and my plants are much happier at 5.4-5.9 . I am experimenting with feeding at 5.4 and watering at 5.8 .

Can you post a picture or 2? ...and what are you using for media? ...perlite? ...coco? ...or something else?

I ask because i'm preparing to begin my first hempy experiment using 33.5 ounce Folgers coffee cans filled with coco and I figure i'll want bigger containers after I get familiar enough to decide whether I like hempy growing or not.

I suspect I will so i'm shopping for containers, lol.

Peace, and stay safe, SOG

G

Graham Purwatt

it can be reused but cleaning perlite is a real pita. then again,you can only dispose of so much perlite.another reason i like coco

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
I have reused perlite for a few years and it's not that hard to deal with (IMHO). After removing the plant, the root ball goes into a net-pot, it gets rinsed though and after all the perlite is free from roots, the medium is put into a larger tote and flushed with ph'd water + h202 (1/2 tsp/gal). After the medium is dry, it's ready. It may seem a little like a pain (in the fact that it's not run-to-waste medium) but it is wayyyy cheaper this way. A large bag of perlite from an Ag-supply type of store may cost $20, but we've got 3 of these and it supports a perpetual garden (4gal buckets x 40 total).

Warped1

I'm a victim of fast women and slow horses
Veteran
I'm kinda planning on using my medium more than once as well. I don't think it would be a problem

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
It's really not that difficult, the key thing is to make sure you properly flush out the plant and once the roots have been cleaned out, be sure to flush out the medium really well.

Warped1

Veteran
I just really like the idea of re-using my medium, and it's a lot cleaner than soil.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
I'm thinking of adding hydroton to my medium to give the plants a little something more to hang on to....does this make sense? I'm happy with the overall performance of the perlite/vermiculite mix but I am a bit unsure about how this addition would add to watering intervals. Currently each plant gets watered every other day. I've got a bunch of hydroton sitting around and wanted to use it/make my current medium more hardy. Any suggestions?

stihgnobevoli

Veteran

anyone have experience with hempy in small containers like these half gallon juice bottles? i tried with the solo cups seen in the picture but those plants all died, dried out like 1 day, too much work to keep on top of em.

i switched up to these bottles and that was working for a while but they appear to allow so much root mass to grow in such a small space that it also drains water really fast. i got one thats all perlite and another i was experimenting with that has mostly all perlite in the bottom 3-4 inches, an inch or 2 of coco-peat mix, and another inch of perlite on top. this hold moisture longer than straight perlite but even this has some issues.

these are old pics and not really indicative of what it looks like now, but see the droopy leaves with the yellowing and splotches? like theres no nutes right? but i've only been feeding these clones since they rooted. its much better now, they look like the soil mother on the right in the pic. but they have a branch or 2 on each that continuously look underwatered and underfed. imagine these plants as a branch on the one on the right.

i notice the perlite only one dries out from the top fast, almost as if most of the water evaporates before the plant uses it. i think this is creating dry pockets for some of the roots and causing my issues.

anyone else do hempy in small containers?

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
I know osecretgarden uses (or has used) gatorade bottles with some of his grows, maybe he can chime in on this....I use 12oz cups after they've rooted or I start seeds in the 12oz cups as well. They stay in there for a week or two before going on to their final container. I water newly rooted clones and seedlings once a day (very small amount). Once they're established in the mini hempy cup the waterings can become less frequent. hth.

Warped1

Veteran
I remember checking out osecretgarden before, but I can't recall what medium he was using. I think if you want to use the smaller containers then maybe coco or vermiculite would help hold the moisture.

Warped1

Veteran
I knew he was using perlite and vermiculite, but not what percentages. I went back and looked and at the end he was using between a 60/40 mix and a 70/30 mix..perlite/vermiculite

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
I've got a few 14g buckets that I've added hydroton along with the normal medium...going to put 3 rooted cuttings in each one and veg till 18". I've tried this once before with a few differences (1-4 plants, no hydroton, vegged to 36") the plants did well, but I should have pruned a lot more. I ended up with a bunch of popcorn and it was sloppy. I don't know why I want to use these totes so bad...they're just in the storage room....lonely. This time, I'm going to LST & prune till we're at the right height/shape and then we'll see how they do. Each of the 3 cuttings will be pruned and LST'd to a football upright shape. Any suggestions or helpful tips for using containers this size will be greatly appreciated. As stated, I have run with these containers in the past....I'm just hoping for an overall better experience. Thanks!
@stihg-any update on how your babies are doing?

HighDesertJoe

COME ON PEOPLE NOW
Veteran

anyone have experience with hempy in small containers like these half gallon juice bottles? i tried with the solo cups seen in the picture but those plants all died, dried out like 1 day, too much work to keep on top of em.

i switched up to these bottles and that was working for a while but they appear to allow so much root mass to grow in such a small space that it also drains water really fast. i got one thats all perlite and another i was experimenting with that has mostly all perlite in the bottom 3-4 inches, an inch or 2 of coco-peat mix, and another inch of perlite on top. this hold moisture longer than straight perlite but even this has some issues.

these are old pics and not really indicative of what it looks like now, but see the droopy leaves with the yellowing and splotches? like theres no nutes right? but i've only been feeding these clones since they rooted. its much better now, they look like the soil mother on the right in the pic. but they have a branch or 2 on each that continuously look underwatered and underfed. imagine these plants as a branch on the one on the right.

i notice the perlite only one dries out from the top fast, almost as if most of the water evaporates before the plant uses it. i think this is creating dry pockets for some of the roots and causing my issues.

anyone else do hempy in small containers?
I grew this in a 36 oz beer like Hempy cup using
3 parts Perlite to 1 part Vermiculite fertilizing with MaxiBloom every time I watered up till when I started flushing 2-3 weeks before harvest.
It's labor of love because I had to feed/water 3-4 times a day.
picture.php

What's your ventilation like?

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
hey, theyre doing better, still got a few leaves in the bunch like 5-10 per plant that always look all wilty like they aren't getting water, a few here and there have the edges of the leaves curling up very slightly, once i started feeding again they improved.

i dug down in the perlite today on the one with straight perlite and i didnt have to scrape far, like 2cm down and i see theres roots there too. practically colonized the whole thing, the magic of hempy. but the fact that it dries so fast and the whole thing is like one big rootball i assume the roots up top drying out are the cause of the wilting leaves. im gonna have to figure out a way to keep these watered longer. i taped over the drainage holes which were already 2x higher than "hempy spec" (4") and i just filled to the 3/4 mark, by the end of the day or rather a few hours later, the water level was already below the level of the holes. a day later and i think i may be able to go one more day before i need to water, or at least 12 hours more. its pretty much a PPK now but instead of plain solution theres perlite all in it. best of both worlds i guess. this hempy is nice for the growth but i cant help think it works better in really large containers and with some sort of drip feed.

anyway heres some pics.
picture.php

this one is the perlite/coco/peat mix. i think i put half perlite at the bottom, a layer 35% of coco/peat seed starter mix in the middle, and topped with perlite the rest of the way. i had just did some pruning of the tops. only halfway through stretch, fuckin hard mode sativa's.
picture.php

this is number 2, in straight perlite, i believe this one is before a topping, i had to train the tops down last week before all the flowers started, i wanna top it but its just gonna encourage it to grow bigger.
picture.php

this one is number 3, all coco/peat mix it was in flower from clone i just threw it in as soon as it got roots. but i left out of town for a month and everything died except these 3 plants, the 2 hempy were still in the veg box hanging on for dear life, and this one in the flower cab had almost all the way dried out and i lost all my seeds i was making, cept 2 magic immature white ones that fell in the dirt and sprouted. it looks really shitty but shows off the bud structure you can expect later. it starts branching really hard like one after the other like a family tree diagram with a lotta fucking going on. each branch is a bud and the calyxes just stackup on the branch buds like leaves on a tree. craziest plant i've ever seen.
picture.php

lastly this is all the shit i cut off the other day, if i took a picture of em tomorrow you wouldnt think i cut anything. that blue thing is my first growbox rubbermaid tote, i use it for veg now.

i got pretty decent airflow since i don't have a carbon scrubber mounted right now, but it's summer here and that box gets pretty hot regardless. the temps are somewhere in the 80's to low 90's, whenever i check the tops of the plants with my digital thermometer it usually says less than 86, the plants don't look like they have any issues, nothing im not used to seeing anyway. top of the box where the ballasts and shit are is about 100+ on any given sunday, the thermometer i have in there by the exhaust says 103 most of the time but that shit might be broke or need new batteries, when i use the IR themometer its always under 100, in the flower chamber itself its usually under 90 at the top of the canopy, and at the floor level its closer to 80.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts